Exercise & Fitness Community
Shoulder pain from calcific tendonitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Shoulder pain from calcific tendonitis

Has anyone developed a calcific tendonitis in the shoulder?  If so, what have you been able to find that helps with the pain?  Has anyone had surgery or ultrasound for it and what were the results?  I have been having so much pain with this and have not been able to find any treatment for it.  I am scared to have the surgery as I hear it may not change things and I may just have to live with this pain as it is now chronic.  Any advice??
Hi, I had a rotar cuff tear and had an arthoscopic surgery,8 weeks ago which revealed that I also had a spur,calcification on the base of my collar bone and damaged tendons in my bicep. So, I'm still in recovery and going to physical therapy which is very painfull now since i just started aggressive kind of therapy. I can't tell you the complete results of  surgery now till i comlpletely heal. Inspite of all the pain i've gone throt=gh after surgery and going through now, i have to say that i'm glad I went through the surgery and didn't wait anylonger. hope this helps.
I wish you a speedy recovery.  I, too am thinking of that type of surgery.  How was the surgery itself?  I have a lot of pain right now and can't sleep at nights because of it.  I am willing to try almost anything.  Have you had any cortisone injections for it?  I am also in physical therapy.  There is concern that I also have a rotator cuff tear so am awaiting an MRI.  I just want something to get rid of this pain.  Please let me know how you do with the pain and movement since your surgery.  Thanks.
Hi there,

I've had shoulder tendonitis for several years now. I've tried Physio, Accupuncture, Cortisone injections, Chiropractic and even surgery (about 16 months ago), but it's still not 100% better (it throbs and aches from time to time).

The biggest mistake I made was leaving it too long after I had noticed the problem without seeing a doctor. I assumed it was a pulled muscle, so just generally rested it, and didn't actually see a doctor about it for about 5 months. Obviously by then a lot of damage was done.

My recommendation would be to see a Physiotherapist about it IMMEDIATELY and follow the exercises to the letter. I'm sure you're already being steered in that direction.

The first cortisone injection I had did help the pain, although not cure it, but the second one wasn't as good.

I've also had some trigger point pain issues in the rotator cuff muscles as a result of the rehabilitation exercises which is just incredibly annoying!
just concerned-saw your posting back in september as i too was looking for others with calcific tendonitis in the shoulder. i had been dealing with this for quite some time but not as long as you. x-rays showed a very large calcium deposit and i tried  2 times with cortisone shots. i intially thought the first was going to work,however it only gave me relief for 5 weeks and the symptoms started again and the second did nothing. it was at that point my options became live with it or surgery. i opted for surgery because the pain is chronic and i couldnt stand it anymore. i am now 1 month post-op and very glad i had it done. in my case because the calcium deposit was so large and there for so long it ruined my tendon so not only did i need the calcium removed but it then caused me to have rotator cuff surgery. it couldnt be done arthroscopically so i have about a 4 inch scar on my shoulder but i'll gladly live with that to have that pain gone. ive got probably 3 months yet before my shoulder is fully functional and the recovery from this surgery is tough but the i can see and feel the difference and i would do it again if i had to.i would certainly take the time to at least go talk with an orthopeadic surgeon,if you havent,just to get all your options and any other questions answered. i know how awful this is to try and live with and i wish you the best.
I have calcifidic tendonitis and have been suffering for over a year with it.  I have also been through physical terapy, had numerous cortisone shots, and had needle aspiration which I don't recommend to anyone.  I can't sleep at night and have finally decided to undergo surgery in two weeks.  The doctor says that I can be out of work from 2 weeks to 8 months.  I would rather have the surgery than go through this paid every moment of every day.  I would like to hear of others that have had the surgery and what results you have or have not experienced.  Thank you.
suryka-i saw your posting and could give you some more info about my expierence with surgery but im not sure if you are having the calcium removed arthroscopically or having open shoulder surgery. mine was done open and i am now almost 7 weeks post op. i dont want to give you details if the surgery's arent the same. i also had to have that tendon repaired because of the calcium deposit so thats where the rotator cuff surgery came in. good luck. gothelp57
i had ultrasound done on my right shoulder in may of 2007...it showed that i have a bicep tendon effusion,calicfication and also rotar cuff issues.I have been on modified duties since then...my Dr. one appointment stated he was going to send me to a  specialist..but didn't,then at the next appointment mentioned nothing about it.I went to see him the other day again ...we talked about a speciallist again...but i feel like he thinks i am making up my pain i feel...my worst is at night ...especially when i go to bed ..laying is very painful and of course rolling isn't the nicest feeling either.I experience horrible throbbing in my bicep area and i find it very hard to lift or push and pull .I know this pain i feel is real and i go to therapy three times a week and do all the exercises to my best ability.My therapist stated she could understand why i am in so much discomfort,from reading my ultrasound results...my Dr. stated i just have swelling !!!!!..can anybody relate to my pain and let me know that i do feel this horrible pain and that it is not just all in my head ...thank you.....   litllena
I too have calcified tendonitis and I am going to see an orthopedic surgeon tomorrow after having pain for the past 2 weeks.  My symptoms started years ago and I have had flare ups many times.  Usually  the pain goes away within a few days of resting, taking antiinflammatories, and ice/heat.  The latest flare up is by far the most painful as I cry myself to sleep each night ( and I'm not a whimpy chick).  My chiropractor says he can make it feel better but I have doubts as to when it may return.  My shoulder is killing me..I can relate to your pain.  It is definitely not all in your head.  I think you may need to find a new doctor!!  Hang in there...flicka66
ty for your response..sorry i haven't replied sooner as i have been quite busy and trying to take care of my arm issues...i am going to see a specilaist (sports medicine dr.) as a referral.my pain has subsided slightly as i hardly use my arm best to my abilities...and when i do...i suffer.i am really  discouraged for my rehabilitation is being quite slow.maybe i need to be more patient..i don't know ...well ty again ...and i knew this pain was for real...take care
Good day.....I was just diagnosed with calcific tendinitis.  I could barely raise my arm above shoulder height and had impaired movement of the shoulder arm behind my back.   Pain was a 7 to 8 on a scale of 1 to 10.   Couldn't sleep one night last week.

I have an appointment with the orthapaedic (surgeon ?) doctor this coming Friday (9/7).  The pain is subsiding and arm movement is returning to normal!  

Should I cancel the appointment?  Not sure that there is anything that can be done.  Your thoughts?
My partner has recently had Calcific Tendonitis diagnosed and is in absolute agony. My latest offering of relief for him is a large dose of vitamin C and arnica gel. Has anyone tried accupuncture for this? If so, how effective has it been.
even if your symtoms (symptoms) are subsiding...my best bet would be for you to still go to the apointment.my doctor told me ...even though my arm will eventually get better(when i don't know)...that when i return to work i will have these issues return and with my job and repetative movements,will cause aggravation to it again...he told me to look for another job(how sweet huh?).
I went to the appointment as suggested...confirmed the calcific tendonitis.  The calcium deposits are about the size of a dime in circumference and 1/4" thick.   In addition, I have artheritis in the A/C joint, and two bone spurs on the acromion....not sure how big they are.   As the doctor was manipulating my arm, he also heard clicking in my joint(?).  It doesn't happen everytime I move my shoulder, but I now aware of it.   Doc gave me cortisone shot.  Helped a little...

Wondering if I should push for an MRI?  

Thanks!
Hi all.

I've had shoulder pain for 8 years now, i've had 3 cortisone injections 1 year of physio therapy an MRI which led to an operation, to which my doctor thought i had a rotor cuff tear (it turned out i didn't) so i changed my manual job and gave up my favorite hobby (golf) only to find that 2 years down the line i'm in the same position again!
Only this time the pain feels twice as bad, and its moved to my color bone and shoulder blades, and some times at the top of my spine.

I have not been back to my doctor about the problem as i get the feeling he thinks i'm lying about the pain!

Its always uncomfortable but at night its unbearable, i honestly cant sleep and get so annoyed with the pain, sometimes i want to just bang it against something in hope that i will get a pain else where to take my mind of the shoulder pain.

I've been to see a physio again even though i dont think it helps much.
She did some manipulation and tonight is some of the worst pain i've had in my entire life.

People hve recommended accupuncture so i'll give that a try. I would try anything now!
Have had shoulder pain since Nov 07. Had 6 visits to Physio. She then recommended I see a consultant who gave me 3 steroid injections, on 3 visits. Very little improvement. So on this Friday I am going to a doctor for acupuncture...

The other option I considered is called The Alexander Technique. It is based on posture and getting your body movements right?

Here's hoping.
I was diagnosed with Calcific Tendinitis just a few months ago.  Finished with the Physical Therapy about a month ago.  I now have a little better mobility, however I still have the pain and all the same symptoms as before with the swelling and painful issues during bedtime and during the day.  

Have been researching the possibility of Ultrasound-guided percutaneous (through the skin) therapy.  It's an alternative to surgery.  I believe in straying away from any kind of major surgery.

The procedure goes like this.  For the 10 minute procedure, the shoulder is anesthesized and, with ultrasound guidance, a radiologist injects a saline solution into the rotator cuff to wash the area and break up the calcium.  A second needle is used to aspirate, or withdraw, the calcium residue.  Recovery time is about an hour.  Calcifications that are completely treated do not ever return.  

Now I did not get this information from a professional it was an article I read on the Web from the Radiologist Society of North America http://www.rsna.org  

I will be taking this to my doctor to ask him about it.  Before I have anything done to my body I try to research as much as I can on the web.  If you don't research it and or ask questions you just won't get the info straight from the horses mouth.  Anymore it's like pulling teeth to get information out of anyone.  

Good luck to everyone else and I will be back as soon as I talk to my orthopedic doctor..
After physio (6 sessions); steroid injections (3) and now acupuncture by a GP (3), the shoulder pain is still there, 6 mos later. I am 66 and our daughter is getting married in Italy in 3wks time.

Anti-inflammatory pills have not helped much either. The Rheumatoligist suggests intraveneous anti-inflammatory injection. This takes 2 hrs in a hospital. Has anyone tried it?

It seems like I probably should have an MRI scan and see what that shows up?

Any advice or suggestions on what I might do next, please?

Ahavine
I was diagnosed with shoulder arthritis two years ago.  Last July I fell hard and actually lacerated a finger through the nail bed and my head.  At the same time I wonked my body pretty badly so, when the pain in the shoulder got worse (after the fall) I started researching and thought, "this can't be arthritis".  I went to my regular doc and he referred me to an Ortho doc.  He did an exam, took xrays and said, no to arthritis but that I had one of the largest calcium deposits on the rotator cuff that he had ever seen!  An MRI later (it is huge btw, and I cannot understand why my old doc did not see it) we then talked treatment. I had had two steroid shots that never worked - - the first lasted 2 weeks and the second not at all.  The doc said a deposit that large would not disolve by itself (apparently some do and that is the most painful stage).  He suggested surgery.  I have been in such intense pain that I have decided to take the plunge and have the surgery - here's the catch, he won't know until he gets in how much surgery there will be . . . in other words, he will start arthroscopically but, he may have to do open surgery.  Has anyone had experience with this?  And if so, how is it recovering?

