Exercise & Fitness Community
Should I continue exercises?

Take charge of your health by joining others like you. Ask a question, join a conversation, get tips: fitness, nutrition, and management tools / trackers.

Should I continue exercises?

A short background:
I recently in joined a gym club. I am 28 yr old lean, underweight guy and the main purpose of joining the club is to increase my body weight and get toned. This was my first ever experience of weight training exercises and on the first day I tried almost everything I could, on my own, since no instructor was present that day. It was alright until I did a round of "Sit Ups" when I experienced a sudden sharp pain somewhere between my neck and right shoulder.
I didn't go to gym on the next day. I applied some "wintergreen oil" balm and the pain subsided. I continued from the third day. 60% of the pain had gone so I thought it was normal after effect of weight training.
Problem:
The pain didn't completely vanish till 2 weeks. I was  more worried as the pain worsened when my bike jerked on the road and as soon as I woke up. And the pain was only concentrated around my right arm and right neck area.
Another problem:
So I thought of giving up the exercises of upper body for some time and I resorted to cardio exercises. To compensate for the upper body workouts, I did heavy workouts on treadmill, bicycle etc and I sweated a lot ( normally, I sweat very less)! I also started adding some extra protein to my normal diet ( eggs, soya beans, cheese etc.) to recover the calorie loss...To my amazement, I started to experience bloating and pain in my abdomen after few days.
My question:
My bloating has subsided a bit after I have been taking one pantoprazole before meal for the last 3 days. But the pain in my right arm hasn't. Since I need to gain weight, I don't want to cut down on eggs, milk, cheese and other protein rich food completely. Should I need to get a medical help for the right arm now? I am sure the doctor will tell me to quit the gym so I don't want to....and, is cardio exercises ( that led to high perspiration) responsible for the bloating? What should I do now?

First thing.  You need a good nutritionist.  Balance is everything.

Too much of something is not good.

Regarding your neck pain, you might have a pinch nerve.  Ask your physician to request either MRI for soft muscle tissue injuries.  Get your back adjusted.

Most trainers like to push you, but if your body is not handling it well you have to listen to your body first and then the trainer.  Everyone is different. So remember that a spinal injury is not worth the rush.... take your time.  Be constant and the body image will come.

Good luck.

You need to see a doctor about the pain you are experiencing.  My guess is it is probably a pulled muscle, but it could be something along the lines of a slipped disc in your neck.... I'm no doctor, so please consult one in person.

Having some instruction in the weight room is the best way to avoid other problems in the future.  When lifting weights, technique is everything. Lifting, pushing, pulling anything wrong is a prescription for injury after injury.  As well, the older you get the longer it takes to recover.  (I'm 46 and injured a hamstring well over a year ago.... I can easily re-injure it now.)

As for ramping up your cardio routines.  Normally the more you work cardio the leaner you will get.  

There is probably a healthy way to gain weight while still cranking away at the cardio, but as the above poster mentioned, talk with a good nutritionist.
KeeLolo commented on veronica0808's status
47 mins ago
KeeLolo commented on KeeLolo's status
56 mins ago
specialmom commented on specialmom's status
Achieve your weight goals
Exercise Tracker
Make exercise part of your routine