Shoulder pain from calcific tendonitis
Has anyone developed a calcific tendonitis in the shoulder?  If so, what have you been able to find that helps with the pain?  Has anyone had surgery or ultrasound for it and what were the results?  I have been having so much pain with this and have not been able to find any treatment for it.  I am scared to have the surgery as I hear it may not change things and I may just have to live with this pain as it is now chronic.  Any advice??
I just had the same procedure done on both of my shoulders. I woke up today and can't even brush my hair or load the dishwasher. Can you tell me how long it took for your shoulder to recover? The doctor who did mine (at Mass General) told me it would realllllly hurt but didn't tell me for how long. Silly me. I was so excited to get this "fixed" after years of chronic pain that i forgot about the recovery phase (like most americans at this point i suppose-humor).  You posted this in 2011 so i am assuming by now it is painfree? Thanks.
Josie
How are you doing with your shoulder today ?  
I just had the lavage done yesterday, with 1/2 dose of steroid afterword, to prevent bursitis issues that could flare up.  Arm very sore all day today, more restricted in movement than before I went in, but I expected that.
Alan
alancharles264 -- My shoulder felt great after the lavage in late January (after a couple days of soreness from the needles). . . for about 2 or 3 weeks. Then the pain started creeping back. About June the pain was so bad I relented and got a cortisone shot. Felt great for a couple months, and the pain is creeping back again. Not so much as before (yet). The orthopedic surgeon was amazed at how well the lavage removed the calcium deposit. Because I'm having pain again, however, there may be damage from the deposit that might require surgery.

I may have felt so good after the lavage because of the cortisone injected at the end of the lavage. I felt some cortisone side effects after the post-lavage injection, but no cortisone side effects with the June injection.

Good luck!
How are you feeling today?  I had by surgery last Wednesday and it's been awful.  I was exactly the same as you - so excited to finally be out of pain as it has been 6-7 years worth of pain.  I had no idea it would be this bad,  I have not been sleeping and don't know when I'll be able to go back to work.  I'm looking for some good news on about how long it should take to at least be able to sleep at night.  I have my stitches removed on Thursday and plan to talk to the Dr. then.  Are you able to move your shoulder now?  Out of pain?
I have a 2 1/2 cm diameter , 4cm long calification on the upper rotator cuff.  I have been in severe pain for two months, but feeling a little better now, although it still hurts all the time. I have had limited movement like many of the previous posts describe for the last two years.   I am going to have anthroscopic surgery in about 6 months.  I have been seeing a physiotherapist for four years.  My surgeon said that physio has been very helpful for me because I actually have amazing range of motion based on the MRI pictures.  I want to pour coffee with my right hand again!!!
I started having throbbing pain that would radiate down my left arm and flare up in the bicep and triceps area and it felt like it was in the bone.  It would come and go but then my shoulder and arm began to hurt so bad that I couldn't find any relief.  I would move my arm a quarter inch and think I found the magic spot only to have the pain return a few seconds later.  I had to sleep in a recliner and would get a half hour here and there all night.  When I tried to lie down in bed the pain was unbelieveable.  I "slept" in the recliner for 3-weeks.  When I went to the ortho-doc, he took x-rays and showed me a white donut at the top of my shoulder.  I thought it was bone or connective tissue that was supposed to be there.  He told me that it was all calcium.  He gave me a cortisone injection which started to work about a week later and has lasted almost 2 months.  In the past few days I have begun to experience the radiating pain in my arm again along with some pain starting in the other shoulder.  I have also been noticing pain between each shoulder blade and clavical.  Not sure if this means my calcium deposits are back and spreading to both sides and upper back.  Not sure what is happening.  Has anyone had calcific tendonitis start in one shoulder and have it come back like this in a few months--but now in both shoulders and upper back?
My calcific tendonitis stopped hurting just ask quickly as it started. Last Thursday I could wash my hair, lift my arm or put my seatbelt on. Almost a week later I feel like I can be apart of a softball game. I do have an MRI scheduled for Friday, but since I feel so great I was thinking of cancelling...any thoughts
I have 2 tears and calcific tendonitis in my right shoulder. I whacked my wrist in december and since then the pain has slowly gone back up to my shoulder. Did your doc say the shoulder calcification's made the pain radiate down to your forearm as well? I saw my doc yesterday and they just did xrays of shoulder and since the last cortisone shot in August he said it looked better yet i can barely sleep at night the pain is soo bad.
