Exercise & Fitness Community
Sprained ankle, dull red area w/ burning sensation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

So a week ago I sprained my ankle playing volleyball and I immediately recognized that I sprained it because this is my 3rd-4th time spraining it.  I followed the recover procedure and Iced it right away and kept it elevated.  

Around the 4th day of the healing process it all seemed to be going well and good, swelling was reducing and the pain seemed to be decreasing.  But that day I had to attend school for 6 hours where I couldn't elevate my foot(I use crutches to get get around).  That day I came home and put some pain relieving medicine on it and iced it.  I had also noticed that the swelling had gotten much worse and foot had gotten much fatter.

The next day I woke up to a sort of burning sensation pain over the sprained ankle.  When I reached for my crutches and got out of bed, the pain immediately hit me.  It felt like there was so much weight on my ankle as if my ankle was burning.  I rested it the whole day.

The next day, today, I awoke to the same feeling but kind of noticed that there was a small dull red area around my ankle.  It doesn't hurt when I keep it rested but when I put weight on it or go to use the crutches I get this burning sensation/tingling feeling and it's really painful.  I've done some research and the only thing I could come up with is that it's possibly infected but I don't have a fever.  My foot isn't as swollen as it was when it had gotten really fat but the pain is still there.

So I was wondering what it could be because I've sprained my ankle before but have never experienced this burning/hot sensation?
All I could recommend at this time is to see a doctor and continue to stay off your foot.
I've stayed off my foot but have yet to see a doctor which I should probably schedule really soon.

The pain has gone away and I have rotation with my foot.  I can move it left and right and up and down but not fully.  The swelling still occurs though, only when I'm in school and have no where to elevate my foot.

I'm well aware that my ankle still hasn't healed fully, I haven't attempted to even walk on it yet.  But it's been almost four weeks now.  I've been done doing some research and I'm under the impression that my sprain is most likely a Level II, but it could possibly be a high ankle sprain.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
As there is still a swelling and pain,so this definitely needs evaluation.Fracture even as small as hair line fracture,dislocations and muscle tear or ligament tear have to be probed.MRI of the ankle and X-rays are needed to confirm the diagnosis.Burning pain is due to compression of the nerves in the area.Pls consult an orthopedician and get yourself evaluated.
Hope it helps.Kind regards.
This is a super late reply ( a year late:) But it may help others. I have had a sprained ankle for 9 days so far and I am experiencing the same redness, swelling and burning sensation. I'm pretty sure it's due to frost/ice burn from leaving ice on it for too long. I thought it would be okay because I had a barrier between the ice and my skin, but I had the bag of ice on it overnight for two nights. Be sure to follow directions!!! I didn't and I'm paying for it :( The redness has gone away since I stopped icing it and the ankle is still getting better, the burning sensation is still there when I get up to walk with the crutches but after a few min. it seems to go away, but my skin in that area is really sensitive to the touch. It could be something else, but considering it feels like a burn you would get from a hot pan or stove, I'm guessing it's an ice burn. Like you (beefjerky) a week into my sprain it seemed to be healing fine, until this redness showed up and the burning with it. Everyone, be sure to follow directions with icing an injury! 20 min. is the max time to leave ice on! And it's for a reason, you can get frost bite and damage tissues! Be very careful!
And if anyone knows why the pain worsens when i stand up and gravity has it's way with my sprain...information would be appreciated. I know it has something to do with the blood rushing to my foot. :( This Thursday will be the end of week 2 of this sprain....
How's your ankle now my foot is doin the samething like blood is rushin back down to it and it does hurt! How did u treat it!?
I can't believe that other people have the skin burning in the ankle sprain area.  Mine Burned when I did it two weeks ago and then let up some.  Now it's burning a lot.  I don't think it could be from an ice burn.  Any other thoughts?  I have not been to the doctor's.