Sporadic Calf Muscle Soreness and Stiffness in both legs at once
I am not sure if anyone has experienced this.. for the past 6 months I have been experiencing a sore tightness in both of my calf muscles sporadically. It does not seem to be related to exercise since I can go for a run and feel nothing... but then I can be sitting and all of a sudden my calves (always both at the same time) start to ache and feel tight. Sometimes they feel so sore that I can almost not walk. Water seems to help on occasions. I can't understand why all of a sudden I may be becoming dehydrated so that doesn't seem logical...

The aches come and go without warning and sometimes it's much worse than other times. There have also been times when I may not experience any aching for several days.

My doctor, general practitioner, has no explanation. I am thinking that I need to see someone else... any ideas? Endocrinologist?

Any ideas would be great.
Also I forgot to say I am a 38 year old male with no past major medical problems. I did tear my achilles tendon 7 years ago.
Yes! Currently, my daughter is experiencing just the same thing. We've been to a Veinous specialist, orthopedic specialist and a musculaskeletal specialist and they are all shaking their heads in dismay as to what this could possibly be. And...as you say she is almost always in some sort of pain and sometimes it's so bad she can hardly walk. And...yes it is in both calves at the same time. We had an MRI of her back done because that's theoretically where leg pain stems from, but her back looks fine. We also had a MRI of her knees done as well and they look fine also. We just finished a round of veinous tests, i.e. ultrasound and blood pressure of the legs and again, they are fine.

For some reason, I keep coming back to something in the muscle. Maybe a lactic acid build up or something similar.

My daughter is 31 and has always been on the go. Constantly on her feet, working etc. This has brought her to a stop to where she can hardly function. Her problem started a little over a year ago while we were on vacation in Las Vegas.

If you have heard from anyone else, please, please contact me at ***@****. We are fast going broke with all the tests and Doctor bills and we still have no answers. Like you we are seaching for an answer.

I have been searching for 7mos for someone with similar symptoms, in hopes of pointing me in a direction they may have gone.  I too have soreness,achiness,crampy,tight calves in both legs but including my feet.  This hit me one night and has been constant for 7mos. I am sorry but don't have any answers other than to share some of the testing I have had to direct you.
Some thoughts are lyme testing and other infectuous diseases associated with ticks as well as west nile that effects muscles, emg testing to look at muscle response, rheumatic screening for illnesses such as lupus and thyroid testing.  Blood work to look for low magnesium or b12 are nicer possibilities.  I am also seeing an endocrinologist this week as it may provide me with more advanced testing than the base screening that initial blood work provides.  If you have any advice or direction it would be greatly appreciated.  I have some other symptoms that neither of you mentioned which include; a fine tremor in my upper body including my arms which are also weak.   I often have difficulty with performing tasks such as writing or cutting with my right hand. My upper body weakness began 3mos after the onset of my leg weakness.  Thank you.
I am having some of the EXACT same symptoms.  My calves are hurting soooo bad, I cry and cry.  I can not get any relief sometimes.  My calves feel so knotted up I can't take it.  Also the bottom of my feet and my bottom is hurting as well.  I have seen a rheumatologist and he is thinking fibromyalgia.  I've also been to other forums and people with fibro have similar knots in their legs.  My next stop is the neorologist.  I have not had any venous testing though.  I have had my thyroid checked along with lupus and rhuematoid arthritis (negative).  My bloodwork looks perfect.  It's really very frustrating.  In the meantime, I'm starting some physical therapy this week and getting massages.  Hot tubs, heating pads, and muscle relaxers take the edge off (sometimes).
You might want to look up Compartment Syndrome-  there is a test they can do for it.  I was diagnosed with excertional compartment syndrome and had a fasciatomy done.  My symptoms were similiar to yours, but got worse as time went on.  Just a thought.
I have been doing a lot of stretching and that seems to be helping a little.  I watch tv and stretch my legs out.  I also started some physical therapy today, too.
I have the same problem. I thought that maybe I was working out to hard postpartum, but the my legs are sore an the days I don't workout also.  I've been wondering if it has some connection with my hypothyroidism.
I initially experienced numbness in my foot. Eventually that alleiviated and then I started to feel stiffness in my calfs in both legs.I have been tested for lupus,MS, Thyroid, and arthritis. However the tests came back negative. Advise if you know anything else. I've been to a neurologist, rheumatologist, podiatrist, family doctor, and now an internal medicine doctor
We are going through the same situatuion for the past 9 months with our daughter.  She is an athlete and her tightness, heaviness, soreness is located in the back of both calves, but only during exercise.  The pressure and pain go away shortly after stopping exercise.  All of her tests including  x-rays, neurology,emg and ncv, mri, spine, blood work, venous testing have been negative.  The doctors are still checking for chronic compartment syndrome but we are having a hard time locating someone who has experience with testing for posterior compartment syndrome.  You should rule this out as well. If anyone knows of doctors in california that have experience with this we would be grateful for the information!
chh
i cannot believe so many others are experiencing the same symptons, i work out & its exactly the same stiffness & pain as if ive had a really hard session walking uphill & get the soreness etc the following day. only this time i havent worked out, this just started the other evening out of the blue! really weird & worrying, my GP told me to take paracetamol which was of no help, thing is so many things go through my head like thrombosis in both legs, some sort of circulation problem, i dont know Help!!!
I am also experiencing the same problems..I am currently in tears beacause it is so bad.It does not matter if I excercise or don't exercise i still hurt. The only thing that has helped is getting massages...which i cannot really afford. I have recently had tests run and everything came back fine but everyone keeps telling me that my pottassium is low or I have lupus or FM or my thyriod is not working right but the lupus and thyriod are fine. and my pottassium is actually too high.. i drink about 20 bottles of water at least a day and stay dehydrated..... im so clueless as to what could be the problem. If you have any ideas please let me know. thank you.
Hi,  I just recently had a reoccuring episode of this, and a biochemist I know suggested I might be having a magnesium deficiency.  I took a calcium table and a magnesium tablet and within 3 hours my aching and soreness were reduced a great deal.  My doctor is also clueless and could only come up with possible deep vein thrombosis but the physical exam didn't sync up.  Read up on magnesium and calcium deficiencies - it all made perfect sense when I read about it because magnesium is vital for muscular health and can't be absorbed without calcium so they're both linked.  If nothing else give it a try and see if it works for you all as it did for me.  Good luck!  ~ Jody
I am experiencing the same problems and it I haven't been exercising any differently.  I am in a good bit of discomfort because both of my legs (from the knees down) are tight and feel like they are half-way into a Charlie-horse type of muscle cramp consantly for the last two days now.  I have a B-12 deficiency and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (hypothyroid) and am currently taking Celebrex for heel spurs in my feet.  I am only 27 and am currently thinking it is a vitamin deficiency as well.  My advice would be to take a multi-vitamin, eat a banana and see what happens.  Then see your doctor.
Some few years ago I suffered a few times from a stiffness and a feeling of swelling with a moderate pain on walking in the middle of my left calf only. The stiffness and pain appeared a few seconds after I got out of bed. I could perform any kind of leg movement, even hopping on the left leg,  without changing the degree or location of the pain. I noticed the apparent location of the pain could change slightly.  My ability to walk was not affected, and in fact seemed to be beneficial, so I walked as much as possible. After some time, from a few hours to a few days, the pain would suddenly go away. My doctor was unable to offer any explanation.
   The last time I had this problem was a few years ago.
   I was in my office at my desk until late last night, quite a normal thing for me. I did something which I have never done before. I ate 4 large bananas. I don't eat bananas in the office. Upon getting up, out of the blue, in the left calf only, I noticed the feeling of swelling and a feeling similar to that which comes when a muscle has been used intensively, something that is explained as a buildup of lactic acid, but there was no pain.
I did not realise that there was any connection between calf problemswith bananas until I consulted the web tonight.
Here we have two rare events - the eating of bananas and the appearance of this discomfort. Is this just a coincidence?
This phenomenon seems to be the inverse of what I am reading here !
The muscle symptoms described here can be caused by various things. One thing you may want to consider is the possibility of an auto-immune reaction to an underlying infection. I'm a 42-year-old male who's otherwise healthy. Several years ago, I had an intestinal infection that went on for a number of months until I finally saw a doctor and was treated. Bowel symptoms included alternating diarrhea and constipation. At the same time, as soon as the bowel symptoms began, I started getting leg cramps in the calf muscles, which I had never experienced before, along with a sensation of continuous muscle soreness in the calves like what others have described in this forum. My muscles did not decline in strength, but in endurance. For example, I walk on the beach regularly, but the soreness and reduced muscle function cut my walks in half. The infection was thought to be (but not confirmed as ) Endolimax nana, a parasitic infection treated with Metronidazole. Within several days of treatment, my gastric symptoms went away and my legs felt much better. However, it has been at least a couple years since then, and I still feel some leg discomfort or soreness (though greatly reduced), and my muscle endurance throughout my body has continued to suffer (for example, I can't swim nearly as many laps as I used to be able to, because the muscles just give out prematurely). After being tested for many of the things discussed in this forum, the most reasonable conclusion (though still unproven) is that it's some sort of auto-immune disorder triggered by the infection. There doesn't seem to be a solution, but at least the symptoms aren't getting worse. I hope this information may be helpful.
I have been experiencing pain in both legs (calf and thigh) muscles for about 5 years.  I've been to the reumotologist had an mri.  I recently had orthoscopic surgery on my right knee.  I feel a pain in both knees, and feel like the pain radiates up and down the back of the legs.  Lately, probably 6months, when I am idle for brief periods of time, upon standing and trying to walk again, the muscles in both legs are STIFF.  After walking for a little bit, they get a little better.  If someone were to ask me how my legs feel, I'd say they are tired pretty much all the time.  A lot of these posts sound very similar, although everyone mentions the calves.....does anyone experience this in their thighs as well?
This is so weird, because I've been having the same symptoms.  I talked the nurse at the Dr's office and she told me to quit taking my cholesterol medicine for a while.  Muscle weakness and soreness is one of the side effects.  You may want to check the side effects of any medicine you are taking.

