Exercise & Fitness Community
Sporadic Calf Muscle Soreness and Stiffness in both legs at once

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

I am not sure if anyone has experienced this.. for the past 6 months I have been experiencing a sore tightness in both of my calf muscles sporadically. It does not seem to be related to exercise since I can go for a run and feel nothing... but then I can be sitting and all of a sudden my calves (always both at the same time) start to ache and feel tight. Sometimes they feel so sore that I can almost not walk. Water seems to help on occasions. I can't understand why all of a sudden I may be becoming dehydrated so that doesn't seem logical...

The aches come and go without warning and sometimes it's much worse than other times. There have also been times when I may not experience any aching for several days.

My doctor, general practitioner, has no explanation. I am thinking that I need to see someone else... any ideas? Endocrinologist?

Any ideas would be great.
Viewing 1-200 comments:
Also I forgot to say I am a 38 year old male with no past major medical problems. I did tear my achilles tendon 7 years ago.
Yes! Currently, my daughter is experiencing just the same thing. We've been to a Veinous specialist, orthopedic specialist and a musculaskeletal specialist and they are all shaking their heads in dismay as to what this could possibly be. And...as you say she is almost always in some sort of pain and sometimes it's so bad she can hardly walk. And...yes it is in both calves at the same time. We had an MRI of her back done because that's theoretically where leg pain stems from, but her back looks fine. We also had a MRI of her knees done as well and they look fine also. We just finished a round of veinous tests, i.e. ultrasound and blood pressure of the legs and again, they are fine.

For some reason, I keep coming back to something in the muscle. Maybe a lactic acid build up or something similar.

My daughter is 31 and has always been on the go. Constantly on her feet, working etc. This has brought her to a stop to where she can hardly function. Her problem started a little over a year ago while we were on vacation in Las Vegas.

If you have heard from anyone else, please, please contact me at ***@****. We are fast going broke with all the tests and Doctor bills and we still have no answers. Like you we are seaching for an answer.

I have been searching for 7mos for someone with similar symptoms, in hopes of pointing me in a direction they may have gone.  I too have soreness,achiness,crampy,tight calves in both legs but including my feet.  This hit me one night and has been constant for 7mos. I am sorry but don't have any answers other than to share some of the testing I have had to direct you.
Some thoughts are lyme testing and other infectuous diseases associated with ticks as well as west nile that effects muscles, emg testing to look at muscle response, rheumatic screening for illnesses such as lupus and thyroid testing.  Blood work to look for low magnesium or b12 are nicer possibilities.  I am also seeing an endocrinologist this week as it may provide me with more advanced testing than the base screening that initial blood work provides.  If you have any advice or direction it would be greatly appreciated.  I have some other symptoms that neither of you mentioned which include; a fine tremor in my upper body including my arms which are also weak.   I often have difficulty with performing tasks such as writing or cutting with my right hand. My upper body weakness began 3mos after the onset of my leg weakness.  Thank you.
I am having some of the EXACT same symptoms.  My calves are hurting soooo bad, I cry and cry.  I can not get any relief sometimes.  My calves feel so knotted up I can't take it.  Also the bottom of my feet and my bottom is hurting as well.  I have seen a rheumatologist and he is thinking fibromyalgia.  I've also been to other forums and people with fibro have similar knots in their legs.  My next stop is the neorologist.  I have not had any venous testing though.  I have had my thyroid checked along with lupus and rhuematoid arthritis (negative).  My bloodwork looks perfect.  It's really very frustrating.  In the meantime, I'm starting some physical therapy this week and getting massages.  Hot tubs, heating pads, and muscle relaxers take the edge off (sometimes).
You might want to look up Compartment Syndrome-  there is a test they can do for it.  I was diagnosed with excertional compartment syndrome and had a fasciatomy done.  My symptoms were similiar to yours, but got worse as time went on.  Just a thought.
I have been doing a lot of stretching and that seems to be helping a little.  I watch tv and stretch my legs out.  I also started some physical therapy today, too.
I have the same problem. I thought that maybe I was working out to hard postpartum, but the my legs are sore an the days I don't workout also.  I've been wondering if it has some connection with my hypothyroidism.
I initially experienced numbness in my foot. Eventually that alleiviated and then I started to feel stiffness in my calfs in both legs.I have been tested for lupus,MS, Thyroid, and arthritis. However the tests came back negative. Advise if you know anything else. I've been to a neurologist, rheumatologist, podiatrist, family doctor, and now an internal medicine doctor
We are going through the same situatuion for the past 9 months with our daughter.  She is an athlete and her tightness, heaviness, soreness is located in the back of both calves, but only during exercise.  The pressure and pain go away shortly after stopping exercise.  All of her tests including  x-rays, neurology,emg and ncv, mri, spine, blood work, venous testing have been negative.  The doctors are still checking for chronic compartment syndrome but we are having a hard time locating someone who has experience with testing for posterior compartment syndrome.  You should rule this out as well. If anyone knows of doctors in california that have experience with this we would be grateful for the information!
i cannot believe so many others are experiencing the same symptons, i work out & its exactly the same stiffness & pain as if ive had a really hard session walking uphill & get the soreness etc the following day. only this time i havent worked out, this just started the other evening out of the blue! really weird & worrying, my GP told me to take paracetamol which was of no help, thing is so many things go through my head like thrombosis in both legs, some sort of circulation problem, i dont know Help!!!
I am also experiencing the same problems..I am currently in tears beacause it is so bad.It does not matter if I excercise or don't exercise i still hurt. The only thing that has helped is getting massages...which i cannot really afford. I have recently had tests run and everything came back fine but everyone keeps telling me that my pottassium is low or I have lupus or FM or my thyriod is not working right but the lupus and thyriod are fine. and my pottassium is actually too high.. i drink about 20 bottles of water at least a day and stay dehydrated..... im so clueless as to what could be the problem. If you have any ideas please let me know. thank you.
Hi,  I just recently had a reoccuring episode of this, and a biochemist I know suggested I might be having a magnesium deficiency.  I took a calcium table and a magnesium tablet and within 3 hours my aching and soreness were reduced a great deal.  My doctor is also clueless and could only come up with possible deep vein thrombosis but the physical exam didn't sync up.  Read up on magnesium and calcium deficiencies - it all made perfect sense when I read about it because magnesium is vital for muscular health and can't be absorbed without calcium so they're both linked.  If nothing else give it a try and see if it works for you all as it did for me.  Good luck!  ~ Jody
I am experiencing the same problems and it I haven't been exercising any differently.  I am in a good bit of discomfort because both of my legs (from the knees down) are tight and feel like they are half-way into a Charlie-horse type of muscle cramp consantly for the last two days now.  I have a B-12 deficiency and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (hypothyroid) and am currently taking Celebrex for heel spurs in my feet.  I am only 27 and am currently thinking it is a vitamin deficiency as well.  My advice would be to take a multi-vitamin, eat a banana and see what happens.  Then see your doctor.
Some few years ago I suffered a few times from a stiffness and a feeling of swelling with a moderate pain on walking in the middle of my left calf only. The stiffness and pain appeared a few seconds after I got out of bed. I could perform any kind of leg movement, even hopping on the left leg,  without changing the degree or location of the pain. I noticed the apparent location of the pain could change slightly.  My ability to walk was not affected, and in fact seemed to be beneficial, so I walked as much as possible. After some time, from a few hours to a few days, the pain would suddenly go away. My doctor was unable to offer any explanation.
   The last time I had this problem was a few years ago.
   I was in my office at my desk until late last night, quite a normal thing for me. I did something which I have never done before. I ate 4 large bananas. I don't eat bananas in the office. Upon getting up, out of the blue, in the left calf only, I noticed the feeling of swelling and a feeling similar to that which comes when a muscle has been used intensively, something that is explained as a buildup of lactic acid, but there was no pain.
I did not realise that there was any connection between calf problemswith bananas until I consulted the web tonight.
Here we have two rare events - the eating of bananas and the appearance of this discomfort. Is this just a coincidence?
This phenomenon seems to be the inverse of what I am reading here !
The muscle symptoms described here can be caused by various things. One thing you may want to consider is the possibility of an auto-immune reaction to an underlying infection. I'm a 42-year-old male who's otherwise healthy. Several years ago, I had an intestinal infection that went on for a number of months until I finally saw a doctor and was treated. Bowel symptoms included alternating diarrhea and constipation. At the same time, as soon as the bowel symptoms began, I started getting leg cramps in the calf muscles, which I had never experienced before, along with a sensation of continuous muscle soreness in the calves like what others have described in this forum. My muscles did not decline in strength, but in endurance. For example, I walk on the beach regularly, but the soreness and reduced muscle function cut my walks in half. The infection was thought to be (but not confirmed as ) Endolimax nana, a parasitic infection treated with Metronidazole. Within several days of treatment, my gastric symptoms went away and my legs felt much better. However, it has been at least a couple years since then, and I still feel some leg discomfort or soreness (though greatly reduced), and my muscle endurance throughout my body has continued to suffer (for example, I can't swim nearly as many laps as I used to be able to, because the muscles just give out prematurely). After being tested for many of the things discussed in this forum, the most reasonable conclusion (though still unproven) is that it's some sort of auto-immune disorder triggered by the infection. There doesn't seem to be a solution, but at least the symptoms aren't getting worse. I hope this information may be helpful.
I have been experiencing pain in both legs (calf and thigh) muscles for about 5 years.  I've been to the reumotologist had an mri.  I recently had orthoscopic surgery on my right knee.  I feel a pain in both knees, and feel like the pain radiates up and down the back of the legs.  Lately, probably 6months, when I am idle for brief periods of time, upon standing and trying to walk again, the muscles in both legs are STIFF.  After walking for a little bit, they get a little better.  If someone were to ask me how my legs feel, I'd say they are tired pretty much all the time.  A lot of these posts sound very similar, although everyone mentions the calves.....does anyone experience this in their thighs as well?
This is so weird, because I've been having the same symptoms.  I talked the nurse at the Dr's office and she told me to quit taking my cholesterol medicine for a while.  Muscle weakness and soreness is one of the side effects.  You may want to check the side effects of any medicine you are taking.

I deeply sympathize with all of you on here, as it really is dificult to explain to anybody including family friends and doctors what sort of distress chronic calf pain and stiffness can cause. I'm afraid i dont have any really just experience of what i have gone through and things that i have tried.

I am 21 years old and have had severe problmes with my calf muscles and feet since i fell from a roof (about 10ft) 3 years ago.

I broke nothing, no fractures was just told in A&E that i had brusing of the heel. As far as doctors can tell i have done no other damage to my legs.

At first it was just pain in my heels, which turned to tingling and numbness  but  has now slowly progressed up my legs and into my calves. Now i can't sleep at night, i can't walk for more than 20 mins without having to stop because my feet and calves literally feel like they are on fire. It's always worse in the morning and late and night and walking is less painfull that standing (In a queue for instance)

It feels like constant burning, my calves and muscles in my feet are incredibly tight and knotted and despite stretching them daily nothing seems to be able to get them out of this state...it's driving me insane!

Iike many of you i have become disillusioned with the whole medical process, i have had mri scans on my back and legs that showed and nothing (and cost me a bomb, i'm only a student) i have had emi or nerve conduction studies to rule out tarsal tunnel syndrome that again were negative. I have tried orthotics for supposed planta facitis(sp?) that didnt do anything. I have seen a neurologist that said my nerves were fine but put me onto a specialist in pain medicine who at first diagnosed me with referred/localised pain syndrome ( i forgot the medical name now) but after he did a bone scan he then put me onto a rheumatologist saying i had early signs of arthrtis. I saw her a couple of weeks ago and she told me that the scans infact show no sign of a sytematic deterioration in the feet that would indicate arthritis and instead said i should go back to the pain specialist and start physio ( which i have already done for almost a year when i first got the injury)

hence, i feel like i have spent 3 years in a pain a lot of money, and time, and am now back where i started with still no sign of a diagnosis. I'm 21 used to be very sporty and be able to do everything i wanted and now i worry about just having to go shopping for food incase there is a big queue, please somebody help me as i don't know where to go to next and i seriously can't continue in this much pain!

If you have any suggestions as to what i could do next or want to talk about it post a response here or email me. thanks

Joe ( ***@****)
Me too! I've been freaking out about it because I have a chronic phobia of losing limbs
I meant everybody, I was just thinking about this guy sam when i type this
Yes, I have pain along the outsides of my thighs too. They feel like they are bruised when I touch them. The outside of my calfs feel like that too. Anyone know what could be causing this???
Most of you are experiencing muscle pains. My pains are deep in my legs and calfs. They are like sharp probing pain. They come on, last a few seconds and subside. But they do this every few minutes. Like a stabbing pain. Sometimes it'll last for a few minutes, subside, then start up again. They will often do this in the middle of the night to waken me. I'm always afraid it's deep vien thrombosis. How would I know?
This all started after othroscopic knee surgery in Sept. My meniscus and cartillage were torn.  Since the surgery my hip, buttocks and legs have been very painful. My knee still bothers me and I can't climb stairs as well as before. I now think I should have never gotten the surgery! Before all this I was a avid hiker and walked 3-4 miles a day. Now it hurts to even walk a mile! I've also gained 4 pounds!
Also, the sides of my thighs are sore to the touch...like they are severely bruised...
Any ideas??? Thanks   Oh, I'm 55...if that helps anyone.
I was recently diagnosed with Thiamine B1 deficiency.  I do not know the root cause (could be pancreas, liver, malnutrition etc...).  I also have higher than normal fasting glucose levels, also perhaps related to the low B1.  I have been supplementing B1 and alpha lipoic acid at the recommendation of my neurologist, but so far (day 3) not really any noticable improvement.  I also have some abdominal pain (upper left quad.) and numbness of my feet and hands.  However, the calf pain in both legs was started before these other things.  I also have a hiatal hernia.   Hopefully the root cause will be determined.  I just wanted to through this out there as low thiamine can cause these symptoms.  
This has been an interesting read. I have been struggling with leg pain since last July. The doctors just told me it was from over doing (my husband and I remodeled 2 houses last summer, and moved twice), but I have been taking it easy since Sept, and it's not going away. My muscles (deep tissue) in my calves hurt, and i get knots of a type around and above my knees. My husband can help the pain somewhat be massaging out the knots and massaging the deep tissue in my legs, but the pain comes right back. i have had some success with yoga. My doctor told me I have loose knee caps? and told me to take this Ibuprofen 2x a day. i haven't taken it that often, really just as needed. i just bought a bunch of vitamins, and I think i will go back and buy some magnesium and be diligent with taking calcium pills as an earlier writer recommends.

I would recommend the yoga to everyone, most good teachers will work a particular part of the body if you request it, (by the way, its "Hatha yoga", this involves deep breathing with movement).

The yoga helps for about 24-48 hours.

Thanks to all for your ideas!

