Speading Numbness During Exercise
I'm a healthy age 25 male (no diabetes).  I've been experiencing numbness from running. It usually only happens if I run more than 4 or 5 miles (35-45mins of exercise)....but doesn't happen every time. It starts in either one or both of my feet as a slight tingling, then goes to tingling numbness, then total numbness as if my feet were asleep. If I stop running, it stops spreading...however if I continue running, it spreads to my ankles, and up my legs. After I'm done running feeling returns to my feet, ankles & legs in about 5-10 minutes of inactivity.

This is very annoying as I'm trying to build my distance up to run my second marathon. I ran the 2003 Honolulu marathon without this issue affecting me (luckily)... even though periodically during that time I was experiencing this issue as well (although then it was only after running 8 or 9 miles or further [1 to 1.5 hours of exercise]).

Please help... I've been dealing with this for several years now. Today my general care physician gave me a possible diagnoses of tarsal tunnel, but is referring me to a specialist for further testing. During my time in the Army (2000 - 2005) I saw numerous doctors, none of which helped in any way...they just gave me 800mg motrin and sent me on my way.
This is happening to me as well.  It has been going on for about 4 months now. I have gotten to where I can't walk more than 30minutes without having to stop and then restart.  My legs have a funny numb sensation from the knee down.  I have seen a neurologist who just referred me to have a MRI which is on the 25th.  People look at me like I am crazy when I explain this sensation. I was trying to google my symptoms and came across your post.  I am glad to see that I am not the only one experiencing something similar.  Keep us posted on what you find out.

Thanks,
Angela
This may sound ridiculous but make sure you have a proper fitting shoe.  I am not a runner but have a good friend who is a marathoner.  He spends quite a bit of money on good running shoes because he experiences all sorts of problems when he has a bad shoe.  I also have had numb toes when using the stair climber for extended periods of time, it can be frustrating.  
I had my first appointment with the doctor about the issue. He's referring me to a specialist to have an Electromyogram (EMG) test done. I guess I'll know more after that...it's Monday the 24th, so for all you out there with similar symptoms I'll keep you posted.

p.s. the doctor mentioned tarsal tunnel (carpal tunnel of the feet) as a possible diagnosis, but it doesn't explain all the symptoms.

p.s.s. my shoes fit... lol... I ran 20-30 miles a week for 5+ years in the army, and ran a marathon in 2003... I know how to find properly fitting shoes, and not to tie them too tight.
Sorry....didn't mean to insult your intelligence.  Good luck with your test and keep us posted.
I am beginning to wonder if it is something to do with the ligaments in the leg behind the knee??  I remember a while back I was having sever calf pain from the ankle to the knee on each side of my claves.  That is subsided since I started walking 5 miles and not running but now I still have the lingering numbness from knee down and tingling in the feet.  I was messing with my leg today and it is VERY sore and tender behind the knee and when touching the ligaments on the sides of the knee and behind the knee.  Not sure why the docs won't just MRI my legs but for some reason they are wanting to rule out ALS or MS for some reason?  What about you?  Did they ask you all the questions about whether or not those diagnoses run in your family?  All my labs were terrific and no diabetes.

it have the same problem. Doctor said it was normal , it is caused Bc lack of circulation to legs because the muscle are fatigue. Basically ur body is telling u to quite I am tired