Exercise & Fitness Community
Spinning Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Spinning Pain

Ok not sure if this is in the right place but here goes.

Last week I went to my first spinning class. The next day I had sore muscles (as I had thought I would, it being my first time). I went to my second class 2 days after my first - still with sore muscles but thinking it would help. Well, it didn't. The second class was yesterday and for the rest of the day, and also today, I have not been able to walk well, bend my knees, lift my leg (mainly my right leg). The muscles in the front of my thigh are in agony. I have been resting, taking ibuprofen and applying Bengay to my thighs and I am just about able to move around. Is there anything else I can do to help relieve the pain? Should I make a doctor's appointment or am I doing all I can? When will I start to feel some relief??

I really did enjoy the classes and would like to continue but this pain is worse than any exercise related muscle pain I've had before. I don't want to go back until after my muscles have healed, but I'm worried that the same thing will happen if I go back when I'm feeling better.
Give it a few days and you should be completely back to normal. In the future, when you are sore let your body recover before trying it out again. Doctors call it DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) and it is due to your muscles being damaged and needing time to recover. In the past people thought that this soreness was due to a build up of lactic acide but we now know that it is due to muscle fiber damage. This damage is necessary if you are going to become stronger. Resting is critical to allowing your body to rcover and not getting injured. If you want to work out when sore try a different exercise that uses different muscles. The good news is that once your muscles have healed they will be stronger and the pain will be less next time.
Good luck.
In addition to jdesouza's good advice I would add to stretch the muscles you use in spinning immediately after class (ask your instructor for examples if needed).  Make sure to drink a lot of water after an intense workout, and when increasing activity it's a good idea to take multi-vitamins if you don't already.  I would also recommend increasing your potassium intake (ie eat baanas).
Hang in there!
Thanks for the replies!

I am almost back to normal now. I'm hoping to go to another class tomorrow (and try to take it easy!). I really appreciate the advice, it's good to know why my muscles hurt like that and that rest was the only way to feel better! I will also start taking multi-vitamins and potassium.

Marissposa, my instructor has a stretching routine at the end of the workout which seems pretty good. Should I also be stretching before the workout to warm up?

Thanks again for the advice! :)
Hi catrocks, how are you doing? Hope you are feeling lot better by now and also continuing the classes. I do agree with other members saying you need to get used to the spinning classes and it may take a couple of weeks also. Do not try to exert too much on a particular day, rather go at a slow pace and do it regularly. Initial muscle aches and soreness is common which mights pass off slowly. Do warm up stretches and gentle massage before you go on actuals. Over the counter pain killers and muscle relaxants should controll the pain. Local application of pain get and hot fomentation will also help. Take care and share your thoughts.
Catrocks,  Glad to hear you're doing better.  It is a good idea to stretch before your workout too.  Warm up stretches should be more gentle, so as not to injure yourself.  Save the real deep stretches for after.
Thanks again for the replies. I am due to spin again on Friday and my legs are feeling a lot better. I am going to take it a bit easier this time and not assume that I am at the same level as the rest of the class! Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it! :)
You are welcome.  Happy Spinning!
Hi catrocks, how are you doing? Thanks for your reply and hope you are feeling better now? Yes, do practice before you go on with regular spinning classes and continue the casual stretches. You need to self assess at what speed and rhythm you are more comfortable and not to strain too much. If possible try and take short breaks and do a little gentle massage. It is better to get massage and take hot steam bath at nights. Good luck for your spinning classes, take care and update on your progress.