I deeply sympathize with all of you on here, as it really is dificult to explain to anybody including family friends and doctors what sort of distress chronic calf pain and stiffness can cause. I'm afraid i dont have any really just experience of what i have gone through and things that i have tried.

I am 21 years old and have had severe problmes with my calf muscles and feet since i fell from a roof (about 10ft) 3 years ago.

I broke nothing, no fractures was just told in A&E that i had brusing of the heel. As far as doctors can tell i have done no other damage to my legs.

At first it was just pain in my heels, which turned to tingling and numbness  but  has now slowly progressed up my legs and into my calves. Now i can't sleep at night, i can't walk for more than 20 mins without having to stop because my feet and calves literally feel like they are on fire. It's always worse in the morning and late and night and walking is less painfull that standing (In a queue for instance)

It feels like constant burning, my calves and muscles in my feet are incredibly tight and knotted and despite stretching them daily nothing seems to be able to get them out of this state...it's driving me insane!

Iike many of you i have become disillusioned with the whole medical process, i have had mri scans on my back and legs that showed and nothing (and cost me a bomb, i'm only a student) i have had emi or nerve conduction studies to rule out tarsal tunnel syndrome that again were negative. I have tried orthotics for supposed planta facitis(sp?) that didnt do anything. I have seen a neurologist that said my nerves were fine but put me onto a specialist in pain medicine who at first diagnosed me with referred/localised pain syndrome ( i forgot the medical name now) but after he did a bone scan he then put me onto a rheumatologist saying i had early signs of arthrtis. I saw her a couple of weeks ago and she told me that the scans infact show no sign of a sytematic deterioration in the feet that would indicate arthritis and instead said i should go back to the pain specialist and start physio ( which i have already done for almost a year when i first got the injury)

hence, i feel like i have spent 3 years in a pain a lot of money, and time, and am now back where i started with still no sign of a diagnosis. I'm 21 used to be very sporty and be able to do everything i wanted and now i worry about just having to go shopping for food incase there is a big queue, please somebody help me as i don't know where to go to next and i seriously can't continue in this much pain!

If you have any suggestions as to what i could do next or want to talk about it post a response here or email me. thanks

Joe ( ***@****)
Me too! I've been freaking out about it because I have a chronic phobia of losing limbs
I meant everybody, I was just thinking about this guy sam when i type this
Yes, I have pain along the outsides of my thighs too. They feel like they are bruised when I touch them. The outside of my calfs feel like that too. Anyone know what could be causing this???
Most of you are experiencing muscle pains. My pains are deep in my legs and calfs. They are like sharp probing pain. They come on, last a few seconds and subside. But they do this every few minutes. Like a stabbing pain. Sometimes it'll last for a few minutes, subside, then start up again. They will often do this in the middle of the night to waken me. I'm always afraid it's deep vien thrombosis. How would I know?
This all started after othroscopic knee surgery in Sept. My meniscus and cartillage were torn.  Since the surgery my hip, buttocks and legs have been very painful. My knee still bothers me and I can't climb stairs as well as before. I now think I should have never gotten the surgery! Before all this I was a avid hiker and walked 3-4 miles a day. Now it hurts to even walk a mile! I've also gained 4 pounds!
Also, the sides of my thighs are sore to the touch...like they are severely bruised...
Any ideas??? Thanks   Oh, I'm 55...if that helps anyone.
I was recently diagnosed with Thiamine B1 deficiency.  I do not know the root cause (could be pancreas, liver, malnutrition etc...).  I also have higher than normal fasting glucose levels, also perhaps related to the low B1.  I have been supplementing B1 and alpha lipoic acid at the recommendation of my neurologist, but so far (day 3) not really any noticable improvement.  I also have some abdominal pain (upper left quad.) and numbness of my feet and hands.  However, the calf pain in both legs was started before these other things.  I also have a hiatal hernia.   Hopefully the root cause will be determined.  I just wanted to through this out there as low thiamine can cause these symptoms.  
This has been an interesting read. I have been struggling with leg pain since last July. The doctors just told me it was from over doing (my husband and I remodeled 2 houses last summer, and moved twice), but I have been taking it easy since Sept, and it's not going away. My muscles (deep tissue) in my calves hurt, and i get knots of a type around and above my knees. My husband can help the pain somewhat be massaging out the knots and massaging the deep tissue in my legs, but the pain comes right back. i have had some success with yoga. My doctor told me I have loose knee caps? and told me to take this Ibuprofen 2x a day. i haven't taken it that often, really just as needed. i just bought a bunch of vitamins, and I think i will go back and buy some magnesium and be diligent with taking calcium pills as an earlier writer recommends.

I would recommend the yoga to everyone, most good teachers will work a particular part of the body if you request it, (by the way, its "Hatha yoga", this involves deep breathing with movement).

The yoga helps for about 24-48 hours.

Thanks to all for your ideas!

-JPRM
I have been looking for someplace like this for so long. I am a 31 yr old female and have been struggling with these symptoms.  My calves feel so sore and bruised almost everyday.  This has been going on for almost two years now.  Prior to the soreness I was experiencing numbness in my legs which I still get.  That started about five years ago.  I just can't believe sitting here reading this how people describe my symptoms so accurately.  I have been tested for a few things and in fact am going to the doctor's again tomorrow.  I am going to ask him again what exactly has been ruled out.  He has previously told me he thinks maybe I stand on my feet too much for too many years ( I have been a cosmetologist for over 11 years), but ironically I only work 2 days a wk now ( I went back to school) and my symptoms only seem to be getting worse.  I also notice the bottoms of my feet feel bruised along with my hands sometimes too.  Weird!  I was thinking about the possibility of fibromyalgia myself.  But I tell ya, I am going to go out tomorrow and buy magnesium and calcium and yoga tapes to see if it helps.  Oh yeah, and the massage does help...I can't afford it either, I massage them myself.
I hope this helps. I had similar problems and I could hardly walk. First thing I did is flush my gallbladder. I had about 500 little stones flushed out of my body. Simple thing to do and it takes 3-4 hrs. Completelly painless. (google gallbladder flush to learn more - you just need olive oil and lemon). In 2 days i was jumping. But that lasted around 4-5 months. The pain returned and I went to my accupuncturist.  I can not explain what is exactly going on, but there is an article that is pretty close to what my doctor was telling me. and it is n ot connected with just lactic acid and muscle fatigue. It has got to do with Yin energy of some organs like your spleen, bladder and kidneys.

Please see http://www.yinyanghouse.com/acupuncturepoints/theory_ev . I hope it will give you an insight....
I've been dealing with similar symptoms now for about a year.  I experience a dull pain, similar to what I describe as a lactic acid build-up in my leg muscles (thighs, knees, & calves) as well as my foot muscles.  Pain is severe upon getting up from a resting position, either sitting or lying in bed.  That 1st step in the morning is EXCRUCIATING.  I'll admit that at 46 years old, I'm not in the top shape I was about 5 years ago, however I have been walking daily for about an hour.  Contrary to my thoughts, it feels better on my legs and feet to be moving.  Standing or sitting for a period of time seems to cause further pain on start-up!  Like any typical guy, I've held off seeing a doctor, but then again I did not even know where to start.  Because my feet hurt so much I thought of seeing a poditrist thinking the problem may be starting there.  I think that I'll try the Mag & Cal solution ... possibly even the Gallbladder flush ... Thank you for your help!
Tim
The kind of pain you are describing can be due to venous stasis or vascular compromise. It can also be due to varicose vein. Pain in night in calves while sleeping can also be due to Restless Leg Syndrome.
I think you should consult initially PCP and discuss regarding further management and further reference to surgeon for evaluation of venous stasis in legs.
A Doppler study of your legs will help in diagnosing the condition.
Keep me posted.
Bye.
I want to share an interesting thing about my calf soreness and aches.  I have alway been very active, however, I do not exercise in the typical since.  In other words, I don't run, swim, jog or workout on any trainers.

Here is what is curious about my aches and soreness:

I have always drank a lot of water.  And I'm finding that if I drink less water, that my calfs do not ache as much.  In fact, I went from drinking 6 or 8 pints of water each day to 2 or 3.  Perhaps to much water in the calfs creates the tightness that causes the aches.

All I'm saying is that perhaps we drink to much water for our lifestyles.

Of course if you live in a hot/dry climate and/or you exercise a lot, then extra water is needed.  But for everyone else, I really don't think you need to walking around all day sucking on those water bottles.  

Wow...this is my first time on tis forum amd I can't believe so many have the same symptoms that I have. I do take Crestor for high Cholestarol, plus I have diabetes, I do have some peripheral neuropathy, but this felling in my calves is different from that. I think I would best disribe it as the feeling of black and blue bruises without the discoloration, plus a tightness of the skin. Doctors are dumbfounded and tend to blame it all on the Diabetes, but that is a totally different feeling. I am considering the magnesium and asking the doctor if I can stop the Crestor for a few days and see if that makes a difference. I don't have my gall bladder, so I don't know if I should try the flush, but I'm open to all ideas.
Hello fellow leg pain sufferers...  I have had constant calf pain for several months now and have just found this website while doing some research on the matter.  I was hoping this would go away but it has not.  It feels like lactic acid build up after strenuous excercise but is constant.  The morning's first step is most painful and I find my calf pain/stiffness will intensify after I sit down for a while during the day or night. Stetching and massage works a little but the pain still persists.  
Has anyone had any success with Magnesium / Calcium?  
Help please,  this is driving me nuts...

