Exercise & Fitness Community
Running without a jockstrap

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Running without a jockstrap

Is it safe for my 20 year old son to run/jog without a jockstrap? (He runs with no support.)
It is perfectly safe to run without a jockstrap for support of the testicles.  If you are worried, you can suggest that he wear shorts rather than boxers, or he can wear the underwear with the short legs. These will give him some support, but will also give him comfort that jockstraps won't.  I know a fellow who runs in bicycling shorts without other underwear.  They are tight with a crotch pad, which gives him a soft testicle support while the padding between the legs prevents chafing (he has well built thighs).  hope this helps
I run without support.  And I have a child. =)
It largely depends on him. I personally need support whenever I do any vigorous exercise. If he is well endowed (penis and/or testicles) he most likely needs support. If not, then he should be ok. Ask him if he bounces much. If he does he needs some kind of support. However,an ill fitting jock can cause problems as well. I am personally having problems finding a jock with enough room. When I was a pre-teen and took Karate, I wore an adult size cup. Now, I am an adult, the standard adult cup and jockstraps are too small. Does anyone know of where to get larger ones?
i don't understand taking a chance on not wearing a jockstrap. it is a simple step to take to avoid hurting his  masculine area. even smaller endowed men need support. my scrotum hurts a lot if i do anything the least bit strenuous without support. you can argue all day if it is needed or not, but isn't it better to wear it and not need it than to find out he should have had it after an embarrassing injury? as far as comfort, i think it is worth it to give up a little comfort for the protection it offers.