I have 2 tears and calcific tendonitis in my right shoulder. I whacked my wrist in december and since then the pain has slowly gone back up to my shoulder. Could my shoulder calcification's make the pain radiate down to my forearm as well? I saw my doc yesterday and they just did xrays of shoulder and since the last cortisone shot in August he said it looked better yet i can barely sleep at night the pain is soo bad.
OMG let me tell you that the pain your expiermenting is real, I too have this I'm having surgery in a week, this pain is unbearable I too at night is the worse can't sleep because my shoulder relaxes and the pain is horrible rolling to the side is painful and getting up. Hope this helps that your   alone. Sophie
Is there anyone who has succeeded in treating calcific tendonitis with non surgical options. My stones are way too big and I am looking for a referral
Greetings, I have closely watched this thread ever since I am suffering from this problem of Calcific tendinitis. It has been increasingly affecting my life. My stones seem big like 21mm and 22mm on each shoulders. I did one ultrasound with a seattle top sports med specialist. He already declared this will be done on experimental basis for me and of course was not successful. I saw Josie and Trailgord's referal to Inland Imaging. I am planning to give it a shot.

Meantime, if you have few mins, I have other questions ::
1)Is there any other specialist in SEA and east side who can help in ultrasound lavage ? - alancharles - Did you also get it done through inland imaging ? I have a small kid and just want to try getting it done within SEA and not travel long distance. But I would take as far I can to get this resolved.
2)In case of no success with ultrasound, have you tried anything else like shock wave therapy ? any referrals if so ?
3)Any one tried multiple ultrasounds  and successful ?
4)If nothing works, anyone did surgery ? referrals ?
5)Is there any positive hope at all.

Will really appreciate if I do see some replies.
thanks much
vidhya ~ I won't go over all the details already covered above. I re-read my posts and see I was having a little pain last October. I'm glad I have a record here, because I actually couldn't remember the last time it bothered me. It feels so good now, a couple weeks ago I was thinking I might try water-skiing again. Before, the thought of saying "hit it!" and being jerked up made me cringe.
1) I couldn't find anyone on the west side of WA state who does this lavage procedure; that's why I went to Spokane. It's been 18 months, so perhaps there are radiology groups in the Seattle are who do it now. Look for an ultrasound radiologist. You might call Inland Imaging to ask if they know anyone in Seattle. They were SO very helpful.
If you read all my posts, you can see I did have some pain recur after my lavage and had a cortisone injection about 6 months later, and even had some pain after that -- but I've been pain free and mostly good as new for at least 6 months now.
Good Luck!
Appreciate your reply. Thank you very much Josie
I've had calcified tendinitis since feb 2012, I had injections of which the first time worked and after 5 weeks movement came back.. Over that year I had another injection as my arm started to ache again, however surgery was cancelled as it was no where near as painful and I really wanted to avoid surgery. I had another in may 2013 which worked but I found over the last two weeks pain coming back, I had an ultra sound in June which showed that the calcium had broke up. Last night I woke at 2:30 crying with pain, I'm back to no movement and chronic pain.painkillers have done nothing, I'm so upset. I'm back at the hospital in two weeks for a check up and this time I will have to have the op... I can't go through this pain until then however I've had three jabs in 18mths,, how can I ease this pain, I'm a 41 woman with a young child in the summer holidays and I can even go to the loo on my own today.. In complete agony... How did we get this calcium build up?
Has your condition improved? From your posts you sounded as if you had done some research and were going to get answers.
I am in the midst of my second flare up with calcified tendinitis of my left shoulder; the first being in march. It is excruciating and my orthopaedic doctor is so booked I cannot be seen for another 8 days. I would push bring seen sooner, but I'm not really sure what good it will do seeing him.
I would love to here any treatments that you have found successful.  Marie
Has anyone tried cimetidine for treatment of shoulder calcium deposits?  There is a small study done in 2003 by Yokoyama, et al that found significant improvement in a group of 16 patients.  Cimetidine is Tagamet, usually prescribed for ulcers.
I have had calcium tendernitus for 9 years now, it continues to get worse each each year. Sometimes the pain is so bad I can't move my arm. I am 29, so have had this pain since I was 20.  I go to Phisio, though it has not helped, I have had cortisone injections, 9 to be exact!! Doctors and surgeons recommend I do another 4 months of Phisio before I try surgery, as I am too young apparently, and surgery may not work or could even make it worse. I'm tired, and upset the pain prevents me from doing so much. It's hard to explain to people, people don't understand this condition and how severe the pain really is. I still work .... And just live day by day putting up with the pain.