Thanks and wish me luck.
Hi KNN555, how are you? How is your shoulder pain? When is your shoulder surgery scheduled? Here is some information on the calcific tendinits causing shoulder pain and restriction of motion and I hope this may be helpful to you in knowing more about the calcific tendinitis: "Calcific tendonitis is a condition that causes the formation of a small, usually about 1-2 centimeter size, calcium deposit within the tendons of the rotator cuff. These deposits are usually found in patients at least 30-40 years old, and have a higher incidence in diabetics". Link: ttp://orthopedics.about.com/od/rotatorcuff/a/calcific_2.htm
Physical therapy and heat therapy is helpful. Discuss about your concerns with the surgeon well before your surgery. Take care and keep updating.
When the acupuncture did not help my shoulder pain, the doctor put me on tablets (1/night) that have solved the pain more or less completely. They are called Amitriptyline tabs 25mg. Apparently, around for some time, they were originally prescribed as anti-depressants BUT they were not effective for that condition. However, it was discovered that they work well to relieve pain of the nerve / sciatica type.

The wedding in Italy was terrific and my shoulder never bothered me!

Ahavine
Congrats on the wedding!   Good to hear you feel better.
I was diagnosed with calcific tendonotis last summer (one year ago).   I had been swimming aggressively for over a month when my shoulder began to bother me more and more each day.  The doctor used x-rays and MRI in the diagnosis and said my deposits were large.  He suggested surgery.  A second doctor suggested the same.   Both led me to believe teh calcium deposits will not go away by themselves.  I have decided to live with the pain so far, and I am swimming again this summer, but have to use a slightly exaggerated rolling motion of my body lengthwise during each stroke because of the pain.   Perhaps I'm doing more damage to muself (?)   Meanwhile, I cannot get to sleep for hours because of the pain when I lie down.  I have found that a combination of one aspirin and the over-the-counter sleep aid Diphenhydramine HCI (25 mg) gets me to sleep faster and with less pain.  I buy Shop RIte's own brand, called Sleep-X.  Try taking just one first, although directions call for two.  Pretty soon I may opt for surgery because I feel I'm simply avoiding it and possibly harming myself meanwhile.
Hello
I have Calcific Tendonitis in my shoulder.

I have the reactive type
Xray 2006 and Xray Feb 2009 confirms
This is a pic if anyone is interested . CT shown with red arrow
[IMG]http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff168/kjl07/Cottage%20Reno/IMG_2715.jpg[/IMG]
I think the above link wont work so try this one

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff168/kjl07/Cottage%20Reno/IMG_2715-1.jpg
I haven't had the procedure, but this gave me some hope:

ScienceDaily (July 6, 2009) — A minimally invasive procedure to treat tendonitis in the rotator cuff of the shoulder provides immediate symptom relief to the patient, according to a study published in the July issue of Radiology. The study found that ultrasound-guided nonsurgical therapy significantly reduces pain from calcific tendonitis of the rotator cuff and restores lasting mobility after treatment.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090630074949.htm
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Try to discuss these options with your surgeon  for calcific tendonitis if conservative treatment has failed:

The deposits can be broken up with a hypodermic needle and sucked out with a syringe. This procedure often relieves pressure on the tendon and brings quick relief. Normal function is often restored within a couple of days.

The majority of people do not need surgery. When conservative treatment fails to bring relief and calcium deposits cause frequent bouts of pain, surgery to remove the deposit may be recommended. Surgery may also be recommended when a very large calcium deposit interferes with movement of the shoulder. A large calcium deposit may have to be removed through arthroscopic surgery or occasionally, open surgery.

I've been feeling pain on my left shoulder for a few months, but it only last several days (4 max so far this week), and the pain builds up and peaks one day.  And it's does get worse at night, and it's painful to touch, I also feel cracking of the bones, etc.  Went to the orthopedic surgeon last week and without giving me some X-Rays he diagnosed me with impingement syndrome and prescribed physical therapy.  I wasn't in pain by the time I had the appointment.  The pain returned this week and couldn't get an appt with my orthopedic doctor and another doctor in his office wouldn't see me because I was this guys' patient.  Ended up having to go to urgent care (still in pain) and he finally gave me some x-rays.  
And there they were 2 calcium deposits on by bone. He gave me a anti-inflammatory shot Decadron (doesn't seem to be doing much yet), and prescribed Norco (generic vicodin) & Naprosyn (prescription anti-inflammatory), haven't taken them yet, will do so at night.
I also got some physical therapy today (he gave me electroshock), but since my shoulder is so sore I couldn't really move it.

I'll let you know what the OS says now after this discovery. My arm movement is extremely restricted now, even buttoning my pants sends shooting pain up my arm.  I'm glad the urgent care doctor took care of me.  And thanks for letting us know about other issues related to calcific tendonitis. I want to get it treated before it messes up the rest of my tissues.  
I have had pain for several months in my left shoulder.  After some complaints to my doctor, he diagnosed "impingement" and sent me for physio, but also eventually for an ultrasound.,  

The physio didn't help much after about a month.  The ultrasound diagnosed calcific tendonitis of the supraspinitis.  The doctor said continue the physio with the possibility if no resolution after another month or two of scheduling surgery.

I read the internet reports of the ultrasound guided lavage to clean out the calcium deposits.  I am in Canada, and it seems this procedure is mainly done in Italy and Spain.  I could not find any reference of it being done locally, and my doctor who is pretty good and occasionally helps out the orthopedic surgeon was not aware of the procedure.  I did find a place just a couple of hours away in the U.S. that was aware of this procedure and could do it (Inland Imaging in Spokane, WA).  I was going to Maui anyhow, and so had my doctor give a referral and had the procedure done.  

After a few days, the shoulder was definitely better, although still not perfect.  After 2.5 weeks, I have considerably more range of movement and less pain than before.  No more waking at night.  X-rays showed, I believe, some hard build-ups.  They can apparently only wash out the toothpaste type calcium build-ups, so maybe the hard build-ups cause the remaining pain, or maybe it is just being out of shape/flexibility.  I was able to golf in Maui, although with some pain.  It did help my swing some as I had to rotate my hips more so I would not twist my shoulder as much towards the end of the swing.  I would say it is still improving, so maybe if I work with the physio impingement improvement exercises, it will get better.  It was definitely worth the $600.
Hi , i have been in agony for thr past year back and forth to my gp complaining i cant walk , im in agony first thing in the mornings cant sleep at night cant stand for periods of time can get upstais cant walk down , eventually tired of my constant visits i got too see a consultant who arranged a scan turns out i have limb lengh discrepency ,two foot spurs calciforcation and tendonitus of thr achillies tendon , hurray i wasnts nutts and imaginging the pain as my gp thought , i had cortisone injections in my accillies via a scan but it didnt work and made it far worse , i could walk at all ,and living on pain killers and diclofenac , antiinflamitoris ,nothing touched the pain , today i went back and they recommend physio , i cant even stand and will plavce my foot in a surgical boot , but said after that there is little els they can do , i just pray it works as this is no quality of life at the moment and im stuck looking at four walls sadly , any suggestions folks ill rtry anything ,,,
I'm in the dregs of calcific tendonitis, with pain enough to wake me up and make sleeping quite difficult.  I've had two cortisone shots.  The last one worked wonders, and completely eliminated the pain, but its effects have completely diminished and its only been 4 weeks.

I have surgery scheduled, but not for a few months since I don't relish the idea of being disabled during the summer months, but I'm not sure I will last the few months with these symptoms.  

I also take Enbrel for psoriatic arthritis (and have for many years), so I'm not sure this contributed in some way, but literature does not suggest this.

I've read that aggressive physical therapy may help, which I am going to try.  I have been in PT, but when my shoulder gets sore, I usually stop.  Now I'm reading that even if the shoulder is in pain, the PT exercises can still help a lot.  I'd love to hear any input on this.  The surgeon is telling me that it won't go away, but I'd like to try everything short of surgery first, although I don't want to do so at the risk of further damage to what now is a rotator cuff without a tear.

Ideas?
I damaged the tendons in my shoulder after carrying too heavy a load on a shoulder strap.
Three steroid injections made no difference.
The only thing that relieved the pain were "Celebrex" tablets.
They can cause stomach ulcers over time though.

I havent had much trouble with my shoulder but then recently my shoulder is sore all the time.

I havent had any surgery as since the last re asorption the shoulder didnt hurt.

I read my previous post where I stated it is reactive and now I cant remember how I knew that ! I know there are two types degenerative and reactive but cant remember if I was told it was reactive.
Not sure if this link will work

http://www.flickr.com/photos/myxray/

So now my shoulder basically hurts all the time so does this means it is reactive?
Matilda
I have calcific tendonitis in both shoulders now

Had xray in 2006 and 2009 for left shoulder.

In 2010 xray again on left shoulder but also now have it in my right shoulder
Pics at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctxray/

What is the best solution to easing pain etc?

