Exercise & Fitness Community
Right buttocks pain esp. when sitting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Right buttocks pain esp. when sitting

I'm a 45 year old male in Atlanta who has right buttocks pain and some lower right back pain, especially when sitting.  Have seen an Orthopaedic/back pain management M.D. in Atlanta and he took an MRI of my lower back and said it looked normal...no bulging discs.  He said it might be pirformis or SI joint related.  Have had a pirformis injection, an SI joint radio frequency ablation (where they burn away the nerve endings) and have also gone to 3 months of therapy.  The therapist says my SI joint is now more stable but my pain continues to be there.  The therapist thinks I may have a bulging disc but my MD says the MRI doesn't show that.  This pain came on suddenly about 4 years ago when I was doing a lot of road bicycling, playing tennis, jogging.  I have curtailed these a lot, since any vigorous exercise seems to flame up the pain.  It is especially painful near the center of the right buttocks, almost near the groin, almost right on the bone where I sit.  But sometimes the pain radiates from the lower right back into the right hip area. When I bend over to tie my shoe, the pain also can go from the right butt into the upper hamstring.  I am new to this website, but was just looking for some advice.  I can't seem to get my doctor or therapist to give me the answer to what is causing my pain.  I would like to get back to physical exercise again. Given that my SI joint is now stable, why is the pain still there?  Could it be my hip? Are there any exercises I should be doing?(I am doing some already from my therapist).  Should I see a neurologist/neurosurgeon?
Thanks you!
You could see an neuro, but your pain is consistant with SI joint problems.  As this has been going on for a while, you may have some arthritis in the joint as well as inflammation.  Ask your doc for some antiinflammatories or arthritis meds and see if those help with the pain.  When sitting you could try a pillow or sitting on something very soft, like latex (sold in mattress stores), which will cushion your bottom and not press the bones together. Try not sitting for too long before getting up and stretching.  Continue with the program the therapist gave you to maintain range of motion at the joint.  good luck
Thanks for the feedback.  I've tried Aleeve and it takes some of the pain away, but once I stop taking it, the pain is back.  I don't want to be popping pills everyday.  I have been doing therapy for 3+ months and it has helped, but the deep buttocks pain still occurs, especially when I go cycling or if I go jogging.

Also, someone told me to have a nerve test done to see what area of my body is causing the pain.  Is that true, and if so, would a Neurologist be the type of doctor to perform such a test?  How would I go about finding a top notch Neurologist in Atlanta?

thanks
When you cycle, you could try a gell seat that has a hole in it for testicle relief.  These are softer seats and may help you be more comfortable.  You can also do muscle exercises for the buttocks, such as tense and release, to help keep muscles on the pelvic floor in good shape as well as the buttocks themselves. Ask your therapist to suggest and show you exercises for these muscles.  You would go to a neurologist for a nerve conduction study. Scattered throughout the country are "nerve specialists" who only do NCS, but I am not sure if there are any in Atlanta. Your insurance company should have a list of doctors or therapists in your area that take your insurance.  You will probably need a referral from your primary health care provider to get an appointment. You can also go to the website for the AMA or the local phone book for doctors in your area.  Hope this helps
I seem to have the same problem as Jerrys only I'm 50.

My problem started about two years ago.  I've seen an Orthopedic specialist, a Neuro-surgeon, had two months of physical therapy, just had my first injection of steroids and the pain persists. I've had an xray of the hips and MRI of the lower back and they show nothing.

I have to admit I'm over-weight by about 50lbs but am active. Actually I started having the problems when jogging at the gym to shed the weight.  It started in the buttocks/hip-joint and started down the legs and into the lower back.

My pain is tollerable but if very annoying. Kinda like having a pressure point pressed on constantly.

I've frightened myself by reading about aortic bulges and found little help online. Most discussion say the symtoms (symptoms) indicate disc bulges or back trauma neither of which I can remember experiencing.

I have another injection of steroids coming up Oct 17th so I'll see how that works. It lasted about a week last time.

Goodluck Jerrys
Halfway

sounds like what I had a few years ago, on my left side. Doctor's couldn't figure out why i had pain down my butt cheek, back of leg and side of my lower leg. And my leg would swell and hurt rel bad with a tingly pain. I ran 6 miles a day. Anyway figured out is was sciatic pain. Had to stop running for a year. Back to running 8 miles a day now. I buy new running shoes every 6 months.
I have been having the same symptoms. I lifted my grandaughter about 2 months ago and hurt on the left side. It finally went away a month later but I am now in severe pain on the right side. It hurts in the upper center of my right buttock and the low back. It feels like it is on top of my hip bone. It also radiates to my hip causing throbbing pain. Most days the pain is tolerable but when I over-do-it, man is it a pain. I had X-Rays done that didn't show anything other than a little Arthritis in my spine. I am 41 years old and have never had back pain in my life. I can't take pain meds due to severe nausea/vomiting with most all of them. I am taking anti-inflammatory meds which helps some but the pressure is always there. In the mornings, I can barely bend over to dry my hair and then by mid-morning it is tolerable, probably because of the Anti-inflammatory meds. The real pain is at the end of the day. At night it hurts so bad that it throbs in my hip and I can't sleep and it feels like I need to stretch it out but I can't. I have been going to PT and they are able to relieve some of it at the time but an hour later it hurts exactly the same again. I can't stand still for more than a few minutes in one spot because it starts spasming. The pain does not go to my leg, it stays in the buttock and low back. I am going to schedule an appt with a Neuro-Surgeon to see what I can do. I really, really, do not want to have surgery but I cannot keep going on like this. You would think that being a nurse would have some advantages in cases such as this with all of the knowledge floating around the hospital, but all are guesses so far and nothing has helped. I ride motorcycles and am about to purchase another new bike, this time a sportbike, I am keeping the cruiser too, just in case, lol. I really need to get better quickly. Please let me know if you have found out anything on your symptoms. I am looking for any solutions.
Take care, Robin
I'm hoping you can help me!  I slipped on my stairs and fell on my butt about 2 years ago.  I've had terrible pain in my right glute and down the back and side of my right leg to the knee.  If I sit for awhile, I have to straighten out my leg because my knee feels cramped.  My right glute or somewhere in my right buttock hurts so bad at night I can barely get comfortable.  I have done stretches, seen chiropractors, physical therapy, had xrays and an MRI with an ortho specialist.  I've also soaked in the hot tub, used ice and heating pads, had deep tissue massages.  I take ibuprofen and baclofen regularly now.  This past weekend, it hurts so bad, I can hardly get into my car without almost screaming in pain.  The orthopedic specialist said the MRI didn't show any disk or pinched nerves.  He thought it might go away on it's own, but it's only gotten worse.  Any ideas?  Would sciatica show up on the MRI?  I don't know what to do anymore.
Thanks,
Pamela
Have you posted this on the back and neck forum as well?
It sounds like sciatica....you need anti inflammatory like Aleve (take with food). Also they have medicated patches I use that get warm and relieve some of the pain.  You need to take the anti inflammatory until it chases that pain away..........its very painful...I know all about that....heating pad if you dont have the medicated pads...do not use together.  Do not do the things that agrivate it, especially when it is flared up.
Hi, madgeOwens, how are you? Thanks again for your thoughts. It might be possibly sciatica but certainly needs further investigation and may be a second opinion from a different orthopedic surgeon. Physical findings and tests if positive, he may order a repeat MRI. Yes, anti-inflammatory medications and neurobion can be given till orthopedic doctor plans a proper care. Rest is most important. Continue massage and heat therapy can be helpful. Take care.
I'm a 40 year old Computer Enginner in Dubai has Left and then right buttocks pain started a week ago. The pain started when I sat for almost a day time watching movies on internet and the chair was not so smooth and the pain started when I got up from bed in the next morning and I was not able to get up up with out help of my wife. I had tried hot water treatment and it was okay for a while. Then next day also I sat too long on the same chair with out much smothness and the next day I woke up it was terrible and I was crying with pain and my wife was not able to feel the pain as she thought it was a fabricated by me. She took day off on that day and I went to doctor, I was not able to drive the car especially when getting in the pain was terrible and he asked me to walk on legs fingers &  back of legs on the floor and confirmed the disc is fine by lying down and lifting up legs one by one with out any pain on knee as well as lower legs. He gave me an injection (voltaren) and after an hour or so my pain disappered and gave me antirheumatic & antiinflamatory medicine for 4 days and looks fine. Doc said do not sit for long.Then I decide to sat on carpet floor for long working on laptop, next day the right butts start paining I couldn't get up and severe pain. I had took antirheumatic & antiinflamatory medicine and I am ok little bit now . I had this prob an year ago watching sports on TV for whole day time and it was disappeared in a couple of days.

My suggestion is that do not sit on hard surfaces for long and the problem is rheumatic & inflammatory.This is basically a muscle pain which hurt us a lot I felt this pain for a week or so now. I can imagine Jerry's situation.After 40 years of age we get all sort of probs.SITTING FOR LONG IS THE CAUSE OF THIS PROB. DO SIT ON A HARD SURFACE AND ALWAYS SIT ON SMOOTH SURFACE

thanks to all I join in this community.