Please especially see my Jul 19, 2013 post as well as the previous ones. If you can find an ultrasound radiologist who does the lavage procedure (flushing out the calcium), I'd strongly recommend checking into that option. I've been pain-free all of 2013.
I have calcific tendonitis and the last xray said it was a large 2 cm clump in my left shoulder-rotator cuff area (supraspinitis).  I recently had shockwave treatments to get rid of it.  I think it was improperly done as they did 3 treatments in 7 days....... I wound up losing the use of my arm as a result of the treatment until they said I could start to use anti-inflammatories again..... within 3 days I could move my arm again..... still not as good as before shockwave but almost back to 70%.  I am in a lot of pain even now with the use of approximately 880 mg of naproxen daily.  I am trying to stay away from other pain meds as I have a child and they make me feel to high.  Can anyone offer any advice..... my recent trip to the surgeon yesterday to check my options.... he treated me like a child and sent me home to do stretching and take pills..... what a rude man..... Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks, Pat
I was diagnosed with CT Oct, 2013. 50 yr old female, most pain I’ve ever experienced –level 8/9.  Had been doing some serious yard work/raking/painting for a few weeks – woke up one morning and could barely raise my arm and had a good deal of pain.  Tried a massage/chiropractor – he did electro-stim for 2 days.   By day 3, I couldn’t lift it and the pain was excrutiating.  Saw my MD, she suggested seeing a physical therapist who tried ultrasound and electro-stim and gave me a few movement exercises to do.   Didn’t really help due to the severe inflammation.  Was doing ibuprofin and ice several times a day.  Met with an orthopedic surgeon for a steroid injection which helped slightly.  xrays showed the largest calcium deposit he’s ever seen – 1 cm x 3-4 cm long.  Had an mri to make sure there wasn’t any tendon damage, there wasn’t.  He said I will most likely need surgery with that much calcium.  He bumped up my ibuprofin to 4 tablets three times a day.  
Follow up 1 month later (6 wks since it started) – have some improvement in pain (level 2-5) and movement.  Still have some pain/discomfort daily – no improvement last few weeks.  Still not able to do things I love like walking my dogs, gardening.  Have decided to do the surgery in January.  The other 2 options would not work for me – needling/aspiration/lavage – he thought it would make it worse by spreading the calcium around due to the amount that I have.  He said extracorpeal  shock wave therapy is not recommended by any orthpedic surgeons.   Have been icing and doing exercises twice daily to keep it moving.  Discontinued ibuprofin after 1st 2 weeks due to fear of stomach ulcers.  Hot tub and ice help temporarily.  Able to sleep ok flat on back only.  When I inquired as to how I could avoid this in the future – I was told to avoid repetitious overhead activity, which puts a lot of stress on the shoulder.   Tendons naturally wear down with age.  Over doing any shoulder activity, not excersising the other muscle groups in porportion, can bring on CT.
I have done a lot of research since this occurred – most websites say the cause for CT is unknown, however, some physicians speculate on possible causes.  Some say activites such as:  strenous raking, gardening, painting, tennis, can cause the cellular changes which turn calcific.  This condition is mostly found in middle aged women and is fairly common in up to 10% of the population.  The calcium can possibly return even after surgery.   I am trying to accept that in the future I will now have to do my yard work/painting in smaller increments of time with much less physical excersion.  
I will post again after my surgery and give an update.  I have similar pain/movement issues in my left should as well, just not as severe, may eventually need it on that shoulder as well.   Arthroscopic debridement will take 3-6 months of recovery with intensive physical therapy.  There are possible complications – infection, frozen shoulder, tendon damage.  It is about 90% effective.  Out-patient procedure, sling for 2-3 days.  I am not looking forward to going backward to severe pain again – but it seems to be the only way I can get rid of this condition and move forward to recovery.
Thank you all for your posts – as they were comforting/encouraging when I was first going thru this ordeal.  This condition changes your quaility of life, it can be very depressing.  I am trying to stay positive but also dealing with the fact that I am getting older and cannot do the things I used to in the same manner.  I hope to be fully recovered 6 months following surgery.  I wish you all well.  
