Exercise & Fitness Community
Severe concussion; back to sports when?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Severe concussion; back to sports when?

I took quite a fall during a hiking trip this summer but my symptoms are almost completely gone.  During the hike, part of the ledge I was standing on gave way sending me 20 feet to the ground.  I was only unconscious for a couple of minutes but a paper cut is all it takes to freak my dad out. Being the doctor he is he
Your injuries were very severe if they left you with a bruised and bleeding brain.  Brain injuries like the one you suffered may take up to a year (or longer) to recover from.  Just because you feel better doesn't mean that your brain has fully recovered.  Your father is correct in pulling you from sports for a while because another, even slight, injury could cause further damage which may result in brain cell death that has the potential for permanent brain damage, then sports would be out for your lifetime instead of a year.  It will be tough to be on the sidelines, but you need to heal, so sitting out sports is a necessary thing for your health.  Do exercises and keep in shape and by next summer you can have another CT to check your brain health and get back to your favorite passtime. Not what you wanted to hear, and not doing sports in the last year of school is a tough thing.  College is next and presents more opportunites for sports than high school.  Good luck
We do hope that you mean your senior year of college, because our rules clearly state that no one under the age of 18 is allowed to post in our forums.

Your Dad is absolutely right and is NOT being overly cautious -especially considering your comments re: still having dizzy spells and headaches!  You had a serious head/brain injury and your body needs time to heal.  

Med Help International
Just to reassure you(Med Help), I am eighteen and in my senior year of high school. Thanks for your feedback, although it wasn
Just so you know some people take years to heal from a severe concussion and some will always have lingering symptoms like what you have described. If you are unware of their stories google Troy Aikman and Steve Park(NASCAR) to learn the full extent of what a head injury can do.

Also a hematoma on the brain is a very serious condition and you mentioned increased intracranial pressure which is also very serious,  I would not take the risk and take a year or two off.