Exercise & Fitness Community
Resuming exercise after using the antibiotic ciprofloxacin

Our Exercise & Fitness community to help you take charge of your health. Ask a question, join a conversation, get tips: fitness, nutrition, and management tools / trackers.

Hello

I'm wondering when it's safe to resume exercise after using the antibiotic ciprofloxacin.

I do intense cardio (trail-running or versa-climber), and lift about three times per week, alternating days with sunday off.  I'm in pretty good physical condition with the exception of a bulging L5-S1 disc and occasional sciatica on my right side. I was recently moving into a new house - doing some very heavy lifting that I should have called for backup with, and the next day began having sharp pains in my lower-right abdominal quadrant.  I also had serious bowel irregularities and nausea. Afraid that I might have been dealing with appendicitis, I went to the ER. After a CT scan, tons of testing, and a thorough physical examination the doctor concluded that it was as epididymitis.  All STD tests were negative, and there were no clear signs of anything in my blood that would indicate a serious infection, nor did I have a fever. The pain was almost identical to the pain after my vasectomy, except only on the right.  He prescribed ciprofloxacin for two weeks, and I finished the last one yesterday.

I'm literally going crazy not being able to work out for almost three weeks!!  However the antibiotics reference sheet said that tendinitis was a common side effect, especially rupture of the achilles tendon. So, I'm wondering when I can get back out there.

Any help or personal experiences would be awesome.  Thanks!

Avatar_dr_m_tn
As you are being treated for epididymitis you have to take some rest and antibiotics properly for a week and then you can always exercise and there are many other options of antibiotics and you can change to any other antibiotic as work outs are your passion.
Discuss with your physician to change from Ciprofloxacillin.
Do not lift weight and use proper foot wear, do not aggravate your back problem.
Take care!
Thank you for the response.

I'm done with the antibiotics and I've been resting a lot. It seems that I'm ok now.  I'm just wondering how long the medicine affects the tendons. Does it take a long time to fully clear the system or do these potential risks drag on?

Thank you.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Any medicine clears by half life and depending on T1/2 the ciprofloxacillin will flush out of your system. With decreasing blood levels in your system as you have stopped the drug, well you can start exercising. Take care!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The t 1/2 of cipro is 3-5 hrs and it might have cleared mostly by now.
Cipro has good safety record, side effects occur in less than 10 % patients but are generally mild, withdrawal is needed only in 1.5 % cases.
Tendon rupture and tendonitis as a whole across the world few cases reported.

I was asking you to rest because of your epididymitis and not primarily for the cipro.
Take care!
Nighthawk61 commented on oral presentation
KeeLolo commented on jugglin's status
KeeLolo commented on KeeLolo's status
Achieve your weight goals
Exercise Tracker
Make exercise part of your routine