I just had the arthroscopic surgery for what you have 2 weeks today after 6yrs of suffering. Best thing to have done as the type of pain I have now is HEALING pain and not that excruciating pain I lived with for 6yrs!!!
I have been diagnosed with calcific tendonitis and tendon impingement.  It is incredibly painful.  I had the needling procedure approx. a year ago and it was fantastic...I could still feel a catch but it was totally manageable for around 5 months.  Went back yesterday after being in pain for the last few months and had needling again and cortisone but the doctor says I will almost certainly need surgery (done keyhole).  Does anyone have any good news re the surgery?  I suppose if you have your problem solved you are unlikely to come back to the forum but am hoping to hear some positive surgery stories??
great to hear can you tell me what it was like after surgery?  i.e how long before feeling good etc please
I was diagnosed in aug2012 after suffering unbelievable pain in my left shoulder which increased gradually over 5-6years. Could not lift it in any way. Couldn't sleep ever. Was a walking wreck, received steroid injection aug 2012 & this gave me instant relief which enabled me to enjoy my holiday. Pain returned with a vengeance in oct 2012 & after numerous x rays & an MRI my surgeon agreed to operate due to the size of the calcium deposit. I was in so much pain I agreed. It took a good 6 months to start healing, but healing pain I can cope with. After 12 months it was and has still been perfect. However now my right shoulder is starting to play up.
A separate medical issue revealed I have a very low blood calcium count and my doctor said the body counteracts that by pulling calcium from your bones to use, hence calcium deposits.
I am now on calcium supplements but wish this had been mentioned & checked when I had my first operation. For me the op worked wonders & if I have to go through it again on my right shoulder, I won't hesitate. I'm 44 yr old female
I had surgery Oct. 17th and am still having quite strong pain moving my arm / shoulder around.  I had bursitis, calcific tendonitis, and some bone removed (distal clavical excision).  I figured that the pain would be minimal by now.  What are your time frames of where you aren't having to take prescription pain medicine any longer?  
Ive had real bad pain in my right shoulder for the past 8 weeks , and recently had a month of work on the sick because of the pain . I have been for a ultrasound scan this morning and was told that I have quite abit of inflammation and swelling and also calcium deposits but he also said the problem was that it was near a particular part which I really didn't hear what he said ... I asked the radiologist what would happen next ,he sais once the results go back to my doctor , the doctor will most likely refer me to a orthopaedic surgeon .. I had a injection 4 weeks ago but it did nothing atall for the pain ...Does anyone no what the orthopaedic surgeon may suggest ..in the way of treatment ...
Hi there... I know this is an old post from approximately four years ago, but i too had a problem with calcific tendonitis after a car accident.  The accident was in Oct 2011 and I just had surgery in Dec 2014.  It has helped but I don't think I will ever be 100% what I was prior to accident.  I was curious if you had a lawyer after your accident and how that panned out. I am still trying to get my claim resolved after another car came into my lane and hit me head-on.  The at fault insurance company is claiming that the calcific tendonitis could not have been caused by the accident, which I do not believe as I had no symptoms prior to the accident. Just wondering if you had any information to provide in regards to that. On another note, I hope you and your son are doing better.  
This is so helpful. Thank you!!! I've been dealing with this for quite some time too. I had frozen shoulder in my left arm last year. As soon as I got that situated and feeling better. The right arm started up with same tinges. I just had my second shot in the left arm, no relief. Maybe a couple of days with no pain but essentially no relief. Not to mention, two rounds steroid pills. Do wants to do surgery, of course, he's an orthopedic surgeon. I've bee. Trying to do my own research with my doctors encouragement because I want to make sure surgery is a necessary option and not a quick payday. This blog spot is very helpful. I have an MRI tomorrow in prep for surgery.  Just wanted to see other real life patients with my same situation. Looks like we have been advised the same.  

Side note: my pain shoots from shoulder, bicep, collar bone, shoulder blade and even up my neck.
I wanted to share my experience with Ultrasound Guided needling for those who are considering this. Also hoping that some of you might be able to offer me some comfort by replying and sharing what their experience with this procedure and recovery was like.