Will I need surgery?
I have been suffering with this for years now. I first remember having pain about 8 years ago in my left shoulder, and was diagnosed with tendonitis. The last 2 years have been hell. I have now been diagnosed with Calcification Tendonitis in both shoulders (8mm)  I have completed a course of 20 physio sessions including deep heat lamps, Ultrsound and Tense machine. None of this helped. Ive had cortizone jabs in both shoulders where I has 5 fantastic weeks pain free. I went back to my specialist 2 days ago and have also been diagnosed with it in my hips too. He gave me another shot of cortizone in my right shoulder because that is the worst and I am now waiting for a Scan so that I can be operated on. I take TREMADOl which eases the pain a little but am so looking forward to surgery. Ill be having my right shoulder done first then the left. My hips will be done next. Ill let you know how it all goes. By the way I live in Spain and the medical assistance here is fantastic
Lorrain
Hi Lorrain, I have recently been diagnosed with tendonitis, bursitis and calcifications in my left shoulder.  I have been to 3 physical therapy sessions.  The physical therapist heats my shoulder and then agressively stretches my arm and has bursted two calcifications so far.  He says I have at least one more.  The bursting is excrutiating, but I have regained a lot of motion in my shoulder.  I was having severe difficulty with anything over the head such as washing my hair or attempting to style it.  I have very little problem with that now and no pain while doing it.  Just can't reach quite as far as normal.  Also, my shoulder still appears deformed when I raise my arm straight up.  When I was at my worst I could hardly open my arm pit.  After the stretching and working on breaking through the deposit I am iced a little.  Then I do a little excercise in the gym.  I am so hopeful that with this treatment and the stretches that I am doing now that I can succeed in keeping this from reoccuring and also not get it in my other arm.  I have been looking all over on the internet and have not seen anyone describing the type of therapy I am receiving.  The first day when I went in I was more relaxed because I did not know what was coming.  The first calcitrated area broke with a loud crack.  I wish you well.
hi gang,

i am suffering from calcific tendonitis in my right shoulder. came on suddenly two days ago and i was into see my ortho the morning i woke up with it. never heard of it before, but like others the diagnosis was pretty easy. x-ray very easy to see.

my comment question is about pain. ive been bit by a rattlesnake, broke my nose twice, had my apendics rupture -and NOTHING can compare to the pain i feel with this. is the pain variable? I am totally debilitated, cant even move my arm or shoulder and there is no comfortable position. my ortho has given me two steriod injections back to back each day and perscribed vicodin and 800mg motrin.

he wants me back to see him tues. i dont know if i can make it that long..the pain is overwhelming. how can some of you say you have this for years? if that happens to me I will ask for my arm to be amputated cause I would not be able to live with this..my ortho says i will be better in a few days...god i hope....

thoughts?
I have just had a steroid injection in my shoulder yesterday. I have been in pain for many months, it got so bad I couldn't actually raise my arm in the end. I'm in a little pain now but I feel better already. I would like to know if working out can cause it. I have lost 3 stone working out and it all started then.

Hope you feel better soon. If you get treatment quickly its much better at healing. My friend didnt get help until she was very bad so her's was harder to get back to normal, but she did eventually. Good luck.
I've had calcific tendonitis 5 years. I, like many of you, thought it was a temporary injury, so I didn't seek treatment for a year. I had a bad yoga teacher that made us do aggressively fast sun salutations, so by dropping into a push-up position too quickly over and over and then carrying a tray on my bad arm…yep, one day I realized the pain was chronic and not going away. I was in my mid twenties then. Knowing what I know now, I feel qualified to give advice, but there is obviously variation within people's condition. An x ray will give you a diagnosis; you can get an MRI, but they are claustrophobic, expensive, and you need a contrast dye injected into your joint to see anything, which hurts something awful. If you wait years after the incident, if there was one, there may be no more soft tissue damage, i.e orator cuff or labrum tears because your body "fixed" it with calcium deposits. Some Dr's will say the deposits don't necessarily cause your pain, but I think they usually do! I've seen mine and they hurt, I can also feel them "catch" the tendon when I move my shoulder. I guess use the theraband, and try blackburn exercises to strengthen your rotator cuff, here's the link to the exercises, don't be put off by the fact that it's a pitcher: http://danblewett.com/2010/11/how-to-properly-perform-blackburn-exercises/
My physical therapist doesn't care about my condition, like it's small potatoes to them and my oath seems not too sympathetic, like I'm looking for med or something, so I've been forced to troll the internet for my own solutions. The blackburns will probably hurt your shoulder at first; my Dr.'s said to discontinue activities if there is pain, but literally everything I do, even sleeping hurts. I mean 24/7/365 hot burning in my shoulder. So, I think non-weight bearing exercises at least give you some blood flow, if you have severe chronic pain, but of course I don't want anyone to reinsure their shoulder further, so listen to your body, if anyone even ever reads this.

I don't recommend cortisone shots, I had 1 and it only worked for a few weeks. You're limited to 3 because they weaken your tendon long term. IPersonally, I'm not getting another one, it simply isn't worth the risk. If you have bad pain and a good surgeon, try the surgery but the ultrasound guided lavage sounds the best and least invasive. Of course crappy *** Kaiser doesn't have it, and to be brutally honest, I'm not letting them play operation with my shoulder "we don't know how successful it will be, arthro might not work, we may have to open you up." That kind of talk is unacceptable to me, it's 2011 surely you can do better than that, like pretend to care or have professional standards or something?

Back to being serious: There is a non-steriod anti-inflammatory topical cream you can buy online from the UK, but sadly they don't sell it here in the US, it's called deep relief. Since you have to get it shipped, do yourself a faro and buy 2-4 at a time, although 1 tube should last a few months.

For all you people in pain, I blew out my stomach taking ibuprofen for months straight, I shudder to think of what my liver looks like! I'm just saying I understand the challenges and utter hopelessness of living with chronic pain, but long term you need your stomach and liver- apply the anti-inflammatory right to the site! Rub it in; I've found a magnesium spray that supposedly works; most people are deficient anyway and if you take it orally you get the runs. I don't touch calcium supplements, but the topical application of magnesium supposedly helps to break up the calcium deposits, I'm not sure if it works, disclaimer, but I get migraines, muscle spasms, and numb fingers and toes, so the magnesium also helps with all of that.

I'm sorry all of you are in pain, but it makes me feel validated to hear people describe the same thing I experience, I feel like my Dr., family and friends think I'm just complaining…maybe I do complain, but it's only because I have constant and consistent pain for which I cannot get relief for any significant amount of time. Finally, regarding the Blackburn exercise, sometimes I do them and my shoulder magically stops hurting, but sometimes afterward the pain gets worse, like it radiates up and down from my collarbone, which can be scary because the last thing I want to do is inflame the subacromial bursa, which could be what is happening. However, I've heard that when the deposits break up the hurt worse…I'm hoping that's what the pain is after the blackbirds, so I ice, and try to massage the deposits into oblivion with my hand and visualize it happening. I've also heard you can try to make your body more alkaline to reduce the likelihood of the deposits forming, which would have been helpful to know prior to the unfortunate series of events. OK, that about covers my experiences, trials, tribulations, and small victories with my shoulder. I hope someone found this useful or interesting.
So sorry to hear about what you are going through and yes in a weird way it makes us feel better that we are not imagining the pain and there are others experiencing the same thing. Thank you so much for your post. My husband suffers from the same condition and it really worries me. I can't bear to imagine that he could be living with this pain for the rest of his life. Every consultant that we have seen has given us a different diagnosis. Very frustrating. He has had two cor. injections which have faded in their effectiveness after 6 weeks. As an acupuncturist I have also tried several treatment methods on him which only offered temporary relief. I'm still trying to find alternative treatment protocols that could actually help with the removal of these calcium deposits. I will inform this forum as soon as i find a solution. Consultants have suggested operation but we are now waiting to see the neurologist. How effective is the Deep rub and for how long do you become pain free?

many thanks
I was was told 1 month ago that I have calcific tendinitis in my right shoulder,Before seeing a bone specialist I was referred to a rematoligist who told me I had bursidus in the shoulder when returning back to my primary care md since I did not believe him she ordered an x-ray and sent me to the bone specialist,who saw the calcium on my shoulder bone,I went to physcial theropy for 1 month with not much relief and returned to the md for follow-up now I'm having a mri done. I have had md's tell me I have arthritis,fibromyalgia,lupus,and bursidus, what is going on,I need help.I am in pain most every day and anti-inflamatory meds help little.
Hi I have had this pain in my shoulder more like my upper shoulder above the blade. and when I touch the area it hurts and feels very weird kind of like a knot but way worse like rubberbands or something. It isn't normal. and when I use my arm lift something etc it kinda bothers me. I was wondering if anyone knew what it could be? I am going to see a doc this week and try and figure it out bc it is not getting any better it just gets worse and hurts.
I live on Long Island, NY and have been suffering with left supraspinatous calcific tendonitis for over 12 years.  I'm a local chiropractor and refrained from undergoing surgery all this time because of the physical job I have. Finally, because of the tremendous amount of pain I was in while adjusting my patients and any physical exercise, I was forced to see my orthopedist. I was concerned I would need surgery for this, but he felt that US guided Needling would be the best avenue for my condition (7 mm Calcium Deposit).

2 weeks ago I had the procedure performed as out patient at a radiologist office. The procedure wen very well and I was out in 1/2 hr.  For 2 days I felt very good, but I think that was because of all the pain lidocaine and cortizone that was injected into the area.  This led me to believe I can do more than I should have. After 2 days it was like getiing hit by a bus, my shoulder was in extreme pain and this has been going on for almost 2 weeks. I was told by the radiologist I'd be ready to perform my regular duties by tomorrow.  Sadly to say this isn't going to happen. Thanks  to a long holiday weekend I'll get the rest I need to allow my body the chance it needs to recover.

Has anyone in this forum had this procedure, and if so how long was the recuperation?
Have just come from the Orthopaedist who after viewing my MRI declared I have " a nasty Calficic Tendonitis" in my left shoulder.  I have been suffering with this for about 8 years now, only severely, for the past year.  He has decided to try ulltrasound guided cortisone injection as a first attack, treatment wise, and if not successful, will perform laproscopic surgery which he assures me will solve the problem.  My husband is a chiropractor, and I am at a loss as to how you manage to adjust with such pain in your shoulder!  Am praying I am soon going to be to able to sleep on my left side again!
I had pain for about 3 years (due to a head-on car accident, but I was too wrapped up in my son's health issues, bone marrow transpant, lymphoma, blind for 6 months, kidney failure from what they do to you for a bone marrow transplant, and a kidney transplant)  I had two shots of cortisone over a 4 month period.  I feel the docs give way highter success rates than what is true >:(    I had that procedure on July 6, 2011,left shoulder. It didn't work. I was told I had about a 90% chance of that working, but the doc that actually did the procedure told me 50%.  After about 6 weeks I am in full on pain again. I'm surprised your doc told you to go back to regular activity.  Mine told me to baby my shoulder for 3 months and gradually increase activity.  Now I am looking at surgery in October because I haven't found anything else that would help. :(   I'm not happy about it but it's ruining my sleep and I feel like a cripple.  
Hello everybody. I'm pretty new to the obviously large group of unfortunate mortals diagnosed with calcarea tendinitis all over the world. I live in Poland, a small country in central Europe. My story began some 5 weeks ago, when I woke up one sunny day to get up and go to work, feeling a slight pain in my left shoulder, almost at the very top of it. Thought nothing of it really. Thought - like countless other little pains here and there from time to time, it would go away sooner or later. I was far away from home, working on a contract, living in a rented flat, with no one to care a damn about me. Anyway, the pain was bearable all day and I worked my usual, full of stress 13 hours. At night, however, it got a bit worse, causing me some problems with falling asleep. Nevertheless, I got up the next day and went to work as usual. Soon it proved practically impossible to move my left arm and perform the simplest office tasks like using the computer keyboard or even lifting up a cup of coffee. Luckily it was Friday and some of us were to go to our respective hometowns for the weekend. I asked somebody to take me with them the 450 kilometers to my home, thinking that at home I would get better quickly. How wrong I was... Saturday was a nightmare. Like most of you, I have never experienced a pain like that in my 37 years' life, not even when I dislocated my knee (four times) or broke one of my elbows. My husband was terrified, as I practically howled like a dog all night, my pillow all wet from the tears I cried out. He finally took me to a hospital, where they took an x-ray which revealed a "cloud" of something white right at the side of the top of my shoulder bone. The diagnosis was that I... fractured my bone, and the visible cloud was a piece of it! I never believed it even for a second! The doctors said that sure, it was quite unusual, considering I had no signs of injury whatsoever, but that maybe it happened in some unexplicable way. Give me a break... I was prescribed some anti-inflammatory pills and was adviced to take paracetamol for pain killing. I had already been full up to my ears with paracetamol, as I'd tried to help myself and relieve the pain before, but neither paracetamol nor the anti-inflammatory stuff helped me. I was in agony for the next few days, not able to sleep, not able to lie down properly even, as lying down only intensified the already unbearable pain. And believe me, going thru all this when I knew the diagnosis was completely wrong didn't help to lift my spirits. My husband searched the Internet and found a private doctor, an orthopaedist, some 120 km away and we decided to try him. At the first look at the x-ray picture he said, without any doubt, it was some sort of calcification and advised surgery/arthroscopy. The problem is that the queue for such treatment in public hospitals is about two months, and I cannot afford doing it in a private clinic. Now, after almost 5 weeks since it started, the pain is almost gone. of course I can't move my left arm in every desired direction, I can't lift too heavy objects or things like that, but I can sleep at night and that's the most beautiful thing in all the "recovering" process. Frankly, I thought all was going to be well, until I found you guys here :) From what I can see, reading your stories of year by year suffering, it's just the beginning of my problems.
What worries my most is that nobody actually wrote a story about their full recovery from this. maybe it's simply because people who finally managed, this way or other, to get rid of calcarea problem, don't feel bothered to visit such forums any more. I honestly hope that's the case rather than thinking that our illness is incurable...