Chacko Kuruvilla

Hello,  You might want to post this in the "Back and Neck" forum  this is "Exercise and Fitness".  Good luck in finding your solution =)
Hi CHACKOK, how are you doing? You had a pretty bad time with the back and buttocks and hope you are fine and doing well now. You might have probably had a severe low back strain and muscle spasms causing you all the discomfort and pain. Was the pain localized or kind of radiating from low back to buttocks or below? Did you have numbness and to what extent the low back motion was restricted? Physiotherapy, massage and heat therapy will help a lot. Pain medicines may help you, still I would suggest you to consult an orthopedician and get evaluated. Take care and update.
hi there i have a trange rash at the top of my butt
i thought it was a boil starting up since i have a boil
on the top of my head just above the neck
what should i do im scared
kathy
Hi.  This is an exercise and fitness forum. You are off-topic
My name is sue. i have a buttocks pain starting from sitting on the airplane for 15 hours. When I stand up, it doesn't bother me at all. The longest i can sit with a memory foam pad is half an hour. I've gone to a chiropractor and physical therapy and neurology. My neurologist thinks i have a pinched nerve. pirformis. i've been having pain for 3 months. the pain has not gotten better. the doctor asked me to take alleve once a day for a month but it doesn't help me. My pain seems to get slightly worse and i get very frustrated with this pain, i cannot sit down. one of my physical therapist suggested when sitting to use back support which helps a little bit. I've been doing hip exercises everyday rotating and stretching. nothing seems like it helps. my neurologist says the pain will go 3 to six months. anybody have any suggestions?
My pain started when I purchased a abductor machine, the one you stand on one & half years ago for my birthday.  I felt a rip in the left groin area after trying this machine and know I have pain on the right & left buttocks and pelvic area.  My orthopedic doctor said do PT and that didn't work, I spoke with primary doctor and he gave steroid shot in lower back that helped for 6 months.  Then when pain came back in full force I spoke with two Gynocologist one stated lets remove your ovaries and the other suggested first have colonoscopy to rule out ulcertivcolis,then lets put you into menopause with Lupron and if that works, then lets remove your uterus.  I tell you I have a had enough, since I can't take any antiinflamatories since they burn my stomach up.  I just started taking pain pills with little success, so no to try flexeril (cyclobenziprine) for the muscle hoping to relax it, not to take to much because this type of medication tears the muscle fiber down even more.  I will keep you posted as to which works best.  All I no is that with all this doctors out there someone must know something.  
Sincerely,
cs:-) keep chin up
Try getting your testicles/lower front checked for an hernia, this can cause lower back pain as well.
I have pain only when I sit.  I was diagnoised by a pain management doctor that it is my pelvic muscle and he has sent me to a physical therapist for pelvic treatment, including massaging the vagina, electrical stimulation, ultrasound, etc.  I had steroid injections before and nothing has helped.  I am still going to therapy but thinking about going to a nuero.  My therapist says I do not have enough fat on my buttocks.  I have tried every pillow known to man and sit on ice packs and heating pad at home.  I work at a computer and try to stand up most of the day but it's difficult.  I use pain patches and Lortabs (once a day).  Would like to quit both.
It has been about three months - have you noticed any improvement? I have similar pain but no issue with not enough fat on the buttocks.. PT said piriformis, SIJoint dysfunction, lower lumbar inflammation, pubic symphysis involvement, tight hamstrings, pelvic imbalance, and possible tailbone out of place. I have an appt. with another Dr. on Jan. 12. I have struggled with it on and off (too much sitting) for about a year and then when we moved on Oct. I hurt it badly and have not really given it rest since. However, I have not exercised either and weakness and tightness increased quickly. I think it's important to keep moving but to avoid the things that aggravate it even you can go and walk a mile but cant unload the bottom rack of the dishwasher because of the bending. Stretch the best you can and use hot/cold therapy. Sleep is key and that is something I can not get. I was on Naproxin for 8 days and started to get sleep and the pain abated -then it made me blow up like a water balloon. They switched me to Aleve and three days later there was a more severe reaction. That was the day before Thanksgiving. The inflammation returned full force along with all other issues. Flexeril has not helped. Tylenol, which I am supposed to take now, works minimally. And sleep is once again a memory of a time in years past. I am hoping for some relief really soon. Your 3-6 month statement gives me hope because it was mid-Oct when this acute phase was brought in and I am not as bad as I was then -- still often debilitated but not in screaming pain all the time.
I have pain with sitting. I have only found 2 things which cause this, Piriformis syndrome and pudendal neuralgia. Try a site called TIPNA
If possible, look into something called Somatics.   In July of 2007 I had sudden onset pain in my lower back / hip.   Active at 46 (at the time), I was only about 20lbs heavier than I should have been and never had any back issues or pain until then.   In the next 15 months I had an MRI showing nothing of significance (one small disc bulge that shouldn't have caused the pain), a clean X-Ray, P/T, massage, chiropractic care, an anti-inflammatory shot for periformis (minimal results), more P/T, 3 shots over 9 months into my spine, another MRI showing 2 small disc bulges (everything was getting worse instead of better)...  I was still in constant pain ranging from knife like pain don my leg to headache like throbbing in my buttock and hip.  Aleve/Motrin seemed to help ease it a bit, but couldn't take it away.  Staying active kept it loose and laying down or sitting aggrevated it as things tightened up which aggravated the sciatica.  UNable to sleep more than 2 hrs. at a time due to the pain waking me up, I was even considering surgery (despite the MRI showing the bulges shouldn't have been causing that much pain) as I needed to do something...  On-line research led me to somatics and I was game to try anything at that point.

Basically, its premise is that over time your body, through small injuries, bad posture, tension, etc., 'forgets' how to relax certain muscles fully. Stretching hurt because it was tearing at muscles tying to contract, working them out felt better initially by loosening them but then exacerbated it by creating more tension.  That constant tension (even though you feel relaxed) creates problems.  Although hard to find a practitioner around my home, I finally found one about an hour's drive from me.  One 1 hr. session a week for 5 weeks and I was almost back to normal.  The third week I was sleeping through the night!   His feeling was that the bulges were because the spinal muscles in constant tension were compacting my spine...

Unfortunately after about 2 months of feeling almost normal (I still felt a little tension bending over to put on shoes, etc.) I made the mistake of shoveling 18" of heavy snow (I live just outside Boston MA) and the back tightened up again.  Combining that with a 4 hr. drive on Christmas and I am back trying to get rid of the pain, up every two hrs. again...  Frustrating, but I now know it can go away an am back for more somatics.

Best of luck to all!
Please feel free to contact me if I can answer any questions.
about 4 months ago i started to feel sharp pain on both side of my buttoks, i play soccer about 2 times aweek, anyway, now my lower back feels sore, both sides of my buttocks sudden shooting pain comes and goes depend on my movemnt, also feel like i have pain from my hips,every time i drive about 15 minutes or more, when i get out i feel like i playd for 5 hours of soccer, from lower back down to thigh feels like my joints are coming out,  i am only 38 years old, i went to my doctor, physical theropy, did MRI, Xray, nothing showes, i have an appointment with neoroligist, see how that will go, i am so tired of this, every time  i run after 5 minutes i feel soreness in my lower back, then it hurts, despite the pain all those other areas. please someone help me i can not go on with out playing,
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It is back related, do not do any football or physical activity which gives you pain. Assess the condition of your back near the neurologist and take preventive measures. Proper shoes, proper ergonomics at work, while driving, while sitting and  while sleeping is required. Take control of the situation and do some physical exercises to increase the strength of the lower back muscles and follow the advice of your neurologist. Take care!
SAME PROBLEM HERE. IM A 46 YEAR OLD MALE. 2 MONTHS AGO I STARTED HURTING REAL BAD WHILE SITTING AT THE PUTER DESK.AM FINE WHEN I AM STANDING OR LYING DOWN. WHEN I SIT FOR OVER 5 MIN. IT FEELS LIKE MY GROIN MUSCLE IS GOING TO RIP IN HALF. HURTS NEAR TAIL BONE AND GROIN MOST BUT PAIN WILL BE IN HIP AND LOWER BACK SOMETIMES.I HAD A MIR OF LOWER BACK BUT THE DOC SAID ALL LOOKS FINE.NEVER KNEW NOT BEING ABLE TO SIT COULD BE THIS BAD.I CANT RIDE IN THE CAR FOR OVER 10 MINS. WITHOUT GETTING OUT AND STRECHING. HELL I CANT SIT WHILE IM TYPING THIS HAVE TO STAND ON MY KNEES.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Lucky you do not have any signs in an MRI and your condition is reversible.
Select a good chair in the office, learn how to sit properly without causing pain for long hours, every couple of hours you have to go around , like standing, moving around, answering a phone, going to the washroom, lunch break etc.
Do some stretching exercises and position while sitting in a car is also important, you can consult a physiotherapist about the positions.  Take care!
I'm glad I found this site. Thank you for all your advice. I am 42 years old and work out on a stairmaster everyday for 30 minutes and have been for years. My right buttcheek hurts so bad when I sit down like I'm sitting on a rock. I am seeing a Physical Therapist for my right shoulder this Friday and will share what I learned from this forum.  Right now I am sitting on a heating pad and it helps a lot and will buy some Aleve tomorrow.  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Also use some cushion support while you sit on a chair and in your car. Take some anti inflammatory drugs and try to find out it is due to muscle or bone pain and discuss with your Physician. Take care!
I have severe butt muscle and sacroiliac joint pain caused by Ankylosing Spondylitis. I was diagnosed in 1994 after spending years trying to figure out what was wrong with me. This was before the internet so I had to do a lot of my research in libraries and book stores. I was very persistent with my doctor about getting to the bottom of what was bothering me. I finally found a wonderful rheumatologist that did a lot of tests on me and asking a ton of questions. I currently take celebrex along with self injecting Humira on a weekly basis. I have a very tough case. There is a big different in my joint pain for the better the day after taking my Humira. I can go up stairs with limited pain which is not the case other wise. In addition to the spondylitis I also have the piriformis syndrome. I have to do a lot of stretching to loosen up my extremely tight butt muscles. I have a tempur-pedic seat cushion that helps give even  weight distribution for long periods of sitting. I also have a moist heat heating pad which I use on my butt muscles before stretching them out. If you have access to a jacuzi or hot tub that it even better. I also take prescription pain medicine because if I didn't I would be in  bed 24/7. The pain medicine as well as the additional things I do makes life tolerable. I just scheduled a two hour massage for next week. I have my body worker focus a lot on my hip area. I feel dramatically better after a massage but it is very expensive so I do not get to do it very often. I just found this forum so I am going to try and add some additional calcium and also buy a pair of orthrotics for my shoes. I have also had myotherapy/trigger point work done on me and that is fantastic. The practitioner lives far away and I don't get to go very often. I would just suggest to people that you keep searching for answers and do not give up. Keep extra weight off as you are only adding to the problem with carrying extra pounds around. The other thing I suggest is to keep yourself insured as you need medical attention with this problem and many of the sollutions are very expensive without insurance.
Reading all of your comments has been a great help - you all seem to understand the pain!!! and the lack of any one in the medical community knowing what is going on!  Thank you.