Glen
At least I am not alone.  The pain in my calf stops for months then returns.  It is a horrible painful buring when I walk accross the room.  It helps when I am sitting but the pain and tightness is still there.  I did take magesium because I thought the Blood Pressure Medicine I am taking was causing this, but I've been on the medicine 2 months and it just started yesterday.  
Woke up sunday morning to calf pain no reason for it not working out .
I have hashimotos and gall bladder sludge and some back problems from lifing heavy items on the job.  The  calf pain hurts when I stand or walk only not when laying down with feet up or to the touch.  not sure if swelling is behind knee or not?
I am like u suffering problem for last 10 years i m 25 male,  just do massage i will relax u nothing else.
I just found this blog and am thankful to know that I'm not crazy. My leg pain has been gradually worsening over the past few years, so much so, that I actually went to a vein doctor convinced I had DVT.  Veins were normal. So I'm constantly searching for clues as to what it could be. Has anyone thought that candidiasis might be the culprit? There's a lot of information on the internet, so I just started taking caprylic acid to see if it might help. Supposedly it's a long process to kill all the fungus in your body, but I'll report back in a couple of months if it helps.
Makes me wonder if our goverment has something to do with it.
to many people are having the same problem. it could be the middle east attacking our drinking water or food chain. I too have the same symtoms for no reason. But I find that when I work hard all day the pain eases up and when I lay down or set in a chair my calfs ache and feel tight.
I  have the same problem and, this condition was one of many reasons i have been studying massage therapy.This is what i do to relieve the pain and sometimes stop it.you will need 2 towels: one face towel and 1 hand towel ,also a hair dryer,and a good quality hot jelly. What you have to do:
heat the face towel,applied the hot jelly ,wrap it in your calf,hold it tight,meanwhile heat the second towel ,wrappe it around your calf on top of the first towel,use the hair dryer once again to promote heating, add pressure, ,keep your hand pressing for at least 5 minutes you will feel like a burning sensation.remove the towel and proceed to  massage,and pinch your calf,yu'll feel the softness in the muscle,hope this will help to all of you,note:heating the towels in the drying machine does not provide the same results.
I have the same muscle symptoms of stiffness and now seeign an orthopedic doc. I get a treatment called IMS , inter muscular stimulant, bascially lengthens the muscle that has contracted. U feel immediate relief with this ,but it takes time to cure, over 4-8 weeks.
Some days i am in so much pain i cant get out of bed, its the calves and thighs for me, and different parts of the leg..weird.

neways, I am seeing an ORthopedic, who does this, as part of a pain management , would suggest u all to research the same.
I have a burning ache..and feels better with legs elevated.
ashna
Hi ash318, how are you? Hope you recover fully soon? Can you say what led you to get these muscle stiffness/spasms? Since when you are under the orthopedician care and are you given this therapy on day-to-day basis? Few sessions of physical therapy and massage therapy is useful. Try to avoid further aggravation by proper care of triggering factors. Here is some useful information on myofascial release, which you might find helpful, check-in this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myofascial_Release
Do continue with therapy and update on the progress. Take care.
Hi, I have been Fell walking since i was 15 ,I am now 53.Pain in my calf muscles has never been a problem apart from whilst under extreme strain ascending hills,but the pain subsides after resting,that is until a month ago.Not being a panicky sort of chap and allowing my imaginings to meander into amputation mode, I decided to look at what I had done different that may be causing the change. The pain seemed to get worse whilst walking uphill and not on the flats or downhill.My right foot went numb(ish) and felt quite uncomfortable.
Right--The only change that i had made pior to this pain was as simple as buying a new and different style of walkig boot with a longer lace up system.Although i had allowed for a extra half size to give my feet room for swelling when hot ,I was simply tying them a fraction to tight,restricting the blood circulation .As we have one foot bigger than the other,my right foot suffered the most hence the numbness.After loosening them off especially around my ankles,the pain subsided and my right foot had full feeling to it.
This may not help any of you but it works for me.I walked 20 miles the day that i solved my problem.So please check what you may have done different that could cause any pain,before thinking the worst-Ray
I just want to thank everyone for sharing their experiences and offering suggestions for relief.

Five days ago, I noticed my feet were swollen and sore just from me entering Walmart at the Garden Center, walking to the magazine rack and standing in one spot for about 10 minutes while I read a magazine. I was alarmed, but shrugged it off and thought I needed to get off my feet for awhile.  

The swelling will go away at night as I elevate my legs to sleep, but returns at some point throughout the day. Today, I notice that my calf muscles were extremely tight and sore.  I’m going to see a doctor next week as I can hardly walk due to the pain.  I just sort of drag my feet with my knees bent. I’m a 30 year old female, and as someone else mentioned - I have a obsessive phobia of losing limbs.  

Five days may seem to early to be freaking out about it, but you just have a way of knowing when something is terribly wrong with your body. This is one of those times.

I’ve also come to the conclusion that this may be something I brought on myself.  I spend about seven hours each night on the computer.  I sit on the sofa and extend my legs onto the coffee table.  I thought this was a good idea to elevate my legs while sitting for such a long period of time, but I was only partially correct.

It seems that when I stretched my legs straight out in front of me, I was only elevating them in relation to the floor, but I was not allowing the blood to circulate.  Many nights, I would go to stand up and the backs of my knees and the heels of my foot would burn.  

No limbs had fallen asleep, but as my cousin (who’s a nurse) explained - the blood was “pooling” behind my knees and in my ankles. She suggested that perhaps the swelling and stiffness was due to some sort of circulatory problem created by the position I had assumed for hours on end.

About two weeks ago, I stopped sitting in that position b/c the burning sensation had become too intense.  But I don’t understand why the swelling and soreness took another week to manifest.  If it were just sore muscles caused by the position, I think they would’ve hurt the whole time. Or, at the least, immediately after I stopped sitting like that.  But a whole week later?

If this turns out to be something serious (which I fear it will be b/c nothing I’ve tried has worked), I don’t know when I’ll stop beating myself up over the ignorance I displayed.  Every time I take a step and am in pain, I ask, “Did you do this to yourself?  Did you hurt yourself like this?”  It’s psychologically taxing.

I hope that I’m wrong and that the whole thing is a coincidence.  Ideally, this wouldn’t be happening at all, but I’d feel much more accepting of the situation if I find out that I didn’t directly cause it.

Based on the majority of your experience, I have weakened faith that the first doctor I go to will be able to help me.  I’m going to give the magnesium and calcium pills a try and seek out testing for Compartment Syndrome.  Again, thank you all so much.

Hello.  I think you should investigate the possibility that you may have an anxiety disorder.  Often with anxiety a person will fixate on a body part and begin to notice a variety of symptoms associated with it.  Therapy is very effective in treating anxiety, especially a kind called EMDR.  Maybe you should consult a psychologist.  Take care.
I am just finding this forum today. Yesterday i was online all day trying to find an answer. I have suffered from leg deep muscle cramps for 12 years! Onset was during my second pregancy. I've been complaining to my doctors but they all just pushed it aside like it was in my head. Finally a few months ago i decided I couldnt handle it anymore- it has gotten so much worse over the years, and so i got a new doctor, and am now seeing an orthopedic surgeon who diagnosed me with Chronic Compartment Sydrome. I have been getting PT but it only helps during the pt- I am always in pain, day and night, unless i am moving or exercising. The minute i sit or lie down the pain starts. it is a constant, burning deep ache. I used to be able to relieve it with stretching- stand close to a wall with your sneaker on and put your toes on the wall and heel on the floor and push. the problem has always been that the pain only disapates during the stretch, then comes right back.

Deep massage (though very painful) helps me get to sleep at night. I also apply bengay and sleep with dancers leg warmers wrapped around my two calves every night- it is the only way i can fall and stay asleep. Stretching right before bed helps sometimes. I bought a PRO STRETCH through my PT ($60) which works much better than the wall or stairs.

I had thought my orthopedic doctor had finally found the answer, but when i looked up compartment sydrome online yesterday, it doesnt seem like i have that at all, since with compartment sydrome, relief is found when resting. this is the opposite of what happens to me. i only find relief if I exercise, stretch or massage.

my insurance company may not be paying for anymore PT so i don't know what to do next. I couldnt believe i found people (and a whole lot) that are suffering as i am. I thought i was crazy for years and then i was sure noone else had this since everyone I speak to has never heard of it before.

I am willing to try anything, and have yet to have any testing done. I see my Orthopedic Doc. next week and will see what she has to say. I will ask my regular doctor to do some other testing.

I too dont exercise much, and do drink lots of water. I too had some stomach virus as was described above about 4 years prior to onset of the leg cramps. I am sitting at the computer now and my legs are absolutely killing me.

Help!
Jo D
I have been studying and looking into all probable reasons for calf muscle pain since i posted my last comment and as i mentioned last time it is likley that its something i'm doing different that has caused the reaction,ie a change of footwear,a change of medication etc etc Even an Asthma inhaler can bring about this change(depending on which one).Some of them can affect the amounts of potassium in the blood stream.Potassium works with sodium(salt)  to maintain the fluid and electrolyte balance within cells.which is neccesary for the transmission of nerve inpulses and muscle function.When levels are low muscle 'cramps' and pain can occur.
Potassium can be found in fresh and dried fruits,seeds and nuts,advocados,and bananas.I would suggest -try eating a banana with your Breakfast and see if there is a difference and to check that any salt reduction you have made affects the cramps.
I can remember with all the hype about salt being bad for the heart and cutting my intake down,resulted in aching muscles.So I counteract this (when fell walking) and always take a bag of ready salted crisps.
Illness such as diahorrea can affect mineral level which can in turn upset my mineral balance and i suggest that sachets of Dioralyte are taken as these replace the the salts lost with this illness,these electrolyte powders also contain 0.30g of potassium.
N.b (I have no other interests in this product,apart from personal usage)
The main suggestion I could give is ,Try not to let your imagination run wild with any change in the body.Some changes occur because of age,some because of a something different that ive done.
Thankyou-Ray-England.
Furthering my investigations into muscle pains/cramps, I have found another reliever that may help----Magnesium sulphate,Otherwise known as Epsom salts.It is recommended that one to two cupfuls are added to a bath full of water(Warm).This apparently draws out any Lactic acid from the muscles. I hope this works-Thanks-Ray -England
Very Interestung comments-suggestions etc. re:aching legs etc. It was interesting to note that keepitsimple mentioned the reduction of salt being a factor--I recently about 2months ago reduced my salt intake due to high blood pressure noted by my doctor. I am now wondering if it is a factor in my aching calf muscles which drive me crazy--just when you think their gone-it's back again-I walk and or bike everyday and am active. There are times I could cry and have in the last few weeks. But just this week I started taking ibprofen gel caps-200mg each. I find they work well.....mybe extra-strength would work better,,I take a calcium and glucosamine everyday for arthritis.