I am scared as hell as far as the surgery goes. I'd rather try something different first, but your relations on other kind of treatments don't leave me with much hope in that department. Anyway, I truly hope there is a permanent cure and that all of us who shared our experience here will find it. Take care you lot!
Anna.
Me again. Guess what, I had a check-up x-ray done yesterday and my calcific deposit is gone! Or at least there's nothing to be seen where it used to be. Could be that it changed location, or simply vanished thru re-absorption. I read somewhere that in case of these calcific deposits the most painful phase is when it gets disintegrated and the process of re-absorption begins. So maybe when it hurt the most, it was in fact the very sign of healing. But could it really have healed completely in the course of just 5 weeks? What still bothers me is that I can clearly feel there's still something in there. I mean - I can still feel something "catching" my muscles or disturbing my movement and the pain hasn't entirely stopped either. Can't lift my arm too high or sleep on my left side. Well, I guess time will tell. I'm back to work in a week's time and I hope I won't be escorted right back home with crucifying pain like the last time.
Anna.
Hi everyone.  I live in Sydney Australia and have had  calcific tendonitis in my right shoulder for some 7-8 years.  Like a lot of you I didn't do anything about it at first, but then when I did I was not told by the specialist that if you don't do something about it soon that it may go hard.  I have had 3 cortisone injections over that time do not help.  

Now 8 years down the track I have been to another specialist, (who by the way has a lovely nature and seems to actually care), and he wants me to do the ultrasound guided needling just once before I have the operation to see if it works.  I am also going to have an MRI just before the needling.  I have an operation booked in for 20 December 2011, but am hoping the needling may work.  

I am extremely worried about the needling as the calcium may be so hard it may hurt a lot.  Yes, I'm a chicken!!  Can anybody tell me is the needling very painful?  My specialist gave me a prescription for Valium to have just prior to it so it would calm me down.  Would love to hear what the procedure is like from someone.  It has been great reading all of your postings - thank you to all!
I have had this painful condition for a year now. In March I had the needling followed by cortisone injections & it's ok (having my eyes lasered was far worse). It certainly wasn't as bad as the pain in my shoulder. Once I felt a little faint as when he touched my shoulder it was sheer agony, but he obviously had to do this to inject it. I went privately & was in for about 45 minutes, but the scanning itself took at least half of this time. Sadly 6 months on the pain has gradually returned, and I am hoping that it gets no worse. The professor warned me that I only had a 50/50 chance of it working and I need surgery (which I am not having) but I feel it was well worth the risk. I have had 6 months completely pain free up until now. The professor also said that the shoulder will heal itself within the next 3 to 4 years. Myabe. I am not so optimistic having read these posts. Good luck.
Thank you so much for responding.  I had read that needling may not totally stop the pain in some situations.  I have had a good think about this procedure over the weekend and have decided to skip the procedure and go directly to the operation which I have booked for 20/12/11 - Happy Xmas!  The only reason being is that I have had the condition for 7-8 years and feel that my calcium will be so hard the needling won't be worth it for me. The calcium is 18-20mm and still growing.  I think I need to act now and stop putting it off. Thanks again - Julie.

I spent five hours in A&E a couple of nights ago, in terrible pain with my right arm. I've had episodes of pain with it before but this was by far the worst. My GP initially thought a torn bicep but I now have the diagnosis of Calcific Tendonitis, confirmed by x rays. The pain is unbelieveable, and sleeping impossible. I have been prescribed Voltarol and Co-Codamol, which barely work. I have such limited movement, unable to lift my arm more than a couple of inches, and as I am already on crutches and in a plaster cast for a ruptured achillies tendon, my mobility is even more restricted. I am a keen archer and have since discovered that calcific tendonitis was a big problem with archers of the old days, so it looks like I will have to give it up.
Steroids injection like this http://****.html helps me to treat calcific tendonitis in the shoulder.
I have been dealing with left shoulder tendonitis since 2006.After 3 rounds of physical  therapy and 3 cortisone shots I was sent to physiatry and eventually in for an MRI.Of course the dye insertion was incredibly painful but if the Drs.could find out what was causing this excruciating pain I felt it was worth it.
Calciun deposits in my rotator cuff were found .The Dr referred me to an outside source to have the needling and lavage  done.He said that he had done it before but never on the amount of calcium that had accumulated in my rotator cuff.The Dr. did not prescribe any pain meds for this procedure .I was petrified at the thought of another  needle going into that joint again.The Dr. stopped the procedure and said that he could do nothing more to help me and would reccommend that I have arthroscopic surgery done.That was because of the consistency of the calcium,it could not be removed through the needle(too hard).I am scheduled for surgery on Dec 27.2011. I am trying to be optimistic about the recovery time .Hopefully if I work really hard to rehabilitate it will not be 6 months off of work.Which  ill be a  financial hardship.
I read your post and felt I would comment, I have had calcific tendonitis since 1979, at times it was unbearable, usually I would get it in the spring and the fall of the year, it was pretty bad for 2 or 3 years, then my wife and I invested in a water bed, not for my condition but just because we wanted one, within months the pain went away and never came back, until about 1 1/2 years ago we moved to a building that doesn't allow water beds, the pain came back about 6 months ago and I thought I had damaged my rotator cuff, I have been nursing my shoulder and being very careful with it and it seemed to heal and the pain was nearly gone. Now the same pain has started in the other shoulder and I am convinced it is tendonitis. I am going to set up a water bed and see if the pain disappears again. I used to keep the water bed temperature at  about 78 degrees F.
i have suffered from this agonising pain for years, the damage was done back when i had a manual job and i overstretched the tendons, at this time cortisone jabs sorted it out...
4 years later, pain back with a nvengenance and a small hard lump appeared...
after several months on Kapacke and iburophen anti sickness tablets and anything i could get to take the pain away (esp at night) i am going for surgery next week!
will let you all know how it goes...
After reading the various stories on this website and information on other medical websites I decided not to go ahead with the needling as my calcium is very large and now 7-8 years old so probably really hard.  The specialist kindly agreed with me.  I was however still to go and have an MRI which I did on Wednesday, but failed dismally as the MRI chamber was so small, cramped and disgustingly claustophic I was out within minutes.  Apparently there were enough pictures taken at the MRI the doctor is happy to proceed with the operation without any further pictures.  So on my way to the operation now on 20 December 2011.
Me again.... Looks like my joy was a tiny bit premature... Although the last x-ray showed no deposit in my shoulder, three weeks have passed and the pain is still there. I'm back to work and find it hard to function normally. Sometimes the pain gets so acute I just want to chop the cursed limb off. I have problems with dressing up, taking clothes off, switchin on the light if the light switch is placed too high on the wall, combing hair etc. I mostly use the other arm to do anything. I'm pretty depressed.

jimmycrackcorn007, thanx for the tip about waterbed :) I think, however, what works for some of us won't necessarily work for everybody. It's not that I don't wanna try, it's simply that waterbeds are too expensive for me to take the risk of it simply not doing the trick for me :)

Snowy000, moorsey72, debbstuff and others who will have their deposits surgically removed - please do share the results with the rest of us :)

I have had calcific tendonitis in both shoulders for a few years now.  It mostly affected certain movements, like reaching into the backseat of the car and lifting weights (military and bench presses).  During those movements the pain had me close to throwing up or passing out.  Ditto for streching--which I do a lot as I am a multi sport athlete.  I figured as long as I knew the pain would end when I stopped those movements, I was ok.  Then came yesterday.  I woke up and had difficulty sleeping for several nights.  But yesterday morning it continues after I got up.  I had to use my other hand to guide my right arm to attempt to shower and wash my hair.  At work (I am a nurse in physical rehabilitation) I told my co-worker therapists about it and they had not heard of this.  I made an appointment with my ortho doc who last saw me in August.  By the time I got home I dug in our medicine closet and found a sling (we have serial wrist fractures in this house).  I could barely find a position that was not extremely uncomfortable.  I slept in the recliner chair as I knew lying on my side in bed would be impossible.  When I awoke, I was in such incredible pain that every movement felt like being stabbed with a large knife.  I have had several surgeries in the past, but never pain like this.  I went to our hospital clinic and recieved a steroid injection.  The doc gave me little hope of this reloving long term, and said surgery did not have a history of helping.  It took about 6 agonizing hours for the steroid to kick in, and I can find some less painful positions, although I still have no range of motion at all and cannot functionally move my arm.  I was afraid to go on line and research this, but did anyway.  I now see that this excruciating phase may indeed be the "resorption phase" that is described in literature.  I am crossing my fingers that my body may have the capacity to heal this.  I still have an MRI scheduled and will follow up with my ortho doc.  Other than Manna, has anyone else gone through this phase and then had the calcification "disappear" afterwards?  I would especially like to hear from anyone who has gone through this and was "better" on the other side.  I suspect that the more active we are, the better our chances, but would like to hear any situations you have experienced.   Thanks, Rick
My symptoms sound a lot like yours.  Can't lie down to sleep, so I sleep sitting up on the couch.  Just had first cortisone shot yesterday and the Dr. is hopeful I will be better by this weekend, but I'm skeptical.  I still have a lot of pain and little mobility.  Can't lift my arm at all to he front or the side.  I hope this calcium is being reabsorbed and that the pain subsides soon and mobility is restored.  I'm glad there are others out there who understand.