-JPRM
I have been looking for someplace like this for so long. I am a 31 yr old female and have been struggling with these symptoms.  My calves feel so sore and bruised almost everyday.  This has been going on for almost two years now.  Prior to the soreness I was experiencing numbness in my legs which I still get.  That started about five years ago.  I just can't believe sitting here reading this how people describe my symptoms so accurately.  I have been tested for a few things and in fact am going to the doctor's again tomorrow.  I am going to ask him again what exactly has been ruled out.  He has previously told me he thinks maybe I stand on my feet too much for too many years ( I have been a cosmetologist for over 11 years), but ironically I only work 2 days a wk now ( I went back to school) and my symptoms only seem to be getting worse.  I also notice the bottoms of my feet feel bruised along with my hands sometimes too.  Weird!  I was thinking about the possibility of fibromyalgia myself.  But I tell ya, I am going to go out tomorrow and buy magnesium and calcium and yoga tapes to see if it helps.  Oh yeah, and the massage does help...I can't afford it either, I massage them myself.
I hope this helps. I had similar problems and I could hardly walk. First thing I did is flush my gallbladder. I had about 500 little stones flushed out of my body. Simple thing to do and it takes 3-4 hrs. Completelly painless. (google gallbladder flush to learn more - you just need olive oil and lemon). In 2 days i was jumping. But that lasted around 4-5 months. The pain returned and I went to my accupuncturist.  I can not explain what is exactly going on, but there is an article that is pretty close to what my doctor was telling me. and it is n ot connected with just lactic acid and muscle fatigue. It has got to do with Yin energy of some organs like your spleen, bladder and kidneys.

Please see http://www.yinyanghouse.com/acupuncturepoints/theory_ev . I hope it will give you an insight....
I've been dealing with similar symptoms now for about a year.  I experience a dull pain, similar to what I describe as a lactic acid build-up in my leg muscles (thighs, knees, & calves) as well as my foot muscles.  Pain is severe upon getting up from a resting position, either sitting or lying in bed.  That 1st step in the morning is EXCRUCIATING.  I'll admit that at 46 years old, I'm not in the top shape I was about 5 years ago, however I have been walking daily for about an hour.  Contrary to my thoughts, it feels better on my legs and feet to be moving.  Standing or sitting for a period of time seems to cause further pain on start-up!  Like any typical guy, I've held off seeing a doctor, but then again I did not even know where to start.  Because my feet hurt so much I thought of seeing a poditrist thinking the problem may be starting there.  I think that I'll try the Mag & Cal solution ... possibly even the Gallbladder flush ... Thank you for your help!
Tim
The kind of pain you are describing can be due to venous stasis or vascular compromise. It can also be due to varicose vein. Pain in night in calves while sleeping can also be due to Restless Leg Syndrome.
I think you should consult initially PCP and discuss regarding further management and further reference to surgeon for evaluation of venous stasis in legs.
A Doppler study of your legs will help in diagnosing the condition.
Keep me posted.
Bye.
I want to share an interesting thing about my calf soreness and aches.  I have alway been very active, however, I do not exercise in the typical since.  In other words, I don't run, swim, jog or workout on any trainers.

Here is what is curious about my aches and soreness:

I have always drank a lot of water.  And I'm finding that if I drink less water, that my calfs do not ache as much.  In fact, I went from drinking 6 or 8 pints of water each day to 2 or 3.  Perhaps to much water in the calfs creates the tightness that causes the aches.

All I'm saying is that perhaps we drink to much water for our lifestyles.

Of course if you live in a hot/dry climate and/or you exercise a lot, then extra water is needed.  But for everyone else, I really don't think you need to walking around all day sucking on those water bottles.  

Wow...this is my first time on tis forum amd I can't believe so many have the same symptoms that I have. I do take Crestor for high Cholestarol, plus I have diabetes, I do have some peripheral neuropathy, but this felling in my calves is different from that. I think I would best disribe it as the feeling of black and blue bruises without the discoloration, plus a tightness of the skin. Doctors are dumbfounded and tend to blame it all on the Diabetes, but that is a totally different feeling. I am considering the magnesium and asking the doctor if I can stop the Crestor for a few days and see if that makes a difference. I don't have my gall bladder, so I don't know if I should try the flush, but I'm open to all ideas.
Hello fellow leg pain sufferers...  I have had constant calf pain for several months now and have just found this website while doing some research on the matter.  I was hoping this would go away but it has not.  It feels like lactic acid build up after strenuous excercise but is constant.  The morning's first step is most painful and I find my calf pain/stiffness will intensify after I sit down for a while during the day or night. Stetching and massage works a little but the pain still persists.  
Has anyone had any success with Magnesium / Calcium?  
Help please,  this is driving me nuts...

Glen
At least I am not alone.  The pain in my calf stops for months then returns.  It is a horrible painful buring when I walk accross the room.  It helps when I am sitting but the pain and tightness is still there.  I did take magesium because I thought the Blood Pressure Medicine I am taking was causing this, but I've been on the medicine 2 months and it just started yesterday.  
Woke up sunday morning to calf pain no reason for it not working out .
I have hashimotos and gall bladder sludge and some back problems from lifing heavy items on the job.  The  calf pain hurts when I stand or walk only not when laying down with feet up or to the touch.  not sure if swelling is behind knee or not?
I am like u suffering problem for last 10 years i m 25 male,  just do massage i will relax u nothing else.
I just found this blog and am thankful to know that I'm not crazy. My leg pain has been gradually worsening over the past few years, so much so, that I actually went to a vein doctor convinced I had DVT.  Veins were normal. So I'm constantly searching for clues as to what it could be. Has anyone thought that candidiasis might be the culprit? There's a lot of information on the internet, so I just started taking caprylic acid to see if it might help. Supposedly it's a long process to kill all the fungus in your body, but I'll report back in a couple of months if it helps.
Makes me wonder if our goverment has something to do with it.
to many people are having the same problem. it could be the middle east attacking our drinking water or food chain. I too have the same symtoms (symptoms) for no reason. But I find that when I work hard all day the pain eases up and when I lay down or set in a chair my calfs ache and feel tight.
I  have the same problem and, this condition was one of many reasons i have been studying massage therapy.This is what i do to relieve the pain and sometimes stop it.you will need 2 towels: one face towel and 1 hand towel ,also a hair dryer,and a good quality hot jelly. What you have to do:
heat the face towel,applied the hot jelly ,wrap it in your calf,hold it tight,meanwhile heat the second towel ,wrappe it around your calf on top of the first towel,use the hair dryer once again to promote heating, add pressure, ,keep your hand pressing for at least 5 minutes you will feel like a burning sensation.remove the towel and proceed to  massage,and pinch your calf,yu'll feel the softness in the muscle,hope this will help to all of you,note:heating the towels in the drying machine does not provide the same results.
I have the same muscle symptoms of stiffness and now seeign an orthopedic doc. I get a treatment called IMS , inter muscular stimulant, bascially lengthens the muscle that has contracted. U feel immediate relief with this ,but it takes time to cure, over 4-8 weeks.
Some days i am in so much pain i cant get out of bed, its the calves and thighs for me, and different parts of the leg..weird.

neways, I am seeing an ORthopedic, who does this, as part of a pain management , would suggest u all to research the same.
I have a burning ache..and feels better with legs elevated.
ashna
Hi ash318, how are you? Hope you recover fully soon? Can you say what led you to get these muscle stiffness/spasms? Since when you are under the orthopedician care and are you given this therapy on day-to-day basis? Few sessions of physical therapy and massage therapy is useful. Try to avoid further aggravation by proper care of triggering factors. Here is some useful information on myofascial release, which you might find helpful, check-in this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myofascial_Release
Do continue with therapy and update on the progress. Take care.
Hi, I have been Fell walking since i was 15 ,I am now 53.Pain in my calf muscles has never been a problem apart from whilst under extreme strain ascending hills,but the pain subsides after resting,that is until a month ago.Not being a panicky sort of chap and allowing my imaginings to meander into amputation mode, I decided to look at what I had done different that may be causing the change. The pain seemed to get worse whilst walking uphill and not on the flats or downhill.My right foot went numb(ish) and felt quite uncomfortable.
Right--The only change that i had made pior to this pain was as simple as buying a new and different style of walkig boot with a longer lace up system.Although i had allowed for a extra half size to give my feet room for swelling when hot ,I was simply tying them a fraction to tight,restricting the blood circulation .As we have one foot bigger than the other,my right foot suffered the most hence the numbness.After loosening them off especially around my ankles,the pain subsided and my right foot had full feeling to it.
This may not help any of you but it works for me.I walked 20 miles the day that i solved my problem.So please check what you may have done different that could cause any pain,before thinking the worst-Ray
I just want to thank everyone for sharing their experiences and offering suggestions for relief.

Five days ago, I noticed my feet were swollen and sore just from me entering Walmart at the Garden Center, walking to the magazine rack and standing in one spot for about 10 minutes while I read a magazine. I was alarmed, but shrugged it off and thought I needed to get off my feet for awhile.  

The swelling will go away at night as I elevate my legs to sleep, but returns at some point throughout the day. Today, I notice that my calf muscles were extremely tight and sore.  I’m going to see a doctor next week as I can hardly walk due to the pain.  I just sort of drag my feet with my knees bent. I’m a 30 year old female, and as someone else mentioned - I have a obsessive phobia of losing limbs.  

Five days may seem to early to be freaking out about it, but you just have a way of knowing when something is terribly wrong with your body. This is one of those times.

I’ve also come to the conclusion that this may be something I brought on myself.  I spend about seven hours each night on the computer.  I sit on the sofa and extend my legs onto the coffee table.  I thought this was a good idea to elevate my legs while sitting for such a long period of time, but I was only partially correct.

It seems that when I stretched my legs straight out in front of me, I was only elevating them in relation to the floor, but I was not allowing the blood to circulate.  Many nights, I would go to stand up and the backs of my knees and the heels of my foot would burn.  

No limbs had fallen asleep, but as my cousin (who’s a nurse) explained - the blood was “pooling” behind my knees and in my ankles. She suggested that perhaps the swelling and stiffness was due to some sort of circulatory problem created by the position I had assumed for hours on end.

About two weeks ago, I stopped sitting in that position b/c the burning sensation had become too intense.  But I don’t understand why the swelling and soreness took another week to manifest.  If it were just sore muscles caused by the position, I think they would’ve hurt the whole time. Or, at the least, immediately after I stopped sitting like that.  But a whole week later?

If this turns out to be something serious (which I fear it will be b/c nothing I’ve tried has worked), I don’t know when I’ll stop beating myself up over the ignorance I displayed.  Every time I take a step and am in pain, I ask, “Did you do this to yourself?  Did you hurt yourself like this?”  It’s psychologically taxing.

I hope that I’m wrong and that the whole thing is a coincidence.  Ideally, this wouldn’t be happening at all, but I’d feel much more accepting of the situation if I find out that I didn’t directly cause it.

Based on the majority of your experience, I have weakened faith that the first doctor I go to will be able to help me.  I’m going to give the magnesium and calcium pills a try and seek out testing for Compartment Syndrome.  Again, thank you all so much.

Hello.  I think you should investigate the possibility that you may have an anxiety disorder.  Often with anxiety a person will fixate on a body part and begin to notice a variety of symptoms associated with it.  Therapy is very effective in treating anxiety, especially a kind called EMDR.  Maybe you should consult a psychologist.  Take care.
I am just finding this forum today. Yesterday i was online all day trying to find an answer. I have suffered from leg deep muscle cramps for 12 years! Onset was during my second pregancy. I've been complaining to my doctors but they all just pushed it aside like it was in my head. Finally a few months ago i decided I couldnt handle it anymore- it has gotten so much worse over the years, and so i got a new doctor, and am now seeing an orthopedic surgeon who diagnosed me with Chronic Compartment Sydrome. I have been getting PT but it only helps during the pt- I am always in pain, day and night, unless i am moving or exercising. The minute i sit or lie down the pain starts. it is a constant, burning deep ache. I used to be able to relieve it with stretching- stand close to a wall with your sneaker on and put your toes on the wall and heel on the floor and push. the problem has always been that the pain only disapates during the stretch, then comes right back.

Deep massage (though very painful) helps me get to sleep at night. I also apply bengay and sleep with dancers leg warmers wrapped around my two calves every night- it is the only way i can fall and stay asleep. Stretching right before bed helps sometimes. I bought a PRO STRETCH through my PT ($60) which works much better than the wall or stairs.

I had thought my orthopedic doctor had finally found the answer, but when i looked up compartment sydrome online yesterday, it doesnt seem like i have that at all, since with compartment sydrome, relief is found when resting. this is the opposite of what happens to me. i only find relief if I exercise, stretch or massage.

my insurance company may not be paying for anymore PT so i don't know what to do next. I couldnt believe i found people (and a whole lot) that are suffering as i am. I thought i was crazy for years and then i was sure noone else had this since everyone I speak to has never heard of it before.

I am willing to try anything, and have yet to have any testing done. I see my Orthopedic Doc. next week and will see what she has to say. I will ask my regular doctor to do some other testing.

I too dont exercise much, and do drink lots of water. I too had some stomach virus as was described above about 4 years prior to onset of the leg cramps. I am sitting at the computer now and my legs are absolutely killing me.

Help!
Jo D
I have been studying and looking into all probable reasons for calf muscle pain since i posted my last comment and as i mentioned last time it is likley that its something i'm doing different that has caused the reaction,ie a change of footwear,a change of medication etc etc Even an Asthma inhaler can bring about this change(depending on which one).Some of them can affect the amounts of potassium in the blood stream.Potassium works with sodium(salt)  to maintain the fluid and electrolyte balance within cells.which is neccesary for the transmission of nerve inpulses and muscle function.When levels are low muscle 'cramps' and pain can occur.
Potassium can be found in fresh and dried fruits,seeds and nuts,advocados,and bananas.I would suggest -try eating a banana with your Breakfast and see if there is a difference and to check that any salt reduction you have made affects the cramps.
I can remember with all the hype about salt being bad for the heart and cutting my intake down,resulted in aching muscles.So I counteract this (when fell walking) and always take a bag of ready salted crisps.
Illness such as diahorrea can affect mineral level which can in turn upset my mineral balance and i suggest that sachets of Dioralyte are taken as these replace the the salts lost with this illness,these electrolyte powders also contain 0.30g of potassium.
N.b (I have no other interests in this product,apart from personal usage)
The main suggestion I could give is ,Try not to let your imagination run wild with any change in the body.Some changes occur because of age,some because of a something different that ive done.
Thankyou-Ray-England.
Furthering my investigations into muscle pains/cramps, I have found another reliever that may help----Magnesium sulphate,Otherwise known as Epsom salts.It is recommended that one to two cupfuls are added to a bath full of water(Warm).This apparently draws out any Lactic acid from the muscles. I hope this works-Thanks-Ray -England
Very Interestung comments-suggestions etc. re:aching legs etc. It was interesting to note that keepitsimple mentioned the reduction of salt being a factor--I recently about 2months ago reduced my salt intake due to high blood pressure noted by my doctor. I am now wondering if it is a factor in my aching calf muscles which drive me crazy--just when you think their gone-it's back again-I walk and or bike everyday and am active. There are times I could cry and have in the last few weeks. But just this week I started taking ibprofen gel caps-200mg each. I find they work well.....mybe extra-strength would work better,,I take a calcium and glucosamine everyday for arthritis.

Dehydration can cause muscle soreness due to electrolyte imbalance. Please make sure you maintain your fluid intake.
Also you can try doing some stretching exercises of the calf muscles. Please consult a physiotherapist if the problem continues.

I too was experiencing severe calf pain to the point the doctor ordered an ultrasound to rule out deep vein thrombosis.  It came up negative.  After about a month of this, my shins started to hurt almost like shin splints.  Then I had numbness across the top of my leg and my foot.  The doctor diagnosed compartment syndrome, but like some of the other posters it doesn't feel better with rest.  It feels much better with deep tissue massage, but the PT says something must be causing this.  I will keep reading to see if anybody else comes up with something.
i recently came back form florida and the next day i woke up with heavy leg. they didnt hurt just felt tired for about a month. then my calves started burning and aching. i am a hairdresser and i was unable to work for awhile due to burning,numbing and tingles in my entire legs.i have had all the basic tests done and no answers. i have an appt for mayo clinic but not until sept to see if they can tll me something.i am so stressed not knowing
This is a follow-up to my post back in October 2007. Just to recap my condition, I have chronic muscle soreness, especially in the calves, and reduced muscle endurance. The onset of these symptoms began with a parasitic intestinal infection. Although the infection itself was successfully treated, the muscle symptoms remained (though in a less-severe form than during the active infection).