Dehydration can cause muscle soreness due to electrolyte imbalance. Please make sure you maintain your fluid intake.
Also you can try doing some stretching exercises of the calf muscles. Please consult a physiotherapist if the problem continues.

I too was experiencing severe calf pain to the point the doctor ordered an ultrasound to rule out deep vein thrombosis.  It came up negative.  After about a month of this, my shins started to hurt almost like shin splints.  Then I had numbness across the top of my leg and my foot.  The doctor diagnosed compartment syndrome, but like some of the other posters it doesn't feel better with rest.  It feels much better with deep tissue massage, but the PT says something must be causing this.  I will keep reading to see if anybody else comes up with something.
i recently came back form florida and the next day i woke up with heavy leg. they didnt hurt just felt tired for about a month. then my calves started burning and aching. i am a hairdresser and i was unable to work for awhile due to burning,numbing and tingles in my entire legs.i have had all the basic tests done and no answers. i have an appt for mayo clinic but not until sept to see if they can tll me something.i am so stressed not knowing
This is a follow-up to my post back in October 2007. Just to recap my condition, I have chronic muscle soreness, especially in the calves, and reduced muscle endurance. The onset of these symptoms began with a parasitic intestinal infection. Although the infection itself was successfully treated, the muscle symptoms remained (though in a less-severe form than during the active infection).

I recently found out that taking certain nutritional supplements has greatly improved my condition. I had previously tried taking various vitamin and mineral supplements (including calcium, magnesium, and potassium, as mentioned by others) without any beneficial effect. The supplements I've found to be amazingly helpful basically consist of MSM and glucosamine. Within a few days of taking them, my muscle pain decreased and my muscle endurance greatly increased. I'm now able swim and exercise again without the rapid onset of muscle fatigue that I used to experience, and my muscles no longer feel sore for days after exercising. I've deliberately waited about 2 months before posting these results, because I can now say seemingly without question that these supplements are having a very beneficial effect.

The specific supplements I'm taking are both made by GNC (General Nutrition Corporation), but similar supplements are widely available. They're in capsule/pill form. The first one is labeled MSM/Glucosamine, and contains 500 mg MSM and 500 mg d-Glucosamine Sulfate. The second one is labeled TriFlex and contains 1500 mg Glucosamine HCL, 1200 mg Sodium Chondroitin Sulfate, and 900 mg MSM. I take each pill once a day. I plan to do further tests to try to narrow down the specific substance(s) in these pills that are actually helping me, and I'll post the results.

It's unlikely, of course, that these supplements will help everyone in the same way. Although the symptoms posted on this site sound alike, they may be caused by various underlying conditions. Still, if the supplements helped me, they would probably also prove helpful to certain other individuals. I would certainly encourage anyone with symptoms similar to mine to at least give them a try.

-Randy

i have suffered with this for about 3 years and have had every test done just like all of you.  i have talked to alot of people with the same problem and they also can't find anything wrong. i sometimes wonder if having a  spinal block done on me when i had a child about sixteen years ago might have had something to do with it.  i know alot of people whose leg's are hurting have had a spinal block in the past. i take lycia and tramadol to help the pain, but would give anything if my legs would just stop hurting.
i think i slept too much today sunday.but when i woeke up i had soreness and pain in my legs and calfs so i took a motrin 800,and took my potassium pills.i underestimated the value o water,plain water not sodas ,juice etc. i recently fell off a chair at work and hurt my back the next day i noticed that i was weak in the legs,i saw my internist who made me take an mri which was ok.i have been seeing a choiropractorwhich helps . i had the feeling for a month so far but until i read all the posts here i can see it has to do with the muscles in my legs and calfs and their tightness. i understand alot more now.THANKS
I was experiencing the same problems and I didn't know what was going on either.  I hadn't changed anything, was working out the same as usual, but had horrible pain for no reason in my calf muscles (both legs).  The only thing I could link the pain too was that I bought a pair of the "Croc" shoes.  I stopped wearing them and my calves stopped hurting!  Not to monimize anybody elses pain of it is not caused by these shoes, but maybe this could be it for some others out there.  Sounds crazy, but the shoes make me throw my weight differently (and I only weight 150) and keep my calf muscles flexed.  They make me hold me feet and legs differently when I stand in them.  Maybe this will help someone....helped me.  I hate to not wear them anymore, but my legs have stopped hurting completely.
try this
http://www.mindbodymedicine.com/index2.html
severe calf cramps in both legs came on 1 night over 2 weeks ago & suddenly woke me up at 1:30pm. They eventually subsided, but I got bruises on the backs of both calves 5 days later, and my calf muscles have continued to twitch non-stop since that day and are still twitching. they wake me up every night around 1-2pm ready to go into full blown cramps, but I now sleep either sitting up on the couch or laying down with both legs propped up, and I put a hot towel and heating pad on my calves all night. They twitch and ache every day all day.

When it first happened I started eating bananas, then taking a multi-vitamin, then tried an over-the-counter leg cramp medicine. Nothing has helped. Now my ankles have swollen so I can't see my ankle bones and my legs feel heavy and swollen and they are still very tender like bruised all over.

I have been trying to find a clue online and have come up  with maybe the possibility of a thyroid condition. Without health insurance yet, I have limited $ to spend trying to find the right doctor. I am going to try to find an endocrinologist though asap to see if *** could be a thyroid thing. As many have posted above, maybe it is just lack of calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, iodine, etc. but I have been taking a multi-vitamin with all of these in it for 2 weeks now and I am not sure if it is helping.

I can't lose any more sleep, I am exhausted and I started a very important new job 1 month ago. I can't lose any sleep or work. This has to stop now. I will keep you posted and I hope you do too. Especially if anyone has success fighting this and can let us know.
A simple blood test will diagnose whether or not you have a problem with your thyroid.  I was just diagnosed with three types of thyroid cancer, had my thyroid removed, had one I-131 treatment, and another scheduled.  Calve pain is definitely one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism.  Your family doctor can order this test.  Your life is worth the expense; even if you have to take out a loan.
Im surprise I haven't seen any mention of possible piriformis compression syndrome.  It is a controversial diagnosis but may be the cause of leg muscle issues.  I have had fasciculations, soreness, and weakness in my calf muscles for months.  My neurologist thinks it may be piriformis syndrome.  I also have soreness and tightness deep in my left gluteus maximus, which indicates possible injury to and inflammation of my piriformis.  The piriformis runs across your sciatic nerve.  The other possibility may be my slightly herniated disc in my L5.  I did see mention of lower back disc issues being a possible cause of symptoms
I had piriformis muscle strain from excessive weightlifting and cycling.  The muscle was in a constant spasm (knotted up) and I would experience random sharp excruciating pain jolts behind my knee for over a month.  My doctor had no idea what was wrong.  After much research on my own, I decided that it was my piriformis muscle and began therapy that included stretching all of the leg and glute muscles, added calcium, potassium, and magnesium supplements to my diet, and took epsom salt baths for weeks.  Finally one day at work, after about one month of little relief, I experienced another sharp pain (after sitting at my desk in one position for hours working).  I got up, in anger, laid on the floor, and stretched the piriformis muscle farther and longer than I had before, and it let loose.  I could feel the muscle in my glute extend and my leg dropped a little further than before.  I have not had a pain since.

The piriformis muscle was so inflamed and strained that it was pinching the sciatic nerve and the pain manifested itself behind the knee.

