Exercise & Fitness Community
Sodium Intake

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Sodium Intake

My 15 yr old daughter has been diagnosed with High Blood pressure, her docotr told us to put her on a low sodium, low fat diet.  She is very active (she is a cheerleader)but she wants her to walk.  Our question is what is a normal amount of sodium for her to have and what should we lower it to ?
Dont let her drink Caffiene.
Even gatorade can raise BP.

stick to water only.

Check the foods she is eating on the labels.

Usually snacks are the worste.

Take a stick of beef jerky. That is going to skyrocket anyone with
sodium problems.

basically " Check the lables "

I cant give you a normal amount of sodium a person should intake daily but im sure a 5 minute search on google would show up something and help you out. search on. " Daily vitamin intake"
or Normal sodium intake on a daily basis. and keep her lower than that. She wont like it because all the good stufff we LOVE to eat is loaded with sodium.

Soda is a no no period!

hope this helps just a little.
dont drink diet sodas or regular sodas for that fact, they contain a ton of sodium, which inturn will make you drink more water... hence your body will retain it all; as with any high sodium product.  I suggest adding 6-8 ounces of nonfat yogurt, accompanied by fruit: ie: berries, strawberries, bananas or apples.  You can also try swopping the yogurt up daily with hard boiled eggs... only eat the egg whites and some fruit....throw out the yolks.  or eat the yogurt and some fruit.  swap the yogurt and egg white daily, but keep the fruit; but I always keep the yogurt a lunch.  Personally i am a non conformamist.  I will eat 3/4 a cup of reduced carb special K, blue berries or straberries to cover the top.  an 8 ounce cup of nonfat stop and shop yogurt, at least 1 egg white, and a glass of oj (it is low sodium naturally)... sometimes i add a granny smith apple....cant go wrong.  

For lunch low sodium almonds, a turkey breat sandwhich on wheat (light on the mayo with tomatoe and lettuce) and another apple or banana, with another 8oz of yogurt (stop an shop non fat) no soda and water to drink.

finish the day off with a run of 1.5 -3 miles a day before dinner.

works for me!
Rinse canned vegetables in a large strainer under running water. use freshwater or white wine to re heat, hey half a tablespoon of vinegar makes is the flavor perk up...
Dill, and other fresh verbs can be thrown in to enhance flavors that low salt makes bland.