I had first been diagnosed with calcific tendinitis in 2007. This manifested itself in the pain associated with a certain directional moves of my right shoulder (extending the right arm up and back was particularly painful and difficult), but I’ve been able to adjust the way I do things to adapt to this pain and go on. I’m a dancer and practice at least three times a week, and on the days I don’t dance, I exercise a lot: weight training, aerobics, tennis. My day job is not that physically demanding: meetings, presentations and sitting in front of a computer . The shoulder would flare up periodically, but I would just push through, go to a physical therapy for a couple of weeks, and then the pain would subside to a “normal” chronic level of pain and limited movement, and so the cycle continued. Seven years after onset, in October of 2014, the pain in my shoulder intensified all of sudden to the point that my shoulder, back and neck were all hurting even at rest, especially when sitting or laying down. The pain was even radiating into my neck, right ear and shooting into the right side of my head. I got another MRI done, which, again, revealed a progressive calcific tendonitis in the right supraspinatus tendon. My orthopedist wrote a prescription for an US guided needling and aspiration which could be performed in his office by a radiology specialist. I’ve done a lot of research and read everything I could find online about the procedure, including a lot of clinical studies, reports, I even watched several videos of the procedure. Based on what I learned and what my orthopedist told me, the pain during and after the procedure is supposed to be minimal to non-existent, no downtime, and I could go back to my regular activities, including dancing with heavy use of my arms and shoulders, right away. I was very comfortable with that and proceeded to make an appointment and getting the needling and aspiration done.
Unfortunately, my experience was not at all like that described by hundreds of other patients and physicians. A) It was painful during the procedure and B) It was extremely painful after the procedure. Today is day #5 after the needling was done, and the pain is exact the same as on day #1. I can hardly move my arm, cannot lift it at all, have a very difficult time dressing myself, and cannot sleep because of the pain. The pain I’m in now is 1000 times worse than the pain I experienced during the active calcium reabsorption phase which was supposedly the worst kind of pain associated with this condition. Now, my pain tolerance is pretty high. Just thought I would mention it, so you don’t think I’m whining for nothing. For example, I have never taken any painkiller in my life, despite going through injuries and surgeries for broken dislocated wrist, dental implant, or child birth. I hate downtime from anything. A couple of years ago I had my hysterectomy (laparoscopic) at 9 in the morning, and at 3pm that same day I went for a two mile run in the park. To compare, with this pain from the needling and aspiration, I’ve been taking 1800mg Motrin daily since the day of the procedure and I’m crying every time I make a slightest move with my right arm. I think something went terribly wrong with my procedure and I either have a nasty case of bursitis or an actual tear in the rotator calf. I attribute the problems at least partially to how my procedure was handled. 1) The doctor doing the procedure did not do a prior diagnostic to even tell me where, how many and how big my calcium deposits were. She just proceeded straight into inserting the needle into my shoulder. When she was there, she was “discovering” the deposits as she went and when she hit the big one and tried to break it up for a good 45 min, she finally told me she could not get it all out. I’ve seen several posts here from the folks who could not get the needling done because their doctors did not recommend it based on the size of the calcification. I suspect that mine was too big for that as well, but the doctor didn’t bother to evaluate and advise accordingly. 2) I’ve read the procedure typically takes about 15 minutes, and mine took 1 hour and 5 min. Perhaps a lot more damage was done to the tendon in all this time than normally should! 3) The doctor did not come prepared for the procedure, i.e., not just she did not do a radiographic study and diagnostic first, she only brought one set of instruments into the room where she operated, and when the first needle got clogged with calcium, she left the room to get another one, and then another one, and then another one. Each time she was gone for a good 5 min, during which time I was sitting in the chair with the blood dripping onto the chair and floor from the big hole in my shoulder. When I asked her why wouldn’t she just bring a few instruments at once, she told me I’m not supposed to comment on the procedure! Also, each time she went out of the room and came back, she never bothered to change her surgical gloves or sterilize them, and she touched the door knob and who knows what else while she was gone. So, I suppose the risk of infection in my case was also bigger than normal.
No one from the office called me after the procedure to ask how I was doing, and when I called to office to ask about my issues, no one was available to answer any questions. I made a first available appointment with my orthopedist (not the one who did the needling, but the one who prescribed it) and will see him Tuesday evening. I will post what happens next.