I recently found out that taking certain nutritional supplements has greatly improved my condition. I had previously tried taking various vitamin and mineral supplements (including calcium, magnesium, and potassium, as mentioned by others) without any beneficial effect. The supplements I've found to be amazingly helpful basically consist of MSM and glucosamine. Within a few days of taking them, my muscle pain decreased and my muscle endurance greatly increased. I'm now able swim and exercise again without the rapid onset of muscle fatigue that I used to experience, and my muscles no longer feel sore for days after exercising. I've deliberately waited about 2 months before posting these results, because I can now say seemingly without question that these supplements are having a very beneficial effect.

The specific supplements I'm taking are both made by GNC (General Nutrition Corporation), but similar supplements are widely available. They're in capsule/pill form. The first one is labeled MSM/Glucosamine, and contains 500 mg MSM and 500 mg d-Glucosamine Sulfate. The second one is labeled TriFlex and contains 1500 mg Glucosamine HCL, 1200 mg Sodium Chondroitin Sulfate, and 900 mg MSM. I take each pill once a day. I plan to do further tests to try to narrow down the specific substance(s) in these pills that are actually helping me, and I'll post the results.

It's unlikely, of course, that these supplements will help everyone in the same way. Although the symptoms posted on this site sound alike, they may be caused by various underlying conditions. Still, if the supplements helped me, they would probably also prove helpful to certain other individuals. I would certainly encourage anyone with symptoms similar to mine to at least give them a try.

-Randy

i have suffered with this for about 3 years and have had every test done just like all of you.  i have talked to alot of people with the same problem and they also can't find anything wrong. i sometimes wonder if having a  spinal block done on me when i had a child about sixteen years ago might have had something to do with it.  i know alot of people whose leg's are hurting have had a spinal block in the past. i take lycia and tramadol to help the pain, but would give anything if my legs would just stop hurting.
i think i slept too much today sunday.but when i woeke up i had soreness and pain in my legs and calfs so i took a motrin 800,and took my potassium pills.i underestimated the value o water,plain water not sodas ,juice etc. i recently fell off a chair at work and hurt my back the next day i noticed that i was weak in the legs,i saw my internist who made me take an mri which was ok.i have been seeing a choiropractorwhich helps . i had the feeling for a month so far but until i read all the posts here i can see it has to do with the muscles in my legs and calfs and their tightness. i understand alot more now.THANKS
I was experiencing the same problems and I didn't know what was going on either.  I hadn't changed anything, was working out the same as usual, but had horrible pain for no reason in my calf muscles (both legs).  The only thing I could link the pain too was that I bought a pair of the "Croc" shoes.  I stopped wearing them and my calves stopped hurting!  Not to monimize anybody elses pain of it is not caused by these shoes, but maybe this could be it for some others out there.  Sounds crazy, but the shoes make me throw my weight differently (and I only weight 150) and keep my calf muscles flexed.  They make me hold me feet and legs differently when I stand in them.  Maybe this will help someone....helped me.  I hate to not wear them anymore, but my legs have stopped hurting completely.
try this
http://www.mindbodymedicine.com/index2.html
severe calf cramps in both legs came on 1 night over 2 weeks ago & suddenly woke me up at 1:30pm. They eventually subsided, but I got bruises on the backs of both calves 5 days later, and my calf muscles have continued to twitch non-stop since that day and are still twitching. they wake me up every night around 1-2pm ready to go into full blown cramps, but I now sleep either sitting up on the couch or laying down with both legs propped up, and I put a hot towel and heating pad on my calves all night. They twitch and ache every day all day.

When it first happened I started eating bananas, then taking a multi-vitamin, then tried an over-the-counter leg cramp medicine. Nothing has helped. Now my ankles have swollen so I can't see my ankle bones and my legs feel heavy and swollen and they are still very tender like bruised all over.

I have been trying to find a clue online and have come up  with maybe the possibility of a thyroid condition. Without health insurance yet, I have limited $ to spend trying to find the right doctor. I am going to try to find an endocrinologist though asap to see if *** could be a thyroid thing. As many have posted above, maybe it is just lack of calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, iodine, etc. but I have been taking a multi-vitamin with all of these in it for 2 weeks now and I am not sure if it is helping.

I can't lose any more sleep, I am exhausted and I started a very important new job 1 month ago. I can't lose any sleep or work. This has to stop now. I will keep you posted and I hope you do too. Especially if anyone has success fighting this and can let us know.
A simple blood test will diagnose whether or not you have a problem with your thyroid.  I was just diagnosed with three types of thyroid cancer, had my thyroid removed, had one I-131 treatment, and another scheduled.  Calve pain is definitely one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism.  Your family doctor can order this test.  Your life is worth the expense; even if you have to take out a loan.
Im surprise I haven't seen any mention of possible piriformis compression syndrome.  It is a controversial diagnosis but may be the cause of leg muscle issues.  I have had fasciculations, soreness, and weakness in my calf muscles for months.  My neurologist thinks it may be piriformis syndrome.  I also have soreness and tightness deep in my left gluteus maximus, which indicates possible injury to and inflammation of my piriformis.  The piriformis runs across your sciatic nerve.  The other possibility may be my slightly herniated disc in my L5.  I did see mention of lower back disc issues being a possible cause of symptoms
I had piriformis muscle strain from excessive weightlifting and cycling.  The muscle was in a constant spasm (knotted up) and I would experience random sharp excruciating pain jolts behind my knee for over a month.  My doctor had no idea what was wrong.  After much research on my own, I decided that it was my piriformis muscle and began therapy that included stretching all of the leg and glute muscles, added calcium, potassium, and magnesium supplements to my diet, and took epsom salt baths for weeks.  Finally one day at work, after about one month of little relief, I experienced another sharp pain (after sitting at my desk in one position for hours working).  I got up, in anger, laid on the floor, and stretched the piriformis muscle farther and longer than I had before, and it let loose.  I could feel the muscle in my glute extend and my leg dropped a little further than before.  I have not had a pain since.

The piriformis muscle was so inflamed and strained that it was pinching the sciatic nerve and the pain manifested itself behind the knee.

Lesson learned; no excessive workouts with no stretching, don't create muscle imbalances by not exercising all the muscles in your body In my case legs), and age (I'm 50 now) will put a crimp in your vim, vigor, and vibrance.
I have been having leg pains, it's been going on for about a couple of weeks now. It feels really restless and pretty painful and i have the hardest time sleeping. Also on the bottom of my feet hurts like hell, my muscles feel like they are really tight but if i take pain killer it doesn't even seem like it helps. But for the most part what I have read is more or less what it fells like.
I too have the exact same syptoms (symptoms). Both of my legs feel like they are bruised when I touch them. It feels like I did a heavy work out and jogged 50 miles. They are so stiff. This started 2 days ago. Three days ago I had an MRI with dye on my brain. I am having other problems too. Has anyone ever had leg pain after an MRI with dye? Also I was in the hospital overnight and they seriuosly druged me with 5 mg of diludid every 3-4 hours. NO JOKE! I was having severe pain on the left side of my face. Something to do with the 5th nerve. I forgot the name of the disease! Anyhow, now I am more concerned with my legs. I can't deal with anymore health problems. Any advice?
I have had the same issues with both calves feeling crampy sort of the feeling that you know you are about to get a charlie horse but then I never do.  Since I know the reason behind charlie horses is low iron, that is why they tell you to eat bananas, that is what I started doing eating a banana every day and I didn't feel the crampiness.  Of course today I am out of bananas and I noticed the crampy calves again.  I would definitely try eating a banana every day or taking a iron supplement and see if that works you could possible stop for a day and see if it did the trick.  I have come to find that most aches and pains are normally a form or vitamin deficiany.  Good Luck everyone.
This might answer some questions. I have the same symptoms as mentioned in past posts. This was my problem. I am a martial artist for over 20 years in tae kwon do and this problem started about 3 years ago with sore feet that went into plantar fasicitis. The worse symptom was shooting back pain in my lower back near my spine and right above my hip. Turns out that the IT band (Iliotibial Band) on my left leg and my Psoas muscle on my inner right leg were over tight and causing my body to be toqued (twisted) out of alignment. I had an MRI of my back and there wasn't any tears or ruptures in the disks. It took my chiropractor about 4 months to stretch me to where his treatments would hold. The miracle worker was his massuse. He was able to perform deep tissue massages to release the tight muscles in my legs, thighs, buttocks, and back. This has taken about 9 months of weekly treatments, but I have seen a major improvement. Deep tissue massages were painful at first, but decreased with pain as the muscles loosen up. I still where orthotics in my shoes, but I think I can start wearing shoes without them in a few months. Going barefoot has no pain at all. I still have sore/achy muscles in my legs and calves at times, but I walk without limping or shuffling. I have talked with others and they all have jobs lifting packages or doing repeat tasks with twisting. I did work for UPS for 7 months loading/unloading trucks.Your legs would be sore if your gait is shortened when you walk thus causing sore feet/plantar fasicitus. I am a 46 yr old female, healthly. I only slightly tore my right inner ACL 5 years ago. Other than that I have been active in sports all my life.
I had the same problems.  They'd been getting worse over the years, and it was worse when I exercise, but I had the pain and cramps even when I took time off from exercise.  I used to lie to people when I was limping around and tell them I'd over done it working out even when I hadn't done anything for weeks.  I had cramps and shooting pain or burning in my feet, calves and sometimes even all the way up to my back and in my hands.  I've been to multiple doctors over the last 10 years.  I've been tested for Lymes disease, high thyroid, cancer, arthritis, autoimmune, ect.  I've been told I have rheumatoid arthritis, no wait - firbomyalgia, no actually - lupus . . . I've been through this cycle at least 3 times.  I had other symptoms as well, migraines, insomnia, no apatite, heart palpatations and allergies.  My blood work was always normal, except for the highest calcium levels my doctor had ever seen in a woman, and high potassium.  Then, my mom, a nurse, read an article about low vitamin D, and how 85% of people in high latitudes have low Vitamin D because of the lack of direct sunlight they get 9 months out of the year.  My vitamin D sure enough tested low. I started on perscription strength supplements, and within a few months (it takes a while to increase the levels) my symptoms lessened.  I still had them off and on, but they were no longer constant.  Frustrated, I put my symptoms into Google, and came up with magnesium deficiency.  Vitamin D and Magnesium are what facilitate potassium and calcium.  Within a week of taking magesium chloride, all my symptoms disappeared.  I still get some minimal cramping when I exercise hard, and my doctor has suggested upping my dose a little.  I no longer have migranes (migraines) or heart palpitations and I can fall asleep and sleep through the night.  My mom, who was diagnosed with foibromyalgia, has started taking it, but it makes her sleepy, so she takes it at night.  I have been completely amazed at the reversal of my condition.  I went from not being able to walk, to working out everyday again.  I feel great!  Hope my story helps some of you.
I have been on a walking routine for the last couple of months and I have a lot of stiffness in the back of my calves.  I had walked previously and never had this problem.  I live in Florida and I am thinking it may be related to dehydration.
Just when I thought my calf muscle stiffness was all in my head instead of my legs, I found all these comments.  My problem started right after my knee surgery, but not just the one calf muscle.  It began in both legs.  I am fine as long as I am up moving.  If I sit or lay down, and then get up my calves seem to just freeze up.  I have to stand in one place for several seconds before I can move, and when I do it is so painful that I sometimes cry.  The stiffness and pain last only a few minutes then I am fine.  That is, until I sit or lay and get up again.  It has been a year and a half since my surgery.  My GP and my orthropedic do not have a clue.  I think that they think it is just me whining.  My chriopractor started me on magnesium this week.  I haven't seen any improvement yet, but I will let you know if I do.
I also had this, really painful, found that sitting at my computer for long periods with the chair to high was partly to blame, also took some milk thistle, this is good for the Kidneys and someone had told me it may help, it was great.

Okay, I have lowered my chair, and I will definitely try some milk thistle.  I'll let you know.  Any thing is worth a try.
Since you seem to be pre-disposed to cramping then we need to address the causes. It is almost always a mineral deficiency of Potassium and Magnesium. The imbalance of sodium to potassium cause muscle cramping. Magnesium and Calcium do aid in a helpful hand as they both contain relaxing properties. Increase your Potassium rich foods as well as Magnesium and Calcium.

Secondly, don't forget to drink adequate water as dehydration will assist in muscle cramping.

Thirdly, as sitting is the shortened postition of the calf muscles then we need to consistently stretch out your calves to help relieve tension.
Wow. Amazing what a Google search will do. I assumed I was just cramping but thought I would do a search anyway. Turns out that there are others with the same issues. My calves, lower back and back of thighs and I walk all the time, like 5+ miles a day. I have never had this problem before. Sort of thought bad shoes were the culprit but new shoes aren't helping. I'm going to figure out how much of the mentioned vitamins I should be taking, and give that a shot.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
These are minerals which cause cramps not vitamins!
Vitamin B12 deficiency and anamia can cause some nerve tingling also.

So it is always good to take wide range of fruits, vefetables when you are exercising. Fresh fruits are always advisable as they give you mineral, vitamins and also fibre.
You can have carrots, green leafies also.

+

Ergonomics is important, the position you stand, work out and the shoes you wear and the posture you sit while working.

Take care
HI,
To all who have added to this post: Please investigate CMT, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease. This is a hereditary disorder (no cure, sorry). My father has been diagnosed with CMT. Symptoms include weakness in the lower legs and high arched feet. I am 32 years old and am starting to experience chronic soreness in my calves. Not sure I have CMT as I am an unhealthy person in general. I drink, I smoke, I don't really exercise, and I don't eat healthy either.  I am told symptoms usually begin in mid-thirties early-forties. Haven;t seen a doctor about this yet (I am thinking a nuerologist would be best), but CMT is my first guess. I am not a doctor and this is only a guess. Hopefully this will help somebody.
Hello for the past 15 months I have been experiencing leg and hip pain from a fall.  I have had three different diagnosis...scatia, lumber spine injury to the latest...muscle sprain.  I have had every therpy you can think of but no relief.  It hurts to sit, fold legs and stand for long periods of time.  Have had x rays that shows nothing wrong.  I am begining to feel that the doctors believe that my pain does not exist or could not last as long as it has.  Any comments on this.  Thanks
Avatar_dr_m_tn
1) Sciatica
2) Lumbar Spine Injury
3) Muscle sprain

Out of the three the Lumbar Spine Injury can easily be diagnosed by an X-ray or a MRI

Sciatica is a set of symptoms rather than a diagnosis for what is irritating the root of the nerve, causing the pain. MR neurography has been shown to diagnose 95% of severe sciatica patients, while as few as 15% of sciatica sufferers in the general population are diagnosed with disc-related problems.
The pain is felt in the lower back, buttock, and/or various parts of the leg and foot. In addition to pain, which is sometimes severe, there may be numbness, muscular weakness, pins and needles or tingling and difficulty in moving or controlling the leg. Typically, the symptoms are only felt on one side of the body.

Muscle sprain can be made out by clinical examination near any orthpaedician who would test the muscles of your back in all range of movements and come to diagnosis.

Based on the diagnosis we advice you to go for proper treatment near an orthopaedician. Take care!
I have found a fantastic sports gel,  but don't know if it's okay to mention the name of it on here.  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi!

