Exercise & Fitness Community
Shingles

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Shingles

Is it OK to exercise (walk and weight lifting) with shingles?
hi, pls don't... shingles is contagious.. it's like chicken pox.. and u don't want to pop it accidentally coz it'll leave a nasty scar.. hope u get better soon
Avatar_dr_m_tn
You can do after the incubation period. But viral disease weakens your body and you need to rest and recuperate and you can do it after falling of all scabs and you have no symptoms. Take protein diet with good vitamins and minerals for speedy recovery.
Take care!
Hello, I'm a regular athlete who just came down with the shingles for the second time in 15 years, this time I got the rash on my left arm, from the wrist up to my shoulder, rash following the nerve path, I sort of knew what it was and started taking 800 mg of Acyclovir four times a day (it was the weekend and wouldn't see a doctor until Monday) I had read about this, My brother in-law M.D. also sent me Fed Ex Lyrica for the PHN or postherpetic neuralgia which is the pain you get after rash has healed. So four 800 mg. of Acyclovir to fight the Herpes virus that is causing the nerve damage, two to three of 75 mg of Lyrica to prevent pain and 1,000mg of vitamin B to help the nerves getting better, as far a working out, I had to lay it low for a week, since my body was asking me rest and we must listen to our bodies, my rash cleared in one week, the pain that now comes from the back of my neck down to my left arm is also getting better, and worry, shigles are not contagious unless you haven't had chickenpox when little.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Shingles is always contagious during the incubation period and not related to you having it during childhood or not. The Viral attack leaves you weak and you need to have proper diet will all the medication . Take care!
All it takes is some quick online research to show that shingles is not contagious. Those who have not had chicken pox can contract the virus and develop chicken pox, but that is all.