Exercise & Fitness Community
Relief from itchy legs when walking briskly

Our Exercise & Fitness community to help you take charge of your health. Ask a question, join a conversation, get tips: fitness, nutrition, and management tools / trackers.

To Everyone suffering the "itchy legs when exercising" problem- I followed kakos'' advice and she was absolutely right! You just have to take an antihistamine 30mins- 1hr before going for your run or walk and presto! No itchies!! I tried it the very next day after reading her suggestion in the forum and it was amazing! Yes, the condition we are suffering does have a name too- ' Exercise- induced Uticaria'. Thankyou so much to Kakos, who felt the need to suggest a solution to the problem- it was so thoughtful of you (since you yourself do not actually suffer from it). You are a gem!
I hope you all get the same relief as I have had (with no side effects)- my heart goes out to you all. Thankyou for sharing, Kind Regards, Elia

Itching on exercise may be due to a condition called Exercise urticaria characterized by itching, or hives on the legs, arms, chest or neck during or after exercise.

Sometimes the symptoms may be related to the ingestion of certain foods before exercise, in which case you should stop eating it for some duration and see if the hives stop. You should always exercise in the presence of a partner who is aware of your condition.

Most symptoms can be controlled by taking certain antihistamines prior to exercise as prescribed by your doctor. Even then if symptoms start, you should either slow down or stop exercise. Very rarely your doctor may advise to avoid certain types of exercise.

Regards

Also I have found if you take 2 aspirin about a 1/2 an hour prior that helps to!
I am 17 and have suffered from itchy legs legs whilst walking or exercising for a few years. It got so bad that I stopped walking for longer than about 20 mins at a time, and sometimes it would even start before that.

I went to see the doctor about it and she suggested that my body might be bad at digesting histermine, which could cause it. So she suggested that I cut out foods that are high in histermine from my diet for a period of time try walking and see if that helps. The list is sadly lots of foods, (full list can be found on the internet) and includes citrus fruits, processed meats, fish, tea, coke, chocolate and milk! But I cut them out for 2 weeks and have since been on 3 walks lasting over an hour where I would have almost certainly got itchy legs before, and was absolutely fine!

When I am sure it works, I will bring back one of the foods for a week and keep testing it out, which will hopefully help me work out which one or more of these foods I am allergic too, which I will then be able to avoid permanently.

I suggest that anyone who suffers from itchy legs should try changing their diet and cutting out foods high in histermine. I previously tried taking anti-histermine tablets before walking but it didn't work.
Lucy
mishymoshymarcy If you focus on results, yo... Comment
mishymoshymarcy commented on Dear future me
mishymoshymarcy commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
Achieve your weight goals
Exercise Tracker
Make exercise part of your routine