Lesson learned; no excessive workouts with no stretching, don't create muscle imbalances by not exercising all the muscles in your body In my case legs), and age (I'm 50 now) will put a crimp in your vim, vigor, and vibrance.
I have been having leg pains, it's been going on for about a couple of weeks now. It feels really restless and pretty painful and i have the hardest time sleeping. Also on the bottom of my feet hurts like hell, my muscles feel like they are really tight but if i take pain killer it doesn't even seem like it helps. But for the most part what I have read is more or less what it fells like.
I too have the exact same syptoms. Both of my legs feel like they are bruised when I touch them. It feels like I did a heavy work out and jogged 50 miles. They are so stiff. This started 2 days ago. Three days ago I had an MRI with dye on my brain. I am having other problems too. Has anyone ever had leg pain after an MRI with dye? Also I was in the hospital overnight and they seriuosly druged me with 5 mg of diludid every 3-4 hours. NO JOKE! I was having severe pain on the left side of my face. Something to do with the 5th nerve. I forgot the name of the disease! Anyhow, now I am more concerned with my legs. I can't deal with anymore health problems. Any advice?
I have had the same issues with both calves feeling crampy sort of the feeling that you know you are about to get a charlie horse but then I never do.  Since I know the reason behind charlie horses is low iron, that is why they tell you to eat bananas, that is what I started doing eating a banana every day and I didn't feel the crampiness.  Of course today I am out of bananas and I noticed the crampy calves again.  I would definitely try eating a banana every day or taking a iron supplement and see if that works you could possible stop for a day and see if it did the trick.  I have come to find that most aches and pains are normally a form or vitamin deficiany.  Good Luck everyone.
This might answer some questions. I have the same symptoms as mentioned in past posts. This was my problem. I am a martial artist for over 20 years in tae kwon do and this problem started about 3 years ago with sore feet that went into plantar fasicitis. The worse symptom was shooting back pain in my lower back near my spine and right above my hip. Turns out that the IT band (Iliotibial Band) on my left leg and my Psoas muscle on my inner right leg were over tight and causing my body to be toqued (twisted) out of alignment. I had an MRI of my back and there wasn't any tears or ruptures in the disks. It took my chiropractor about 4 months to stretch me to where his treatments would hold. The miracle worker was his massuse. He was able to perform deep tissue massages to release the tight muscles in my legs, thighs, buttocks, and back. This has taken about 9 months of weekly treatments, but I have seen a major improvement. Deep tissue massages were painful at first, but decreased with pain as the muscles loosen up. I still where orthotics in my shoes, but I think I can start wearing shoes without them in a few months. Going barefoot has no pain at all. I still have sore/achy muscles in my legs and calves at times, but I walk without limping or shuffling. I have talked with others and they all have jobs lifting packages or doing repeat tasks with twisting. I did work for UPS for 7 months loading/unloading trucks.Your legs would be sore if your gait is shortened when you walk thus causing sore feet/plantar fasicitus. I am a 46 yr old female, healthly. I only slightly tore my right inner ACL 5 years ago. Other than that I have been active in sports all my life.
I had the same problems.  They'd been getting worse over the years, and it was worse when I exercise, but I had the pain and cramps even when I took time off from exercise.  I used to lie to people when I was limping around and tell them I'd over done it working out even when I hadn't done anything for weeks.  I had cramps and shooting pain or burning in my feet, calves and sometimes even all the way up to my back and in my hands.  I've been to multiple doctors over the last 10 years.  I've been tested for Lymes disease, high thyroid, cancer, arthritis, autoimmune, ect.  I've been told I have rheumatoid arthritis, no wait - firbomyalgia, no actually - lupus . . . I've been through this cycle at least 3 times.  I had other symptoms as well, migraines, insomnia, no apatite, heart palpatations and allergies.  My blood work was always normal, except for the highest calcium levels my doctor had ever seen in a woman, and high potassium.  Then, my mom, a nurse, read an article about low vitamin D, and how 85% of people in high latitudes have low Vitamin D because of the lack of direct sunlight they get 9 months out of the year.  My vitamin D sure enough tested low. I started on perscription strength supplements, and within a few months (it takes a while to increase the levels) my symptoms lessened.  I still had them off and on, but they were no longer constant.  Frustrated, I put my symptoms into Google, and came up with magnesium deficiency.  Vitamin D and Magnesium are what facilitate potassium and calcium.  Within a week of taking magesium chloride, all my symptoms disappeared.  I still get some minimal cramping when I exercise hard, and my doctor has suggested upping my dose a little.  I no longer have migranes or heart palpitations and I can fall asleep and sleep through the night.  My mom, who was diagnosed with foibromyalgia, has started taking it, but it makes her sleepy, so she takes it at night.  I have been completely amazed at the reversal of my condition.  I went from not being able to walk, to working out everyday again.  I feel great!  Hope my story helps some of you.
I have been on a walking routine for the last couple of months and I have a lot of stiffness in the back of my calves.  I had walked previously and never had this problem.  I live in Florida and I am thinking it may be related to dehydration.
Just when I thought my calf muscle stiffness was all in my head instead of my legs, I found all these comments.  My problem started right after my knee surgery, but not just the one calf muscle.  It began in both legs.  I am fine as long as I am up moving.  If I sit or lay down, and then get up my calves seem to just freeze up.  I have to stand in one place for several seconds before I can move, and when I do it is so painful that I sometimes cry.  The stiffness and pain last only a few minutes then I am fine.  That is, until I sit or lay and get up again.  It has been a year and a half since my surgery.  My GP and my orthropedic do not have a clue.  I think that they think it is just me whining.  My chriopractor started me on magnesium this week.  I haven't seen any improvement yet, but I will let you know if I do.
I also had this, really painful, found that sitting at my computer for long periods with the chair to high was partly to blame, also took some milk thistle, this is good for the Kidneys and someone had told me it may help, it was great.

Okay, I have lowered my chair, and I will definitely try some milk thistle.  I'll let you know.  Any thing is worth a try.
Since you seem to be pre-disposed to cramping then we need to address the causes. It is almost always a mineral deficiency of Potassium and Magnesium. The imbalance of sodium to potassium cause muscle cramping. Magnesium and Calcium do aid in a helpful hand as they both contain relaxing properties. Increase your Potassium rich foods as well as Magnesium and Calcium.

Secondly, don't forget to drink adequate water as dehydration will assist in muscle cramping.

Thirdly, as sitting is the shortened postition of the calf muscles then we need to consistently stretch out your calves to help relieve tension.
Wow. Amazing what a Google search will do. I assumed I was just cramping but thought I would do a search anyway. Turns out that there are others with the same issues. My calves, lower back and back of thighs and I walk all the time, like 5+ miles a day. I have never had this problem before. Sort of thought bad shoes were the culprit but new shoes aren't helping. I'm going to figure out how much of the mentioned vitamins I should be taking, and give that a shot.
These are minerals which cause cramps not vitamins!
Vitamin B12 deficiency and anamia can cause some nerve tingling also.

So it is always good to take wide range of fruits, vefetables when you are exercising. Fresh fruits are always advisable as they give you mineral, vitamins and also fibre.
You can have carrots, green leafies also.

+

Ergonomics is important, the position you stand, work out and the shoes you wear and the posture you sit while working.

Take care
HI,
To all who have added to this post: Please investigate CMT, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease. This is a hereditary disorder (no cure, sorry). My father has been diagnosed with CMT. Symptoms include weakness in the lower legs and high arched feet. I am 32 years old and am starting to experience chronic soreness in my calves. Not sure I have CMT as I am an unhealthy person in general. I drink, I smoke, I don't really exercise, and I don't eat healthy either.  I am told symptoms usually begin in mid-thirties early-forties. Haven;t seen a doctor about this yet (I am thinking a nuerologist would be best), but CMT is my first guess. I am not a doctor and this is only a guess. Hopefully this will help somebody.
Hello for the past 15 months I have been experiencing leg and hip pain from a fall.  I have had three different diagnosis...scatia, lumber spine injury to the latest...muscle sprain.  I have had every therpy you can think of but no relief.  It hurts to sit, fold legs and stand for long periods of time.  Have had x rays that shows nothing wrong.  I am begining to feel that the doctors believe that my pain does not exist or could not last as long as it has.  Any comments on this.  Thanks
1) Sciatica
2) Lumbar Spine Injury
3) Muscle sprain

Out of the three the Lumbar Spine Injury can easily be diagnosed by an X-ray or a MRI

Sciatica is a set of symptoms rather than a diagnosis for what is irritating the root of the nerve, causing the pain. MR neurography has been shown to diagnose 95% of severe sciatica patients, while as few as 15% of sciatica sufferers in the general population are diagnosed with disc-related problems.
The pain is felt in the lower back, buttock, and/or various parts of the leg and foot. In addition to pain, which is sometimes severe, there may be numbness, muscular weakness, pins and needles or tingling and difficulty in moving or controlling the leg. Typically, the symptoms are only felt on one side of the body.

Muscle sprain can be made out by clinical examination near any orthpaedician who would test the muscles of your back in all range of movements and come to diagnosis.

Based on the diagnosis we advice you to go for proper treatment near an orthopaedician. Take care!
I have found a fantastic sports gel,  but don't know if it's okay to mention the name of it on here.  
Hi!

Well go ahead!
You can mention and also mention the ingredients. (Composition)
If it is a best practice and acknowledged and proved by medical study it is well worth.

Take care!!
yes i have been having the same symptons as some of yall mine hurts in both leg but mainly in my left leg. M left leg swells the longer i am on it i have had 4 venous leg dopplars done negative on left leg 3 on the other.what could it be i had a baby 7mths ago i hear these stories oh my goodness i could have this for every i got scared about one in pelvis but the dr told me that since my leg swells it would show up on dopplar test
I'm 51 yrs old and felt the same stiffness in my both legs as if i had walked miles miles away. I hardly sleep at night without stretching my legs, sometimes it relieves me but more often, not. I had some varicose veins some are tiny ones.  Does this cause the pains in my legs or does arthritis contributes too?  Please help me.
Hello!

Arthritis is pain in the joints, and if you have them in ankle, knee, hip or any bone in the legs you experience these symptoms.
Varicose veins also contribute to this.
You need to go for treatment of your varicose veins to a vascular surgeon and should follow up on arthritis near an Orthopedician.

Take care!

Post pregnancy you need to think about eclampsia, which is increase in blood pressure and also anaemia when you have blood loss and the haemoglobin decreases and you have these swelling in legs.
Consider both of these for your diagnosis.
Doppler will rule out clots, DVT.

Take care!

It's nice to finally find other people with the same problem.
I'm 24 years old male, and have the same symptoms as mentioned above.
Usually I'm in a good and healthy shape, doing sports and watching my diet.
2.5 years ago I've started to feel pain in both of my calfs. The pain is always there, on some level. When I stand for 15/20 min or walk for 1 mile I just have to sit down from the burning pain in my legs.

The only thing that I've found helpful is a good massage to that area, but the affect goes away after 2 days.

As everybody here, I've done almost every test possible: blood test, legs MRI, CT, EMG, Ultrasound etc.
All of the tests were indicating that everything is ok. I saw many doctors, some thought it's the lower compartment syndrome, but it just doesn't seem to be right.

Other  thought it may be something in my lower back that's radiating on my legs. I have scheduled a MRI test the lower back, hoping the answer will come from there.

I will soon post weather the lower back MRI helped in this matter or not.
If anyone had any progress, or found a solution to this frustrating problem, please let me know.

nadav_neu***@****

Thanks,
             Nadav.
Dear Nadav,

Sometimes the diagnosis poses the maximum delay.
You should also go for mineral estimation to check for mineral balance and also blood sugar and blood pressure estimation.
Take care and well go ahead with the MRI of the back.
Looks like Im a late comer to this forum... well, if anyone still perusing this message board, I have been experiencing the same calf tightness for a couple of days now. I did play basketball two days ago (for the first time in a year!), but not strenuously. Yet the next day, my calves (not thighs or feet interestingly) felt tight.. but not sore. I run once a week for a few miles, and this sort of discomfort hasnt occurred in the way that it is so localized. I guess what Im asking the forum is,... has anyone ever experienced muscle pain that doesnt seem to follow logic or discernible origin?
Hello!

This is not common. As you have played basket ball after a year you might have put maximum pressure on your calves while jumping, running, dribbling and moving around so you have calf tenderness. Rest, ice packs and anti inflammatory drugs will relieve your pain.
Take care!
To all the leg spasm sufferers.  I, too, have excruciating spasms in both calves, however, I also get them in the muscles behind my knees and in my foot like a swimmers cramp.  I get these mostly at night, they actually wake me up and I talk to the muscles, lol.  My doctor doesn't know what's going on but they are every night and sometimes during the day.  Anybody got any info?
Hello!

Age is an important factor as with increase in age and with fatigue this can occur. You need to do some basic tests on your vitals like Hemoglobin, blood sugar and blood pressure estimation and if possible mineral estimation.
Any abnormality you can follow up with a Physician.