Well go ahead!
You can mention and also mention the ingredients. (Composition)
If it is a best practice and acknowledged and proved by medical study it is well worth.

Take care!!
yes i have been having the same symptons as some of yall mine hurts in both leg but mainly in my left leg. M left leg swells the longer i am on it i have had 4 venous leg dopplars done negative on left leg 3 on the other.what could it be i had a baby 7mths ago i hear these stories oh my goodness i could have this for every i got scared about one in pelvis but the dr told me that since my leg swells it would show up on dopplar test
I'm 51 yrs old and felt the same stiffness in my both legs as if i had walked miles miles away. I hardly sleep at night without stretching my legs, sometimes it relieves me but more often, not. I had some varicose veins some are tiny ones.  Does this cause the pains in my legs or does arthritis contributes too?  Please help me.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Arthritis is pain in the joints, and if you have them in ankle, knee, hip or any bone in the legs you experience these symptoms.
Varicose veins also contribute to this.
You need to go for treatment of your varicose veins to a vascular surgeon and should follow up on arthritis near an Orthopedician.

Take care!
Avatar_dr_m_tn

Post pregnancy you need to think about eclampsia, which is increase in blood pressure and also anaemia when you have blood loss and the haemoglobin decreases and you have these swelling in legs.
Consider both of these for your diagnosis.
Doppler will rule out clots, DVT.

Take care!

It's nice to finally find other people with the same problem.
I'm 24 years old male, and have the same symptoms as mentioned above.
Usually I'm in a good and healthy shape, doing sports and watching my diet.
2.5 years ago I've started to feel pain in both of my calfs. The pain is always there, on some level. When I stand for 15/20 min or walk for 1 mile I just have to sit down from the burning pain in my legs.

The only thing that I've found helpful is a good massage to that area, but the affect goes away after 2 days.

As everybody here, I've done almost every test possible: blood test, legs MRI, CT, EMG, Ultrasound etc.
All of the tests were indicating that everything is ok. I saw many doctors, some thought it's the lower compartment syndrome, but it just doesn't seem to be right.

Other  thought it may be something in my lower back that's radiating on my legs. I have scheduled a MRI test the lower back, hoping the answer will come from there.

I will soon post weather the lower back MRI helped in this matter or not.
If anyone had any progress, or found a solution to this frustrating problem, please let me know.

nadav_neu***@****

Thanks,
             Nadav.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Dear Nadav,

Sometimes the diagnosis poses the maximum delay.
You should also go for mineral estimation to check for mineral balance and also blood sugar and blood pressure estimation.
Take care and well go ahead with the MRI of the back.
Looks like Im a late comer to this forum... well, if anyone still perusing this message board, I have been experiencing the same calf tightness for a couple of days now. I did play basketball two days ago (for the first time in a year!), but not strenuously. Yet the next day, my calves (not thighs or feet interestingly) felt tight.. but not sore. I run once a week for a few miles, and this sort of discomfort hasnt occurred in the way that it is so localized. I guess what Im asking the forum is,... has anyone ever experienced muscle pain that doesnt seem to follow logic or discernible origin?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

This is not common. As you have played basket ball after a year you might have put maximum pressure on your calves while jumping, running, dribbling and moving around so you have calf tenderness. Rest, ice packs and anti inflammatory drugs will relieve your pain.
Take care!
To all the leg spasm sufferers.  I, too, have excruciating spasms in both calves, however, I also get them in the muscles behind my knees and in my foot like a swimmers cramp.  I get these mostly at night, they actually wake me up and I talk to the muscles, lol.  My doctor doesn't know what's going on but they are every night and sometimes during the day.  Anybody got any info?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Age is an important factor as with increase in age and with fatigue this can occur. You need to do some basic tests on your vitals like Hemoglobin, blood sugar and blood pressure estimation and if possible mineral estimation.
Any abnormality you can follow up with a Physician.

Till then you can take occasional pain killers, ice the area, exercise regularly and have a balanced diet nutritionally rich in minerals and vitamins.

Take care!
I have had similar symptoms for at least 10 years in regard to the burning, sore calf muscles that feel like a lactic acid buildup. I tried switching to soy milk, taking vitamins, and massage with minimal improvement. I have noticed that eating certain foods makes the tightness worse. I also have a migraine condition that is exacerbated by certain foods. When the leg burning is bad, my quadriceps often also get very sore and tight, feeling "ropey".

In regard to the cramping, if I encourage my leg muscles to cramp (and boy that hurts!) for a while afterwards the burning sensation leaves.

I suspect that since it gets worse after eating certain foods, and often feels better all by itself several hours after I have eaten, that there is some compound that my body is not digesting properly, or is somehow combining with some other chemical that eventually gets processed by my kidneys?? perhaps?? Perhaps the viral theory is appropriate, since so many people seem to be experiencing the same symptoms, and it is very unlikely that we are all related to each other (genetics).
I've recently started experiencing this, and it began to appear right after I started taking Cod Liver Oil (in gel pill form).

Not sure if the two are related, but I may stop taking them to see if ti subsides. (Cod Live Oil is VERY high in vitamin A & D. Not sure if or how this all could be related. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.)
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

There are conditions called Hypervitaminosis, where you suffer from these symptoms with excessive vitamin A.
If anyone have these symptoms take vitamins under prescriptions and after titrating the dosage properly which is different for different individuals which is related to age and weight of the individual.

Take care!
Ever hear of or tried Trigger Point Release? I use a Thera Cane on my calves now and then to release the muscle tension and get the blood flowing again. I get this  my thyroidism, but it is obvious from this long post that many people have tight calve muscles.

A product called Hylands Leg Cramps works great at night.
I have had the same symptoms, I was always healthy exercised daily, no health problems, then one day out of the blue I began to experience stabbing sharp musle pain in my calf. After a month or two the stabbing pains, and muscle spasms became more intense, my muscle strength seemed to deminsh and the pain continued whether I worked out or not. The pain then continued to my feet. Pins and needles, My legs,calves and feet were so stiff I could hardly get out of bed or get up after sitting for awhile. The pain has just progressed over the past year and a half. I began to experience swelling and redness in my feet and knees and my lower body feels bruised and tender like I have been beat up. I havenot hadmany issues with the upper body excpt it seems over use of my hands(writing,doing yard work, raking leaves) causescramps and soreness. The muscle spasms are mainly in my legs but will show up in other places as well. I have been to my GP, 2 Rhematologist, and Nuerologist, all with good backgrounds from Stanford, John Hopkins and Mayo Clinic. All blood tests negative, no autoimmune disease, no infection, no cancer, not thyroid, I am not diabetic, no nueropathy or vitamin deficiency.....so and so on. They all diagnosed me with FIBROMYALGIA /CFS. This when the nuerotransmitters over stimulate causing the body to overact sending out increased pain signals affecting tendons, muscles, and fascia tissue.I have had difficulty accepting this dianosis because I was healthy one day and can hardly walk the next? A sleep study was done and it deterrmined I do not get past stage 2 of sleep, this can contribute to pain, fatigue,muscle cramps tremors etc because the body does not recuperate, this includes the brain and muscles. I am on several medications: but recently I was prescribed Savella which tends to to help alot with the leg and feet pain. After 2 weeks I could actually get up and walk with out crying or feeling like I had claw feet. I also take Zanaflex for muscle spasms and cramps, and Temazepam for sleep and Utram ER for pain and vitaman B12, I am trying to accept this diagnosis so I can move and come to an acceptance. My last blood test did indicate high levels of Iron which can cause symptoms of CFS/FM. My doctor is doing further testing for a more accurate reading. The doctor also stated I have Plantar Fasciitis.This is where fascia of feet is affected making it very difficult to walk , causing crmps in feet, heels and calves.It often affects people who exercisea lot and have flat feetor a high arch. This is being treated with northodics, night splints, no weight bearing exercise night splints and foot streching exercise which have helped. as Platar Facsiitis affects bottom of the foot up in to the calf. Please check into these things as you may find some relief.Good Luck!
How many with this symptom also:

1. Drink coffee or other caffinated drinks?
2. Have tightness in other muscles, such as necks, forearms, hands, or foot arches (plantar faciitis)?
3. Experience worse symptoms during certain times of the season (such as winter).
4. Experience a relaxing of the tight muscles and ease of symptoms with a glass or two of wine (or other relaxant)?
5. Have slight tremors in the hands during grasping activity?
6. Share other common symptoms? (please share)
I too have pain in my calf, ankle and low back. I have had all the test and still nothing. I came across a book after learning about 'knotted up muscles and trigger points' on the internet. It is called "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" Second Edition.  By Clair Davies  Or research information about Trigger Points.  Some of you may find this could help you.  Good luck. I feel your pain also.
Hello everyone,

I've posted my status in this forum in Aug 2009, here is a part of it:
" ... I'm 24 years old male, and have the same symptoms as mentioned above.

The only thing that I've found helpful is a good massage to that area, but the affect goes away after 2 days"

As I said in that message, I went to do a MRI test of my lower back to see if there is any connection. Finally, after 4 years of tests, I think I have a real "lead" on the case. It seems that my nerves, that goes from the spine to my legs are being compressed by one of my back discs. It causes the excat symptoms that I have (and everybody here), and it even has a name. It's called "Lumbar Spinal Canal Stenosis". A known Cause of Back and Leg Pain.

I hope this was helpful. This link can shed some light on the subject: http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/common/brain/disorders/256.html

Take Care,

N.

Hello!!

I'm a 22 year old female..and I've been having the same problems for around 3 years. Sore calf muscles..sometimes I cant even stand. I figured it was because of my job..since I stand all day. Then I started to realize it happens everyday..even if I don't do anything. I have read this forum and decided to try some of these things. My doctor also told me it could be because of my low potassium levels..I've been eating a banana every morning and the pain isn't as bad.
I highly highly recommend acupuncture.  Trust me, I was as skeptical as anyone, and I am still not convinced it will help with the root cause to my foot/calf pain problems (as my practitioner claims).  But I can say with confidence that this has helped me manage the pain significantly.  The first treatment I went for (3 months ago) made the pain disappear.  Recently it has started up again, and I just went for another session.  I'm looking forward to another 3 months pain free!  
Hi Everyone,
I too had this issue within the last 3-4 days. This started when I was fasting, having only a lunch daily. I have a feeling that this is due to lack of vitamins/minerals & I am going to start the same.

Also a simple massage of the calf muscles for a few minutes seems to bring immediate relief. Will post the results on this page when I am done.

Interesting to know that I am not alone.

regs

George
It's a beautiful thing to know you're not alone.. I'm 60. My calves started to have a life of their own 3 years ago.. I had just started BP meds, the side affects were brutal..Tried 9 other types, NO RELIEF..we took every position from nutrition to neurologists.. tried a dozen different dr's, nothing..My calves feel like they have a colony of beetles living in them, if they are not cramping or getting 'charlie horses' in my feet, they are 'bubbling, popping and twitching.. I'm lost..feeling hopeless.. If a calve muscle is acting like this.. what is going on with a heart muscle?  Muscles are muscles..So I do stretches, lots and lots of stretches, hang ten on the steps, bike, yoga, trampoline, jumprope you name it, something everyday.. Relief is temporary to none.. BUT.. I HAVE THE MOST GOREOUS CALVES YOU HAVE EVER SEEN.. I FOUND A SILVER LINING... maybe its the universes way of saying EXCERSIZE..  LONI!!! so don't give up...
I've found myself with the a similar problem for almost two years now, I'm 28. My calves hurt every day. I am limited in my walking, I avoid stairs, and I can't even ride a bike. I have no idea what this could be. Has anyone figured anything out????

A persistent soreness. I've tried eating bananas every day, I've taken supplements for magnesium and potassium. Now I'm going to start munching on Spirulina everyday. I've also started taking a shot of Cayenne pepper everyday to maybe aid with circulation and healing to the area. So far, No relief.

Hello all,

I've had trouble with my legs for the past couple of years.  I've tried everything from taking extra potassium to stretching and massage.  Two years ago, the problem started as what I thought was a severe charlie horse.  That problem persisted and the muscles tightened to the point that my calf muscles both ripped.  My legs were bruised from the knee down and I couldn't walk for several weeks.  Once that problem healed, I didn't have any issues until this past month.  The muscles started again with the charlie horse feeling and have been continually tightening ever since.  Again, I've tried heat wraps, all kinds of muscle creams, massage, extra water, potassium, aspirin, muscle relaxers.. Nothing helps.

I have Fibromyalgia, but I'm 33 and I've had FM for 20 years, but I've never had these types of problems before the incident 2 years ago.

Any help/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

~ K ~
9 mos ago I started having difficulty walking, was told by GP start Magnesium.Months later after MRI,Venous Dopplars,many tests all negative, many Doctors later ,Neurologist diagnosis "Diabetic Neuropathy" type 2 diabetes.
Sugars now under control, CANNOT WALK with out  a walker and "not very well" balance really bad,pain at night excruciating. My whole world is upside down. Stiffness in both legs after lying down, sitting,walking or Physical Therapy.Doctors are at a loss no one can tell me anything,they just keep saying hang in there. I take a vitamin pack for diabetics,Magnesium,drink lots of water, watch everything I eat....nothing seems to help. I want to walk again..anyone experienced this and got back to normal ?
I have a question for those experiencing calf and muscle pain, especially if it seemed to come on all of a sudden.  Have you taken a flouroquinolone antibiotic (Levaquin, Avelox, Cipro, Floxin) right before or up to several months before the onset of the pain.  I took Levaquin back in 2008 and my tendons, especially the achilles and the backs of my calves were greatly affected.  I could hardly walk the first 2 months.  Now, the pain is less, but the stiffness and tightness in my muscle endures.  Two months after I took Levaquin, a black box warining was issued for all flouroquinolone antibiotics in regards to tendon problems.  Something to consider.

LevaquinFloxed
I am 15 and experiencing this exact same problem. I have no idea what to do for relief, and no one seems to believe me about it.
im 15 and experiencing this exact same problem. No one seems to believe me about it
Like other forum members, I am relieved to know my symptoms are common to others too. Its driving me crackers. I have pain in my calf muscles which came on suddenly about 7 months ago now pretty much all the time but its worse when I stand up after sitting or sleeping and eases off when I walk. I am completely flat footed and have always had problems with my feet so it was thought that I needed new orthotics but that hasn't helped. I have also had a scan but that didn't reveal anything. I am generally pretty healthy and keep fit. I haven't been able to properly exercise for months. After reading these entries I have booked an appointment for my Dr tomorrow to get tested for vitamin/mineral defficiency. I'll let you know how I get on. I just want a diagnosis.
I saw a documentary on TV for a woman who was complaining of sore leg muscles that seems really similar to what many people are talking about.  She was diagnosed with ADDISON'S DISEASE.

One of the other common symptoms is a craving for salty foods - this seems to be somehow related to ideas other people had about reducing or increasing salt intake.