I am a 47 year old female who has had this pain in the *** (right buttock)for the last year.  I have been running for 27 years and have finally had to stop.  It hurts to even walk.  But - it does NOT hurt to cycle or use the eliptical.  That is what is so strange.  It hurts to sit and drive but not stand.  I have just spent the summer getting xrays and MRI, told I had a stress facture, torn hamstring, stenosis, etc. Also had pain down my legs (was told I had performis syndrome and sciatica) I have had massages and physical therapy.  Yoga seems to help.

Finally - I think I have found help!  I will keep you posted.  I am now going to a person who does MAT (Muscle Activation Therapy).  Yesterday he worked on my torso and obliques and the pain in the buttocks is not so bad.  Strange.  Tomorrow we will look at my right shoulder.  I tell him that I feel great when I leave and then have pain as soon as I get in the car to drive home.  He told me to drive with my LEFT hand and keep my shoulder down - and it worked!  No pain!  I have stopped doing any exercising.  No running, walking, no weight training, no yoga.  Its killing me but the pain is less.  Also bought new sneakers.  I was pronating and now am using sneakers that are pretty flat.  Whoever talked about proper ergonomics and proper shoes is correct.  The MAT therapist is also going to give me an isometric program to strenghten my muscles around the SI joint.

Good luck and I will check back
Jane
I originally started out with a sharp stabbing pain dead center in my right buttock and when I sat I would use both my hands to sit up straight. My Dr. told me that just seeing me use my hands while sitting was a classic sign of a lower back problem and that the stabbing pain in the buttock was from the sciatic nerve being pinched. X-rays did not show anything and I was sent to physical therapy and I got worse over time. I was then sent for an MRI and it showed a collapsed disc and another one degenerating. (L4, L5, S1). After a year of bottles of pain meds and spinal injections I could take it no more and had surgery. Mine was where they took a piece of bone from your hip and ground it up and put in the implants that were put in my back. (Your own bone is used for spinal fusion) My incision was through my stomach as my dr. assured me that this allowed for faster and better healing results. It took me the better part of a year to get back to what I would call normal but that was done in 1997 and I have had no problems since then. Just wanted to tell a success story as I know what some of you are going through and the horror stories that people tell about back surgery. I cried going into surgery and if someone had told me to run I would have and when I came out my first lucid thoughts were I will never be normal again, oh god what have I done to myself. But here I am 12 years later and have not once since then regretted having had my surgery. Good Luck to all of you!
You literally could have written your entry for me.  I have the same exact problems as you and just got my most recent Lumbar spine MRI back saying there is nothing wrong.  I am currently lying on my desk at work because it is too painful to sit.  the pain starts in the SI joint area and radiates.  I am on prescription painkillers that hardly do anything.  I just had hip surgery to fix labrum tears 2 months ago and was so relieved cause I assumed that was the problem.  Obviously now I am depressed that the problem is still there, and also is worse at this time as the lower back is compensating even more for the pain in my lower back/buttock.  
Jerry, what the F**K do we do?  I am so depressed!  I am only 31 years old and have always been active and healthy!  Who can help?????  There has to be SOMETHING wrong
Guys i am 45 years old male and get slight pains in my right buttocks when sat down. OK now when i masturbate after cumming i get lower back pains too that reside after a day.

Any ideas whats causing this ?

Kevin
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

The back pain is sure with relation to ergonomics.

Posture is very important for any activity and you would need a proper back support. With small corrections in your posture, position of your body during any activity you would avoid putting any direct pressure on your spine.
Apply some ice packs on your gluteus muscle and take some pain killers for this.

Take care!
I am a 45 year old female.  I took a flight from Pittsburgh to Hawaii 15 years ago and have experienced left hip and SI pain ever since.  I have difficulty sitting for more than 30 minutes and if I stand too long, I have pain also.  I have gone to orthopedic doctors, pain clinics, physical therapists, message therapists, myotherapists, acupuncturists, I've seen them all to no avail.  They've ordered X-rays, MRI's, cortisone injections, etc. and all tests have come back negative.  I recently set an appointment to see a surgeon in Pittsburgh who uses a flexible probe during a SI Rhizotomy with much success.  I'm hoping he will consider me a candidate since I would love to be able to sit like a normal person again.  I love sports and I am very active, but this has restricted some of my activities.  I really have to watch.  If I can get this procedure done and it works, I will definitely share my story.  
I have had this problem for years and I finally know what causes it.  I was a long-distance runner and was very active.  One day I woke up with this awful pain in my lower back and soon the pain was radiating down my leg and into my foot.  The foot doctor was going to cut my tendons, but thank God I got another opinion.  It was sciatica and the nerve was compromised.  He sent me to a specialist who did a series of tests to determine the problem.

First of all, my MRI was read by one person who said there was nothing wrong.  I took those same MRIs to the specialist, who told me that the nerve in my lower back was irritated and inflamed and was being strangled by the surrounding bone.  The treatment was to take anti-inflammatories to get rid of the swelling.  If it's swelling, there's no way you'll get rid of the pain.  He had me on a serious serious of meds that a lot of side effects, so I wouldn't recommend this, but it DID work.  Once the swelling had gone down, I religiously got massages by a medical massage therapist.  Go to someone who knows sports medicine and knows what they are doing.

I also did physical therapy, which included the TENS treatment.  You can buy the kit - but it's not cheap.  Stretches and exercises have to be done to strengthen the muscles in your back and to correct any muscle imbalances.  It's very common for people to be stronger on one side than the other.  Or for the back of your leg to be much stronger than the front; hence, the imbalance, so you have to even it out.

I was also told to lose weight.  Your body isn't meant to carry too much weight and it has to compensate for what it's carrying around.  And I went to and still go to a chiropractor, whom I never believed in before but do now.

This takes several months, and it's not cheap, and it doesn't go away completely.  But you can significantly reduce the pain if you are persistent.  Most of this you have to do yourself.  Good luck!  PS  Airplane seats are the worst.
I had many similar problems to those described in this forum and recently have found a solution - basically CALCIUM...here is my story - I hope it helps someone...

For the past six years, the pain in my 'butt' got worse and worse.   Essentially it would start hurting the moment I sat down and get worse and worse.  Eventually I came to know the 'butt' as the ischial tuberosity...At first it was just annoying, but eventually it got so bad that I had to have a special memory foam pad that I carried around with me to sit on almost any chair.  Finally it got so bad that I bought a special desk that I could raise up so I could work standing up... ...no amount of exercising (or lack of exercise) would help as the act of sitting down itself seemed to be the primary problem.

For several years I was under the 'care' of two orthopedic surgeons (one for hip and one for back). They took x-rays, told me some nonsense about me having bone spurs, etc...and that there was basically nothing I could do except get cortisone shots every few months for the rest of my life (I am 38 and that didn't sound so great to me).  I finally pushed them into prescribing physical therapy for me from a great sports therapist - he thought it had to do with either tight hamstrings putting pressure on the tendon at the ischial tuberosity or perhaps bursitis or maybe some sort of nerve problem.  Unfortunately after three months of very detailed therapy, my therapist told me he didn't think it was helping and that physical therapy was unlikely to be my solution.  I agreed, as any relief that I got was less than a 5% improvement in my pain...

That was when I had the breakthrough.  I know this sounds crazy, but I went to see a chiropractor that a friend recommended (Dr. Thorne at Greenville Avenue Chiropractic in Dallas) and within 5 minutes of poking around at various pressure points he said 'I think all you need is some calcium'.  Evidently, if you are calcium deficient, the blood will drain calcium from your bones and this can interfere with the ability of tendons to properly heal in the normal course of life.  I actually felt a significant difference immediately after my first session with the chiropractor...probably a 50% improvement.  

I have now been taking calcium pills (1500mg 2x per day of any brand of calcium citrate with vitamin D for absorption will do) for three weeks and had three sessions with the chiropractor.  I would say I am now 80% improved with constant improvement...if I never got any better I would be fine just three weeks ago I was worried about my future.  However, I believe that over time as the body absorbs the calcium that I am taking my pain will be gone entirely.

