Exercise & Fitness Community
Sore knee with clicking sound

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Sore knee with clicking sound

I will make this as short as possible....
I am a very athletic 26 year old, have played soccer, baseball, basketball, football, and tennis since I was a child.  A few months ago I was playing a softball game and while running the bases felt my knee give out a bit but nothing terrible.  The next day the knee was incredibly sore.  For the past few months it is sore when I bend it or sit in a weird position.  Also, when I bend it I can feel it "clicking"
Have a hard time standing up quickly also because the knee feels real weak, most of the pain feels like it is on the side of the knee and it is driving me nuts.
My dad, who is a Dr, said it is probably the result of all the sports that I play and I should slow it down a little.  Problem is, I have slowed it down and now I am gaining weight (catch 22 for sure)  He guessed that I have cartilage (sp) damage in my knee and the only remedy is probably surgery.

Any thoughts?  It is not a constant pain but I certainly want to get back to my active lifestyle and I am bored now.  Anything would be helpful, thanks!
Hiya jake24,
Do you find you sometimes get the urge to "pop it into place?" it's very sore and when its clicked - its almost like "ahh thats better" then the pain starts again?
I have the same problem in both my knees (left one worse than my right due to driving!) i've had it for years now (about 2yr) an the doc said it was most probably my cartlige, but he also mentioned that my mussell had weakend and needed physio, which only made it worse, so he said it wasnt my mussell (doh!!) and that it definately was my cartlige - he also said surgery would resolve it - not sure what they would do though, i have not had surgery because i was pregnant at the time, but it is something to concider - hope it helps - good luck! Steph xxx
Hi all,

I came upon this forum and got similar symptoms too- leg clicking whenever i bend my knee back n forth and feel the rupture of the bone goin on inside that gives off discomfort. Also whenever i exercise, like running,swimming the right knee gets more sore than the other as well.
The doc says its a acl tear but the mri scan shows it to be fine,suspect its loose ligaments and previous falls i had to have weak knee. Wonder if anyone has the same problems and what kind of treatments was done please share as well?
Thanks.

You most definitely have a torn knee cartilage. Rest, ice packs and immobilization is the initial treatment which help reduce pain and swelling.
I think it would be advisable for you to schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon and undergo a MRI. The MRI will show the torn cartilage and then probably a surgery will have to be done. But remember the recovery period after surgery will be long. Good luck!
Hi there.
I have also been told that my ACL is blown out.  Pretty much it seems it offers no stabilization to my knee joint.  I have no idea when this happened, but the joint is loose as can be so... Anyhow,  since I am a professional dancer and can not take time out for a surgery and was told that since I am used to the extra mobility if I had surgery I would likely bust it out again I have chose not to have surgery.  My doctor said that my leg muscles are well-developed enough that they hold the joint steady, but that if I ever stop dancing I'll need surgery.  
My point.  Surgery is not the only option.  With the help of a Physical therapist, or a personal trainer you could develop the muscles supporting around the knee,which you would need to do to protect the new joint after surgery anyhow.  I think it is important to know that with surgery they take what is left of the ligament and stretch it together giving you less than average mobility and the likelihood of reinjury, especially if you are an active person.   You can always have surgery later, but you can't undo it.  I reccommend trying to stabilze the joint through muscle tone before undergoing invasive surgery.
In the meantime: amen to ice packs, anti-inflammatories (ibuprofen), using arnica gel, wrapping the joint for added stabilization when working out,  elevating it above the heart at the end of a long day..... all the care prescribed for soft-tissue injury can be used as maintenance for a bum joint.
A few years ago I was doing sitting meditation for an extended period. Since then I noticed that my right leg lost some of its mobility.I ignored this but then this year after completing a gym session I noticed that it started feeling it more. I halted my gym activities but continued playing soccer. Since there wasn't any pain unless I was sitting in a cramped position for a while I restarted my gym program.Two weeks into this program I started feeling pains in the area above the knee cap and couldn't walk properly or bend both knees without pain. Its been months now since this  happened but trying to do my usual activities leads to reduce mobility and pain.However when I don't do any running there is no pain only an occasional clicking sound My doctor says it is just a strain but I would like your opinion on the matter.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I would suggest you to visit an Orthopaedician, your history clearly suggests that the squatting position of meditation might have damaged some ligament in a minor way. While in Gym you are putting pressure on that ligament and it is resurfacing. So go for proper check up and then if you are clean it is ok, if not slow down your exercise not to exert any pressure on your particular ligament. Orthopaedician will teach you what not to do after the diagnosis.  Take care!
I'm 14 and I play field hockey I have similar pains inside my knee. There is no swelling but also no clicking and it goes after about a day, until I run around again then it is back. I haven't been to a doctor yet but I have an appointment and I hope it's not serious or surgeory solved.
hi im 21 and have the same problem my doctor refered me for a scan but they didnt find nothing how can they not find something when i no there is something defiantly something wrong my sleep even gets distubed due to mt sore knee and when i sit with my legs crossed and every bend i make my knee clicks carnt find nothing about it tho ?? x