Also, if you look up the symptoms, muscle weakness (but not soreness) is typically listed. But given this woman's serious problems with her leg muscles, it seems clear that this disease (which is related to a particular hormone dysfunction) involves serious muscle pain as well.

wow i am not alone. i was reading an article about this on the net i will give you the URL at the end .it has worked for me:) but saying that i do how ever replace my soft orthotics and shoes often . i have found that my pain is mainly cause by posture and wearing crap shoes. even some of the expensive brand shoes are just crap so what did i do to help myself first do your research on sports shoes ( only two companies i have found are serious when it comes to foot health and posture ) asics and new balance.(i am no way affiliated with theses companies. and this info came down to research of my own .
these two manufactures build shoes that are designed for either hyperpronator and supernator and neutral postures .they are not overly expensive shoes .a lot of research goes into the product .
ok have a look on the net about the above conditions of posture and (hypernating and supernating) it all there dont belive what the sale kid tells you about shoes most of them havent a clue go to a sports clinic see a physio see a foot specialist. look it up read .
i wear 6.0 mm soft orthotic incerts with arch supports to correct my posture and my calf pain heal pain only comes back when i wear worn out shoes and the orthotic need replacing i do this every six months or so and no more pain for me .plus a good massage and so physiotherapy and a stretching routine to boot.

try it out if it relives your pain by 25% that cant be too bad but i am sure the benifits will be far better than that.

anyway off the shop to buy a new pair of innersoles (orthotics)
oh and i also buy 2 pairs of new balance shoes (hyperpronators) at once and usually ware then alternate weeks  and i get 12 month before i buy another 2 pairs and usually go through about 4 pairs of innersoles (orthotic supports) from the chemist per year.
i DO NOT WEAR SLIP ON  shoes at all . and i only wear lace up shoes now.
it all helps.
richard
sorry i forgot the URL for you all to have a look at if you read about it it dose tend to make sense as well it will explain about hyperpronating and supernating. dont worry about the sales bit but do the test you will be amazed and then youw ill have an idea about what also can cause this pain.
i am no way affilliated with the site i found it when i was surfing about the calf pains too
and saw my foot specialist and we came to the same conclusion .i worked for me it might just work for you i know what it is like to suffer this for years and a bit of relife if not pain free is better than nothing i still have a bad day from time to time but this is my indicator to get new shoes or inserts .
it just works for me
Hi, I posted about my calves before. I went to the doctors and he said it was low potassium. I felt good for a little while then all of a sudden my pain came back. It's getting worse and I'm afraid because my job requires lots of walking (fast). I also like to run but it's become impossible due to the pain in my legs. Sometimes they get so bad when I get up my fiance has to stretch my legs for me before I can even get out of bed. It's also causing me to lose sleep because the pain is so bad I can't sleep!! It's affecting my life and sometimes I just cry. I'm only 23.
Definitely have your Vitamin D levels checked (mine were low too) and a good exclusionary work up with some standard lab tests.  Moist heat on the back of the thighs/ calves helps me to get to and stay asleep. Also, a relaxation/ hypnosis tape or CD at bedtime might aid in getting into a deeper, more restorative stage of sleep--these are all things I have found have helped.  I also started taking Omega 3, 6 & 9 combo for the multiple benefits also linked to serotonin levels and brain function. Fibromyalgia has been proven to have a link to malfunction/ hypersensitivity to brain perception of pain. Mind over matter: I know if you think you can heal--many times your body just needs time, good nutrition and sleep and stress reduction to heal.
What a lifesaver to see that I am not alone.
I am a 42 year old woman who has been going to the doctors for the past 6 months with the same exact symptons that I am reading so many people talking about.
Ii started with tingling in my feet, then over time my calves hurt. I explain it by saying it feels like a dull toothache, and the stiffness is scary.
I have been tested, for several things, and everything has come back negative. I did have a low Vitam D,a nd my docotr put me on the regiment of high dose vitamin D. My leg pain is still here.
I am going to request a lower back MRI to see if this shows anything, but I am lost and frustrated.
I felt so alone until today. Please let me know if anyone has found any information on what this possibly can be, I feel liek I will be in a wheelchair in a year if this continues
Well I have noticed the same problem. I am 38 yrs old, active and work at UPS and regularly weightlift and do minor leg lifts to keep my body strong. About almost 2 yrs ago I got that sciatic nerve from twisting the wrong way. I took Ibuprofine 800 off and on, but really most of the guys at work just deal with it. I was okay with that until a few months ago I felt a tightening in my hamstring. Odd, but I stretched and had my youngest son stand on my hams and it really felt good and loose. Then around early March of 2010 the calf has become a problem on my left leg. My right side of my leg and rest of my body is still great, like I can stay up forever. My left leg where I feel the pain shooting down the side down to my calf is so tight at times I don't want to walk. When I go to sleep it feels great and when I wake up it's okay until the day wears on and the calf feels heavy and tight. An old timer told me at work this happened to his wife and hers went away. He told me I need to get Vitamin D with calcium.  I did back off on the milk and was not taking my vitamins regularly. I figured I did not need the Vit-D anymore. I used to take whey protein shakes because of all the nutrients in it for my workouts. I started on the protein shakes again because of the high calcium and potassium and b-vitamins etc.  I went to by gel inserts to wear at work in my shoes to give me more comfort from standing on that concrete at the airport all day. I will not do surgery, but I think it's time to see a chiropractor to see if I also have a compressed disc. When I was in high school, I was a running back and I got a hip pointer when I was tackled on my left side of my hip.  I am not sure if that has come back to haunt me. So far, I have been able to go to work everyday, and hit helps to sit down when I can. I do feel a little tingling in my left foot sometimes. I feel like a have a pinched nerve somewhere. I am trying to also lay off the soda and any caffeine because I read that it contributes to bone loss. Plus trying to decrease sodium intake in many of the canned foods I buy at the store. Some basic canned foods like corn have over 360mg of sodium, my spaghetti sauce over 630mg and my beans over 550mg. I am eating more salad too. I will post later if I feel differently now that i am back on the protein shake.
I have been expericing a dull aching throbbing pain in my calves and thighs. I have had epidural injections, MRI, leg doppler(ultra sound) for cirrculation and everything comes back ok. everday I get up and in just a few minutes of walking both my legs start hurting so bad. I have taken pain medication and it does not help. I am wondering if its something to do with the muscles in my calves and thighs? if anyone can give me some feed back on this I would appreciate it very much.
Hurting in Houston!!
Well I finally got the nerve to go to see the chiropractor near me. Most of the guys from work go there and the guy who told me to go, it's his dad's and brother's practice. I went in on Monday, May 17th, 2010 in the morning. Told him about the pain in my left leg shooting down to my feet. He had me stand and do different drills to get an idea of where the pain is when I twist and bend down. He x-rayed me at 9am and later that afternoon around 3pm I went back to go over the x-rays. I did have my spine out of alignment to the right a bit, not really the big problem and then we looked at the lower part of the spine near my tailbone and one of my discs is closer to another dic. it did not look that bad, but I could see where the possible pinching is coming from. Luckily we caught it in time, considered stage 1. If it goes to stage 2 and 3 it would just get worse. He then took me to the room , I laid on my front and he pushed on my middle back and upper back and l could feel the back loosen up and crack. He then got me on my side, putting one leg towards my chest and adjusted me and I really felt that one. Did not hurt, but I heard and felt my body adjust all over. I felt really loose and went home and slept for about 4 hours. I then went to work from 10pm to 6am at UPS. it is now almost 10am, and I feel good and uptempo.  I still have 29 sessions to go, but now I am on my way to recovery, I hope.  My leg does not hurt so much, but until we get my back aligned and re-x-rayed and the pain really goes away, I will be happy.   I take my protein shake in the morning and vitamin d-calcium gel pills to keep my bones strong. I continue to weight lift, but more carefully. I take my vitamins and try to lay off the caffeins. I do not feel tired right now and will go watch t.v. and then sleep before work tonight. I still feel a little throbbing in my left calf area. I will write back at the end of the month.
In January of 2010 I was at work doing some training which requires a lot of bending and kneeling. After two days I felt a lot of BURNING in my thigh, calf and lower back. This I taught was not uncommon for someone like me who is very unfit. What was surprising was the fact that with a couple of days I had numbness in my left leg and toes, groin area, buttocks and penis. I also noticed that it was difficult to pee and use the bathroom.

I went to the ER did an MRI which showed I had an ABNORMAL HETEROGENEOUS ENHANCEMENT OF THE CONUS MEDULLARIS AND THE CAUDA EQUINA ROOT. Their basic diagnostic was GUILLAIN-BAREE SYNDROME. So I did my doctors are saying that it is not Guillian-Baree.

I did perhaps all the possible blood work and test and they all came back negative. Have also started multi-vitamins, magnesium supplement, vitamin D supplement, tried heating, cold pads and massage. The heat and massage works, but the relief is temporary.

To date I cannot tell what type of day I will be having, one the pain and stiffness in minimal the next day it’s severe. I must say as well that the only medicine I was prescribe was pain killers which work ok but seem to cause constipation.

I have done 10 treatment of chiro and am now doing physico 2 times per week. Exercise use to work but now I’m not seeing too much benefit. I am yet to be diagnosed with anything so far also to say that my physio seems to think that there is some type of compression happening on my lower spine, which is causing the pain in my buttock and down my leg. This seems concur with most of the articles I have read, however, none of the Three MRI I did showed any kind of herniation of compression. (Sound really funny at times)
Questions, can the MRI be wrong? and does any one have similar symptoms?
Walk in and have a chiropractor x-ray u same day and go over it with you. I went to kaiser and they said everything was fine. Kaiser was looking more for anything broken. I saw my x-ray the same day and I was right I knew I had a minor compression, not as bad as other people, but if I continued to be stubborn and just take pain killers and the IBUProfane 800, I would not have cought this at such an early stage. Last friday, 5/21/2010 the chiropractor pulled my leg and I could feel the adjustment on my left hip. Since then along with my first week of going there, I have not needed any medication. The tightness in my calf has gone away and the bad pain along my left leg has subsided for now. I feel like I did before I had any problems, great.  For now, I continue to get better and work on the subluxation, they call it on the nerve that is being pinched(compressed by the disc). I am glad I saw the x-ray and went over it with him. Beware: some chiropractors send you out to get x-rays. Find one that does the x-rays, in house, at their own facility and who goes over it. Many of the doctors at the hospitals do not know what to look at. take care
I have been plagued with many of the symptoms mentioned above.  Got out of bed one morning and when I went to stand, my legs went out from under me.  I am going to make my long story short.  For a year, I went to doctors, tests, research ... no help.  So I started spending hours on the net searching.  I figured if it wasn't anything showing up in all the tests etc, it might be nutrition.  So, two months ago I put together the following daily routine.  

1,  starting first thing in the morning, drink at least 8 - 10 glasses of water a day from your tap.  (not bottled - full of its own problems) .

2.  start taking a good multi vitamin suppliment

3.  soake feet or bath in a mixture of epsom salts.  (search details) daily for at least two weeks then every two or three days.   Especiallly good after exercise.

4.  Look up benefits off INCLINE BED THERAPY or.  (Andrew K Fletcher)

5.  Eat clean.  Greatly reduce pop, coffee and junk foods.

I started this two months ago and at the time was a 10/10 for pain and soreness.  Now, I am about 2/10 and improving daily.  This won't cost much and will hopefully give you the relief that I am slowly experiencing.  Be patient as it was about two weeks +/- before I started to experience gradual relief.

All the best!
Being a tennis player, closing in on age 50, I ended up suffereing the symtoms (symptoms) of plantar
fascitis. Both feet and for almost a year. On occasion I felt a painful ache in my (right) calf
which recently returned with a vengance. The almost unbearable pain was like others described on this blog. Why my right leg is worse might have to do with driving, working the gas pedal.  
Here are some observations, theories I have:
  -The severe pain struck in the moring after working (computer, indoor, no exercise) for 4 days straight. Less exercise and less sun.
  - Worst attach when the weather was cloudy all week, again sun, vitamin D ?
  - I suspect that eating restaurant food may be a problem due to high salt (sodium?).
  - The pain seemed to creep on to my right shin bone which felt bruised, dull consistent pain for an entire day (yesterday, vitamin D deficiency?)
Dear diary: today I feel pain-free. Here is what I ate yesterday:
  - Bananas and calcium/magnesium supplements and vitamin C .
  - Vitamin D supplement capsule.
  - Ground flaxseed with milk as breakfast cereal (essential fatty acids).
I can only guess but suspect flaxseed may help and am not in the mood to re-discover the
aching pain so will continue with the above diet and hope to remain pain-free.  - Mr SanDiego
I am having the exact same problem with both of my legs...but mine just started today. It worries me because about 24 hrs prior to the almost unbearable pain, I had a burning sensation on the back of my leg...no pain at all then. I remember thinking why does my leg feel like it's hot? It wasn't actually warm to the touch but I was having the sensation that it was. I also remember having to try and position myself differently when driving, prior to the pain, because I couldn't get my right leg in a position that didn't feel like I was over-exerting it or something...it was the oddest feeling. I have had sore muscles before from running, exercising and even from a cramp but NONE of these things have happened. And this pain is ten times worse than a sore muscle. It is pretty much unbearable when I walk...I almost have to waddle. If anyone has a clue what may be causing this please post! :) I swear by Ibuprofen, for soreness especially, but an 800mg didn't even touch this pain.
Same Problem as all of you.  Been everywhere.  This all started after I was put on High Cholestral Med's.  I stopped taking them but the pain never went away.  Every day is different from burning sensations to sore lower back, knees...  my groin area feels like I pulled somethign when I didn't.   I have been to a Chiropracter which I think helped but not sure.   The MRI's show nothing wrong.   This is very strange.
I have been having similar symptoms. I have tight and painful calves that will twitch or spasm. They also feel like they are going to cramp, but never do. As a teacher the calf pain was a problem since I was constantly on my feet and at points could barely walk completely around my classroom. All of my bloodwork came back normal and my MRI of the spine came back normal with no pinched nerve. I went and saw a neurologist who put me on gabapentin 100mg 3 times a day. This helped a lot! I was able to start exercising again, running along with other exercises. As long as I was taking the medication I had no calf pain at all, but I did get daily headaches. The medication though affects everyone differently since my father who is on the same medication for his neuropathy has not headaches or side effects. My neurologist switched me to topamax, which is similar to gabapentin and should relieve the headaches that I was experiencing. I start the tompoamax tomorrow and will try to let you guys know how it helps. Hope this helps others out there.
I was walking on treadmill up to an hour a day and all of a sudden I wasn't able to walk a block without severe pain in both calfs.  I wake up in the night with charley horses in both legs and if I stretch my legs I can cause charley's just stretching.  My calfs muscles are so tight they sometimes hurt constently.  And I have noticed having loss of strength in other parts of my body. Yes I was on Levaquin for quite an extended period of time.  I also have salt cravings - and more salt seems to make things worse.  Would like to resume exercise but don't have the strength.  Any more ideas?
Laurie
should have added that I have tried adding more water as well as larger does of magnesium w/calcium - also potassium - I don't think vitamin or mineral deficiency has anything to do with this.
Hi everyone.  I've been experience burning pain in both calves and tightness as well.  On a pain scale of 1-10, when it's really bad, I'm at about a 7 or 8.  I'm convinced it's muscular and not related to anything else like joints or nerves.  The reason for the pain:  I think my calves are just over worked.  A little background on me: I'm a male, 39 who's really active and loves tennis.  My calves are really developed, one might say ripped.  Over the years, the larger muscles have worked way too hard as they've been compensating for weak ankles and those little balancing/stabilizer muscles around the ankles.  I've sprained my ankles more times than I care to remember.  I also tend to suponate (walk on the outside part of my foot).  These things have caused my calf muscles to "over react".  Now, they're just used to being in this state, and I'm currently trying to rewire them to relax again.  Here's what's worked for me.

If you don't have a foam roller, you should get one.  I like the black ones as they're the firmest.  I start off sitting with my legs out in front and gently roll my calves one at a time.  If yours are as sensitive as mine, you'll easily find "hot spots."  When you do, rest on them for 15-20 seconds.  Do this for about 5 minutes total.  