Literally this has been like a miracle for me.  At a minimum try the calcium and if you are so inclined, find a good chiropractor to go to as well.  I don't know if the calcium would have done the trick or not without the chiropractor, but regardless this is what happened to me.  I can tell you with confidence that the typical MD route will have nothing to offer for your pain.  Good luck.
I had L5S1 surgery in 82. I am now 62 years old. The surgery was successful for 24 years and then I started having issues again. Four years ago I had an MRI that showed no problem. I gradually got better, then 1 year ago I started getting a stabbing pain at the top front of my right fema, this was followed by not being able to raise up my right leg without excruciating pain. I had another MRI and a bone scan. The radiologist that did the bone scan thought that there may be a broblem with my right hip, but my ortho/spine doctor said that the results were inconclusive. One month ago I had pain start in my right buttock and just below the right knee. It got quite acute and I ended up in the emergency room on morphine and a fentanyl patch.
For the next few days I was on a cocktail of pain killing drugs. I could not sit or lay down in comfort, only standing seems to relieve the condition. Another MRI, no result, I am between a rock and a hard place. I am now only taking Ibuprofen 800mg at a time, but still I'm in pain. Very difficult at nite and first thing in the morning. I feel exhausted fro the ordeal, Starting PT tomorrow if that doesn't work I will try accupuncture. I will keep you informed.
I've read your post.  I am 53 female.  Approximately 8 months ago I started experiencing a radiating pain in my left buttock when sitting and when lying down.  I am not limited in anything I can do.  I can walk on the treadmill, shovel snow, bend over, etc.  This session with the pain would last for approximately one week, then go away for a couple weeks then return again.  The last two times that it has returned, the pain has been more severe.  I've only been able to sleep for approx two hours at a time before I have to get up and walk around because the pain is so severe.  The more I move around the  pain lessens.  I am fine throughout the day until I sit down in the afternoon for approx an hour.  Then it starts again.  I dread going to bed at night.  Ibuprofin have not helped.  I started taking Aleve three days ago.  It has helped some, but not totally.  I would like to hear how you made out with your PT or acupuncture.  I have not been to a doctor yet.  I'm hoping to try and heal on my own with stretches and exercise.  I don't like MD's or taking pills.   Good luck with your treatment.
most of you describe the pain I have had for a year. at first it was horrid sciatica that went all the way to my foot, which became numb. slowly things started to feel better. the feeling of sitting on a rock never went away. my pain seemed to radiate from the ligaments that attach to the tailbone. finally, after a long time of complaining to my GP, I mentioned it to my chiropractor. he adjusted my tailbone. immediately my pain was alleviated, and the feeling of sitting on a rock is gone! my GP said I most likely have piriformis syndrome, but now I am convinced my coccyx was out of place. it's much less invasive than surgery and worth a shot! get your coccyx adjusted!!!
I have been suffering from SI Joint pain for a year now. Mine developed overt time from over use (running, soccer, gardening). I have pain in my right buttocks and stiffness in my lower back. It's hard to sit and get up from a seated position. My original pain also included sciatica pain radiation and tight hip flexors. I had two steroid injections and pain management of naproxen or topical ointment called Voltaren.  My orthopedic doctor told me to rest and ice until the inflammation subsided (5-6 months) which helped, but what helped most was getting an SI belt to support muscles compensating for my hyper mobile SI joint. After hearing about pregnant women suffering from SI joint problems and other women complaining of lower back pain during menstration, I wondered if hormones could exacerbate the dysfunction and stopped using birth control during the last 3-months of that 6 -month rest period. The pain difference is amazing. Testing the hormones, I went back on BC twice, and stabbing pains came back immediately.  I'm back in physical therapy and off BC trying to rebuild strength in my back, gluteus medius and piriformus. With rest, I'm 100% better, but activity is still achey (achy).  I have a Tens unit for home treatment between workouts.  My activity levels are getting better. I rotate my exercises daily (glutes and core) between kinesis machines, strength machines, bosu balance and exercise balls to keep the muscles confused and it's all working. I do get achey (achy) from more activity, but with rest over the weekend, I'm gaining more range of activity.  I hope this info concerning an SI Belt, BC use and exericse is beneficial. Good Luck!
Here's some history:
I am 61 and pretty fit. I have been, variously, an international rower, a golfer, squash player, tennis player and skier and still take part in cycle road races at a reasonably competitive regional and national level and do quite a few long distance tours and  endurance rides over mountains and the like. I have suffered from various back problems for the best part of 30 years but, until my most recent episode, have always managed to recover from these problems. I have had numerous disc bulges at L2-3, L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1 but these have all gone away in time; usually after a month or 6 weeks with a combination of rest, stretching, visits to my osteopath and core work.

About 3 months ago,  I had put on a few pounds after Christmas and hit the gym quite hard and managed to injure my back doing over-energetic knees raises on the upright abs machine. With some rest and  gentle stretching I made a sufficient recovery to go skiing two weeks later. However whilst there I had to put the snow chains on the car one morning driving up the mountain and managed to herniate my L4-5 disc quite badly. After I returned home I tried my normal remedies but the injury was proving more stubborn than normal. My osteopath did his normal manipulation on my lumbar spine but a couple of days later that proved to have only exacerbated the problem and I now had extremely painful sciatica down my right leg and into my foot and outside of my ankle - fairly typical L4-5 symptoms.

Over the next week or so this became noticeably worse to the point where serious amounts of pain killers weren't alleviating the pain. I would say that I'm reasonably tolerant of pain and injuries but this problem was not feeling any better with 8 Tramadol and 3 Naproxen a day, with the odd added oxycodone thrown in! Normally I wouldn't touch any pills of any sort.

So this called for more drastic measures. I went to see an othopaedic surgeon whom I had been to once before, who then sent me for an MRI scan which showed a badly herniated L4-5 and other assorted bulges which had shown in previous scans over the years and general spinal degeneration.

Again, he advised against surgery at that stage, as he had done 4 or 5 years previously and suggested I should have a caudal epidural or nerve block injection around the herniated disc. This procedure involved inserting needles from various directions into the spinal canal and injecting local anesthetic and a steroid to reduce the inflamation (inflammation) in the sciatic nerve and block the pain signals going down the right leg. To ensure that the anesthetist got the needle in exactly the right place, he used a scanner to see precisely where the tip was and then applies a weak electric current to an electrode on the end of the needle to a) see that it was located in the right place and stimulated the expected tingling into my foot and b) to apply a prolonged weak current for two or three minutes because that has also been found to be beneficial in blocking the pain signals down the sciatic nerve and generally helping the inflamation (inflammation) - or that's the theory apparently!

That was about 4 weeks ago. Initially this seemed to do the trick. I was then able to sleep on my back without pain radiating down to my foot and I began to be quite hopeful that the problem was finally sorted. I was still taking a reduced dose of the Tramadol and Naproxen but after about 10 days I started feeling  frequent spasms of pain in my S1 and intense pain deep in the centre of my backside and coccyx, radiating out to the top and rear of my thighs.

In the last two weeks this pain has intensified, not helped by the constipation  that was being caused by taking so many pain killers. I have tried various different approaches to alleviate the pain, including standing up more, sitting down and resting more, sleeping longer, sleeping less, and gentle riding on my turbo road bike - which strangely, after a few minutes warming up, is not too uncomfortable. I find that I can cycle at around 180/200 watts output for 20 or 30 minutes which is about 70% of my normal power output. After stopping, the symptoms will return in 3 or 4 hours just the same as before. Since I did not have the S1 pain before the injection I'm inclined to believe the steroid injection has de-stabilized my lower back more than before.

I've re-read quite a few of the postings in this topic but can't seem to find any common thread. I seem to have quite a few of the symptoms described by others but nobody really seems to have any answers. My doctor is clueless ( in the nicest possible way but not a great deal of help with the underlying problem). The othopaedic surgeon thinks I should sit it out for a few more weeks to see if things do get better. Meantime I'm climbing up the wall and my wife is getting extremely fed up we me behaving like an invalid and having to put my socks on for me! The serious doses of Tramadol are not doing my blood pressure too much good. My doctor now wants me to see a urologist to rule out other clinical possibilities such as kidney or prostate problems but so far these are all proving fairly negative.

Other symptoms I've noticed that seem to bring on these intense and painful spasms in my butt include:
Opening my mouth really wide to take in a large mouthful of food or bite an apple; I instantly get an excruxiating pain in the sciatic nerves deep in my pelvis;
Maybe 2 hours after eating a meal I might feel the need to pass some wind and this triggers another spasm of pain which will last for maybe an hour or more;
The pain and degree of immobility are worse in the mornings until I have been moving around for a couple of hours and taken another collection of pain killers. But then I'm reasonably comfortable sitting down at my computer and working;
The pain is not eased by having a bowel movement; in fact it is often worse for an hour or so afterwards;
I am an occasional gout sufferer, usually after I become too dehydrated  after a long bike ride followed by some stressful incident; I also suffer from exercised-induced asthma - a seemingly common problem for cyclists, since at least 50% of the pro peleton seem to be on subutamol inhalers!
Well there we are. You've done amazingly well if you read down this far and I'm sorry  to have bored you stupid - I'm honestly not usually this hypochondriacal. I therefore apologise for the length and detail of this post but the idea was to see of anyone had suffered similar combinations of symtoms (symptoms) that I seem to be exhibiting. If so, I would certainly like to hear if anyone has any answers, suggestions or otherwise before I finally submit to my over-eager orthopaedic surgeon's scalpel!!
I am 28 years old, and I had a pain in the upper right buttock. I do not know what brought it on, I have 2 young ones and I play with them on a daily basis but other than that not much excercise. I am in no way over weight but am not fit niether. I have been to 2 differant doctors, and one told me I had some sort of infection that caused a sist in my muscle near the gluts. I went to a another doctor that he recommended me to, and he said I didnt have the symptoms of this paticular type of sist/infection. I have taken antibiotics and alieve/IBProfein and nothing seems to help, if I sit for more than 5 minutes and go to stand up the pain is excrusiating and I havent found a way to get rid of it yet and niether of the doctors can tell me what is causing the pain. Anyone have any ideas of what could be causing this pain?
I have a butt pain on the right side on my butt when i sit i tend to feel the pain even when i sit for a long while. I'm just 24 years old have been to the doctor nothing has been done i dont know what else to do have been feeling this pain for 2 months now.
Dear EWhite37,

Are you still receiving email regarding this issue?
I have the same problem but on my left side.

For me the problem started back on Feb 21, 2010 and it has progressed and gotten worse with time.
I have tried many things: acupuncture, physical therapy which includes deep, very aggressive muscle massage as well as strengthening my core. I have also tried the Egoscue method but that is a long term thing. I have just today scheduled an appointment for myself with a orthopedic Dr for this coming week but with all that I have read about orthodox medicine and this problem I do not have a good feeling about them providing a cure.

I am inclined to think that this is a pirifromis muscle related problem since all the symptoms point in that direction. I have strange feeling on the left side of my calf and some times on the top of my left foot and some times on the outside of my left ankle. Also some times on the outside of the top of my left leg.