Cherri
Hey Rickgoose, in my case the most excruciating phase didn't seem to do the trick as far as the self-absorbtion process is concerned. I mean - as I also read somewhere that "when it hurts the most it's actually for good" I wanted to believe it so much! The x-ray I took when the worst pain was gone seemed to have proved the thesis. Alas, weeks go by and my arm hasn't really improved in the movement department. I am a patient person, I tell myself "time will heal any wound" and stuff like that, but believe me - things ain't gettin any better. If anything, they get worse. Only two days ago I was woken up in the middle of the night, with that wretched pain again. Didn't last longer than two hours, but still. As for the amount of knowledge about this condition among doctors - it's close to zero. Most of what I already know comes from the Internet and people like you and me (suffering from some "imaginary disease", as most doctors would like to believe). Kinda depressing, isn't it?
I've just recovered from mine. I live in thailand. The timeline is something like this:
1. feel niggle in my left shoulder for a couple of years or more, easy to live with. I now believe this was the build up of calcium. Play golf and pool regularly
2. lift a load of heavy slabs during some gardening work the other day. I now believe this triggered the upcoming pain by doing something to the tendon
3. two mornings later wake up with a pain on the bone at the top of my arm where it meets the shoulder, it progressively got worse, but that day we were driving out to the mountains for a long weekend. In the evening i now felt like i was a cripple with my left arm! I then had two agonising nights' sleep.
4. not so bad on the third night after getting some painkillers locally, then drove back home on four days after getting the pains. This day and the next too busy to get it seen to. Then had it seen to at the hospital, misdiagnosed as a problem with the deltoid muscle
5. ten days after first getting the pain, i finally went to a proper orthopedic doctor at his clinic. He diagnosed with with CT, and gave me a cortisone injection which had me climbing the wall. It took about two minutes and was excruciating! He told me i'd be much better the next morning.
6. I was! Pain gone, much more movement in the arm
7. there followed in the next seven days four sessions of ultrasound and physical therapy, and i did some exercises at home. I could feel it get even better with each session, and by the third i had complete movement back.
8. the doctor declared me fully recovered two nights ago, which i knew anyway. I now have to do shoulder exercises over the next two weeks to build up my muscles
9. after reading all these posts above, i wonder if i'm going to wake up soon with a reoccurrence!
10. total cost just over 3000 baht, which is just over 100 US dollars

I'd like to post again by giving my conclusions and summary...
I'm confused why so many have simply not recovered, after my treatment and experiences. Having read this forum after getting back from my injection. My understanding is that i had the cortisone injection (he told me it was only a small amount) which dissolved the calcium crystals that had built up in my tendon. They then left my body through my urine.

The first and second ultrasound sessions really helped complete the process of recovery. He gave me anti-inflamm, muscle relaxant, and painkiller pills. I took them for the first two nights, but never needed them after that.

Just a week after the initial injection, i feel like i have a brand new shoulder, without the almost constant niggle i've had for what seems like a couple of years at least.

The doctor told me that the cause was degeneration, entirely normal in people over 40. I'm 47.

I must add that for three years i've been researching diet, and eating very well, and had cut down quite a lot on my alcohol consumption. I believe nevertheless that the build up was either due to the beers i did have, or the chemicals that are known to be added to thai beers. I think the build up was over quite some time. It then got triggered, probably from my gardening work.

I think diet has a lot to do with healing time. I also think that drinking enough quality water is important too. I mention this because of the almost zero recoveries posted on this thread!

Hello, chiangmaiman :) Glad to hear someone's feelin' better. However.... I don't think a cortisone injection actually dissolves calcium deposits. You will find several posts here in which people confess that such injections helped them to get rid of pain, but the pain was back after a few weeks' time. According to Wikipedia "cortisone suppresses the immune system, thus reducing inflammation and attendant pain and swelling at the site of the injury", so it rather deals with the symptoms, not the problem itself. I hope the treatment you went under will work for you and there will be no reoccurence, though :) Would you be so kind and tell me what kind of excercise was recommended to you for making your shoulder better? I'm desperate to try anything before I decide to go under the surgeon's knife and I will do any kind of physical excercise even thru pain and misery.
Hello manna
Yes, i'm hoping that this does not happen to me! I"m also aware that it is not good to have more than a couple of these injections, and clearly if the problem resurfaces, i shall have to try and find other options.
The orthopedic doctor, who i know to be pretty good at his work and comes well recommended in the town i live in, explained to me that my problem was common in over 40s, was down to 'degeneration', but could not give me any other cause. I didn't expect him to be able to, i don't find western medicine very good at all over causes of medical problems.

But he also told me when i saw him a week later, when all felt good, that the injection dissolved (I think this was his choice of word) the calcium deposits so that they were then taken through my bloodstream and out of my body through my urine. He talked as if CT was a common problem he's had to deal with in the past.

But my feeling better only began with the injection. My first and second ultrasound treatment, one and three days later restored progressively more movement. By the third one, i had full movement back, and zero pain. After the ultrasound, the physical therapist gave me a range of stretching movements with my shoulder and arm, initially up and down vertically, and up behind my back. She was careful not to make my arm go outwards away from the body. That came on the third session, by which time she had weights in my hands too. It would be about 15 minutes of ultrasound, and about 10 minutes of exercises.

Now that i am finished with them, she's told me to do two or three more weeks of daily exercises on my shoulder. I can't remember what they are, so i just do a range of them that makes my arm go in all directions from my shoulder. I do them twice a day, and with weights i went out to buy. Thus far - 10 days after my cortisone - i'm doing very well, and feel no pain whatsoever, just the odd slight tiredness in the muscle area which i'm rebuilding up with the exercises.

That summarises me so far! But i do have to wonder how long that cortisone might last in my system, if it is indeed masking a problem that has not gone away.

Now, i've some more comments to make, in general, but will start a new post...

... now, as you rightly mention, there are symptoms, and causes. He could not give me one except i was older than 40!

I have attended to my diet for three years now, in response to a back problem nobody could help me with, which was interfering with my sleep. With an xray telling me there was no physical problem, i did my own research. I've largely been in excellent health since through changing my diet. I also much reduced my beer consumption compared to previous years. But i never gave it up, and still had the odd cigarette too. I should add that i have been convinced that thai beers have lots of things added to them for preservative reasons.

I have a diet that is virtually as toxic-free as is possible in this day and age. Because of this, and knowing the problem is one of calcium deposits (they cannot suddenly appear), i believe the build-up of them has occurred for at least a year or two. I have had a bit of a niggle there for what seems like this much time.

Now, reading my books, i am taking what i call superfoods and stuff that is good for natural anti-inflammation, and so on. Let me mention a few, and you can ask me any more questions, or see what you can find out through your own research. I was taking them during my painful ten days, as well as since the injection. My point here is that i'm hoping a diet of good stuff, and maximum toxin-avoidance, helps me heal and stop reoccurrence. Because my understanding in health is that we must attend to the cause. I have not had any beer since this episode!!

I take a locally made green powder, which has equal parts of wheatgrass juice, spirulina, and jiaogulan tea.

More commonly available in western countries will be wheatgrass juice powder and barley grass powder; and spirulina. The latter is an algae, as is chlorella, possibly one of the finest supplements we can take, bearing in mind it these are all really live foods.

I take that every other day. On the other days i take two moringa capsules, which i know to give me extra vitality and energy in my life. I knew this from a couple of months ago when i first took them, and now i'm taking them again i feel the same reactions.

I also take two capsules of dried mangosteen every evening.

In addition, which i started a week before my problem occurred, i'm taking a teaspoon of sole every morning, which is based on himalayan salt.

Just started this week, when i remember, is a spoonful of flax oil. EFAs are definitely very good for inflammation.

I believe my diet in general provides me with enough of all the minerals and vitamins i need.

You should research prostaglandins, and the three types. Also the need to avoid excessive arachidonic acid. These things help explain inflammation, pain, and degenerative illnesses/diseases. One clear path towards this is avoiding animal-based foods, especially with CT!

One other thing to say for now: cereal grasses (the wheat and barley i mentioned) contain something called P4D1 which has 'exceptional anti-inflammatory properties, even more powerful than those of steroids such as cortisone'.

Source is Healing With Whole Foods by Paul Pitchford, my number one reference book for all matters on health. But i increasingly read about prostaglandins elsewhere.

Hope some of this will be of hope, please do let me know how you get on. I'm trying to learn all the time, but doctors are virtually of no use when it comes to causes of medical problems. Understanding how the body works  relating to the role of nutrients and toxins, is the root of all my research for the last three years. It's hard work, but if i don't get any reprisal of this CT, then perhaps some reward!

Does anyone know of a facility in the Seattle area that performs ultrasound-guided shoulder lavage (percutaneous therapy) to remove calcium deposits? The closest I can find is Inland Imaging in Spokane.
Hello, Chiangmaiman :)

First of all - how's your shoulder doing?
Second - well, it's never a bad idea to start watching what you eat. However... I've long ago lost any hope of being able to “eat healthily”. Seeing as we all live in this so called “modern world”, infested with chemicals, car fumes, antibiotics, syntetic hormones, food conservatives and what not, it's just a lost cause. Dunno what it's like in India, but whnever I go to buy my groceries I can see in my mind's eyes the history that stands behind each and every product. Fruit and vegetable grown in “sunny Spain” means more or less tomato speed-produced under artificial light and fed water with artificial fertilizer. Today's chicken breasts are bigger than a whole chicken used to be in the old days when it reached the ripe old age of two months (cause that's how long, or rather short, it takes today to produce ready to sell chicken breast). Good old healthy fish? Can't get any, unless you like the taste of fish who used to swim in the pool of antibiotics and growth hormones, being fed genetically modified corn, somewhere in China. Giant carrots, shiny apples which no self-respectin and life cherishing worm wouldn't even come close to, I won't dwell on the subject, enough to say I live in Poland, a country that could be called agricultural once, but now I am forced to eat potatoes that come all the way from Netherlands, for no good reason.
As for the doctors - you're perfectly right about them. It's not even about that they don't know what the problem with you is sometimes. It's normal, they're not gods. But what infuriates me the most is that despite not knowing, they will still treat you as if they did! They will try out every possible poison on you in the shameless pursuit of SOME results, whatever the consequence.