Next, do light calf stretches for the upper and lower calves.  Since your muscles are already hyper sensitive, I mean LIGHT stretching, going only until you start feeling the stretch and then maybe a little beyond that.  Do this for 20-30 seconds.

Next, I really suggest you get a TENS unit.  They're great!   You can get them on Amazon for $50-$100.  TENS your calf muscles while you ice them for 20 minutes.  The entire session takes about 30 minutes, and I like to do it in front of the TV at night.  Be warned, you may be sore afterwords.  

This is to help you with flare ups and well as maintenance.  To tackle the root of the problem, you'll really need to get in touch with your body and see which muscles are actually causing the pain.  Pain radiates and it may just be one or two muscles that are really in distress.  For me, I think it's the perineals and some smaller something or other around my achilles tendon.  I put the TENS pads directly over those areas and it rrrreally feels good!  Also, when I walk nowadays, I really focus on using my entire foot, letting it stretch and meld with the ground instead of hitting the ground like a stiff board.  That helps as it stretches the foot as I walk.  

I've improved about 60-70% over 2 days of doing this.  If it doesn't seem to progress more, I'm going to go to acupuncture.  If you find the right guy (for me this means someone who approaches it from a Western point of view, i.e., looking at the anatomy as a physical thing, not some energy field), he can do wonders.  I find acupuncture one of the most effective things against muscular ailments.  Good luck everyone!
Well

I am 35 year old male and have been having this issue of pain in my calves for the past 2-3 years. Had initially put it down to exercise but can't just be this. Used to find it more hurtful when on a plane journey but when wearing flight socks the pain would not be as bad/sore. I have been wearing the flight socks on a day on day off basis and it helps big time with the pain and soreness. Try it out. I am also icing and am going to try a tenas unit.

hpoefully some bit of a help
ACCUPUNCTURE works!  I have very very stiff calves that make it hard to enjoy life.   I herniated 2 discs in my low back 5 years ago.  Started running after year 4, but ended up with excrutiating nerve pain in my left foot after a few weeks.  It felt like electrical shocks of lightening shooting into my toes...worst pain ever.  Chiropractor could not figure it out as he tested me with the straight leg raises and no symptoms.  Called in his partner, same diagnosis, i.e. not related to the disc injury.  They recommended accupuncture and as I had nothing to lose, I tried it.  This was with a doctor of Chinese medicine so she knows what she's doing.  I have been seeing her for a year and a half now and am almost pain-free.  She needles my glutes, hamstrings, IT bands, and all the muscles in my calves.  She also uses electricity with the needles and the results are amazing.  I started out 3 times a week at first but am down to twice monthly now, or more if needed.  She said that tight calves are a common problem and just the way those muscles are.  I would highly highly recommend this treatment.  Also, regular stretching, walking, massage, at least 2 litres of water a day, good nutrition, low sugar intake.  The burning pain some posters were referring to is nerve pain, by the way.  Sometimes the muscles around the nerves are too tight and compress them.  I hope my post helps someone, and I wish you all the success in the world.
Good Morning, I am a dancing teacher and one of my students (top, top in her field) starts dancing and within a few minutes has severe burning at the front of her thighs. She has tried most things with stretching and chiropractic options, even taking time off i.e. the whole summer, still no improvement.
She has a shot at being a world champion, this needs to be fixed. It only happens when she is dancing, not while walking or sitting or standing still.
Many thanks
Last night I came across this forum and I really felt like I wasn't crazy for the first time. I have been dealing with this mystery calf pain since May. It started in one leg and was radiating and I went to the ER, they thought it was a DVT but tests revealed it wasn't and then a few days later it went to the other leg. Now it is localized in my calves and feels as if it is between the bone and the muscle. I have described it as someone is peeling my calf muscle from my leg like chicken. I am only 23 and I have been to every doctor and no one can come up with anything. I currently take high dose pain meds because if I don't I can not walk. Which does not do me any good when I have to look after my son. My doctor tried everything from lyrica to narcotics. and the narcotics are the only thing that gives me relief and it breaks through every once in a while. I do not want to be on meds for the rest of my life and I will not stop until I figure this out. I will update if I find anything but I am so thankful that there are others that are suffering like me and I am not crazy. Thank you all for posting your stories.
Hi folks
I to suffer with chronic pain in my legs and hips. Muscles very sore. Tenderness when I lie on my sides in bed. It has been diagnosed with two specific blood tests as Poly Myalgia Rheumatica. It usually hits people late in life . I'm 55 so not the norm. It is a deep inflammation in muscles and is usually treated with Steroids (Prednisalone) Trouble is some have it for a few weeks and others can suffer for life. Steroid treatment gives very quick relief but large doses have severe side affects. My guess is at least some of you are suffering from this disorder. I hope this helps. It is shear hell to live with and severely limits your life. It can be better some days than others. The main symptom is extreme stiffness on getting up in the morning with alot of pain , also rising from sitting such as driving in the car. Good luck all and my sympathies.  
i have been told that stress and cause the muscles to tense therefore causeing muscle pain. my doctor said my other joints in my body dont hurt and i can bend my ankles and kness fine even though the pain is still there and when he squeezed my muscles they hurt... just a possibility.. baths help which is shooting towards muscular also i cant sleep because of it and my feet hurt and mornings are very hard... not thrilled about an anxiety med so i am dealing with it right now and probally going to get blood work done to make sure..
Hey everyone-

I'm glad to see that i'm not the only one going through this issue. I'm 21 years old and have had calf stiffness and cramping sensations for the past two years. I used to play volleyball everynight my freshman year of college and the first day back my sophomore year both my calves locked up and cramped for over an hour! It was the worst pain i've ever been through. I've had cramps before but nothing that has brought me to tears like that night. Ever since that happened my calves have been stiff and if I walk for long periods of time they seem to get tight with the feeling of wanting to cramp. When the seasons change my legs also get irritated with the weather going from hot to cold or vice versa.

I've been to many doctors and no one seems to have an answer to what is happening. My parents keep telling me that an answer will be found but so far nothing. I've had my blood drawn many times, been tested for lupus, my nerves have been tested through a shock test and i've seen a rheumatologist. The worst part of seeing all these doctors is getting that "its never going to be cured " feeling. I started crying in front of my last primary doctor before she left the facility about the pain and she gave me psychotic therapy papers to sign and told me maybe what I was feeling was all in my head. I don't see her anymore and I can positively say that what I am feeling is real and not made up!

I have diabetes and have been tested for circulation problems as well which again came back negative. I really hope something can be found to end the pain were all going through.

The only thing that has helped me so far has been a pill called gabapentin. It hasn't taken away the total feeling but has masked it to a point where I can actual go out and not worry about my legs possibly getting stiff and cramping. It worked for me for about 4 months but the pain is back so i'm going to ask my doctor if I can up my dosage hopefully it will work again!

If anyone has found something better or thinks they know of something I could try I'm all ears. I'm 21 and just want to be able to go out with my friends without the fear of the pain reoccuring! As of right now I can't even excercise without my calf muscles tightening up. Going from constantly playing volleyball to not at all has really been no fun.
i've had similar symptoms of pain and muscle soreness, but not just in my calves.  mostly from my calves and thighs up to my hips.  i read an interesting article about the role of magnesium in fibromyalgia and the use of magnesium to relieve the pain.  if you think you might have fibromyalgia, check this article out.  it is too long to post, but here is the link:  http://web.mit.edu/london/www/magnesium.html
Has anyone checked out electrolyte imbalance?   I'm not sure, but I think that is what my problem is. Both big muscles on my arms started to hurt, then the front muscles of my thighs. It felt like the shin splints I remember from running in high school. then the muscles of my buttocks (in pairs) started to hurt. I thought it was rheumatism until the muscles across my rib cage began to ache as well. Then I knew it was something else.

I've been taking potassium gluconate (595 mg 3% daily value- I read that it is hard to O.D. on potassium because an over dose taken orally will cause vomiting-please do your own research.)  two pills at at a time two times a day with a pint of water about a half hour after a meal (lunch and dinner) and the pain is getting much less.

I also have been adding calcium citrate with Magnesium, Zinc, Manganese Copper and Boron (Citracal plus magnesium) with food at dinner time (2  500 mg pills to get 100% daily value)  At lunch I take one 27 mg tablet of iron (being a woman still menstruating) with my food. [I don't know that I'd do an iron pill every day- When my stool turns dark, I'm knowing I get enough- I usually cook in a cast iron skillet, but we recently got some new nonstick skillets- I'm going back to the cast iron.]  

I hope this helps someone else. I still have pain in my right arm muscle, my left buttock and the right front thigh. But it is livable, and I'm still taking the potassium gluconate.

With Respect,
Michelle Priddy
hi my name is allan i have had this pain for a while been to all kinds of doctor lot of them think i want pain pills they are not working i had a doctor that told me two of my disk in my neck were pushing on my spinal cord and causing the pain so i had the sergery (surgery) two disk out a titanium plate put in and here i am 4 weeks later still hurting and 50 thousand in det went to see him this morning and he said  that this is not in his field of work needed to go see a leg doctor so be careful who you listen to i wish i could help one person you dont know how bad this pain is until you live with it every day and how it ruins your life and your fun if someone find a answer contact me at ************* please help
CIt sounds though there is a lot of different problems here.  All with different solutions.

I have pain in both calves day to day and certain show styles tend to exasperate the issue more than others. Interesting about the croc style shoes. I was wearing these for 3 days prior to commencement of the now daily ongoing pain though there is other sandle style footwear that appear to compound the issue.

I think some of the issues here are related to the white tissue (fascia) that encases the muscles in the legs.  

I am going to try Bowen therapy because this treats this style of issue.  My wife had it done for another issue; it looks like complete whack-job massage but solved her issues.

I think some people have torn the muscle encasement or need it realigned. HTH
This is directed to those that are suffering muscle pain. I had muscle ache that was so bad that I couldn't lift my leg to tie my shoe. It was like I had no strenght left in the muscles. It would come on about 2 days after exercising and then never went away until i stopped all activity for 3-4 days. Then as soon as I started doing anything it would happen again. Even sitting in a car for an hour would be unbearable and I couldn't get out and walk.

What I found  was that I had a magnesium deficiency. I suffered for about 3 months and over the past month that I have been using the magnesium the ache has slowly gone away. I think the term is delayed onset muscle soreness. This can happen to anyone exercising but my pain was off the charts. I was told that testing for magnesium might not show a deficiency. Pills might also not work since the problem is deep in the muscles. There is magnesium cream that you can rub right on the muscles. I have been taking chelated magnesium pills for about 5-6 weeks now and I am also back to normal. I have also found out from others around my age that they have had the same symptoms and they also used magesium. If you try magesium make sure you use chelated. The magnesium you get at the drug store is not absorbed and pretty much useless.

My calves, ankles, and feet started hurting last May and really haven't let up since except for short periods.  The pain isn't excruciating, just annoying.  I went initially to my family doctor who sent me for x-rays.  The x-rays showed that I am flat-footed and he said I should get some orthodic inserts for my shoes, which I did and they do seem to help to a certain extent.  He also referred me to an orthopedist who looked at my x-rays and listened to my symptoms and sent me to physical therapy and a neurologist.  The PT helped somewhat and strengthened my weak ankles.  The deep-tissue work the gal did on the in and outsides of my calves and ankles hurt pretty bad but loosened up the muscles for a couple of days.  She also told me to roll my calf muscles on a foam bolster, which I admit I haven't done.  The orthopedist also sent me to a neurologist who did a nerve test and told me that I have Tarsal Tunnel syndrome, which is like Carpal Tunnel only in your ankles.  It's basically a pinched nerve.  He said that I could get a nerve block, but I don't think that's a good idea because it kills the nerve.  I ended up making an appointment with a local chiropractor, who did the whole x-ray workup and charted a plan to get me aligned.  He gives my ankles some pretty good pops which relieves the pain/pressure, sometimes for a couple of days.  My family doctor did give me some Voltaren Gel which helps alleviate the pain temporarily.  He said to use it every six hours...

There were several things that were going on at the onset of the pain...I was walking/jogging with my dog in not so great shoes.  I flew on a long flight.  I started taking a different medication in Jan 2010 and thought that maybe it could build up and cause the problem but my doctor said that the medicine could not be the problem.  I also had a pair of very flat sandals that I loved and should not have been wearing...but even with all these things, you would think that the pain would be gone by now.  It's been almost a year.

I do yoga almost daily which helps stretch out the muscles and feels great.  It also helps for me to walk/move.  It definitely hurts more when I sit too long and also when I lay in bed.  I also listen to music as a form of therapy and that helps too.  A little Incubus goes a long way!!! :)

Anyway, thanks for listening.  I hope we can all find relief one day.  I ordered some magnesium and will add it to my calcium and vitamin D-3 regimen.

Love and light!

Kelly
I had the same problem...but I dont anymore,,, Mine was related to the way my body was digesting and breaking down the protein and also lack of protein. You might eat a lot of protein but if your body is not digesting and breaking it down properly your muscles will be sore and it shows mostly in calves. Stretching helps as well

This could also be related to parasites or even Candida, they tend to stick to your muscles tissues and feed off of them,, there are many websites online with questionnaire that will let you know if you do have any of them

Blood work should show a high number of muscles break down... MD Doctors will ignore that so you are better off with a ND.

Also, for lady's,,, if they are wearing high heels it could be the shoes as well.. specially if the stiffness is toward the bottom of the calves by the heels and Achilles tendons
HI
I have been suffering for the past 10 years with lower leg pain. I am so glad to finally find a place were others have been threw the same. Like others I have had every test you could think of. I have just came back from my latest test a coranary angiogram on my heart. And just like every other test it was clean.I dont know were to go from here. Ive checked everything and then some. I spent 4 days at the mayo clinic in rochester were every test came back clean. There was one thing that I found worked. Back when I was researching fibromyalgia I came accross a study on mestinon. As you all know with the amount of pain you deal with daily you will try anything no matter the price or whether it has any chance of working. You just have to keep trying. I had to order mestinon online because no doctor would prescribe it. It is a drug used fo a nerve disorder and also for blood preasure when you stand up. After 4 days it started working and 2 weeks later it stoppped working. If you want to try this.use 60mg imediate release every 6 hours or 3 times a day. I just want to finish by saying that I cant believe how many.posts there are on this site and that no doctor can find an answer. I think we should all band together and demand something be done because I for one am at a.point where painkillers do absolutely nothing an I cannot take anymore. Ten years is to long and I am seriously thinking its just to much pain everyday. This is just not a life I want..
I am going to repeat what Ray said back in 2008.

Furthering my investigations into muscle pains/cramps, I have found another reliever that may help----Magnesium sulphate,Otherwise known as Epsom salts.It is recommended that one to two cupfuls are added to a bath full of water(Warm).This apparently draws out any Lactic acid from the muscles.

This helps sore muscles, leg cramps, sciatica, sacroiliac joint pain. I rinse and wash in it too when I cant get in the tub. I put a handful of Epsom salt in to a bowl of hot water swirl it around to dissolve then i rinse myself off with it, I do this 2 to 3 times and sometimes i wash with the salts was well, you will feel a difference when you do this.
You may all want to look to your thyroid and/or adrenal fatigue for your answers.  I have recently come off my Thyroid medication (Synthroid) after 17 years.  I was misdiagnosed for a number of years and after looking for some support online, I came across "Stop the Thyroid Madness".  If you think you have been tested properly for your thyroid, think again.  Most doctors don't test properly as you will find out when you go to this site.  Your problems most likely have something to do with a Iodine deficiency or some other mineral or vitamin deficiency........I suggest you seek out a doctor that believes in more natural cures, such as an Osteopath........definitely not an endocrinologist as they generally do not run adequate tests........You will learn from this site what tests to request for your thyroid and adrenals, as I did.  I just got my results back (they took 15 vials of blood) and found I was way off the charts for thyroid malfunction and adrenal failure (this, after being on thyroid medication for 17 years!).  This is not an easy fix, but the hardest part is finding a doctor that will work with you to find the solution and, unfortunately, you have to do most of the "leg" work yourself, but this site will help tremendously.  I also recommend the book so you can highlight and take it with you to the doctor.  Good Luck!
I've had recurring mild pains in both calves for about a year.  After reading all your stories, I feel very lucky that my pain is mild and I have a way to manage it.  Let me tell you what works for me: water.