First, I would like to say how helpful this thread has been...I have learned quite a bit.  Nova, so sorry to hear your procedure went so poorly. How did your follow up go?  I have had "minor" discomfort in my shoulder for a couple of years. When it hurt shooting hoops at the gym, I stopped doing that...Ditto throwing football on the beach. I did some exercises I was given for my other shoulder (different problem). This past week I halted my 6 y/o grandson running at full speed with my arm...and lifted a couple of heavy items. Then I rolled over in bed and felt that first real bad pain. It got steadily worse to the point I couldn't sleep Monday night. Called my Ortho Doc for but his first appt. was next Wednesday. Went to a well known Ortho Urgent Care facility Tuesday. They took X-rays which revealed the Calcific Tendinitis (looked exactly like one I found on the web afterwards). Physician Assistant who saw me gave me a Cortisone shot and script for PT.  Here it is 57 hours later and I am still waiting for my relief. Have ready many posts where first shot didn't help to one who said it took a week to kick in. Most discouraging is reading how many people had the pain/immobility return after various treatments.  I will still see my Ortho Doc to get his opinion and to double check PT script. I have a vacation scheduled in 8 days and am hoping this won't prohibit my being able to enjoy it.  I am a 65 y/o male.
Today is day 10 after the US guided needling for my right shoulder. Still in agony from pain and disability. Can move my arm slightly in one direction only (forward up). Saw an orthopedist who prescribed that procedure. He is at loss as to what happened to me and why my shoulder and arm in such a devastating condition. He claims he had never sen anything like this. The office did not have any record whatsoever of my procedure. And I don't know if this could be attributed to the sloppiness of the doctor performing it (after all, she was sloppy with everything else related to it), or a deliberate cover up, because they know the standards of care were violated and I could go after them in court. Regardless - no record, no report of what was done. Now, back to the medical facts. I insisted on getting another MRI to assess the damage, and had that MRI done yesterday. Doctor also put me on 800mg ibuprofen 3 times a day and wanted me to take a steroid orally. I rejected the oral steroids, because I just had a cortisone shot right after the needling, and a) it provided no help in preventing the bursitis resulting from the procedure and no help in reducing the pain, and b) nothing good comes from the repeated huge doses of steroids. MRI report showed NO decrease in the overall size of calcification, but about a third of it was broken down in fragments as a result of the needling, with the largest fragment being 2 cm long. All fragments are residing in subdeltoid bursa. The other persistent part of calcific deposit is in the critical zone of the supraspinatus tendon.The total calcification was exactly what it was before the needling - 6 cm. MRI showed a ruptured subacromial/ subdeltoid bursal effusion with considerable edema coursing caudally along the anterior and posterior deltoid muscles. I'm guessing, that's why I can't move my arm.. I hope I can still heal from this, but right now I feel completely devastated. I'm 47 and extremely active with all sports. I have a dance competition coming up in a month and I'm supposed to be training like crazy now. Instead, I'm in totally debilitating state, physically and psychologically.  Hindsight is 20/20, but I should've NEVER gone to this needling procedure!
Can understand how you would feel so devastated. My girlfriend talked me into seeing her Acupuncturist Friday. I am going back tomorrow. My shoulder feels slightly better but not sure if it was acupuncture, cortisone finally kicking in, heat treatments I have been applying, or just not doing much with it. Can feel a wee bit better range of motion but pain is still there. Have appt. Wednesday with my Othro Doc who operated on both knees...go for PT assessment Wednesday also....then get on plane Friday for trip.  Hang in there Nova...hope time will help heal...you are young...and sure being so active will speed the recovery.
I too got this the other day and CANNOT imagine having to put up with it for weeks let alone months. I'm in absolute agony and can't raise my arm away from my body at all. Been given NSAIDs and told its a slow process. The more I read on here, the more scared I am becoming that this will never resolve :(
Today is 3 weeks post needling. The pain and discomfort have suddenly and drastically went up over night and now the level of pain is the highest since the day of the procedure. I did have a minor relief though for the two days prior. Monday night I was able to have almost two hours of uninterrupted sleep and it felt amazing! Well, I feel like I fell back to square one now. Didn't do anything to provoke it either. I think PT is helpful overall, because I usually feel the slight improvement in the level of pain and mobility right after a PT session and for the day of and the day after. I had another visit with my orthopedic surgeon and also got a second opinion from a Georgetown orthopedic surgeon. They both suggested waiting for 2-3 months to see if my condition improves without surgery. And if it doesn't, then the course of action is to get another MRI and proceed with a surgery, which will include bursectomy, removal of calcification from the tendon, and tendon repair if necessary. Recovery time is 2-3 month if tendon does not require a repair and 4-6 months if it does. I also plan to get an ultrasound diagnostic done (with a different doctor, NOT the one who butchered the needling procedure!) 2 weeks from now to see if there is any progress with calcium reabsorption.