OK, I'll stop that tirade before the forum administrators ban me for going off-topic ;)

As for the calcific shoulder successful treatment - I'm still looking forward to hear from a survivor! Surely, there must be one?
Thought I would let you all know that I have now had my operation on 20 December 2011 which has gone extremely well.  My calcium was around 20mm and I had a significant amount of bursitis which the doctor needed to remove.  The surgeon also removed a small amount of bone to give me more room for flexibility.  The operation took around 2 hours and was a more complicated operation than my surgeon thought.

They applied a lot of anaesthetic in the operation and pain inhibitors during and after the operation which the surgeon believes are still working as I am not in a considerable amount of pain.  In fact I am back at work today with only a minimal amount of discomfort.  The surgeon also gave me a couple of cortisone injections which we believe are warding off most of the pain.  My surgeon told me that the pain may come back after all of these pain killers wear off, but I am extremely happy with the whole procedure.  It is much nicer to get over an operation and have your body heal with minimal pain than deal with the post op discomfort along with pain.

So, for me at this stage, I would encourage anyone that has been putting off surgery like I did for 7-8 years, it is not so scary so consider the operation as an option.

I'll keep you all posted if anything changes!
    I have been diagnosed with calcific tendonitis for the past 2 years, I had a ASD plus calcium removal back in Jan 2011, since then the calcium has built up again and I am having further surgery (Calcium Exersion) this Feb.
I would like to know if anyone has had 2 or more operations for this condition?, my surgeon has told me that I will have complete recovery with full use of the shoulder?
After all this time and pain I car nt see when it will end, or if the calcium will return again as before.
I have had discomfit in my left shoulder for about four years before it was diagnosed as calcific tendinitis in early December. I personally believe the damage was initially done in the gym by being asked to lift weights that were far too heavy too soon and before my muscles were strong enough to take the strain of the weight. It was at this time that my shoulder first gave any indication of trouble. Initially it would click when lifting weights over my head or out to the side but was only painful when doing weights that were lifted behind the shoulder above the head. Unfortunately I was told to persist even though it was painful as this would strengthen the shoulder. Obviously this was crap advice and I will never ignore the better advice my body was giving me again.. If it hurts and it's not muscular... Stop! Anyway I had the needling done and it was too hard to break up. The doctor said he could only perforate it repeatedly and hope it would encourage it to break up and dissolve itself. The cortisone injection was injected into my bursa rather than the tendon as the doctor believes injecting into the tendon has too high of a risk of future tendon weakness and therefore damage. The injection gave me six weeks of freedom from the pain but three weeks ago it returned and is no better than before the needling. My father has had this calcification in both shoulders. The first time he had the keyhole surgery to remove it. The actual surgery was apparently not too bad but once the painkillers wore off it was very painful for a few days and he said he wished he had made more of an effort to do the post op exercises as his shoulder joint is not as flexible as it could be. He has had no further pain however and has almost full movement in it. The right shoulder he has had needling only and like my own it was a hard deposit and could not be dissolved. The pain relief lasted only four weeks for him after the needling. I will be giving it a short while before requesting the deposit be checked to see if it is resolving and if not I will be opting for e surgery as I know it certainly did fix my fathers shoulder. The only down sides are the long recovery time, the fact that it is a more painful procedure and if you don't do the exercises you will possibly have reduced movement. I can definitely live with all that if I can sleep on my left side without pain again.
I had the ultrasound-guided needling / lavage / percutaneous therapy done 3 days ago. The radiologist who did it said I had a huge calcium deposit, the largest he'd seen. Mine wasn't a hard deposit, it was the toothpaste-consistency calcium. He was able to remove 95% of it and said the other 5% probably will reabsorb because of all the stimulation. I expected to be very sore for days, since he had to work so hard to remove the large deposit (plunging the syringe up and down). It wasn't painful at all, and was most sore the next morning but not unbearable. He wrote an Rx but I didn't even use it; ibuprofen did the trick. This morning almost all the soreness was gone, but after a day at work on the computer, the soreness from the procedure has flared up. I expect after a week any soreness from the procedure will be gone and I'll be able to tell if the pain from the deposit is all gone too.

For those of you not familiar with this procedure, I found this article that has a video of it: https://sites.google.com/site/shoulderlavage

The orthopedic specialist who diagnosed calcific tendonitis said I wasn't a surgery candidate because an MRI showed no rotator cuff damage, so my only option was cortisone injections. After I read about nasty side effects, I was hesitant and found this procedure mentioned in this forum. There's no one is Seattle who does it, and he wouldn't refer me to the facility in Spokane because his group was "full service and doesn't make referrals." I faxed my research and request to my OB/GYN and she gave me the referral the radiology group needed! I had to travel about 300 miles to have it done, so I'm hoping it will last. I'll post again in a week or two to let everyone know.

It's routine to inject cortisone into the bursa after the needling/lavage, but I was so wary of cortisone side effects, I asked him to only inject half the dose of cortisone he normally would use. I think I may have had some fleeting, very minor side effects (a couple hours of insomnia/hyperactivity and flushed face), so I can see how a full dose might cause high anxiety.

At the worse point of calcific tendonitis, it was excruciating for me to use a computer mouse. Just the little aggravation of reaching and pushing was painful. I since made ergonomic adjustments (trackball, desk height), and they helped even before the procedure.

I'm sorry to hear the needling didn't work on your hard deposit, isis448. My radiologist said they often have success with hard deposits too -- that it will break it up enough for the body to reabsorb. Better luck on the next one.
Sorry I didn't read this until now. It's like 8 months later so I'm not sure if this is even relevant anymore. The deep relief works temporarily, but in my opinion for this condition it can't penetrate deep enough, i.e. into the tendon which means it does relieve pain a bit for short periods, but I don't think it touches that kind of deep tissue inflammation. However, there are penetrating agents one can use, like DMSO, that pushes the ibuprofen deeper through the skin and into the connective tissues where it is more effective. You can also mix the deep relief with oral NSAIDS. I've only used DMSO twice, once with deep relief and once without. Despite the fact it's not FDA approved, and that is not my issue with DMSO, I think it does help, but since you can never be exactly sure what else it's puling into your body (it's a solvent after all!) and there isn't any research because it all got shut down in the 1970's, you have to ask yourself a few questions before taking that route. 1.) Do you trust yourself? And if so, how much, and are you willing to place that trust in your own hands and sacrifice your body if you make a mistake? 2.) Are you responsible enough to handle this substance, meaning do you know enough about chemistry to use it properly? and 3.) how much pain are you and and what have you tried to ameliorate this pain?

for example, in my case, I am a scientist with a chemistry background. I trust myself, I understand how DMSO works, but of course not super extensively (i.e. I haven't worked with it in a lab for years experimenting with it or anything although I try to read as any peer reviewed journals as I can). I've tried basically everything else and I'm in a fair amount of pain. Not to the point where I need oxycontin or anything, but it burns and hurts all. day. long. In my case, I felt I had nothing to lose but lots to gain.

I can't say whether or not it works, but the second time I did have almost two pain free days. I'm going to keep at it and I'll repost in a few weeks to let everyone know if looks promising.
I have calcific tendonitis in both shoulders.

I have had pain on and off for several years, but the past year and a half it has been more painful, painful to move, painful to strech painful to sleep on, painful to lean on, and even painful to keep in the same position for more than a couple of minutes

I saw a doctor 10 months ago. she told me to rotate my shoulder forwards 10 times and backwards 10 times each.
6 months ago i saw a differnt doctor, he said it was probably just inflamation (inflammation), but he was going to send me to an orthapedic specialist.
the orthapedic specialist sent me for a ultra sound on my shoulders.... calcific tendonitis in both.

Tomorrow i get a cortisone injection, which is a potentially hazardas waste of time, as it MAY reduce swelling temporarely, and cause much more pain and trouble than it's worth, whilst also leaving the lumps of bone floating in my shoulder to wear down the other bones in my shoulder that i actually NEED. i'm skeptical to say the least.

I am 23! i don't drink, i am vegetarian, and i avoid over-taxing excersise. there is absolutely no reason for me to have this.

I have been told that if this first injection doesn't work (from what i've read i'm not hopeful), they will remove the calcium deposited with surgery.

I read that someone on here also found their hip-pain was calcium deposits too, that makes me wonder if my hip-pain might be calcium. it would make sence. i don't know may 23 year olds unlucky enough to have 2 troublesome shoulders and hip.

It does make me feel so down sometimes. most people get to thir 40s without health trouble. it started before i was even 20.
:-(
i am also suffering from calcific tendonitis. i spent many months with sleepless nights affecting mostly movements above the shoulder and any stretching like reaching out to pick up somehing from the rear seat of my car. I have done a lot of weight training but do not believe this is the cause.

3 months ago i had a cortisone injection and have been fantastic painless and just beginning to feel a tinge on my shoulder again, I must admit i have started  training again at a slower pace, I have a review in two days time and think i will finish having surgery. I can also feel symptoms on my right shoulder ad am dreading this.

I was wondering if i will be able to train again as i always have done,
Three weeks ago I had a shoulder lavage (see my post of January 31, 2012 above). A week later I vacuumed the whole house without any pain for the first time in months or maybe years. The deposit was in my right shoulder and I'm right-handed, so although I tried to do things (like vacuuming) with my other arm, it wasn't natural. It feels good now to wake in the morning and fully extend both my arms over my head to stretch too.

If anyone in the Pacific Northwest is considering this, I'd recommend Inland Imaging in Spokane by Dr Kirsch, http://www.****.com/locations . You can call the main # on their web site and ask for Special Procedures Scheduling. They were excellent in helping me get what I needed: a referral/order and copies transferred of my records, x-ray, MRI. You will need a referral. The doctors who perform the procedure are radiologists. Dr Kirsch mentioned he has an orthopedic specialist friend/colleague in Seattle who refers patients to him for the lavage because no radiologists in Seattle do it. I had to travel 300 miles to get the shoulder lavage done because no one in the Seattle area does it. It as well worth the price of the flight over and back.

If your doctor is suggesting surgery, perhaps you also have rotator cuff damage evidenced by an MRI. I didn't have any rotator cuff damage, just a huge calcium deposit that was very painful at times. If you have rotator cuff damage, the lavage treatment may not be right for you.

