Exercise & Fitness Community
Shin splints + Similiar condition in forearms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

I hope a doctor or someone with the same symptoms can finally help me here.

To quickly summarize, I was never very active as a young child, never muscley or an avid runner.

Nonetheless, I started running my senior year of high school. Not a lot. Not far. At college that fall, I started running a mile, then two. Probably a few times a week. By spring semester, I had a very fast 5K time and enjoyed it and had no problem with distance.

Then, after spring semester, I went home for the summer and picked up running again. However, I developed shin splints. I listened to my doctor, took two weeks off, and bought supportive shoes. I was able to run again! Or so I thought. In the fall, I was once again attacked by shin splints and so I laid off running for 3 months. This January, within two weeks, shin splints came back to haunt me. The doctors keep saying I need to rest but that has not worked, they have gotten progressively worse. I have been running since and I cannot stand it.

***In addition, I started worked my arms out heavily over the summer. Suddently, my forearms began to become painful whenever I used a machine that involve the curling motion (a.e. bicep machines). Soon, I couldn't use the machines, my forearms hurt too much. Apparently it's like having shin splints for your arms.

I have tried rest and I have tried using the machine correctly, but the "forearm splints" keep coming back too.

Does anyone have any idea why my bones hate me so much? Is there *anything* I can do? Am I doomed to be a vegetable not by choice?

(Note: I am having bloodwork drawn for RA, gout, and cellulitis. I don't know if this matters though.)
Avatar_dr_m_tn
hello Lone Yankee,
Shin splints is commonly encountered problem but not forearm splints.
I would advice you to get a full body bone scan to know the truth(whether its a true splint). Because stress fractures as well as tendinitis and mimmick these conditions.
So once your bone scanning is done, just inform us by posting.
regards
abhijeet
Contrary to popular belief unnecessary exposure to radiation does not help one on the road to enlightenment. A full body bone scan is unnecessary, unless you enjoy the possibility of having children with six fingers.

I'm not sure what the point of such a scan could be.

As I am sure you have been told, shin splints will heal if given rest.

There is quite a lot of difference between being a vegetable and a jock.

If you continue to stress your bone in inapproprate excessive physical activity you will end up in a wheelchair and can be a participant in the handicapped Olympics.

If you were an athlete making 15 million a year, I'd say "go for it", but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Some people have a genetic susceptability to these kinds of injuries.
I could be wrong here, but from what I've heard, shin splints are essentially muscle tissue cramping along the length of your shin. So there isn't much "healing" done by resting. Apparently they come from increasing mileage too quickly. Start back in more slowly, increasing weekly mileage regularly, but in small increments. You might be in great cardiovascular health, but your legs need to ease in.

As for the forearm splints, I feel you. For me it's the worst right after I set the bar down -- 4-5 seconds of pretty intense pain along the bone of my forearm, then it quickly fades into a duller, more bearable, but still annoying pain. I've been doing a little research, and apparently this comes from having weak wrists and forearms. Try beefing up your forearms and see if it helps! (Couldn't hurt, right?)