Hope the NSAIDs have helped MissWaddy..I saw my Orthdo doc and he wrote the script for PT. Had my initial PT visit for assessment. The cortisone shot finally kicked in for me and I am happy to report the shoulder did not cause me any issues on my 12 day trip to Norway and Sweden. I had some exercises to do but was pretty exhausted each night from touring that I only did them very sporadically.  Will start the PT regularly Friday.  Sorry to hear Nova you are still suffering. Hope the PT helps.
Hi Josie. I suffer from calcific tendinitis in my right shoulder too. My GP got my shoulder x-rayed which shows there are large calcific deposits in the supraspinatus tendon on my right shoulder. I also have a large calcium deposit adjacent to my AC joint. It can be quite painful at night and disturbs my sleep. I'm taking 50 mg of Diclofenac Sodium tablets twice daily. My GP is referring me to a specialist in orthopaedic and rheumatology for treatment.
It is one of the worst pains in the shoulder. As my opinion You can take  suggest superior Physiotherapist for reduce this pain and keeps your shoulder strong and flexible and reduce the irritation.
I too suffer from this ungodly pain! But I was told the calcium deposit had burst? Has anyone else been told this?
I had CT two years ago which was originally diagnosed as a torn rotator cuff by a physiotherapist.  After treatment that didn't work I went for a scan which immediately dignaosed the CT.  I was given a lavage but the nurse said at the time the calcium seemed to be pretty hard and she didn't think it had broken up.  She gave me a cortisone injection which was great for about four months, none of the pain that you all know about.  When the pain came back I had a second cortisone injection but this one lasted only a few weeks before the pain was back.  Finally, reluctantly I went to a surgeon in London who was recommended to me.  He did the scan and concluded based on the scan and the history that the calcium deposit would probably break up eventually but it could be within a year or possibly it would take several years.  He said I had to make a choice between having the ongoing pain for an indeterminate period or having the surgery to remove the calcium and a bit of bone to allow all my muscles to have space to move better (like a refurbishment of the shoulder).  He said that out of 100 people who have the operation 10 will have a miracle cure, 80 will say that it wasn't perfect for various reasons but they were glad they had it, 9 will say that there was no improvement and they wished they hadn't had it and for 1 poor person, it will be a disaster as the shoulder will reject the surgery and it will be worse.  I couldn't imagine anything much worse that the constant pain of the CT so I had the surgery.  It is a 30-60 minute operation, they totally numb your shoulder and arm, like an epidural on your arm, you can have partial or general anaesthetic, I chose the general.  Afterwards, I saw the video of the operation, they basically go in through two pin holes in your shoulder, shave the calcium apart and vacuum it up to remove it.  In my case the surgeon said that the calcium was very hard and it was probably a good decision to have the operation as it would probably have stayed there for a while.  After the operation, you don't feel a thing as the arm is numb but as this wears off the pain arrives but in my case was not too bad and manageable with pain medication.  It is now six weeks since the operation.  I have been doing constant exercises to heal after the operation and get the shoulder working properly after so long without it working properly.  I have about 80% movement but some movements are still tough (reaching up to coat hangers, reaching up to put keys in locks).  But the continual pain and lack of general movement is gone.  I am hopeful that it will improve and get even better over the coming months, maybe to full recovery.  But at the moment I am in the 80 out of 100, glad to have had the operation to be rid of the of the ongoing pain of the CT but it's not perfect.  I will try to remember to update after another couple of months.  Good luck all.  
Having had the surgery, after 6 months the shoulder is nearly as good as new.  Some occasional stiffness in certain positions but mostly full use of the shoulder and no pain at all. It's not for everyone, and I know not everyone has the same result, but I'm glad I had the surgery.  