My orthopedic specialist (rated one of Seattle "top doctors") wasn't at all open to the shoulder lavage, because his group was "full service." Ha!
The web site that was truncated in my post above is for Inland Imaging in Spokane.You can Google it!
I have had calcific tendonitous for approx 8 years now. I was passed from one hospital to another being mis-diagnosed and told the pain was in my head even though it could be seen on scans and x-rays. I finally had a good understanding consultant who sent me for surgery. This was carried out end of november 2011. The pain since the surgery has doubled (didnt think that could be possible), I went back and had x-rays end of Feb 12 and was told it had grown back in this short period of time. On the x-rays it looked like bone, it is that big. I was on the waiting list to have my other shoulder done but they have put that on hold as they need to re-operate on the first shoulder. Has anyone had the calcium re-occur after the operation? I am told it is very un-common and just un-lucky. Anyone help?
I suffered for years with occasional flair ups of calcific tendonitis.  I've had it in my shoulders, hips and wrist. It's excruciating!  Doctors couldn't tell me what it was but searching the internet I diagnosed it myself (xrays always showed calcium deposits).  BUT I figured out the answer! You need to supplement your diet with Magnesium, vitamin D and vitiamin B6.  These are all needed for your body to absorb calcium so that it is not stored in your tissues.  Since I have been taking these (about 5 years now) I have not had a single flair up!  I take the powdered magnesium (about a teaspoon a day, dissolved in a little hot water and then mixed with juice) - the powdered kind works better.  Magnesium can cause loose stools so you have to adjust how much you take gradually but take it consistently and I'm sure you will get results.  Marilyn
Michelleed you sound as though you are going through the same sort of thing as me.  I had my operation on 21 December 2011 and have just seen the surgeon again last week.  The x-rays have shown up that he didn't get 25% of the calcium deposit which originally was around 19-20mm diameter, although now I wonder has it grown back in that time?  I didn't have any pain for around one month as the anaesthetist apparently gave me several large pain blocks.  Unfortunately after this period the pain came back and has travelled down my arm and creates pain in my fingertips.  I am now off to have an MRI on my spine to see if it could be arthritis.  Last Thursday I had a double cortisone injection which seems to have taken a lot of the pain away, although I doubt it will last for too long as this is my 4th injection over 9 years and all either haven't worked or didn't work for too long.  There is one thing that keeps my spirits up though, my doctor did say that it was going to be a 12 month recuperation period with a lot of pain during this period.
To mk737 -- what kind of magnesium powder do you take: magnesium oxide, magnesium ascorbate, magnesium malate, magnesium carbonate, magnesium sulfate, or magnesium citrate? I went to online to shop for magnesium powder and was confused by all the choices!
Hi, I was diagnosed (X-ray) with CT 2 weeks ago after waking up one morning with pain that built into agony and I ended up in a&e. This was the acute stage which nothing seemed to touch - codine oramorph- nothing worked. I really feel for anyone who gets this! I found this forum really helpful so wanted to share my experience. I have since had a steroid shot which has helped but other things I have tried include using ice packs when my arm felt hot to touch and KT tape (kinesio Tape precut for the shoulder) which you need someone to apply for you. This really helped - about 6 hours after application it felt different and it made a big difference bringing relief and better mobility. I previously couldn't lift my arm at all. The tape reduces inflammation by simulating your muscle and lifting the skin enough to allow the lymphs, which are compressed by the inflammation and therefore not doing their job properly, to be able to function and drain the inflammation away. Not sure if anyone else has tried this but thought it worth mentioning as it is helping me. Lots of athletes swear by it for pain relief and faster healing. Re the post made on supplementation - magnesium vit D & vit B6 with no recurrence for over 5 years. When I started researching what magnesium does and the other vitamins it all makes a lot of sense so thank you. I have started supplementing my diet. I think I can piece it together to be convinced enough to give it a go - I experienced a lot of stress 2 years ago,  my muscles in my shoulder have been tight for around 2 years, tight muscles deplete your magnesium, I'm veggie so at risk of magnesium defficiency anyway, magnesium is needed for calcium absorbtion, ive then strained the rotor cuff in some way and my body has worked to strengthen itself and this is the result -calcium deposit. I've used metabolics and bought ionic magnesium xs in liquid format. This was the company used by a kinesiologist I vitited about a year and a half ago who told me to take magnesium suppliments after a consultation since I was feeling emotional stressed, anxious and tired (shame I only did it for 3months and stopped because I felt better!). They also sell a powder form. I am going to have the needling procedure in 2 weeks time. I'll post on the outcome. Hope this helps someone in some way.
Hi MK,
I have my 2nd operation in 2 weeks time for my left shoulder. I have also been diagnosed as being Vitimin D deficient and have been given ClaciChews for this. (Being Vegi i thought may have caused this).
Could you give me the name of the magnesium tablets you are taking? Is it a specific type i should be looking to purchase? And the B6 are jthey just the normal ones bought over the counter?
Appreciate your advice, willing to try anything.
Hi I have the same problem.  A year ago I woke up and couldn't move my arm at all.  The pain was a 20 on the scale from 1-10    The hospital took an xray which showed a calcium deposit on my shoulder and they referred me to an orthopedic.  They said i had frozen shoulder and gave me a shot.  That helped but my pain came back, not as bad tho.  I went to my chiropractor which adjusted me and helped.  Now it came back last week.  I got adjusted again but it didn't help.  I'm a dental asst and use my right arm all day.  I get sharp pain in my shoulder and down to my elbow.  The more I use it the more it hurts.  I have an appt with a different orthopedic (my other one retired)  I don't know what the out come will be but, I was a dental asst for 22 yrs.  and  I love it!   Do you think I need surgery?
     Have you been icing down at least a few times a day? In combination with your steroid injection are you taking Ibuprofen? Can you lift your hand straight up over your head?
     I have had CT in both shoulders for years. I had my first acute attack in 2003 in my left shoulder. I other three were more of a sore shoulder rather than an inability to move my arm an inch like in 2003. Steroid injections have always worked in the past to full resolution. I got a sore right shoulder about five weeks ago and I got a shot about two weeks ago. Most of the inflammation is gone but not all. I ice down with a freezing mat for the back a few times a day for a good 30-60 minutes. I do it on my way to work, on my way home from work and later in the evening. I decided to add Ibuprofen 1200mg a day to add to the work being done by the injection two weeks ago. My CT deposit in my right shoulder is 5 centimeters long. My current ortho that is excellent does not do anything but injections for this defect. I am scheduled to see another ortho that is also a pain management specialist to get a second opinion. A referral from a doctor that I trust. If I were to choose to do a needle and lavage I would do it in outpatient with sedation. My regular ortho says it can be very painful and that is why he does not do them especially when one is in the reabsorption phase. I could see how one could handle that treatment in the resting phase since there is no inflammation in the tissue. Remember that inflamed tissue is hard to anesthetise. I have always found that it can take well over a month after an injection to get results. It would be a good idea for one to journal this experience to reflect back on since it can be a life long experience. Also collect your xrays. You will want them later on to see how the deposit is changing. Doctors only keep xrays 7 years.
I have Calcific Tendonitis of the Shoulder And I am having surgery.
My doctor told me he could not dothe surgery without an MRI.
I could not have one after finding out I have a small metal fragment very close to y eye and can case blindness if it moved during the MRI so they would not perform it.
He then tells me he can do the surgery anyway???
Whats up with that, why dd he say I had to have an MRI wh he can do it ithot???
Anyone know this answer????
Thanks,
Joe
I just had the same procedure done on both of my shoulders. I woke up today and can't even brush my hair or load the dishwasher. Can you tell me how long it took for your shoulder to recover? The doctor who did mine (at Mass General) told me it would realllllly hurt but didn't tell me for how long. Silly me. I was so excited to get this "fixed" after years of chronic pain that i forgot about the recovery phase (like most americans at this point i suppose-humor).  You posted this in 2011 so i am assuming by now it is painfree? Thanks.
Josie
How are you doing with your shoulder today ?  
I just had the lavage done yesterday, with 1/2 dose of steroid afterword, to prevent bursitis issues that could flare up.  Arm very sore all day today, more restricted in movement than before I went in, but I expected that.
Alan
alancharles264 -- My shoulder felt great after the lavage in late January (after a couple days of soreness from the needles). . . for about 2 or 3 weeks. Then the pain started creeping back. About June the pain was so bad I relented and got a cortisone shot. Felt great for a couple months, and the pain is creeping back again. Not so much as before (yet). The orthopedic surgeon was amazed at how well the lavage removed the calcium deposit. Because I'm having pain again, however, there may be damage from the deposit that might require surgery.

I may have felt so good after the lavage because of the cortisone injected at the end of the lavage. I felt some cortisone side effects after the post-lavage injection, but no cortisone side effects with the June injection.

Good luck!
How are you feeling today?  I had by surgery last Wednesday and it's been awful.  I was exactly the same as you - so excited to finally be out of pain as it has been 6-7 years worth of pain.  I had no idea it would be this bad,  I have not been sleeping and don't know when I'll be able to go back to work.  I'm looking for some good news on about how long it should take to at least be able to sleep at night.  I have my stitches removed on Thursday and plan to talk to the Dr. then.  Are you able to move your shoulder now?  Out of pain?
I have a 2 1/2 cm diameter , 4cm long calification on the upper rotator cuff.  I have been in severe pain for two months, but feeling a little better now, although it still hurts all the time. I have had limited movement like many of the previous posts describe for the last two years.   I am going to have anthroscopic surgery in about 6 months.  I have been seeing a physiotherapist for four years.  My surgeon said that physio has been very helpful for me because I actually have amazing range of motion based on the MRI pictures.  I want to pour coffee with my right hand again!!!
I started having throbbing pain that would radiate down my left arm and flare up in the bicep and triceps area and it felt like it was in the bone.  It would come and go but then my shoulder and arm began to hurt so bad that I couldn't find any relief.  I would move my arm a quarter inch and think I found the magic spot only to have the pain return a few seconds later.  I had to sleep in a recliner and would get a half hour here and there all night.  When I tried to lie down in bed the pain was unbelieveable.  I "slept" in the recliner for 3-weeks.  When I went to the ortho-doc, he took x-rays and showed me a white donut at the top of my shoulder.  I thought it was bone or connective tissue that was supposed to be there.  He told me that it was all calcium.  He gave me a cortisone injection which started to work about a week later and has lasted almost 2 months.  In the past few days I have begun to experience the radiating pain in my arm again along with some pain starting in the other shoulder.  I have also been noticing pain between each shoulder blade and clavical.  Not sure if this means my calcium deposits are back and spreading to both sides and upper back.  Not sure what is happening.  Has anyone had calcific tendonitis start in one shoulder and have it come back like this in a few months--but now in both shoulders and upper back?
My calcific tendonitis stopped hurting just ask quickly as it started. Last Thursday I could wash my hair, lift my arm or put my seatbelt on. Almost a week later I feel like I can be apart of a softball game. I do have an MRI scheduled for Friday, but since I feel so great I was thinking of cancelling...any thoughts
I have 2 tears and calcific tendonitis in my right shoulder. I whacked my wrist in december and since then the pain has slowly gone back up to my shoulder. Did your doc say the shoulder calcification's made the pain radiate down to your forearm as well? I saw my doc yesterday and they just did xrays of shoulder and since the last cortisone shot in August he said it looked better yet i can barely sleep at night the pain is soo bad.
I have 2 tears and calcific tendonitis in my right shoulder. I whacked my wrist in december and since then the pain has slowly gone back up to my shoulder. Could my shoulder calcification's make the pain radiate down to my forearm as well? I saw my doc yesterday and they just did xrays of shoulder and since the last cortisone shot in August he said it looked better yet i can barely sleep at night the pain is soo bad.
OMG let me tell you that the pain your expiermenting is real, I too have this I'm having surgery in a week, this pain is unbearable I too at night is the worse can't sleep because my shoulder relaxes and the pain is horrible rolling to the side is painful and getting up. Hope this helps that your   alone. Sophie
Is there anyone who has succeeded in treating calcific tendonitis with non surgical options. My stones are way too big and I am looking for a referral
Greetings, I have closely watched this thread ever since I am suffering from this problem of Calcific tendinitis. It has been increasingly affecting my life. My stones seem big like 21mm and 22mm on each shoulders. I did one ultrasound with a seattle top sports med specialist. He already declared this will be done on experimental basis for me and of course was not successful. I saw Josie and Trailgord's referal to Inland Imaging. I am planning to give it a shot.