This past winter I was doing a lot of sitting on a hard surfaced chair for hours at a time. That behavior has stopped as a result of me now not being able to sit in a soft chair for very long before I have to get up and take some Advil. I started taking Advil on March 15, 2010 but don't like the fact that I am now a slave to it.

Just to fill you in on more of my story, back in 2006 I had a discectomy on my disc between my L5 / S1 vertebrae. I still have a numb spot in the bottom of my left foot where the pain was centralized during that ordeal. That was a definite herniated disc problem. I bent over slightly one day and felt the pop in my lower back. The pain was at first very acute in my left hamstring and then a day or two latter moved to the bottom, middle of my left foot near my toes.

After six weeks of dealing with that problem I was finally able to have surgery at Temple University from a neurosurgeon. The pain was gone but I was left with, what must be nerve damage and thus the numb, dead spot area that I still have.

This current problem is different in the sense that the pain is not localized to one specific spot and the pain is a different type of pain.

Anyway, I was just wondering if you returned to Somatics and how you are feeling now?

Thanks for any information that you can provide. If you would like to contact me at my direct email it is: ***@****. I just joined this forum so I am assuming that any response to this message will be directed to that email address any way.

Thanks again in advance for your help!

Sincerely,

Sam King
I play softball and have been having pain in my left upper buttocks area. It is a very sharp pain and it started when I was sprinting. This started about 8 months ago, and I didnt do anything about it until after season was over. I am going to a physical therapist and he diagnosed me with a torn/strained upper hamstring. Do you think I should have an MRI done, just to make sure and have all the right diagnosis. I want to start playing again as soon as possible.
Thank you!
I too, have so many of the same symptoms that you all have discussed....I was just wondering if anyone's butt pain is exacerbated right when you stand up and about 10 seconds afterward....mine does really hurt after sitting for a few minutes, but as soon as I stand, I feel like someone is jabbing a burning hot poker in the middle of my right glute, and it hurts unbelievably bad for about 2-6 seconds, then it subsides.  Also, when I cough or sneeze, it sends me through the roof.  I also have pain when lifting my right leg to put my pants on .....does anyone else experience these symptoms as well?
I had a pain in my left butt for about a month, which send some tingling down the side of the leg.  I'm fairly flexible so don't think it's any hamstring injury.  Actually the pain started after a yoga session, so I've been fairly inactive since then in fear of getting it worse.  After some side-stretching the tingling is gone.  But the pain in mid-butt is still there, especially when I sit on uneven low chair (especially in the car) or one that has the metal frame at the front and compresses when my upper thigh.  When I sit on soft, knee-high chair I still get itchy-tingling in my upper glutes, quite diffuse, not localized.  Now the same is starting on my right side.  Never had any back pain as yet and no trouble with standing up.  Had my low back X-rayed and it's all normal.  The problem is that my job requires me sitting a lot (incl. air travel).  I wonder if this is some muscle condition or sciatic nerve.  Also, is there any symptomatic difference between lumbar-origin sciatica and piriformis syndrome?
hi all i also have a similar problem and i am only 20 years old, i have left buttock pain that is seriously agrrivated when i sit on a hard or soft chair especially the car! it also goes down my left hamstring into my calf.
mine started when i was on a long hall flight from uk to Australia i assumed i crushed some nerves as i was sleeping up right in my saet and when i woke the pain was horrible!
after a few months of pain and not doing anything about it i finally went to see my doctor who referred me to a specialist, i then had a MRI which showd nothing wrong.
i started physiotherapy and continuied for over a year with a slight improvement but the pain came back worse after only a month.
i went back to the specialist and had a  few more scans (another MRI, full body bone scan, CT scan and an X Ray).
my specialist refferd me to a back specialist physio who i continuied to see for 7 months recieving massage, ultra sound, dry needling etc. with limited pain relief he said there isnt anything else he can do for me and is basically stuped about what is wrong with me, he stated it could be that my sciatic nerve is coming through by buttock muscle and is being disturbed (which he cant help or prove unless he opens me up =/ ).

so im currently in a lot of pain but it doesnt stop me doing physical activity infact it doesnt hurt when i run or play soccer but if i sneeze when sitting or leaning forward im in soooo much pain!

my mum also had something simillar she works in an old persons home and twisted while catching a falling patient she recieved a cortizone injection and it immidiatley gave her pain relief but it costed AU $500.00 but she said it was definiatley worth it. BUT it wore off and when she had another one it didnt work as they didnt get the nerve on the right spot.

im about top book an appointment wit ha chiro but im quickly running out of options and as a 20 yr old woman im limited with flexability etc and i have to drive a long way top get to collage so am constantly in pain and nothing other than lying down can relieve me of my pain!

Thanks Rachael Testi
I am 71 years old; sounds old, but I have been in great physical condition until recently.  I alternate the treadmill and a series of floor stretch exercises every other day.  OK--I did reduce the speed on the treadmill a few months ago from 4.0 to 3.8, but still last one-half hour.  I never had back problems before and wonder if what happened to me 5 months ago is related to the upper right buttocks pain I now have upon arising (stiffly) from bed, getting in and out of a car, bending to pick something up.  What happened then was a torn miniscus during a zumba exercise class.  Yes, I was the oldest in the class, but really enjoying it and keeping up. Anyway, no more zumba for me.  So my pain is on the upper right buttocks, app. 1" below beltline and sometimes feels like the right hip and/or ovary.  It's been tolerable enough, but getting worse lately.  I feel no pain on the treadmill.  I went to an orthopedist with my knee problem and am careful with that...I do stairs, but gingerly.  I'm probably not as careful as I should be.  Before I go back to the doctor, I would like to know your experience and what you think it might be and what I might do about it.  Many thanks.
I have the same problems.  Had the same type of PT and steroid injections, MRI test negative.  Did you find the answer to your pain?  
I have been suffering from pain in my lower right side of my back, to my right buttock and down the back of my leg, either it is a burning stinging pain, or a dull stabbing pain for almost 2 years!! I have had to mri's for the low back, doc says maybe a couple of slightly degenerated disc, but slight..I had 1 steriod injection to the spine, no help, my doc wants me to take 2 more, but the guy that was giving them to me said it will not help, I have given up, I cannot take pain pills and work, i have tried aleve and advil, no help, now sometimes it hurts my right leg to walk, when use to walking and standing up helped. i sit for 8 hours a day at work and it is killing me and I dont know where to turn, been to 2 chiroprators. no help yet, please does anyone know anything?
I am a 55 year old woman in great physical shape. I have almost the exact same experience. MRI, CAT, 2 different x-rays. 1 Chiro. told me I had sacroiliac imbalance. Usually 2-3 adjustments would end it and it would be months or years before I'd go back - then all of a sudden I couldn't get rid of it. Went to pain specialist for the "burn" thing you did but when they did a prelim it didn't end the pain so i didn't get the "burn".  What helped me most was a medical massage or deep tissue massage therapist.  She worked relentlessly on me and after about 6 visits the pain was gone. I had also visited my chiro several times in conjunction.  The massage therapist said my tailbone was bent but x-rays showed that no to be true, however, i had a lot of pain there that she worked on.  However, whenever I sit for long periods of time it comes back. Now when it comes back it's hard to get rid of.  I'm going to a new chiro and two adjustments have really helped.  I try to sit as little as possible and I do SI joint exercises from youtube and pelvic floor therapy exercises on you tube. Hope this helps. This is really a PAIN in the BUTT!!
My right butt pain started in August 2010 at the end of the first week of working 12-hour days sitting at the computer.  I am an active 56-year-old, work out daily (elliptical, stairmaster, weights, yoga, aerobics).  My weight is normal for my ht.  Suddenly on the 4th 12-h day I realized I had severe R butt pain.  Initially it would increase when I would first stand up, and then would alleviate with walking.  I would be pain free in the morning after a night's rest.  I am an RN Case manager and work at a desk 8 hours a day doing telephonic case management.  I am up and down througout the day, take a 1-hour break and go to the gym, but in August we were asked to help with data entry and thus the additional 4 hours a day, which I did for the entire month (ignoring the pain).  On my own I tried therapeutic yoga, accupuncture, heat, jaccuzi and nothing alleviated it.  I also tried Flexeril and Naproxyn for a week.  No change. realized it wasn't going to go away so went to PCM he prescribed Soma, and I've been taking that three times a day along with Ibuprofen 800mg three times a day.  He sent me to PT and I've religiously attended PT for 2 months, practiced their exercises at home.  Followed their instructions to stop stair master and elliptical, and am only doing flat treadmill.  Now the pain is all the time like a hot poker in my butt when I'm sitting.  It wakes me at night, and hurts immediately in the morening.  It is constant.  Hurts worse with certain stretches of the right leg, but basically hurts always.  PCM said next thing was to do lumbar x-ray and to to osteopath.  She said lumbar x-ray looked fine and said she thinks it's a hamstring problem.  She did a brief spinal adjustment.  She said that my spine was way out of line.  That was Monday of this week.  Immediately afterwards I felt completely better.  However, the next morning (Tuesday) back to the exact same level of pain at all times.  My PCM's next recommendation will be a specialist (ortho?) and see if the specialist wants to order an MRI.  I'm betting they won't find the problem, especially after reading all your posts about MRIs that are normal.  I have to stop the ibuprofen now, and maybe the soma too, because I'm having cosmetic surgery in a month.  But extra strength tylenol does nothing.  I requested worksite accommodation.  They evaluated and gave me a cushion.  I wanted a kneeling chair.  Supposedly the ergonomics person has put in a request for a special chair.  The cushion does not help at all.  I'm afraid the special chair won't either, unless it's a kneeling chair, and they don't want to get that kind.  So any suggestions about what my next plan of attach should be.  I am sick to death of being in chronic pain.  Never had chronic pain before and I hate it.  It's making my days at work drag, I'm grumpy at home, etc.  Etc...Advise????  Thanks.