Till then you can take occasional pain killers, ice the area, exercise regularly and have a balanced diet nutritionally rich in minerals and vitamins.

Take care!
I have had similar symptoms for at least 10 years in regard to the burning, sore calf muscles that feel like a lactic acid buildup. I tried switching to soy milk, taking vitamins, and massage with minimal improvement. I have noticed that eating certain foods makes the tightness worse. I also have a migraine condition that is exacerbated by certain foods. When the leg burning is bad, my quadriceps often also get very sore and tight, feeling "ropey".

In regard to the cramping, if I encourage my leg muscles to cramp (and boy that hurts!) for a while afterwards the burning sensation leaves.

I suspect that since it gets worse after eating certain foods, and often feels better all by itself several hours after I have eaten, that there is some compound that my body is not digesting properly, or is somehow combining with some other chemical that eventually gets processed by my kidneys?? perhaps?? Perhaps the viral theory is appropriate, since so many people seem to be experiencing the same symptoms, and it is very unlikely that we are all related to each other (genetics).
I've recently started experiencing this, and it began to appear right after I started taking Cod Liver Oil (in gel pill form).

Not sure if the two are related, but I may stop taking them to see if ti subsides. (Cod Live Oil is VERY high in vitamin A & D. Not sure if or how this all could be related. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.)
Hello!

There are conditions called Hypervitaminosis, where you suffer from these symptoms with excessive vitamin A.
If anyone have these symptoms take vitamins under prescriptions and after titrating the dosage properly which is different for different individuals which is related to age and weight of the individual.

Take care!
Ever hear of or tried Trigger Point Release? I use a Thera Cane on my calves now and then to release the muscle tension and get the blood flowing again. I get this  my thyroidism, but it is obvious from this long post that many people have tight calve muscles.

A product called Hylands Leg Cramps works great at night.
I have had the same symptoms, I was always healthy exercised daily, no health problems, then one day out of the blue I began to experience stabbing sharp musle pain in my calf. After a month or two the stabbing pains, and muscle spasms became more intense, my muscle strength seemed to deminsh and the pain continued whether I worked out or not. The pain then continued to my feet. Pins and needles, My legs,calves and feet were so stiff I could hardly get out of bed or get up after sitting for awhile. The pain has just progressed over the past year and a half. I began to experience swelling and redness in my feet and knees and my lower body feels bruised and tender like I have been beat up. I havenot hadmany issues with the upper body excpt it seems over use of my hands(writing,doing yard work, raking leaves) causescramps and soreness. The muscle spasms are mainly in my legs but will show up in other places as well. I have been to my GP, 2 Rhematologist, and Nuerologist, all with good backgrounds from Stanford, John Hopkins and Mayo Clinic. All blood tests negative, no autoimmune disease, no infection, no cancer, not thyroid, I am not diabetic, no nueropathy or vitamin deficiency.....so and so on. They all diagnosed me with FIBROMYALGIA /CFS. This when the nuerotransmitters over stimulate causing the body to overact sending out increased pain signals affecting tendons, muscles, and fascia tissue.I have had difficulty accepting this dianosis because I was healthy one day and can hardly walk the next? A sleep study was done and it deterrmined I do not get past stage 2 of sleep, this can contribute to pain, fatigue,muscle cramps tremors etc because the body does not recuperate, this includes the brain and muscles. I am on several medications: but recently I was prescribed Savella which tends to to help alot with the leg and feet pain. After 2 weeks I could actually get up and walk with out crying or feeling like I had claw feet. I also take Zanaflex for muscle spasms and cramps, and Temazepam for sleep and Utram ER for pain and vitaman B12, I am trying to accept this diagnosis so I can move and come to an acceptance. My last blood test did indicate high levels of Iron which can cause symptoms of CFS/FM. My doctor is doing further testing for a more accurate reading. The doctor also stated I have Plantar Fasciitis.This is where fascia of feet is affected making it very difficult to walk , causing crmps in feet, heels and calves.It often affects people who exercisea lot and have flat feetor a high arch. This is being treated with northodics, night splints, no weight bearing exercise night splints and foot streching exercise which have helped. as Platar Facsiitis affects bottom of the foot up in to the calf. Please check into these things as you may find some relief.Good Luck!
How many with this symptom also:

1. Drink coffee or other caffinated drinks?
2. Have tightness in other muscles, such as necks, forearms, hands, or foot arches (plantar faciitis)?
3. Experience worse symptoms during certain times of the season (such as winter).
4. Experience a relaxing of the tight muscles and ease of symptoms with a glass or two of wine (or other relaxant)?
5. Have slight tremors in the hands during grasping activity?
6. Share other common symptoms? (please share)
I too have pain in my calf, ankle and low back. I have had all the test and still nothing. I came across a book after learning about 'knotted up muscles and trigger points' on the internet. It is called "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" Second Edition.  By Clair Davies  Or research information about Trigger Points.  Some of you may find this could help you.  Good luck. I feel your pain also.
Hello everyone,

I've posted my status in this forum in Aug 2009, here is a part of it:
" ... I'm 24 years old male, and have the same symptoms as mentioned above.

The only thing that I've found helpful is a good massage to that area, but the affect goes away after 2 days"

As I said in that message, I went to do a MRI test of my lower back to see if there is any connection. Finally, after 4 years of tests, I think I have a real "lead" on the case. It seems that my nerves, that goes from the spine to my legs are being compressed by one of my back discs. It causes the excat symptoms that I have (and everybody here), and it even has a name. It's called "Lumbar Spinal Canal Stenosis". A known Cause of Back and Leg Pain.

I hope this was helpful. This link can shed some light on the subject: http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/common/brain/disorders/256.html

Take Care,

N.

Hello!!

I'm a 22 year old female..and I've been having the same problems for around 3 years. Sore calf muscles..sometimes I cant even stand. I figured it was because of my job..since I stand all day. Then I started to realize it happens everyday..even if I don't do anything. I have read this forum and decided to try some of these things. My doctor also told me it could be because of my low potassium levels..I've been eating a banana every morning and the pain isn't as bad.
I highly highly recommend acupuncture.  Trust me, I was as skeptical as anyone, and I am still not convinced it will help with the root cause to my foot/calf pain problems (as my practitioner claims).  But I can say with confidence that this has helped me manage the pain significantly.  The first treatment I went for (3 months ago) made the pain disappear.  Recently it has started up again, and I just went for another session.  I'm looking forward to another 3 months pain free!  
Hi Everyone,
I too had this issue within the last 3-4 days. This started when I was fasting, having only a lunch daily. I have a feeling that this is due to lack of vitamins/minerals & I am going to start the same.

Also a simple massage of the calf muscles for a few minutes seems to bring immediate relief. Will post the results on this page when I am done.

Interesting to know that I am not alone.

regs

George
It's a beautiful thing to know you're not alone.. I'm 60. My calves started to have a life of their own 3 years ago.. I had just started BP meds, the side affects were brutal..Tried 9 other types, NO RELIEF..we took every position from nutrition to neurologists.. tried a dozen different dr's, nothing..My calves feel like they have a colony of beetles living in them, if they are not cramping or getting 'charlie horses' in my feet, they are 'bubbling, popping and twitching.. I'm lost..feeling hopeless.. If a calve muscle is acting like this.. what is going on with a heart muscle?  Muscles are muscles..So I do stretches, lots and lots of stretches, hang ten on the steps, bike, yoga, trampoline, jumprope you name it, something everyday.. Relief is temporary to none.. BUT.. I HAVE THE MOST GOREOUS CALVES YOU HAVE EVER SEEN.. I FOUND A SILVER LINING... maybe its the universes way of saying EXCERSIZE..  LONI!!! so don't give up...
I've found myself with the a similar problem for almost two years now, I'm 28. My calves hurt every day. I am limited in my walking, I avoid stairs, and I can't even ride a bike. I have no idea what this could be. Has anyone figured anything out????

A persistent soreness. I've tried eating bananas every day, I've taken supplements for magnesium and potassium. Now I'm going to start munching on Spirulina everyday. I've also started taking a shot of Cayenne pepper everyday to maybe aid with circulation and healing to the area. So far, No relief.

Hello all,

I've had trouble with my legs for the past couple of years.  I've tried everything from taking extra potassium to stretching and massage.  Two years ago, the problem started as what I thought was a severe charlie horse.  That problem persisted and the muscles tightened to the point that my calf muscles both ripped.  My legs were bruised from the knee down and I couldn't walk for several weeks.  Once that problem healed, I didn't have any issues until this past month.  The muscles started again with the charlie horse feeling and have been continually tightening ever since.  Again, I've tried heat wraps, all kinds of muscle creams, massage, extra water, potassium, aspirin, muscle relaxers.. Nothing helps.

I have Fibromyalgia, but I'm 33 and I've had FM for 20 years, but I've never had these types of problems before the incident 2 years ago.

Any help/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

~ K ~
9 mos ago I started having difficulty walking, was told by GP start Magnesium.Months later after MRI,Venous Dopplars,many tests all negative, many Doctors later ,Neurologist diagnosis "Diabetic Neuropathy" type 2 diabetes.
Sugars now under control, CANNOT WALK with out  a walker and "not very well" balance really bad,pain at night excruciating. My whole world is upside down. Stiffness in both legs after lying down, sitting,walking or Physical Therapy.Doctors are at a loss no one can tell me anything,they just keep saying hang in there. I take a vitamin pack for diabetics,Magnesium,drink lots of water, watch everything I eat....nothing seems to help. I want to walk again..anyone experienced this and got back to normal ?
I have a question for those experiencing calf and muscle pain, especially if it seemed to come on all of a sudden.  Have you taken a flouroquinolone antibiotic (Levaquin, Avelox, Cipro, Floxin) right before or up to several months before the onset of the pain.  I took Levaquin back in 2008 and my tendons, especially the achilles and the backs of my calves were greatly affected.  I could hardly walk the first 2 months.  Now, the pain is less, but the stiffness and tightness in my muscle endures.  Two months after I took Levaquin, a black box warining was issued for all flouroquinolone antibiotics in regards to tendon problems.  Something to consider.