I am amazed at all the negative comments and misinformation regarding US Guided Barbotoge and Lavage.  I want to send some hope regarding this procedure.  I had this procedure done two days ago and I would highly recommend it to anyone who has calcified tendinitis in the shoulder.  I waited a year and a half because I was scared to death to have this procedure. I could not find one positive comment about this on line. My calcium deposit was was 5mm in the upper right shoulder.  I went to Dr. Pope Radiologist who my Orthopedist referred me to in Raleigh, NC, USA.  He was very kind and explained everything.  First of all, I want to say the pain was very tolerable.  If you have ever had a filling placed by your dentist, it was less than that.  The assistant did an ultrasound to find the calcium deposit.  Totally painless.  Then the doctor cleaned the area and draped it off.   The doctor guided by ultrasound, placed a small needle near the area of the calcification and injected Bivocaine, anesthetic.  It burned for just a minute.  Then the doctor entered my arm with another little longer needle and injected more anesthetic.  There was a little pressure and ache, bu no pain.  He then entered the calcium deposit.  I could feel the pressure of the puncture, but no real pain.  The doctor started the lavage (removal of the calcium).  He received three tubes of cloudy liquid (calcium and anesthetic).  It did not hurt and was completely numb. He was able to get most of the calcium out.  He cleaned my arm and I was finished.  I did not have steroid injected, (allergic reactions) and therefor thought I might have a tougher recovery.  I had some percocet 5/325 and took them every 4-6 hours for two days.  I am on day three this morning and will change over to Advil.  The pain was more difficult at night.  I had some stiffness and had a hard time moving my arm yesterday morning, but I am better today.  I have no pain in my neck or down my back as I did before.  I am so happy to have had this done and wish I had done it a year ago,  If I had to do it again, I would not think twice about it.  I know this is a fairly new procedure in some areas, but it is becoming more available, and more studies are showing it to be a very good choice over surgery for calcified tendinitis. Best of Luck!!
I have had this condition for over two years.  I have had cordison shots in both my shoulders ,never even felt the needles going it.  They did absolutely nothing. I went for Shock Wave therapy, (5 Treatments) worked wonderfully on my right arm, but my left it only helped a little.  I had to wait 6 months before I could go back for more, no luck.  I then found a place that did lazer as I heard it could be successful.  So far its getting worse, they have me also doing exercise but say the rotater cuff is very tight.  I am going to go back to my Dr this week and demand some kind of pain killer, because I have not had a good nights sleep in over 2 years,because as soon as you lie down the pain starts.  If anyone has something that works, I would love to know.  
control your pain and inflammation. Initial treatment is likely to be rest and anti-inflammatory medication, such as ibuprofen. The anti-inflammatory medicine is used mainly to control pain.
Please check into micro current therapy plus massage therapy, plus physical therapy before considering invasive surgery. I have just started this a few weeks am feeling a bit better. Please know it is very painfull, my doctor doesnt believe in pain pills but prescribed me some so I can work through the pain.....good luck
I am due my treatment in May and I am very encouraged by this. If I keep busy the pain is tolerable although at night it is unbearable and leaves me very tired and down. Your news has helped me to hang on in there and pray for a positive result.
I've been having shoulder pain on both sides for quite some time. I was told I had Calcium deposits in my shoulders by an ER doctor when she was looking at a chest x-ray I thought nothing of it because it was just minor discomfort. That was about 3 years ago. About last year the pain became a little more uncomfortable but still bearable. I'm not a big baby lol but my husband made me have it looked at because I was complain often about the discomfort, mostly because I couldn't sleep. So it was confirmed that I have calcific tendinitis in both shoulders. I believe he said degenerative due to and old injury when it healed the deposits formed. I don't recall injuring my shoulders. He had me do physical therapy and it's helped none!  About 2 weeks ago out of the blue I was making dinner and suddenly couldn't even lift the spoon with my left arm. The pain was so bad I was crying real tears. Not something I do. I went to the ER and they told me agin it was the same thing and I had tears in the tendons and a slight dislocation. I have never felt anything so horrible in my life. I have 4 children and I'd go thru labor all over again to not have to deal with the pain. I can't wash my face comb my hair, and let's not talk about sleep. I end up crashing from exhaustion and only for a few hours. Things of nightmares. I'm allergic to NSAID'S so I can't take much for the pain but upon reading all the other experiences I see won't do much any way. I was given muscle relaxers which also have done nothing. The beginning of the week he gave me a round of prednisone which had helped but I am well aware of the fact that it's only temporary. Dreading when the pain comes back. The discomfort has already began and I've only been off the steroids for 2 days. I have an MRI scheduled for this week but I don't know what he's going to suggest we do to resolve the pain. I'm a stay at home mom and it's impossible for me to get anything done. Reading this forum has given me options to take to him since he isn't suggesting much of anything but more physical therapy. It also confirms that I'm not crazy and imagine the horrible pain. I'll be back to let you guys know how it went.