Trina
Hi Trina,
  I have had the same pain going on3 yrs now.  I was a weightlifter & had stopped lifting for a cross country move. Once back to the gym, I actually felt the injury when it occurred while squatting 120lbs. ( I only weighed 135 at the time)  It was in my lt.lower back/upper butt.  After @ 2 mos, went to a DO who gave me anti-inflammatories & adjustments. Seemed to help initially.. pain kept coming back.  At this point, I couldn't even get on a treadmill without creating more pain. Last April my internist put me on Neirotin, which helped tremendously in heavy doses. Unfortuneately, I am a health professional & felt I was "floating" through the mornings, so I am only able to take it at night...I have been referred to an Anesthesiologist Pain mangmt MD for "shot".. I firmly believe I actually tore one or more of the ligaments of my SI area & now am having scar tissue forming to prevent the muscles from ability to be flexible again. This am I got on the treadmill in my garage for
7 minutes & I am now in ABSOLUTE agony.... I know that scar tissue can become functional so I am hoping the cortisone injection can give me enough time to begin to rebuild up the ligaments involved.
Any one else know when/how/if their pain is from injury?
Kim
I have a similar issue to most on this forum - more right side, than left, but pretty bad on both sides.  I also sit for long periods of time - long haul flights, in front of the computer, etc.

I find swimming helps - as does icing the lower back around L verts.  I chow ibuprofen tablets like M&Ms...

My question for this group - have any of you tried inversion therapy - using an inversion table and reversing the effect of gravity on the spine?

Just curious... I'm thinking of trying it - my chiropractor swears by it.

I want to share a terrific solution for the sitting pain of some of you.  It's a non-invasive treatment called the Graston technique. A physical therapist can do it for you. Graston has a website that will help you find someone in your area who is certified.  Go to the website for a good explanation of how it works.  It is amazing!  The technique uses special instruments that are carefully designed and the motion of the technique resembles what you might do if you were attempting to spread cold butter across bread.  It seems to smooth and release adhesions of the fascia to the muscle.  The adhesions create pain in us as sitting on a hot washboard would cause pain in someone who did not have our problem.  Good luck!  It's so wonderful!
I ~feel~ I made a terrible mistake and went to a chiropractor last summer.  I was having headaches and neck problems.  I mentioned that I had a catch in my right side sometimes and after x-raying my back was told I had about 3 - 4 places my back was out.  After about a month - one evening I was watching TV lying on our bed and I tried to get up and my right upper buttock cramped up, let out a scream and couldn't move for an hour.  I called the chiro and she said to take it easy and to take ibuprofen.  Over the next 3 1/2 months, my back cramped up on my - even at the chiro's.  She was more worried about getting me out of her office for the next customer as trying to help me!  I ended going to my family physician and he thought for sure that I had a muscle strain!  Imagine - how did I get the muscle strain???  My chiro was slamming my hips down so hard "aligning my hips" that I feel she tore my muscle... after a ton of money, lots of tears and pain I'm still trying to heal.  The doctor has me on relaxers and sent me for physical therapy.  Well now when it cramps (grabs) it don't hold on forever but it still hurts SO bad and the fear is still in the back of my mind.  I'm working a job now that all I do is sit unless I need to get up to get something or go to the bathroom.  It's kind of hard to keep a job and heal your back... thanks for all the posts and different ideas.  Hope we can all heal!
Has anyone checked to see if your SI joint is properly aligned?  I have never been to a chiropractor, but my physical therapist helped to get my SI joint in the right place and taught me strengthening exercises that now hold it in place.  It sounds like your chiropractor may have been trying to realign it from your description.  The PT did not have to do any "slamming".  Back up to a wall, walk your feet away from the wall about 2 feet, and rest your lower back against the wall. Does your lower back seem to rest evenly against the wall?  If one edge seems to push harder against the hard surface, then you may need to be checked by a pro for a misaligned SI (sacroilliac) joint.  Of course a pro can check your total alignment.

I think that muscle you are referring to may be your piriformis.  You may want to look that up.  Good luck!
Hi Sue, your symptoms and experience is identical to mine.  I first got my pain after a long haul flight to the US, this was 9 months ago and I have been to the GP with no luck, privately to a chiropracter and now I am having physiotherapy.  Nothing is working at the moment and, like you, it is very frustrating.  I work in an office, so sit for hours at a time and sometimes the pain is excruciating.  I don't want this for the rest of my life and dread long journeys, in the car, train or plane.  Very disabling.  This forum is very good.

Rose
Just skimming through most of these posts, so I may have missed vital info, but it sounds a lot like sciatica. I injured my back last year with a twisting/lifting movement and was in agony as far down as my calf. The back pain itself seemed to ease a bit in the following days, but instead became concentrated in the butt. Getting on/off seats, bending down, even getting in/out of bed was awful. It lasted for weeks. There was only one position I found completely comfortable; lying with a small cushion and hot water bottle under my butt/back where the two meet. I think it must have supported the place where the nerve was trapped, temporarily relieving the pressure and thus also the pain. I was taking anti-inflammatory pain meds too, but they don't take those sharp stabbing shocks away!
I still get twinges of it if I'm sat in one place for ages, like on long bus journeys, or if I've had a couple of inactive days, but otherwise it's okay.
If it IS sciatica, make sure to never cross your legs over one another whilst sitting; it twists everything out of alignment and makes it more likely to reoccur! Also, if you get a jolt of pain as you go to move, only move on your in-breath; for some reason (oxygen levels?) it's more bearable that way.
Hi everyone - this has been an interesting forum.  I too have pain in my right butt and would say first thing in the morning there is absolutely no paid and it is only when I start moving around and sitting that I notice the pain coming back.  Luckily, I can remember exactly what caused my problem.  I was up a ladder and on coming down, I thought I was much nearer the bottom when I jumped off.  Because I thought I was much nearer the bottom, I had already turned my leg in preparation of walking to the side of the ladder.  When my foot/leg hit the deck I immediately heard and felt a click in my right hip joint - since then it's been painful in my right butt every time I sit down of put weight on my right leg.  Of the advice above, I think calcium tables might be a good thing and perhaps my coccyx needs re-alignment as indicated by contributor 'grafwag' above.  
This is a most interesting forum - thank you to all the contributors.  I too have pain in my right butt and would say that first thing in the morning there is absolutely no paid and it is only when I start moving around and sitting that I notice the pain coming back.  Fortunately, I do remember exactly how this particular uncomfortable problem came about.  I was up a ladder and on coming down, I misjudged the distance from the ground and ended up jumping off from a greater height.  I had already turned my right leg in preparation of walking to the side of the ladder and when my foot hit the deck I immediately heard and felt a click in my right hip joint - since then I've had pain in my right butt each time I sit down or put any sort of weight on my right leg.  Of the advice above, I think calcium tables might be a good thing as posted by 'dclark99' and I could have my coccyx re-alignment as indicated by contributor 'grafwag' above. Also another interesting forum to visit is TIPNA as suggested by contributor 'doedoe1' above.
My butt pain is different than most of you.  I feel very little discomfort when I am sitting.  When I stand up, however, I get a sharp pain through my upper right buttock. It almost makes my leg collapse. It does not radiate down my leg, and it eventually goes away as I walk.  If I get up slowly, and keep my back bent as I get up, I get much less pain.  I am a very active 55 year old woman.
I am an active 53 year old woman.  I have been exercising 6 days a week either doing the eliptical (for an hour) and weight machines (both upper and lower body) (1/2 hour) or walking for an hour outside with my dogs.    I recently have developed pain just above my right buttock area.  It does not radiate down my leg but if I bend my chin down to my chest or if I cough or clear my throat I feel pain there (in the buttock area).  Also sitting, walking etc...  I have been doing some streches that I found online and am going today for a massage. I have not been to the doctor about this yet.  I actually worked out this past week despite the pain but now the pain is worse so I will not work out for awhile until the pain subsides or I find out what is  wrong. Does anyone else have symptoms like mine?
Please note that prostatitis can present as deep buttock and groin pain particularly when sitting. This should be considered by your physician during an evaluation.
I hope this is important information which may help a lot of you.  I was on a tread mill for a stress test and right at the end I thought I pulled a muscle.  It continued to hurt in my right buttock and I couldn't sit for more than 15 minutes.  It was especially painful when driving.  The pain would start and go to my knee but never to my foot.  I was sent to physical therapy, deep tissue massage, bone DR., took nerve test, had an MRI, acupuncture,  and finally a pain Dr. recommended by a friend.  This went on for over a year without any improvement except sitting on a pillow while driving.  Even that only extended the relief for a short time.
I was told by the pain Dr. that they couldn't do anything for me and sent me home.

My friend went back to the pain Dr. for himself (different issue) and complained that he had highly recommended him to me. (I was seen by another DR in the Office).  A few days later the office called me and said to come back in.  They had reviewed my case and thought they might be able to do something.  I went in and they put a shot of cortisone in my sacroiliac while monitoring the shot with some form of X Ray.  I could see it flowing into the joint on a screen.  I felt no pain and it was over in a few minutes.  

I went home and two days later I had no pain in my butt.  In fact, a chronic back pain that I had for many years also disappeared.  It's now been six months, I drove to Canada to fish, plus did several other long trips.  No pain. I say it's a miracle because no other DR would consider such a treatment.  They all thought it was due to my back and pinched nerves.  I now tell everybody about this since no one mentioned that the sacroiliac could cause this problem.