LevaquinFloxed
I am 15 and experiencing this exact same problem. I have no idea what to do for relief, and no one seems to believe me about it.
im 15 and experiencing this exact same problem. No one seems to believe me about it
Like other forum members, I am relieved to know my symptoms are common to others too. Its driving me crackers. I have pain in my calf muscles which came on suddenly about 7 months ago now pretty much all the time but its worse when I stand up after sitting or sleeping and eases off when I walk. I am completely flat footed and have always had problems with my feet so it was thought that I needed new orthotics but that hasn't helped. I have also had a scan but that didn't reveal anything. I am generally pretty healthy and keep fit. I haven't been able to properly exercise for months. After reading these entries I have booked an appointment for my Dr tomorrow to get tested for vitamin/mineral defficiency. I'll let you know how I get on. I just want a diagnosis.
I saw a documentary on TV for a woman who was complaining of sore leg muscles that seems really similar to what many people are talking about.  She was diagnosed with ADDISON'S DISEASE.

One of the other common symptoms is a craving for salty foods - this seems to be somehow related to ideas other people had about reducing or increasing salt intake.

Also, if you look up the symptoms, muscle weakness (but not soreness) is typically listed. But given this woman's serious problems with her leg muscles, it seems clear that this disease (which is related to a particular hormone dysfunction) involves serious muscle pain as well.

wow i am not alone. i was reading an article about this on the net i will give you the URL at the end .it has worked for me:) but saying that i do how ever replace my soft orthotics and shoes often . i have found that my pain is mainly cause by posture and wearing crap shoes. even some of the expensive brand shoes are just crap so what did i do to help myself first do your research on sports shoes ( only two companies i have found are serious when it comes to foot health and posture ) asics and new balance.(i am no way affiliated with theses companies. and this info came down to research of my own .
these two manufactures build shoes that are designed for either hyperpronator and supernator and neutral postures .they are not overly expensive shoes .a lot of research goes into the product .
ok have a look on the net about the above conditions of posture and (hypernating and supernating) it all there dont belive what the sale kid tells you about shoes most of them havent a clue go to a sports clinic see a physio see a foot specialist. look it up read .
i wear 6.0 mm soft orthotic incerts with arch supports to correct my posture and my calf pain heal pain only comes back when i wear worn out shoes and the orthotic need replacing i do this every six months or so and no more pain for me .plus a good massage and so physiotherapy and a stretching routine to boot.

try it out if it relives your pain by 25% that cant be too bad but i am sure the benifits will be far better than that.

anyway off the shop to buy a new pair of innersoles (orthotics)
oh and i also buy 2 pairs of new balance shoes (hyperpronators) at once and usually ware then alternate weeks  and i get 12 month before i buy another 2 pairs and usually go through about 4 pairs of innersoles (orthotic supports) from the chemist per year.
i DO NOT WEAR SLIP ON  shoes at all . and i only wear lace up shoes now.
it all helps.
richard
sorry i forgot the URL for you all to have a look at if you read about it it dose tend to make sense as well it will explain about hyperpronating and supernating. dont worry about the sales bit but do the test you will be amazed and then youw ill have an idea about what also can cause this pain.
i am no way affilliated with the site i found it when i was surfing about the calf pains too
and saw my foot specialist and we came to the same conclusion .i worked for me it might just work for you i know what it is like to suffer this for years and a bit of relife if not pain free is better than nothing i still have a bad day from time to time but this is my indicator to get new shoes or inserts .
it just works for me
Hi, I posted about my calves before. I went to the doctors and he said it was low potassium. I felt good for a little while then all of a sudden my pain came back. It's getting worse and I'm afraid because my job requires lots of walking (fast). I also like to run but it's become impossible due to the pain in my legs. Sometimes they get so bad when I get up my fiance has to stretch my legs for me before I can even get out of bed. It's also causing me to lose sleep because the pain is so bad I can't sleep!! It's affecting my life and sometimes I just cry. I'm only 23.
Definitely have your Vitamin D levels checked (mine were low too) and a good exclusionary work up with some standard lab tests.  Moist heat on the back of the thighs/ calves helps me to get to and stay asleep. Also, a relaxation/ hypnosis tape or CD at bedtime might aid in getting into a deeper, more restorative stage of sleep--these are all things I have found have helped.  I also started taking Omega 3, 6 & 9 combo for the multiple benefits also linked to serotonin levels and brain function. Fibromyalgia has been proven to have a link to malfunction/ hypersensitivity to brain perception of pain. Mind over matter: I know if you think you can heal--many times your body just needs time, good nutrition and sleep and stress reduction to heal.
What a lifesaver to see that I am not alone.
I am a 42 year old woman who has been going to the doctors for the past 6 months with the same exact symptons that I am reading so many people talking about.
Ii started with tingling in my feet, then over time my calves hurt. I explain it by saying it feels like a dull toothache, and the stiffness is scary.
I have been tested, for several things, and everything has come back negative. I did have a low Vitam D,a nd my docotr put me on the regiment of high dose vitamin D. My leg pain is still here.
I am going to request a lower back MRI to see if this shows anything, but I am lost and frustrated.
I felt so alone until today. Please let me know if anyone has found any information on what this possibly can be, I feel liek I will be in a wheelchair in a year if this continues
Well I have noticed the same problem. I am 38 yrs old, active and work at UPS and regularly weightlift and do minor leg lifts to keep my body strong. About almost 2 yrs ago I got that sciatic nerve from twisting the wrong way. I took Ibuprofine 800 off and on, but really most of the guys at work just deal with it. I was okay with that until a few months ago I felt a tightening in my hamstring. Odd, but I stretched and had my youngest son stand on my hams and it really felt good and loose. Then around early March of 2010 the calf has become a problem on my left leg. My right side of my leg and rest of my body is still great, like I can stay up forever. My left leg where I feel the pain shooting down the side down to my calf is so tight at times I don't want to walk. When I go to sleep it feels great and when I wake up it's okay until the day wears on and the calf feels heavy and tight. An old timer told me at work this happened to his wife and hers went away. He told me I need to get Vitamin D with calcium.  I did back off on the milk and was not taking my vitamins regularly. I figured I did not need the Vit-D anymore. I used to take whey protein shakes because of all the nutrients in it for my workouts. I started on the protein shakes again because of the high calcium and potassium and b-vitamins etc.  I went to by gel inserts to wear at work in my shoes to give me more comfort from standing on that concrete at the airport all day. I will not do surgery, but I think it's time to see a chiropractor to see if I also have a compressed disc. When I was in high school, I was a running back and I got a hip pointer when I was tackled on my left side of my hip.  I am not sure if that has come back to haunt me. So far, I have been able to go to work everyday, and hit helps to sit down when I can. I do feel a little tingling in my left foot sometimes. I feel like a have a pinched nerve somewhere. I am trying to also lay off the soda and any caffeine because I read that it contributes to bone loss. Plus trying to decrease sodium intake in many of the canned foods I buy at the store. Some basic canned foods like corn have over 360mg of sodium, my spaghetti sauce over 630mg and my beans over 550mg. I am eating more salad too. I will post later if I feel differently now that i am back on the protein shake.
I have been expericing a dull aching throbbing pain in my calves and thighs. I have had epidural injections, MRI, leg doppler(ultra sound) for cirrculation and everything comes back ok. everday I get up and in just a few minutes of walking both my legs start hurting so bad. I have taken pain medication and it does not help. I am wondering if its something to do with the muscles in my calves and thighs? if anyone can give me some feed back on this I would appreciate it very much.
Hurting in Houston!!
Well I finally got the nerve to go to see the chiropractor near me. Most of the guys from work go there and the guy who told me to go, it's his dad's and brother's practice. I went in on Monday, May 17th, 2010 in the morning. Told him about the pain in my left leg shooting down to my feet. He had me stand and do different drills to get an idea of where the pain is when I twist and bend down. He x-rayed me at 9am and later that afternoon around 3pm I went back to go over the x-rays. I did have my spine out of alignment to the right a bit, not really the big problem and then we looked at the lower part of the spine near my tailbone and one of my discs is closer to another dic. it did not look that bad, but I could see where the possible pinching is coming from. Luckily we caught it in time, considered stage 1. If it goes to stage 2 and 3 it would just get worse. He then took me to the room , I laid on my front and he pushed on my middle back and upper back and l could feel the back loosen up and crack. He then got me on my side, putting one leg towards my chest and adjusted me and I really felt that one. Did not hurt, but I heard and felt my body adjust all over. I felt really loose and went home and slept for about 4 hours. I then went to work from 10pm to 6am at UPS. it is now almost 10am, and I feel good and uptempo.  I still have 29 sessions to go, but now I am on my way to recovery, I hope.  My leg does not hurt so much, but until we get my back aligned and re-x-rayed and the pain really goes away, I will be happy.   I take my protein shake in the morning and vitamin d-calcium gel pills to keep my bones strong. I continue to weight lift, but more carefully. I take my vitamins and try to lay off the caffeins. I do not feel tired right now and will go watch t.v. and then sleep before work tonight. I still feel a little throbbing in my left calf area. I will write back at the end of the month.
In January of 2010 I was at work doing some training which requires a lot of bending and kneeling. After two days I felt a lot of BURNING in my thigh, calf and lower back. This I taught was not uncommon for someone like me who is very unfit. What was surprising was the fact that with a couple of days I had numbness in my left leg and toes, groin area, buttocks and penis. I also noticed that it was difficult to pee and use the bathroom.

I went to the ER did an MRI which showed I had an ABNORMAL HETEROGENEOUS ENHANCEMENT OF THE CONUS MEDULLARIS AND THE CAUDA EQUINA ROOT. Their basic diagnostic was GUILLAIN-BAREE SYNDROME. So I did my doctors are saying that it is not Guillian-Baree.

I did perhaps all the possible blood work and test and they all came back negative. Have also started multi-vitamins, magnesium supplement, vitamin D supplement, tried heating, cold pads and massage. The heat and massage works, but the relief is temporary.

To date I cannot tell what type of day I will be having, one the pain and stiffness in minimal the next day it’s severe. I must say as well that the only medicine I was prescribe was pain killers which work ok but seem to cause constipation.