Meantime, if you have few mins, I have other questions ::
1)Is there any other specialist in SEA and east side who can help in ultrasound lavage ? - alancharles - Did you also get it done through inland imaging ? I have a small kid and just want to try getting it done within SEA and not travel long distance. But I would take as far I can to get this resolved.
2)In case of no success with ultrasound, have you tried anything else like shock wave therapy ? any referrals if so ?
3)Any one tried multiple ultrasounds  and successful ?
4)If nothing works, anyone did surgery ? referrals ?
5)Is there any positive hope at all.

Will really appreciate if I do see some replies.
thanks much
vidhya ~ I won't go over all the details already covered above. I re-read my posts and see I was having a little pain last October. I'm glad I have a record here, because I actually couldn't remember the last time it bothered me. It feels so good now, a couple weeks ago I was thinking I might try water-skiing again. Before, the thought of saying "hit it!" and being jerked up made me cringe.
1) I couldn't find anyone on the west side of WA state who does this lavage procedure; that's why I went to Spokane. It's been 18 months, so perhaps there are radiology groups in the Seattle are who do it now. Look for an ultrasound radiologist. You might call Inland Imaging to ask if they know anyone in Seattle. They were SO very helpful.
If you read all my posts, you can see I did have some pain recur after my lavage and had a cortisone injection about 6 months later, and even had some pain after that -- but I've been pain free and mostly good as new for at least 6 months now.
Good Luck!
Appreciate your reply. Thank you very much Josie
I've had calcified tendinitis since feb 2012, I had injections of which the first time worked and after 5 weeks movement came back.. Over that year I had another injection as my arm started to ache again, however surgery was cancelled as it was no where near as painful and I really wanted to avoid surgery. I had another in may 2013 which worked but I found over the last two weeks pain coming back, I had an ultra sound in June which showed that the calcium had broke up. Last night I woke at 2:30 crying with pain, I'm back to no movement and chronic pain.painkillers have done nothing, I'm so upset. I'm back at the hospital in two weeks for a check up and this time I will have to have the op... I can't go through this pain until then however I've had three jabs in 18mths,, how can I ease this pain, I'm a 41 woman with a young child in the summer holidays and I can even go to the loo on my own today.. In complete agony... How did we get this calcium build up?
Has your condition improved? From your posts you sounded as if you had done some research and were going to get answers.
I am in the midst of my second flare up with calcified tendinitis of my left shoulder; the first being in march. It is excruciating and my orthopaedic doctor is so booked I cannot be seen for another 8 days. I would push bring seen sooner, but I'm not really sure what good it will do seeing him.
I would love to here any treatments that you have found successful.  Marie
Has anyone tried cimetidine for treatment of shoulder calcium deposits?  There is a small study done in 2003 by Yokoyama, et al that found significant improvement in a group of 16 patients.  Cimetidine is Tagamet, usually prescribed for ulcers.
I have had calcium tendernitus for 9 years now, it continues to get worse each each year. Sometimes the pain is so bad I can't move my arm. I am 29, so have had this pain since I was 20.  I go to Phisio, though it has not helped, I have had cortisone injections, 9 to be exact!! Doctors and surgeons recommend I do another 4 months of Phisio before I try surgery, as I am too young apparently, and surgery may not work or could even make it worse. I'm tired, and upset the pain prevents me from doing so much. It's hard to explain to people, people don't understand this condition and how severe the pain really is. I still work .... And just live day by day putting up with the pain.
Please especially see my Jul 19, 2013 post as well as the previous ones. If you can find an ultrasound radiologist who does the lavage procedure (flushing out the calcium), I'd strongly recommend checking into that option. I've been pain-free all of 2013.
I have calcific tendonitis and the last xray said it was a large 2 cm clump in my left shoulder-rotator cuff area (supraspinitis).  I recently had shockwave treatments to get rid of it.  I think it was improperly done as they did 3 treatments in 7 days....... I wound up losing the use of my arm as a result of the treatment until they said I could start to use anti-inflammatories again..... within 3 days I could move my arm again..... still not as good as before shockwave but almost back to 70%.  I am in a lot of pain even now with the use of approximately 880 mg of naproxen daily.  I am trying to stay away from other pain meds as I have a child and they make me feel to high.  Can anyone offer any advice..... my recent trip to the surgeon yesterday to check my options.... he treated me like a child and sent me home to do stretching and take pills..... what a rude man..... Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks, Pat
I was diagnosed with CT Oct, 2013. 50 yr old female, most pain I’ve ever experienced –level 8/9.  Had been doing some serious yard work/raking/painting for a few weeks – woke up one morning and could barely raise my arm and had a good deal of pain.  Tried a massage/chiropractor – he did electro-stim for 2 days.   By day 3, I couldn’t lift it and the pain was excrutiating.  Saw my MD, she suggested seeing a physical therapist who tried ultrasound and electro-stim and gave me a few movement exercises to do.   Didn’t really help due to the severe inflammation.  Was doing ibuprofin and ice several times a day.  Met with an orthopedic surgeon for a steroid injection which helped slightly.  xrays showed the largest calcium deposit he’s ever seen – 1 cm x 3-4 cm long.  Had an mri to make sure there wasn’t any tendon damage, there wasn’t.  He said I will most likely need surgery with that much calcium.  He bumped up my ibuprofin to 4 tablets three times a day.  
Follow up 1 month later (6 wks since it started) – have some improvement in pain (level 2-5) and movement.  Still have some pain/discomfort daily – no improvement last few weeks.  Still not able to do things I love like walking my dogs, gardening.  Have decided to do the surgery in January.  The other 2 options would not work for me – needling/aspiration/lavage – he thought it would make it worse by spreading the calcium around due to the amount that I have.  He said extracorpeal  shock wave therapy is not recommended by any orthpedic surgeons.   Have been icing and doing exercises twice daily to keep it moving.  Discontinued ibuprofin after 1st 2 weeks due to fear of stomach ulcers.  Hot tub and ice help temporarily.  Able to sleep ok flat on back only.  When I inquired as to how I could avoid this in the future – I was told to avoid repetitious overhead activity, which puts a lot of stress on the shoulder.   Tendons naturally wear down with age.  Over doing any shoulder activity, not excersising the other muscle groups in porportion, can bring on CT.
I have done a lot of research since this occurred – most websites say the cause for CT is unknown, however, some physicians speculate on possible causes.  Some say activites such as:  strenous raking, gardening, painting, tennis, can cause the cellular changes which turn calcific.  This condition is mostly found in middle aged women and is fairly common in up to 10% of the population.  The calcium can possibly return even after surgery.   I am trying to accept that in the future I will now have to do my yard work/painting in smaller increments of time with much less physical excersion.  
I will post again after my surgery and give an update.  I have similar pain/movement issues in my left should as well, just not as severe, may eventually need it on that shoulder as well.   Arthroscopic debridement will take 3-6 months of recovery with intensive physical therapy.  There are possible complications – infection, frozen shoulder, tendon damage.  It is about 90% effective.  Out-patient procedure, sling for 2-3 days.  I am not looking forward to going backward to severe pain again – but it seems to be the only way I can get rid of this condition and move forward to recovery.
Thank you all for your posts – as they were comforting/encouraging when I was first going thru this ordeal.  This condition changes your quaility of life, it can be very depressing.  I am trying to stay positive but also dealing with the fact that I am getting older and cannot do the things I used to in the same manner.  I hope to be fully recovered 6 months following surgery.  I wish you all well.  
I just had the arthroscopic surgery for what you have 2 weeks today after 6yrs of suffering. Best thing to have done as the type of pain I have now is HEALING pain and not that excruciating pain I lived with for 6yrs!!!
I have been diagnosed with calcific tendonitis and tendon impingement.  It is incredibly painful.  I had the needling procedure approx. a year ago and it was fantastic...I could still feel a catch but it was totally manageable for around 5 months.  Went back yesterday after being in pain for the last few months and had needling again and cortisone but the doctor says I will almost certainly need surgery (done keyhole).  Does anyone have any good news re the surgery?  I suppose if you have your problem solved you are unlikely to come back to the forum but am hoping to hear some positive surgery stories??
great to hear can you tell me what it was like after surgery?  i.e how long before feeling good etc please
I was diagnosed in aug2012 after suffering unbelievable pain in my left shoulder which increased gradually over 5-6years. Could not lift it in any way. Couldn't sleep ever. Was a walking wreck, received steroid injection aug 2012 & this gave me instant relief which enabled me to enjoy my holiday. Pain returned with a vengeance in oct 2012 & after numerous x rays & an MRI my surgeon agreed to operate due to the size of the calcium deposit. I was in so much pain I agreed. It took a good 6 months to start healing, but healing pain I can cope with. After 12 months it was and has still been perfect. However now my right shoulder is starting to play up.
A separate medical issue revealed I have a very low blood calcium count and my doctor said the body counteracts that by pulling calcium from your bones to use, hence calcium deposits.
I am now on calcium supplements but wish this had been mentioned & checked when I had my first operation. For me the op worked wonders & if I have to go through it again on my right shoulder, I won't hesitate. I'm 44 yr old female