Hopefully this treatment will work on others as well.  If you would like more information, please let me know through this column.
About 5 years ago I had pain along the top of my butt that got worse and worse to the point the it would wake me up sometimes. My chiropractor who did deep muscle work as well as the chiropractic adjustments had taken care of many aches and pains but this one she didn't seem to be able to help me with. Then one day she told me about Egoscue Method. I began doing those exercises (e-cises they're nicknamed because they seem so "easy") and the effect on my body was immediate, my chiropractor was very impressed. The idea behind Egoscue Method is that our bodies need a wide range of motion and our lifestyles offer limited repetitive motions. Egoscue Method gets the muscles that have stopped participating to gently come on board. It took a couple of years to eliminate the butt pain, but I felt so much better in so many ways as those 2 years progressed that I didn't mind the wait for that particular pain to disappear fully. I continue to do some Egoscue Method e-cises as close to daily as I can manage because they keep the pain away. Linda
http://www.kersschot.com/Biopuncture.html
I have had similar butt pain as the rest of you on this board.  It started Aug. 2010 while I was running.  I would get this pain where I couldn't lie down which made sleeping very difficult.  It would come for a week and then go away until I would lift something very heavy a few months later and the pain would come back.  I have now had a constant pain for  1 1/2 months where I can hardly function during the day and it gets worse when I sit down or try to lie down to sleep.  I have been to the PT, Chrio., have had accupunture, electric stem, ultrasound and massage with no relief.  I am told it is my right obturator internus muscle that is causing me all this pain.  I have FOUND SOME RELIEF AND WANT TO SHARE!!  Last week I checked out a book from the library called The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Clair Davies with Amber Davies.  I have been doing this trigger point therapy at home and I am no longer in constant pain.  The pain is still there but I have had 1-2 good days where I can hardly feel the pain on my right butt.  Please look into this book.  It didn't cost me a thing and I am so happy that I can function like a normal person again.  Good Luck to you all.
I'm like drc111, and having good results from trigger point therapy. Much I can do myself. Here is my suggested list of things to do. I've suffered 'the works' over 20 years (coccyx, back, legs, achilles, etc, etc), and this is easily the best so far.
1. Psoas release. Once a physio does it, you can copy and do it yourself, every morning and night, in bed. Easy. Videos on YouTube. Read the short easy-to-read book called Front to Back - The Hidden Culprit by Aileen Jeffris. Staggering.
2. Bend and touch your toes (or try). If you feel tightness in your calves or behind your knees, get some 'dry needling' to release the trigger points. You will have stiffness afterward for up to 36 hours.
3. Bend and touch your toes again. You should now feel the tightness in your thighs instead of your calves. Get some 'dry needling' to release those trigger points. You should now be able to touch your toes (or very close) without pre-stretching! Now you are correctly using your waist and your leg muscles are 'free'. Amazing!
4. Get some more dry needling in your butt muscles: Gluteus minimus - maximos - medius, and the TFL. to release those trigger points.
5. Sit in a chair, bend forward slightly to relax your abs. You should create a 'roll of fat'. Kneed it all over for a few minutes a day until the pain is gone. Do your waist and up the sides of your ribs....anywhere you can reach that feels tender.  The pain will go.
6. Feel along your chest for 'sore spots'. Also, from the solar plexus, down the rib line. Rub forward/backward on the spot for 60 seconds. May be uncomfortable, but will go over time. Repeat each day.
7. Do the same just off the edge of your pubic bone, just off centre.
8. Get someone else to do the same around your shoulder blades, arm socket, upper traps.
9. Get a QL (Quadratus Lumborum) release. (video on YouTube).
10. Finally, get the Pole of Pain, aka Foam Roller,, and roll inner thighs, and generally all over.

You will feel much better, gain some relief and begin to zoom in on any remaining sore spots. I can't believe how much better my back felt after trigger point work on my chest, and I now stand straighter!

I now look up the Trigger Point Therapy workbook and then tell my specially selected chiro & physio (who both do dry needling) where I need my dry needling for that session.

So to all the ignorant practitioners I've seen over the years, some who are quite well known, I wont be back.
It has been a while since your post! I was wondering if you have come up with a solution? I am a 38 year old active female. Last year I noticed a pinching pain in my right butt cheek. I thought it was wierd and grew concerned when it went from a pinch to pain. I backed off biking (road bike) for a while and it did get better. Earlier this spring I started again and had no issues. I then picked up running again and it has steadily grown worse. The dull pinching pain is unusual and has my GP and my Chiro very frustated. It is now radiating pain to the upper backside of my pelvic bones. Unlike others here, mine does not hurt while sitting, but when I get up from a chair it is extremely painful. As well as walking shortly after. Oddly it does not hurt while running. Sometimes I am "aware" of it while running, but not in pain. I have stopped running for almost a week and I am still in alot of pain. Lying down has no effect at all. I am going for xrays next week, but I was hoping maybe you had learned something about your condition that I could learn from. It sounds so similar. Or if anyone else had any positive results. Bursitis (sp) has been ruled out for the record. I hope all of you are healing well :)
pain in right side of butt.worse when standing, pain goesdownright leg to just above knee
I had severe pain in my right rear, cramping down my right leg, and into my right toe.  After the 4th MRI, the neurologist found the problem.  It showed up in a pelvic MRI.  I have a hematoma and a strained glute.  Blood is going into my muscles.  I'm not sure how that happened.  I started on a medrol dose pack today, and have a prescription for pain meds.  The pain is not coming from my spine, even though I have arthrosis in my facet joints.  I will see an orthopod this week to see if I need to do anything else other than wait for my body to heal.  Fortunately, this is fixable, but I had been frustrated by no diagnosis and lots of pain.
i have a question I am  20 year old female i have pain in my right buttocks travelling down my leg and my last two toes ar numb i cant feel them. sometimes the pain comes straight from my back to my butt and down my leg could this be a pinched nerve? i have no medical or job so i cant go to be seen by a dr. can anyone help me??
hi i have pain in my right buttock and it get worse buy doing fitness but sumtimes its in both left and right buttock its worse when i try to turn over in my sleep. it seems to die down when doing fitness but gets really bad once i stop exciseing the army given me a month to recover does any1 no what it is
have you tried Med-X ? It is a clinical treatment for LBP it helps recondition the para spinals and rehydrate the disc research at Med-X.com
Hi there,
I have exactly the same symptoms and had a laproscopy done and found out that I have what is called palvic floor hernia and there is not so much they can do about it. I am definitly not giving up and will let you know if there is options. sometimes strenghtening the pelvic floor muscels would help.
good luck and I feel your pain.
sorry I also forgot to mention depening on severity of it you could even get alot of presur on the rectum which also depends on the location of the hernia. :)
similar symptoms.. I'm 43 and have been dealing with this for 1-1/2 years.  Don't know what I did to injure Right buttock, when sitting too much it is aggravated (wouldn't call it pain, just a nagging & distracting issue).  Saw a neurologist, had every nerve test there was, had cervical AND lumbar MRI, which showed nothing wrong (but a little arthritis).  Saw physical therapist for months, then received 9 injections over the last year (varying from periformis, SI joint, lumbar, and finally the cervical spine injection did the trick for about 6 months only)... now it's back and it causes me crabbiness at the end of each day, when I sit too long.  I'm fine at home on weekends, not so much sitting around (or sitting on a soft couch)!  It does not prevent me from doing exercises and I am best when active.  I am very flexible, and any move/stretch they do to me does not hurt, the stretching feels good.  Now I'm seeing a chiropractor for some deep tissue massage, I do get some relief, but a few days later after sitting too much, it's back (I do make every effort to get up and stretch/move around.... I have done everything I've been told to do.  Chiropractor has taken a look at my MRI results and he doesn't see anything either out of the ordinary.  Next thing he would recommend to my Dr is getting a pelvic MRI.  I'm just sick of doctoring and I've got a lot of time invested in this - it's exhausting just thinking about it all, and what's ahead of me.  Don't know if it's a nerve or muscle - I wish there was a vitamin or herb out there that repairs muscles (if thats what it really is).  Thanks for any advice
Just noticed your comment and I know it's been quite some time but I was wondering how you were doing ?  I too have your symptoms, and I ride a bike.
Hi Sue,

I know you posted this comment awhile back, but wanted to check with you and see if you ever got your pain resolved and if you ever found out what it is.

I have the same problem and have had it for almost 2 years now. My orthopedic did xrays and MRI and says everything looks fine and that I would have to learn to live with it. Living with it is not working for me. I had new furniture and blamed the pain on that, so bought more new furniture...still having pain, now I resort to sitting in a computer chair with cushions....still hurts! Most evenings I'm forced to go lay in bed either face down or on my side because I can no longer sit. This started almost 2 years ago after a 7 hour plane ride... I can't get any docotr to understand the pain I'm in, they all tell me there's nothing showing on tests.

I have this pain when sitting, not so much when standing. I can feel it also if I try to tighten my buttocks muscles...pain is sometimes unbearable
I wonder if this person with lower back pain drives a P.T. Cruiser?  Have similar pain, getting worse, and my analysis takes the beginning of this pain to the coincidence of the purchase of this car; plus it is actually not a physically comfortable car for me to drive.  The seats are unbelievably small.  Am considering selling my Cruiser because of this growing more painful back problem.
   My history: for several years, right buttock pain when sitting (no nerve involvement), probably from years of jogging on concrete, then sitting all day at the computer, and letting the pain go untreated; it would wax and wane.  A year ago after increasing weights on the leg press at the gym, the pain worsened; couldn't even walk without pain.  Sports medicine doc diagnosed it as ischial bursitis; three steroid injections did not help at all.  Physical therapists taught me exercises to strengthen the muscles in the area.  Those exercises actually seemed to make it worse.  Had to quit exercising; couldn't even walk on the track at the gym.  I sit on frozen gel paks ALL the time; take a polar pak with ice in ziplocks on planes...somewhat embarrassing.

Finally a physician in the physical medicine dept. of the Mayo Clinic here in Rochester, Minnesota, ordered an MRI which showed minimal tendon damage.  He said it was due to letting the problem become chronic, but because it was minimal, with work I could expect some healing.  Below is what he recommended for me four months ago and it's the first real relief I've received.