I have done 10 treatment of chiro and am now doing physico 2 times per week. Exercise use to work but now I’m not seeing too much benefit. I am yet to be diagnosed with anything so far also to say that my physio seems to think that there is some type of compression happening on my lower spine, which is causing the pain in my buttock and down my leg. This seems concur with most of the articles I have read, however, none of the Three MRI I did showed any kind of herniation of compression. (Sound really funny at times)
Questions, can the MRI be wrong? and does any one have similar symptoms?
Walk in and have a chiropractor x-ray u same day and go over it with you. I went to kaiser and they said everything was fine. Kaiser was looking more for anything broken. I saw my x-ray the same day and I was right I knew I had a minor compression, not as bad as other people, but if I continued to be stubborn and just take pain killers and the IBUProfane 800, I would not have cought this at such an early stage. Last friday, 5/21/2010 the chiropractor pulled my leg and I could feel the adjustment on my left hip. Since then along with my first week of going there, I have not needed any medication. The tightness in my calf has gone away and the bad pain along my left leg has subsided for now. I feel like I did before I had any problems, great.  For now, I continue to get better and work on the subluxation, they call it on the nerve that is being pinched(compressed by the disc). I am glad I saw the x-ray and went over it with him. Beware: some chiropractors send you out to get x-rays. Find one that does the x-rays, in house, at their own facility and who goes over it. Many of the doctors at the hospitals do not know what to look at. take care
I have been plagued with many of the symptoms mentioned above.  Got out of bed one morning and when I went to stand, my legs went out from under me.  I am going to make my long story short.  For a year, I went to doctors, tests, research ... no help.  So I started spending hours on the net searching.  I figured if it wasn't anything showing up in all the tests etc, it might be nutrition.  So, two months ago I put together the following daily routine.  

1,  starting first thing in the morning, drink at least 8 - 10 glasses of water a day from your tap.  (not bottled - full of its own problems) .

2.  start taking a good multi vitamin suppliment

3.  soake feet or bath in a mixture of epsom salts.  (search details) daily for at least two weeks then every two or three days.   Especiallly good after exercise.

4.  Look up benefits off INCLINE BED THERAPY or.  (Andrew K Fletcher)

5.  Eat clean.  Greatly reduce pop, coffee and junk foods.

I started this two months ago and at the time was a 10/10 for pain and soreness.  Now, I am about 2/10 and improving daily.  This won't cost much and will hopefully give you the relief that I am slowly experiencing.  Be patient as it was about two weeks +/- before I started to experience gradual relief.

All the best!
Being a tennis player, closing in on age 50, I ended up suffereing the symtoms of plantar
fascitis. Both feet and for almost a year. On occasion I felt a painful ache in my (right) calf
which recently returned with a vengance. The almost unbearable pain was like others described on this blog. Why my right leg is worse might have to do with driving, working the gas pedal.  
Here are some observations, theories I have:
  -The severe pain struck in the moring after working (computer, indoor, no exercise) for 4 days straight. Less exercise and less sun.
  - Worst attach when the weather was cloudy all week, again sun, vitamin D ?
  - I suspect that eating restaurant food may be a problem due to high salt (sodium?).
  - The pain seemed to creep on to my right shin bone which felt bruised, dull consistent pain for an entire day (yesterday, vitamin D deficiency?)
Dear diary: today I feel pain-free. Here is what I ate yesterday:
  - Bananas and calcium/magnesium supplements and vitamin C .
  - Vitamin D supplement capsule.
  - Ground flaxseed with milk as breakfast cereal (essential fatty acids).
I can only guess but suspect flaxseed may help and am not in the mood to re-discover the
aching pain so will continue with the above diet and hope to remain pain-free.  - Mr SanDiego
I am having the exact same problem with both of my legs...but mine just started today. It worries me because about 24 hrs prior to the almost unbearable pain, I had a burning sensation on the back of my leg...no pain at all then. I remember thinking why does my leg feel like it's hot? It wasn't actually warm to the touch but I was having the sensation that it was. I also remember having to try and position myself differently when driving, prior to the pain, because I couldn't get my right leg in a position that didn't feel like I was over-exerting it or something...it was the oddest feeling. I have had sore muscles before from running, exercising and even from a cramp but NONE of these things have happened. And this pain is ten times worse than a sore muscle. It is pretty much unbearable when I walk...I almost have to waddle. If anyone has a clue what may be causing this please post! :) I swear by Ibuprofen, for soreness especially, but an 800mg didn't even touch this pain.
Same Problem as all of you.  Been everywhere.  This all started after I was put on High Cholestral Med's.  I stopped taking them but the pain never went away.  Every day is different from burning sensations to sore lower back, knees...  my groin area feels like I pulled somethign when I didn't.   I have been to a Chiropracter which I think helped but not sure.   The MRI's show nothing wrong.   This is very strange.
I have been having similar symptoms. I have tight and painful calves that will twitch or spasm. They also feel like they are going to cramp, but never do. As a teacher the calf pain was a problem since I was constantly on my feet and at points could barely walk completely around my classroom. All of my bloodwork came back normal and my MRI of the spine came back normal with no pinched nerve. I went and saw a neurologist who put me on gabapentin 100mg 3 times a day. This helped a lot! I was able to start exercising again, running along with other exercises. As long as I was taking the medication I had no calf pain at all, but I did get daily headaches. The medication though affects everyone differently since my father who is on the same medication for his neuropathy has not headaches or side effects. My neurologist switched me to topamax, which is similar to gabapentin and should relieve the headaches that I was experiencing. I start the tompoamax tomorrow and will try to let you guys know how it helps. Hope this helps others out there.
I was walking on treadmill up to an hour a day and all of a sudden I wasn't able to walk a block without severe pain in both calfs.  I wake up in the night with charley horses in both legs and if I stretch my legs I can cause charley's just stretching.  My calfs muscles are so tight they sometimes hurt constently.  And I have noticed having loss of strength in other parts of my body. Yes I was on Levaquin for quite an extended period of time.  I also have salt cravings - and more salt seems to make things worse.  Would like to resume exercise but don't have the strength.  Any more ideas?
Laurie
should have added that I have tried adding more water as well as larger does of magnesium w/calcium - also potassium - I don't think vitamin or mineral deficiency has anything to do with this.
Hi everyone.  I've been experience burning pain in both calves and tightness as well.  On a pain scale of 1-10, when it's really bad, I'm at about a 7 or 8.  I'm convinced it's muscular and not related to anything else like joints or nerves.  The reason for the pain:  I think my calves are just over worked.  A little background on me: I'm a male, 39 who's really active and loves tennis.  My calves are really developed, one might say ripped.  Over the years, the larger muscles have worked way too hard as they've been compensating for weak ankles and those little balancing/stabilizer muscles around the ankles.  I've sprained my ankles more times than I care to remember.  I also tend to suponate (walk on the outside part of my foot).  These things have caused my calf muscles to "over react".  Now, they're just used to being in this state, and I'm currently trying to rewire them to relax again.  Here's what's worked for me.

If you don't have a foam roller, you should get one.  I like the black ones as they're the firmest.  I start off sitting with my legs out in front and gently roll my calves one at a time.  If yours are as sensitive as mine, you'll easily find "hot spots."  When you do, rest on them for 15-20 seconds.  Do this for about 5 minutes total.  

Next, do light calf stretches for the upper and lower calves.  Since your muscles are already hyper sensitive, I mean LIGHT stretching, going only until you start feeling the stretch and then maybe a little beyond that.  Do this for 20-30 seconds.

Next, I really suggest you get a TENS unit.  They're great!   You can get them on Amazon for $50-$100.  TENS your calf muscles while you ice them for 20 minutes.  The entire session takes about 30 minutes, and I like to do it in front of the TV at night.  Be warned, you may be sore afterwords.  

This is to help you with flare ups and well as maintenance.  To tackle the root of the problem, you'll really need to get in touch with your body and see which muscles are actually causing the pain.  Pain radiates and it may just be one or two muscles that are really in distress.  For me, I think it's the perineals and some smaller something or other around my achilles tendon.  I put the TENS pads directly over those areas and it rrrreally feels good!  Also, when I walk nowadays, I really focus on using my entire foot, letting it stretch and meld with the ground instead of hitting the ground like a stiff board.  That helps as it stretches the foot as I walk.  

I've improved about 60-70% over 2 days of doing this.  If it doesn't seem to progress more, I'm going to go to acupuncture.  If you find the right guy (for me this means someone who approaches it from a Western point of view, i.e., looking at the anatomy as a physical thing, not some energy field), he can do wonders.  I find acupuncture one of the most effective things against muscular ailments.  Good luck everyone!
Well

I am 35 year old male and have been having this issue of pain in my calves for the past 2-3 years. Had initially put it down to exercise but can't just be this. Used to find it more hurtful when on a plane journey but when wearing flight socks the pain would not be as bad/sore. I have been wearing the flight socks on a day on day off basis and it helps big time with the pain and soreness. Try it out. I am also icing and am going to try a tenas unit.

hpoefully some bit of a help
ACCUPUNCTURE works!  I have very very stiff calves that make it hard to enjoy life.   I herniated 2 discs in my low back 5 years ago.  Started running after year 4, but ended up with excrutiating nerve pain in my left foot after a few weeks.  It felt like electrical shocks of lightening shooting into my toes...worst pain ever.  Chiropractor could not figure it out as he tested me with the straight leg raises and no symptoms.  Called in his partner, same diagnosis, i.e. not related to the disc injury.  They recommended accupuncture and as I had nothing to lose, I tried it.  This was with a doctor of Chinese medicine so she knows what she's doing.  I have been seeing her for a year and a half now and am almost pain-free.  She needles my glutes, hamstrings, IT bands, and all the muscles in my calves.  She also uses electricity with the needles and the results are amazing.  I started out 3 times a week at first but am down to twice monthly now, or more if needed.  She said that tight calves are a common problem and just the way those muscles are.  I would highly highly recommend this treatment.  Also, regular stretching, walking, massage, at least 2 litres of water a day, good nutrition, low sugar intake.  The burning pain some posters were referring to is nerve pain, by the way.  Sometimes the muscles around the nerves are too tight and compress them.  I hope my post helps someone, and I wish you all the success in the world.