I have found that as long as I drink 3 liters of water per day, there is no pain in my calves.  I do have to make sure I take 600mg of Magnesium (as Malate) and 1200mg of Calcium (as Citrate) every day, in divided doses (1/3 in the morning, 1/3 lunch, 1/3 dinner) because with all that water, I would wash out all my electrolytes.  I also take extra sodium as table salt, but if I overdo it, I get headaches and my blood pressure goes up.

I've had lots of blood tests and many doctors telling me that there's nothing wrong with me, but I know there's something wrong.  I should have to drink 3 liters of water to not have pain in my calves.  In fact, if I drink less than 2.5 liters per day, my forearms hurt also.

Here are four things I know for a fact:
1. low platelet count (88 to 112),
2. large platelets (shows up as MPV - mean platelet volume - on tests),
3. tests came up positive for necator americanus (which has been known to leave the gut and enter muscles... a cartoon on the CDC website show them in the forearms and calves!),
4. mild adrenal insufficiency (not enough for regular doctors to take notice, but I did a 24 hour urine collection, got a hormone shot, and then collected another 24 hour sample... the result showed virtually no rise in any of my adrenal hormones),
5. degenerated L4-L5 disk... narrowed... I've noticed that when I get dehydrated, it's very easy to hurt my disks and get sciatica down both legs,
6. IBS-D for the last 4 or 5 years.

My theories:
1. Low platelet counts typically cause the body to make larger platelets... maybe these large platelets are the cause of my pain whenever I get even a little dehydrated... maybe I need to stay *overhydrated* to prevent the pain?).
2. Necator Americanus in the muscles?  Maybe some other parasite?
3. Maybe my pain is just cramping from dehydration, but my adrenals are just not making enough ADH (anti-diuretic hormone), so water in, water out.
4. Maybe the pain in my calves is due to compression of the nerves between the L4 and L5 vertebrae... which becomes a problem when I get dehydrated and the disks shrink?

Do any of you have low platelet counts?
Does drinking extra water help your pain?
Do any of you have narrowed L4-L5 disks?
Have any of you been tested for adrenal fatigue?

Prior to 4 or 5 years ago, I've been remarkably healthy (I'm now 50 years old).  That IBS should start at 45, low platelet count at 47, and this calf pain at 49... seems like it's not a coincidence.
A lot of these comments sound like kidney related issues, specifically rhabdomylosis, which I had as a teenager.  Somehow the virus I got, started breaking down my muscle tissue, leading to very high CPK, creatine phospho kinase, levels.  That is the way to check if this is the problem.

Apparently, people who run, or who are very active athletically, sometimes get this condition.  I used to get what I thought were relapses occasionally, when back of calves were so tender, that it hurt to walk.  No more (maybe because of healthier diet?)

http://www.detoxmama.blogspot.com/
Get your CPK level checked and quickly.  
   I've had this problem for years.  I used to model and noticed when resting, it felt as though my calf muscles were working out even though I wasn't exercising!  like the neurons were constantly firing off, the pain and ache were hellish.  I would have to get someone to actually stand on my calves to relieve the tightness and ache.  
  Then I went to my docotr and got a bottle full of Botox injections in both my calves, the relief was almost immediate. There was a noticeable tingling then no ache, no pain! And my calf muscles started to shrink.  It was 2000 dollars for the initial injections, then a 1000 dollars every other month. Give it a try, it is such a relief for me.   xoxo
well i have read all thses post and i havent found a good diagnose i have been hospitalized for two days and the only time my calves havent havent hurt in a year is after i got morphin injections every four hours....i have all the blood work and all came back good. i had a spinal tap but havent gottn results back yet..i do have sevear restless leg it gets in my forarms and hands also, cymbalta seems to help with that but my calves never stop aching. i have been off work for 4 weeks now and my neurologist hasnt got a clue.
I have same problem, but I think I have narraowed it down. At the exact same time that this started occurring I purchased a Nissan versa and a new recliner. It is either the way my feet rest on the floor board or the way the relicer when reclined hits the back of my calves. The car sites lower that the trucks I am use to driving and the recliner hits my calves right on the muscle where as the one before allowed my whole leg to rest.
Any thoughts?
Have you checked in adrenal insufficiency?  My calves have been sore lately for no apparent reason (I stretch & exercise as always) and my chiropractor thought it sounded like adrenals not working properly due to high stress and maybe dehydration
Wow!  So glad you posted and so happy to have read your example.  I have soreness in my left calf accompanied at times by cramping in my left foot.
I occasionally experience this in my right leg and foot as well.  I started taking magnesium citrate for this problem.  
The interesting thing is that during this past week I was very busy with work and did not take the magnesium supplement.  I felt no leg pain.  I painted yesterday and figured since I would be standing for long periods of time I better take my magensium.  I actually took an additional pill, 3 instead of 2.
I got home last night and my calf was extremely sore. I am almost 50, in good shape.  I have exercised my entire life am not overweight.  
I would not normally be sore from the standing required for painting, so I did not think that was the reason for my soreness.
After reading the description of what you experienced from excessive magnesium intake from your 4 bananas, I am starting think there is a connection between the magnesium supplements I have been taking and my symptomatic leg pain as well.
Thank you for posting this, and giving me a different avenue to pursue for answers.
I will follow up and let all know what I find.
well I'm 34 years old and like most on this form I have pain in both my calves.. @ night I have to keep them moving or they hurt worse my husband calls me a wiggle worm n bed... and since my hysterectomy 3 months ago it has gotten worse.I told my Dr and she's clueless..from reading this form and seeing someone talk about low mag..  I looked @ the low magnesium symptoms and THATS ME!  I eat lots of veggies but guess I'm Heading out in the AM to find Magnesium pills! its worth a try..

I read everyones comments. I have to say I am experiencing the same thing. I hate that cramping feeling I would get every early morning while I am still sleeping. And it really hurts, I cry all the time. I wish it would stop. Whenever I would stretch or point my toes forward I would feel my calves hurting. The cramps would last for 5 minutes tops. And at that I feel like dying. Other times I would just feel my calves and they would feel bruised. Massaging them would only make them worse. I do not know what to do. I take all kinds of vitamins but nothing seems to help. What is really wrong with me?
I have had tightness in my outside right calf and front thigh and side. Went to my PT and she found a restriction on my upper left side slightly to the back of my thigh. She worked on it and it feels better after one session. Also I am going to see an osteopath, someone who is an MD but also deals with finding the cause not just trying to cover it up with medicine.
Look into Magnesium Definiency or low magnesium levels- especially if you drink alcohol, exercise or there can be many reasons for a Magnesium deficiency or low magnesium.
"61% of the US population does not meet the US RDA for levels of magnesium".
My mum always get cramping in her calves and feet at night and it stops very quickly when she takes magnesium and calcium drink.
I'm a 29 year old male and I have been experiencing the same thing for 6 months now. I have extreme tightness, pain, heaviness, soreness, and cramping in both of my calves, both knees, and the soles of my feet. 3 nights ago I woke up in such intense pain when the muscles on bottom of both of my feet were camping like crazy. It was horrible. When I curled my toes it the muscles on the bottom of my feet would cramp and feel like severe muscle sprain or pulled muscle.  Also there has been nights when both of my calves would do the same thing and there has been a few times where it hurt so bad that I could walk. I tried stretching and everything but it doesn't help. What is going on? I have googled the symptoms and I found out that it might be called nocturnal leg cramps.Yet my legs hurt day and night. So I don't think that's it.
I apologize for all the typos. I posted that comment on my smart  phone and that auto correct messed everything up.
I'm 29.  There is something truly relieving about reading all of your posts.  I have been a runner all of my life.  I did an intense all day run that I was not prepared for and then took a long plane ride.  I got off the plane with severe leg cramps in both legs when I walked.  This lasted for about a week.  It went away but was never completely gone.

2 years after the big race, I was mowing my lawn after being sick with a bad sore throat.  I had taken Levaquin (2 pills) that day (not sure if it's related), but the cramps came back in full force.  It's now been 2 months and there is no sign of recovery.  I'm running the same gammet as you all--drinking more water, taking anti-inflammatories, PT, ortho docs, Icy Hot, different shoes, orthotics, massages, the stick, stretching, yoga, walking, biking.  Nothing has offered any relief.  The only thing that helped quite a bit was taking Naproxin twice a day (500 mg).  It helped, but the cramping didn't go away entirely.

Now, I've gotten stressed majorly and depressed.  Sounds strange but I have even thought this was something sent by God to punish me.  I really take strength in reading all of your posts because I know there are others out there who suffer the same things.  I wish you all the best.

My next step is to visit a pyschologist tomorrow to get help in dealing with this.  Doctors and PT's don't take me seriously and everyone shrugs this off and says time will make it heal.  I guess we'll see.  In the meantime, a little Xanax or anti-anxiety medication might offer some relief from the stress of the situation.  

The orthopaedic shoes look great too at work.  I think I might consider a wheelchair next.  
I know I just posted a second ago, but I just wanted to say that if anyone would like to talk about this, please send me a PM!  It has really helped hearing other people talk about this.  I think the main thing that is reassuring is that other people have this problem and have learned to still live their lives.  It's something to manage, but life can still be lived.
I have suffered these strange episodes of sporadic leg and knee pain since age 2. I was born with minimal clubfoot and wore casting on my ankles. My mother always said this was just growing pains and I'm 23 and still experiencing this!This would and does occur in either leg or in both legs.  When taking OCT pain relievers, wraps, and creams didn't work any longer I decided to see a doctor. I went to see a family doctor at age 17 without any resolution, all I got was a prescription anti-inflammatory. In a way I gave up trying because I thought  there would be no resoultion. I finally went to an orthopedic doctor. With nothing show on the X-Rays, I was given no real answer once again. He suggested orthodics that were $50, months of physical therapy, and pricy anti-inflammatory meds. I thought I would try to follow his advice with some hope for relief, but no true relief. I decided to visit a chiropractor with just one more shot of relief. I was very skeptical of chiropractic care because I had never been before, but it was temporary relief! I was glad that something relieved me for a little while, but still have no answer as to what this is. I know my symptoms are usually brought on in cold and damp temperatures/weather, when I have been on my feet alot, and when I am very tired. Other than the chiroprator, getting warm to hot bath soaks are the only relief I have had. I really would like to know what this is and why.The latest I have tried is having my family doctor run a CPK, maybe that will give me some answers!Other than my family, I feel no one really believes me! Any suggestions?
side calve muscle pain in both legs
by dodgedude38, 3 minutes ago
Tags: pain in both legs
i was just on here looking for answers when i ran across all of your post's. i started at the gym 3 weeks ago,and i also get bad pain in the outter sides of both calve muscles moreso shortly into a jog. i have no idea what this is or how to correct it. ive noticed this before when i started fast walking with my wife. thinking about making an appointment with my dr. but dont want to pay for a i dont know answer. any help would be greatly appreciated!
Did you try magnesium?  If your very active you may need more of it.  Mg is a muscle relaxant - so not enough = tight muscles.  The ratio people need is 2-3 times as much calcium.  You can take as much as you want, but too much will give you the runs.  B vitamins help with the uptake of magnesium as well, so find a B Complex (don't take them seperately) supplement.
Did you try magnesium?  If you're very active you may need more of it.  Mg is a muscle relaxant - so not enough = tight muscles - especially noticeable in the calves.  The ratio people need is 2-3 times as much calcium.  You can take as much as you want, but too much will give you the runs.  B vitamins help with the uptake of magnesium as well, so find a B Complex (don't take them seperately) supplement.  Take at least 100 Mg to start if you are deficient.
Sorry - that was - at least 1000 mg to start.  Most likely you may need to do this a couple times a day if you are low.

Magnesium deficiencies are very common, especially the more active a person is.  
I have all these same symptoms, I am 72 years old and just started this year, I feel fortunate that I did not have these symptoms before. I feel for all you young people out there. I have tried everything, but I read in medicine article in 1200 ad. that people have complained about the same symptoms. What the physicians prescribed, not drinking the water that the populace was drinking, and that it had something to do with, high sugar content, water from lakes, etc. What they prescribed was boiled rice, less fruit, unless it was apples, especially drink spring water and nothing else. Well as for me I will start this regiment as soon as possible. Been to the Dr. acupuncture, etc etc...nothing seems to help. Well wish me luck, I shall try eating less process foods, sugars, and drink plenty of Spring water, and eat apples.....Pray this works......makes sense though.
I used to have cramps about 2-3 times during sleep every night for many years and then I came across this magic remedy searching online. I still fail to understand the logic of what I am doing to avoid leg cramps for past over a year now. It is working very well so far without a single day of cramp. Here is the remedy: just open a new bar of bath soap (any brand or type will work) and place it under your bed sheet near the leg side. let it stay there all the times near your legs, underneath the sheet. Cramps will just disappear. I still get them when I am lying on my family room sofa while watching TV, but never while on bed. You don't need to replace the soap bar as it does not get over, just change the sheets in the normal way as and when required. Post your experience if you try it.

Good luck

Good luck
For about two years now I have been having ankle pain that would be so bad at night, that it would wake me up from my sleep. It comes and goes. Sometimes I will go months and not hurt at all. Now I am having calf pain as well. The best way I can describe the way my calves feel, is the soreness you get in your calves after having a charley horse, but I have not had any charley horse cramps. The calf pain comes and goes, it doesnt always happen at night as with my ankle pain, and I have noticed that its worse after I have been sitting for extended periods of time. It can hurt so bad, that its hard to put weight on it. My calves have been hurting me off and on all day today. I went outside earlier and as I stepped off of a step and put weight on my right leg, the worst pain shot up out of my calf... now I am hurting all the way up my right leg. This doesnt make any sense to me at all. I have no idea what is going on.
i also have these symptoms...i dont know  what the heck is going on.. calf muscle sore to the touch.. and back of my legs as well.. i cant seem  to find anything from doctors.. what have you found ..lots of money and test  ..nothing..tom..
I've had a lot of the symptoms described here. About a year ago I started wearing Terra Plana "barefoot technology" shoes. That has really changed things for me. I would imagine the "Five Fingers" shoes would help too, but I don't fit into those well. We think all the arch supports and orthotics help us, but I found that over time the "barefoot" walking has made my calves much better. I also found that a very specific type of massage called "Active Release Technique" or "Energy Release" helped a lot too.
I amd a 39 year old, white male who having read the symptoms above and began nodded enthusiastically since I have been experiencing the same thing.  Here is what just worked for me...

PROBLEM:  focused muscular pain on the outside of both calves that was exceptionally strong.  I found it not able to be releaved by massage and it was particularly bad after not having moved for a few minutes or hours.  First thing in the morning was the worst, but even standing up from a seated position. I walked with a pronounced limp.   It also began to move up into my thighs a tough and was focused on the lower part of each outer thigh.  This was not as severe and it felt like a bruise on each thigh.