What's worked:
1.  Stretching exercise:  Back straight, bend to waist over a table/counter until you feel a gentle pull in the buttock, push back up with hands.  45 repetitions, three times a day.  Gradually increase the depth you bend.  I had improvement in the pain within three weeks.  This is the main thing that has helped me.
2.  QUIT RE-INJURING THE TENDON!  No elliptical, no running/distance walking, but swimming instead.  Stop any activity that worsens the pain. After a few months, I can gradually build up to walking two miles every other day, my goal.
3.  Nitro-dur patch, cut into fourths; one fourth placed on the site for 12 hours each day.  The doc said this is not proven yet in the literature, but is promising.
4.  Sit on frozen gel paks; they're theraputic as well as reduce pain.  I have to even take them to restaurants, movies. etc.

I am a 63 yo female, an R.N.  I know this ischial tendonopathy will be chronic with me since I left it untreated for so long, but the above regimen has decreased the pain by 70% I'd say.  Hope this is of some help to you.
hi,

I have the same problem - very frustrating.  I do go to massage weekly because I found a massage school nearby where I can get a massage cheaper so please see if there is one in your area as it does help at least!
DITTO on all of the above..This sounds just like my life..I too have been doing therapt with massages, ultrasound and now traction..which helps but does not take the pain away for any amount of time..Trying to get anyone to order an MRI seems to be the big problem right now.. I do some stretching exercises but really like the sounds of the one your doing so am going to try it..This a miserable problem and people just don't get it..i always say that if I'm going to hurt like this at least show me a scar of something that proves I DO have this pain..I sometimes think its all in my head..I too am in my 60's and a retired RN...maybe  all those years on concrete floors contributed to our problem...
Good luck to you and thanks for the info........
Dec 12 I slipped in the bath and basically did the splits. I am 53 and about 350. The pain was unbearable.. I could not even get to car to go to hospital. Had 2 have an ambulance. Sports Med Dr. said torn hamstring. MY left leg turned black from but cheek to ankle. To this day I can not sit for more than 10 15 minutes (even on pillow) and when I do stand the pain is almost unbearable. I have almost fallen a couple of times.. I have tried stretching, lite leg lifts on my home gym and its not getting better.. all they did at hospital was take an xray and said nothing broken... I have made another appointment with Dr. but I dont think it will do much good...what can I do or say to them that this is real pain... I can not work as I am a Software engineer and need to sit for long periods..
Possibly the reason docs don't order an MRI is they know it's not likely to show anything definitive, no matter your pain. If you can walk into their office, the ischial hamstring tendon is probably not torn, so surgery isn't indicated and the treatment is thus fairly routine:  rest the area (kind of hard when you still have to walk and sit, isn't it!), ice, stretching exercises, strengthening exercises, and to quit re-injuring the area.
The reason the MRI was ordered for me was because after months of physical therapy my pain was not improved and the PRP (platelet rich plasma) procedure was being considered.  But when the MRI showed "mininal damage" to my tendon, the doc himself showed me the stretching exercise I described above; he said new research has shown that really helps.  No physical therapist had ever shown me that exercise.  They seemed to favor strengthening exercises and apparently I needed more stretching and less strengthening.
  I still have to carry my ice paks everywhere I go and have to endure pain, but nothing like it previously was.  I'm able to walk a mile a day now; my goal is two miles.
Oh, when I lost five pounds I found the pain was less, so I'm working to lose five more.
Yes, we RNs really pushed our bodies with all the standing, lifting, etc. and with little education on good body mechanics.  Good luck with your pain reduction.

Does your medical facility have a physical medicine department?  I found the docs there more helpful for my ischial tendinopathy than the sports medicine department.  Seems like Phy. Med. was more geared to older patients with chronic problems, or multiple problems, rather than the younger athlete...just my impression.

Since your tendon is torn, you possibly would be a candidate for surgery.  

I work at a computer a lot too, so I raised my computer up so that I could stand and work at it.  But you said standing was painful.  The one position I could be in that didn't hurt, was lying on my side.  Maybe you could somehow rig your computer where you could work lying on your side.

Also, sitting on ice (freezer gel paks) not only reduces pain, but it's theraputic too.  Cushions alone are not enough.

Good luck, and be persistant about finding a doc to help you.
Hi all -

I am a 51 year old female who just over a year and a half ago experienced tailbone pain out of the blue when I went to sit down. This pain ended up spreading to my lowerback, hips and legs, but was worse on the left.  I could not sit for more than 10-15 minutes and sleeping was almost impossible. I have always been active and for the past 18 months had been enjoying running prior to this injury. I had been in physical therapy off and on for 7 years prior to that for problems with my back, neck and shoulder, some of which was found to be related to hip alignment. I fell in the tub when i was 7 1/2 months pregnant with my 1st child (17+ years ago). After my second child I started having problems with my mid back and things went on and on from there...

The reason I bring up the history is because of the info I ended up finding out in my search for relief...starting with the significantly more recent tailbone pain above. My search for this most recent issue included 1 GP,. a Orthopedic Specialist, 2 physical Therapists (the latter of which has 8 visits still in appeal due to medical necessity), many x-rays, MRI's etc. The last PT found my body riddled with scar tissue, which, when I sat, would pull my hips, back and legs in mutliple and opposite positions...mostly the wrong ones. ASTYM treatments helped to finally breakdown some of this excessive scar tissue, when standard soft tissue manipulations would not. I was still not 100%...I was probably at 60-65 on a good day after this treatment went into hiatus. The ASTYM is intense and my orthopedic guy wanted to make sure any inflammation settled down to see where I was progress wise. This is when I found out insurance had bulked so I could not go back. this was September of last year. I finally paid out of pocket for a Chiropractor (specifically an Applied Kinesiologist). He watched me walk down his hall twice and found like 10+ areas of issue. He pulled on my right leg and removed 50% of my pain. I had multiple FACET IMBRICATIONS in my lumbar area (especially L3-L5) pushing on my sacrum. Secondly, I have major scar tissue in my hips, buttucks, legs and throughout my back. I also had 5 bones out in my right foot...the shocker...it was in the exact area where I sprained my ankle when I was 12-13. My range of motion with my ankle was maybe 25%. I had NO IDEA. Walking everyday for my whole life, let alone running, was already making my body overcompensate horribly. I am very flexible and have a high tolerance for pain and adapting to it...go figure. This, plus two major car accidents fed some of this, but so did taking advantage of my flexibility and adaptability for most of my life. Who knew not being able to sit would change my perspective on how absolutely blessed I was prior to its onset. I am getting better because of the help a few paid visits to a this Chirproator/Kinesiologist. He taught me and my husband how to help breakdown this scar tissue ourselves by using hubby's elbow in those all tender areas. It hurts like heck, but you have to apply consistent deep pressure until it releases. I use a golfball or soft baseball when hubbies elbow is not available.

Scar tissue could be something compromising your progress as well. Talk to your Orthopedic doctor, PT or Chiropractor. Or, look into one that can think outside the box and knows something about scar tissue and/or ASTYM/ASTM. Check with insurance to make sure it is covered and to what level and most of all know your body and push until you find an answer AND RELIEF. I can actually sit most often now with only pressure and slight discomfort. I am not 100%, but I feel like I am on my way. I just have to be patient and keep pushing!

NOTE: Drugs and shots will not solve this problem - they will only help manage the pain. if you have pain that is not being found on a traditional xray/MRI than most likely something is being pinch and/or pulled. Orthopedic doctors/Radiologists don't look for or see everything that can cause this pain on an Xray. My Orthopedic doctor said "WE don't look at x-rays the same way as a Chiropractor!" I don't really get that...if there is a different way to look at an x-ray and you don't know how to....than why wouldn't you refer me to someone else that could, if I am having pain you can't figure out????? Check into or research Applied Kinesiology as an option too and BLESSINGS and PRAYERS to you all!!!!
Hi. Years ago I had severe lower back pain in my left side. When I would sit and lean forward, I could feel a bulge on the left side. Standing the bulge disappeared. I had a been a gymnast as a child and very, very flexible. Doctors said it was a harmless lipoma. No one wanted to do anything about it. The pain increased so I finally got a surgeon willing to operate. It was NOT a lipoma, but a rare gluteal hernia in the muscle tissue. These hernias are very, very rare and doctors do not look for them nor consider them in men and especially in women.

I am currently researching surgeons where I live now because I just found another one in the right side - same area, same bulge, same pain! Some of you may want to research this and bring it up with your doctors. These hernias are very, very rare and occur more often in athletes. Just a suggestion for some of you!
Hi I've recently started getting pains in my lower back only in the right side and get a sore bum also in my right side and a throbbing pain also in the right side I'm scared to go to gp as I'm a keen exerciser and play football 2x a week I'm only 32 and female but I feel exercise helps me it's the sitting and standing that I'm uncomfortable with can anyone help or give me advice thanks carie
Hello - I am scheduled for this surgery in May. I am scared to death to do it, but I am so over this pain. I used to run and cycle everyday and now I can walk and lift a bit every other day with pain. I am so glad to hear your story. The recovery scares me, as I have rarely gone a day without exercising before all of this happened. Do you have any good recovery tips? You have helped me realize I need to do this to get better and I can do it and be able to run and cycle and live again! Thanks for any tips!
Hi there, I've had similar pain to yours for nearly 8 years now.  Started with sore pain at the hamstring insertion point into my pelvis and has just spread and the pain become more intense.  Sitting is really uncomfortable and I have a desk job yet I've just returned from walking in the mountains where the hamstring pain decreased as my legs got stronger.  It's only in one leg.  I've seen three neurologists, had endless MRI's, NSID's don't make a lot of different.  Have had various cortisone injections that made no significant difference either.  What was it that your physio did that made a difference?.