SOLUTION:  based on what I read here, I figured that I'd try a supplement or two.  I originally thought I must have been low on Potassium, but that wasn't it.  I went to Walgreens drugstore and picked up a single supplement called "Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc".  (It was the only one they had with Magnesium in it.  Each pill contains 33% of the FDA recommended levels of Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc and also contains 50% of the Vitamin D3.  Well, after a couple days of taking this supplement 3x per day, my legs have dramatically improved.  I would say the pain level went from a pain level of 7 out of 10 down to about a 2 out of 10 and it is improving daily.  I'm not a big holistic guy or a supplement guy, but it appears that my leg pain originated from a deficiency in Magnesium.  I just wanted to share that information here since it could help others experiencing the same thing.  Good luck!
Do you find yourself drinking much more water and peeing much more frequently also. Is your pee almost clear?  If so your body may not be using its water properly, lack of water will give you cramps.
Diabetes insipidus may be your problem, Yes it is a form of diabetes but is so much less severe than the other types of diabetes and can be easily controlled. Google it to get more info.
My father always had these severe leg cramps &I knots, he was told it was a potassium shortage. He says eating s banana helps. I now have this problem but I had an almost crippling back pain a week ago, related hum???
Oh forgot I'm 38a yrs old too.
I've also had muscle cramping for years and found the cure.  I stopped drinking coffee.  Coffee is a stimulant that depletes your vitamins and can reek havoc on your body.  If your a coffee drinker.  Give it up.  All you have to loose is your pain.  Good luck to all of you.
A wonderful cure for cramps assorted is quinine
Comments about anxiety are not helpful.  Do you not think these people who are truly physically suffering are not contending with enough without your useless comments.  The physical pain often causes anxiety, but most often it is NOT the root.  Have some empathy!
HORMONES.
Hormones leave the body through the toes. Wierd but true.
It travels down the legs to do so.
I was getting hormone injections and then started getting the same pain as the majority. Doc didnt link the problem.She thought it was unrelated.
3 month of calf pain and then i stopped taking the injections and the pain gradually went away.
my condition is called hypothyroidism.
I pretty much dont have enough hormones and this was boosting my levels..
Get your hormones checked out.
Im starting the injections next week again after 1 year without.
will post in a month to see how im going.
I am having the exact same thing, They are thinking it is FM. I am 20 years old and have been dealing with this for over a year. It first started when I was diagnosed with Crohns disease. Cant find out anything that helps and now they are thinking that Narcotic pain killer is the best way to go. I have an extremely high tolerance for them so this is scary if anyone knows anything please let me know.
I have very painful tightness and burning sensations on the outer sides of both my calfs when i walk, I had to do alot of my own thinking to find a solution, if any of you have high arches in your feet this may be the cause. It turned out i was walking more on the outside of my feet my whole life causing irregular muscle function. A pair of specialized orthotic shoes helped this problem dramaticly. I hope this helps at least one of you, and good luck
Oh my goodness. this information is overwhelming-from disorders to diabetic symptoms to vitamin deficiencies.
These are my exact symptoms-first step when i get out of bed-i want to totally scream and cry!  My calves are so tight that massages two days in a row were unsuccessful. my massage therapist was blown away by how tight the skin and muscles were-even commenting she was afraid to tear my muscles by digging in any deeper.  i've soaked in epsom salts-elevate my legs onto a pillow before bed with a heat pad-even tried lower back and glute massages to try loosening muscles in legs.  I am not getting any relief-the burning sensation is intensifying-some cramping in my feet-but it's mostly the tight very sensitive to the touch calf muscles.  i haven't over exurted-no illnesses-no change in diet.  i'm scared to contact a doctor seeing that so many do not have a certain diagnosis.
Hi Guys- First off let me reiterate other's relief at finding a good conversation about these symptoms. Though it sounds like there a few conditions floating around in this thread, I found answers here and decided to share my experience. Background: 31 year old male in good health. Workout but don't run. About 2 weeks ago I started experiencing a burning pain in the sides of my calves. As stated by others it felt much like a lactic acid buildup. After cruising this forum and deciding I had every terrible disease under the sun I decided to start simply. As posted by another user here I gave the Magnesium deficiency route a shot. I started taking a Magnesium/Calcium/Zinc pill 3 times daily with meals. No joke- I started feeling relief after a few hours. Which doesn't even seem possible, I know. Since starting the Magnesium the pain has gone from a solid 7 to at most a 1.5 or 2. So that seems to be the answer for me. Also- I drink Diet Coke. A lot of it. I know this is very likely the culprit in this situation as I've read it prevents absorption of things like Potassium and Magnesium. I need to give it up, I know. My last vice, and a hard one to give up. Anyway- I hope everyone else finds some relief. Best of luck!
Hello Everyone:  I too suffer from leg pain that wakes me up out of a sound sleep.  May I suggest looking at your seating position at work.  If you sit in front of a computer all day and then again at home, the sitting position may be causing the pain.  I sit for long periods doing paperwork at three different nursing facilities and the seating is uncomfortable to begin with but it is what it is.  A second suggestion is to look at your footwear.  Several years ago I began to have pain in my R hip.  I had a new pair of athletic shoes I wore for work.  As the week progressed, the pain started going down my leg.  A physical therapist I worked with pointed out the shoes could be causing the problem by encouraging the outward rolling motion of my foot, throwing my hip out of alignment.  I bought a different pair of shoes with better support and the pain went away.  Just a thought.
This is for everyone that is experiencing leg pain or all-over muscle pain.  I'll make this post short because there is much that you will have to research to see if this will help you.  This site is the most helpful: http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html.  Pay particular attention to symptoms, diet and what can be done to alleviate your specific problem.  None of us will have the same symptoms so read this article with an open mind and definitely do further research including showing this article to your doctor.  At first I thought that my symptoms were something that I would be saddled with for the rest of my life since so many of you had seen their physicians and none of them could arrive at a diagnosis. In my case, after about ten days I feel almost back to normal and have started lightly exercising. Something I hadn't been able to do because I was in so much pain.  

Best of luck to you all.
Cheers,  Ben Martinez, retired nurse.
P.S. try alternative products, consult with a knowledgeable person in a health food store for advice.
I have pain and tightning in the bottom of my legs, its worse in the morning and if I sit for too long at night, I looked for an answer online and found that it may be a vitamin D deficiency, so I went to the doctors and had a blood test done and sure enough I am vitamin D deficient, I am taking vitamin D now and hoping that it fixes it.
I used to have this problem (both calves feeling so tight that I actually had trouble walking).  As someone else mentioned, it is almost as though I did a really hard calf workout (even though I did not).  The problem went away and I never really gave it much thought, until it came back recently - after being gone for about 2 years.  In my case, I have definitely narrowed it down to vitamins / minerals.  My wife is a lifestyle coach and she had be on a custom vitamin blend that I took every morning religiously (liquid vitamins), though I really didn't know what was in them.  When the problem came back I mentioned it to her and she had just switched me from the custom vitamins I was on (whch included a multi-mineral) to more of an anti-aging one, which was really geared more towards bone and joint health.  She ordered me up my old one and within 2 or 3 days no more calf pain / tightness.  If anyone wants I can try to figure out EXACTLY what vitamins are in my custom blend, but I will say in general that I relate this symptom directly to the minerals portion of my vitamins.
For the past 4 months iv been suffering wwith bad back' physician said its pulled and strained muscles on the lower spine, then these past 3 weeks I'm getting constant pains in my calfs and its agonising I can't sleep at night , they couldn't find any problems with my back from my mri scan. Iv been back to my gp who has put me on muscle relaxers.. Iv been on painkillers u name it I have had it! I'm 19 and want to be myself again! If anyone knows any advice please help!!!
I am 21 now, but I was a very dedicated cheeleader in high school, was varsity captain until I was out on medical leave. During basketball season, my team would practice every day for 1-2 hours and then if there was a game,we would go to it after practice. So we were working out and exercising for more then 6 hours a couple days a week. One week I noticed that my calves were sore, so I thought that I had just over done it, so I stretched and went back to my routine of cheer. Later in the week it got continually worse, so i asked my couch if I could just not run, she looked at me and told me to run. So I did. The day after I couldn't walk. I was taken to my doctor that day and he did blood work, but said I had just dehydrated my muscles and to NOT even consider walking, this was from Friday to Sunday. On Monday my doc admitted me to the hospital, I had several test done, including an MRI, a lower lumbar puncture, a cat scan, a muscle scan and umpteen more. They never came out with a for sure diagnosis. I was in the hospital for 4 days and was put in a wheel chair for 4 months. The closest they got to diagnosing me was saying that I had highly severe shin splints and that I came with in a hair of ripping everything away from my bones from knees to ankles in both legs. Now with being in a wheel chair for 4 months that should have solved the problem. Not even close.I have residual pain in both calves ranging from mild to severe depending on what exercise I do. IF ANY. I also have found that i can not tell the difference between hot and cold unless it is extreme cold or extreme heat, and even then it feels mild. This is only on the backs and sides of my calves. So I am pretty sure I have nerve damage. I am so so so glad I found other people with problems like mine, I was beginning to think It was all in my head. LOL. yay for not being crazy!:) if anyone knows or has a clue what they think I might have or another avenue to look down PLEASE let me know.

P.S i have also been tested for MS it was negative.
I have extreme empathy for you and what you are having to go through. In April of last year I started to have a lot of the same symptoms you are feeling now.  And, like in your situation, the doctors could not find the diagnosis.  After more than eight months and having gone to see my primary doctor, and a chiropractor, no one could determine the cause of my near constant pain.  Being a nurse, I started to research on the internet the possible cause of my problem.  Long story short, I determined that I had Leaky Gut Syndrome. This is caused by the inflammation of the gut wall, through which bacteria and undigested food pass into the circulatory system. The body reacts to this problem by treating it as a foreign substance and starts to develop antibodies. In essence, it develops into an autoimmune problem for the body manifested by extreme muscular pain and in other symptoms. My doctor had not heard of LGS so I gave him printed material I had found on the subject. You can rule out LGS by having a lab done consisting of drinking Lactulose and Mannitol as directed on this site: http://www.truehealthlabs.com/leaky-gut-test/ .  You may have to inform your doctor if he has not heard of this test. On this site you will find "The Leaky Gut Syndrome Report":  http://www.leakygutcure.com/free-report/Leaky-Gut-Report.pdf. This report gives a more in-depth explanation of the problem.  Good luck to you, and if I can assist you further, write to me on this forum; publicly or private.  Ben
Thank you, I will research it. The problem is I have had the pain since my wheelchair days and nothing stops it, elevating and heat helps but not nearly enough. I can admit after my junior year when this happened, I stopped getting or staying in shape so now, when I do even a little exercise It is severe pain. I am afraid that my dreams of being a police officer is over because of this injury. My family members just say to take it slow, but for a single week I walked or very slowly jogged for a mile every 2 days, the next week I was walking with a cane. I think compartment syndrome, might be something it explain it, but I am just so lost. Ugh, sometimes you get so frustrated at no answers. Thanks again, feel free to email me on here or post back. :)
Your frustration is understandable, more so considering all the medical terminology used.  Let's hope it is not Compartment Syndrome that is causing your problems.  If you feel that it is your problem, become very acquainted with the definition and how to treat it. Never elevate your legs higher than your heart; just makes matters worse.  And, do not exercise excessively at this point. That also compounds matters as you well know from the results you have had when running.  My problem was aggravated by muscle stress.  I was going to the gym five days a week and felt that at my age, I was doing exceptionally well.  Then my problems started, gradually at first, until my whole body musculature was affected. Even if I had wanted to do some exercising, I was not able because of the pain. Don't despair though. You may be able to beat this disease if you persevere and continue to be interactive with your health care. No one knows your body better than you do. For the present, avoid foods with gluten, sugar in any form; soy in any form also, dairy, processed foods, processed salt, and alcohol.  Caffeine, whether from coffee or soft drinks. Medications, avoid NSAIDS such as ibuprofen,Aleve, and prescription medications such as Celebrex. Also, antibiotics and steroidal meds such as Prednisone, Hydrocortisone and Corticosteroids. Concentrate  on eating cooked vegetables, fruits and beef, chicken and fish.  Drink enough water to stay well hydrated unless told differently by your doctor.  Please let me know if there are any new developments with your situation.  In good health,  Ben
I am having the same problems with my calf, shins and feet.  They feel tight and they hurt all the time.  My right foot cramps up so I can't uncurl my toes unless I stand up immediately.  My foot can go into a cramp from stretching in my sleep.  I was diagnosed with low Vitamin D levels, but haven't seen any improvement since I started one month ago.  I'm taking one Vitamin D per week consisting of 50,000 units.  I back surgery in 2009 and I'm wondering if it's a result of the back injury I got when a 200 pound male jumped off a ladder without looking and landed on me.  My disc was forced out the side and was impeding a nerve root.  I collapsed, and within a week I was crawling because the back and leg pain was so great.  The leg tightening and pain has been an issue this year only, but it won't go away.  I am making an appointment with my back surgeon to see if this can be an issue.  If anyone else has had the similar thing happen to them and has been able to find something that makes it go away, please write to me.

Kerri
***@****
If all tests show nothing then it a diet/nutritional thing. Could be dehydration. Athletes need more than a gallon a day of water (not juice, not soda, not Gatorade). Lack I potassium may also do this. Haven't you seen pro runners and athletes with bananas?

Start with the basics.
hi how are you?  my girlfriend daughter had pain in her calf's and her doctor said at 13 years old its growing pain. it got worst and worst. finally another doctor did a test for cancer and sure enough it was. not meant to scare anyone. all i am saying doctors should check for this as well.
Butcher's broom is a herb that has been used for years to help with leg pains that is associated with poor circulation.Scientists have discovered that sparteine, one of the main components in butcher's broom, inhibits the proteins in snake venom and thus is a potent treatment for detoxification of some snake bites. however it can raise your blood pressure.
i knew of an old woman who was walking with a cane, and i told her to try using butcher's broom or potassium. After threes of using it she no longer needed her cane. she was so happy, and never would've believe it if she didn't experience it herself. Do some research on this first. it may not be good for everyone.
hi just wanted to make a comment. my elderly friend took butcher's broom and after three weeks she no longer needed a cane for walking. butcher's broom is excellent if you have poor blood circulation. But it can raise your blood pressure. Google it and you will be surprise how it can work. My friend who was in her 60's at the time thanked me over and over. But I was just happy that there was something that worked for her. She had been using that cane she said for 20 years. Now i am not saying it could work for you. i am just saying it could work for many people, and maybe you.
plz some one help me , im 19 yr old male nd im experiencing leg pain from about 3 yrs,, i hv taken many test but there is no output of any disease ,, now i hv desire of running and playing like all other normal people plz plz give som advice or suggestions,, all my frndz are makin fun of my legs that im not able to run and play...
I've read a lot of the posts here but haven't seen any except for the 13 year old girl, where the calf pains started at an early age.  I can remember crying and my mom rubbing my calves when I was around seven.  These debilitating pains have continued all of my life, I'm now 54.  My daughter had the same type pains when she was six and she would hurt so bad she would just tremble and not be able to walk.  Now my grandson has had several occasions of crying with his legs, one morning could not walk.  We have all been to our doctors regarding this issue.  No one appears to understand or even care to find out what it could be.  I have to say our pains are not constant or in both legs at the same time usually.  Lately I have noticed mine seem to be associated with damp weather and the left leg appears to hurt more often than the right. We feel as though the pain is in the muscle, not the bone. But for my daughter and grandson, they just come and go at will.  

Anyone else with this type issue?
Viewing 1-200 comments: