Exercise & Fitness Community
Stabbing bicep pain when I lift my arm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Stabbing bicep pain when I lift my arm

For the last 3 months (since April 2005), I've developed a stabbing pain in my left bicep when my arm is in certain positions.  The pain is located deep within my arm in the center of my upper arm and is very intense (i.e., level 8-10) as if a knife was plunged into the center of my bicep.  When the pain happens, I have to use my right arm to pick up the left arm and move it into a neutral position down and in front of me.  Depending on how intense the episode was, it can take anywhere from 5-10 seconds for the pain to subside and disappear completely.

The pain happens when I lift my arm into certain positions (i.e., overhead presses especially when my arm lifts next to my head or behind my head).  I am no longer able to put a bar behind my neck and grip it from behind.  The motion of bringing my arm up and back to grasp the bar is excrutiating.  It doesn't matter if I'm lifting weights or not -- I experience the pain in my everyday life too whenever my arm is raised, bent at the elbow, and moved backward.  Note, I am able to do bicep curls or hammer curls with 5# weights without pain so any bicep-related activity in front of my body is pain free.  Tricep kick backs and tricep "push ups" are also pain free.

I have been active, including aerobics, biking, skiing, lifting weights (5# or less), on and off all my life and 3-4 times a week since late last year and consider myself in excellent shape and am of a normal weight for my height and age (45).

Note, I broke my ankle in June so didn't exercise much at all for 2 months but the arm pain is still there.
I have EXACTLY the same symptom...
So... I am anxious to learn what it is too.
I've been racking my brain trying to think of what things have happened to me last Spring with my arm which could be the cause of this pain and I remembered something which might be relevant.  While walking my 95 pound Golden Retriever on a retractable leash, I stopped to talk with a neighbor.  Unbeknownst to me, my dog, who was already at the full length of the leash, saw a squirrel and bolted after it. My left arm was suddenly jerked outward which caused some initial pain which eventually receded by the end of the day.  I'm wondering now if perhaps I could have pulled a deep muscle within my bicep.  If that is the case, I'm wondering how long it will take to be painfree.
I have new information to share on this topic for anyone who is interested.  The pain just wasn't going away so I visted an orthopedic doctor today and learned that the dog-leash incident is the cause of my problem.  Apparently I have an inflammation in the area where my shoulder joins with my arm.  The shoulder area doesn't hurt but the pain is felt in the bicep instead.  Very interesting.   My doctor gave me a prescription for anti inflammatory medicine (i.e., very, very strong Aleve) which I need to take twice a day for a month to try to heal the shoulder.
I also  have pain in my bicep & front of shoulder.I think mine is from my 96lb german sheppard who also saw a squirrel on her retractable leash.I keep hoping it will get better,but it has now been over 2 months.How are you today,did the meds help?
I have recently suffered this strange unsourced pain untill I read comments and symptoms on this site. I would say my "strange unexplained" painfull bicep is probably that I have recently adopted a bad habit of leaning on my elbow with my hand "cupped" on my left cheek for an half hour or more at a time for ages whilst brosing and using mouse with right hand active only, anyone agree with this? Thank you.
    Andy
I have horrible cramping pain in my bicep for the last three months. I feel it coming on and if i put my arm up over my head it will subside but sometimes it takes a while and below my elbow it goes numb and tingling. Been tested for carpel, nothing shows up.What a pain. Anyone know what this is??
When i do any strenuous exercise using my arms(curls, bench or shoulder press) i get a wracking ache from my bicep to my hand that last for up to an hour or so. Wondering if anyone has any idea what it is. It's very persistent(2 months now).
I have the same problem but mine is the triceps. I get some real bad pain when I lift any weights, but is only in some  position, like raising my arm or bench pressing and some other positions  & went I go to sleep some times I can't even sleep because of the pain, like last night. I went to the doctor paid $200 for a visit and he told me to take some ibuprofen, but the pain still there it’s been 4 months with this pain and I don’t know what to do. CAN ANY BODY HELP ME SO I COULD SLEEP AND BE PAIN FREE? Thank you all.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
You need to properly assess your muscle and tendon of triceps. Need to examine it at insertion and origin and test the strength by an Orthopaedician.

Rest the muscle from exercise and assist healing. Ice packing and anti inflammatory drugs with rest will help you.

Need to do an MRI if the pain does not subside.

Take care!
I know it's been years since you posted this.  But, after reading your symptoms, I'm thoroughly convinced that I have the same bicep issues.  I think mine happened when I was sleeping.  The process you describe is exactly mine as well, particularly the sharp knifing pain I'm getting in my bicep.  Whenever I extend my shoulder in a certain position, the pain occurs.  I will try ice and anti-inflamatories as well.  How long did it take your bicep pain to subside after seeing the doctor?  Thanks.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Also go for an MRI to check if your Rotator cuff is perfect along with the biceps muscle and tendon, teres major and deltoids.
You have these symptoms with rotator cuff tears.
Mild tears will completely heal with rest and followed by Physiotherapy.

Take occasional anti inflammatory drugs and you can use ice packs regularly.

Take care!
I have the same bicep pain problem; actually the pain starts at my left shoulder and ends at the left elbow. It occurs when I move my arm certain ways in any direction and when I squeeze the bicep or joints. It started when I slept on my left arm in a "funny" position for about 8 hours. I've had the pain for months now. Naproxen (Aleve) helps but the potential side effects of that drug worry me. Saw a doctor who sent me to a physical therapist who thinks it is the "scalene" muscles. He stretched me and whatnot and relieved some tightness in my shoulder but the original pain problem persists. Please post a solution if you ever find one.
Who or what is Dr Vinod...his facile solutions sound phony. He probably is no doctor.
Looks like I can add another chalk mark next to all of yours. Same thing, however the cause I feel is carrying a four year old with my left arm supporting her bottom. I noticed this for months but could not pinpoint it. I have woken up from this with excruciating pain almost as if someone did in fact knife me. When my elbow is locked straight i can lift my arm with little discomfort but when I bend it at a 90 and try to raise my arm the pain brings me to my knees. Off to the doc in the next few days to hopefully put an end to my misery.
Aren't we all just one big ray of sunshine. Well Rustycarman, I'm feeling the exact pain.  Even extra strength pain killers and ibprophen.  With a straight arm, I can move it up and down without any pain.  While my arm is bent...I can't lift more than 45degrees. Unfortunately my pain is caused by sloppy weightlifting...I think I've learned my lesson now :(
anyone get a real solution for the pain? time????? mine started 2 weeks ago in my left bicep after i woke up......ive been super busy and only been able to rest it for a about 3 days at a time, then the pain comes back just as strong then i ice it and rest overnite and it seems a little more bearable, plus ive been taking ib profin left and right.....played some basketball last nite and found myself with my left arm in the up position most of the game to relieve some of the pain....my wife keeps telling me to go the doctor, if it doesnt get better in the next month i think i will.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Rest your biceps for couple of days with application of ice packs and intake of ibuprofen and if the pain continues then get yourself examined by an orthopedician and go for an MRI if required.

Take care!
thanks dr vinrod; after this weekend is over i think i'll have some time to give it a good rest.!! im in nashhville and ever since the flood  2 weekends ago its been crazy....no time to relax!! i think we'll have it handled after sunday. =) thanks again.
To everyone in this conversation thread.  I developed the same pain, first in my right arm and then my left.  I would have varying degrees of pain and on somedays I was unable to lift either arm...not a good condition when wanting to stay employed.

Has anyone who has experience this stabbing disabling pain taken the antibiotic Levaquin routinely for sinus of respiratory infections?
Seems like we're all experiencing the same pain.  Mine is in the right upper bicep.  More excruciating at night.  Like a sharp thick needle or knife in the arm.  Have not slept more than 2.5 hours a night for three months!  Have been to Urgent care twice.  Also emergency rooms at leading hospitals.  I've applied ice.  That made the pain worse.  I've applied heat, and the pain also worsens.  Alleve works for headaches, but not this.  Also, stronger meds have beep prescribed ... nothing.  The pain just won't go away totally.  I work out (chinese martial arts, including tai chi) and it lessens (almost completely).  Hours later, it's mild, until bedtime that is.  Hoping my visit to the doctors today will bring some good news.  By the way, I'm a very athletic 49 y/o male who rarely even gets sick.  If there is an answer, I hope it's posted here.  I think we all could use a good night's sleep!
I also have upper arm pain.  It started about a year and a half ago on my left side but now both arms are involved.  There is no longer a day without pain.  It has been suggested that it could be a low potassium level.  I've added foods to my diet that are high in potassium but it doesn't help.  Neither does exercise, no exercise, heat, cold, anti-inflammitory meds, or anything else.  Is this the sort of thing that is just going to be a painful annoyance for the rest of my life or will the muscles eventually become useless?
The bicept pain began about 3 years ago while caring for a baby but it is not on the same side as when I hold the baby...pain nearly went away between births of grandchildren but is still quite severe, like a knife.  I cannot life objects with that side, and sometimes I think the pain will never go away completely.  I always hold babies on the left side but it is the right upper arm that keeps me awake ... what have I done?
Amazing,  I have the exact symptoms as Nilda described in the first post.  Exact positions you describe!  It's been nearly a year since onset & my left arm is now involved and I am in nearly constant pain.  TI can't sleep.  They (physio, chiropractor) said it's not rotator cuff or frozen shoulder as i don't exhibit all the symptoms.  Have any of you gone for an ultrasound or MRI (these posts have been going on since 2005, certainly someone must have looked into this further)?  I have decided to go that route to see what the problem may be so it can be properly treated with the right exercises.  I will not pursue surgery but will definately use corrective exercises.
I must wait a month for the ultrasound and who knows how long for the MRI.  will keep u posted.
Hi, I too have developed this really sharp pain in my left bicep area.  it only happens when i have my arm raised above my head and move it backwards - have difficulty putting on a jumper or doing up a bra (not a problem for you fellows!).  I also experience the pain when i reach across the front of my body down low - like scratching your opposite side.  I am off to an orthopeadic guy on Tuesday (having an xray and scan before I see him) so am hoping for some answers.

aussiegail
Hurt my shoulder in minor(totalled car) accident over a year ago. Finally fouond cortisone shot fixed it but then reoccurred several months later. I'm juvenile diabewtic with Keinbocks of the right lunate on top of that. Those 2 things alone make me more prone to avascular necrosis in my shoulder. My wrist bone is fused together and pretty good(10+ years) but don't think it would be so 'easy' to fix in shoulder so I told doc no more cortisone and he agreed. I'm on naproxen but it never seems to do anything for me. Think it's time to go back again.......urghhhhhhhhhh
Yes, started out like shoulder and clavicle pain that would take my breath away, now has gone to bicep too. Just like most of you, when I lift my arm up and kind of out/back the pain about puts me on the floor! Like a stabbing knife!!! I've done PT and it doesn't do anything. I've had surgery on my other shoulder for impingement(bone spur - twice he did surgery to shave it off as he didnt take enough off the first time and it also rubbed against my muscle/tendon/ligament-one of those- and caused it to fray).
I have since had acupuncture & been told I now have "Frozen Shoulder".  In China they call this "over 50 shoulder" although it occurs to women only aged 40-60.  (I am 50).  Not sure yet what the root cause is (Dr. thinks it's rotator cuff).
I do believe I have the frozen shoulder which is kind of cool because my arm only moves so far and then it's stuck!  I can't shave my underarm easily because it's at 90 degrees & stuck.  Blow drying my hair is difficult too.  Still can't do the bra thing or take off a tight sweater.
The only thing that is different for me is that i am in constant pain.  I haven't slept in a month and i've taught myself to lay on my back.  There's nothing touching my arm yet it is in pain.  Sometimes it is almost unbearable at night - so sharp and severe.  I've got a tylenol 3 prescription which helps me get good & drowsy at night but i still have the pain.  My x-ray /ultrasound results have been sent to my Dr. and i am waiting to hear from her.  
I have the same symtoms (symptoms) and have been diagnosed with calcium deposits on my bicep tendon via an ultrasound. very very painfull stabbing in shoulder , unable to lift arm, numbness at night, FML, If i hold a heavy object with my arm hanging down straight and let it stretch for a good half hour it relives all the pain for a while. Luck to all. Doc sais i am fuct.

Jesse
I've had the same problems as everyone else has described.  The biggest problem is getting to sleep.  I have found that taking a flat pillow and resting it under my left arm, where the pillow goes from just under my armpit down to my wrist, the pain subsides, and after doing this for several weeks, I can now sleep relatively pain free.  When I feel like rolling over to my side, I just stick another pillow under there, and rest sort of on my back and right-side together, while my left arm remains on the two pillows.  I have also found that if the pillow gets under my shoulder, the pain comes back, so it is important to keep the pillow out from under your shoulder.  Don't let it come up past your pits.

I am wondering if most of the pain is from my arm sliding out of joint?  Maybe, I'm not sure.  I can't afford constant Dr. visits, but I am happy that I can at least sleep now.  I hope the pillow idea helps others.  The pain is still there during the day when I move my arm in weird positions, but it has decreased dramatically since alleviating the pains while sleeping.
I have severe stabbing pain in my right bicep, but only in certain positions.  For instance, stretching my arm straight out to my side, or turning certain ways.

I had a really bad compound ankle break close to 2 years ago, with lots of metal in my leg and pain killers.  Pneumonia/bronchitis ensued and yes, I did take several courses of steroids & Levaquin.  (I'm beginning to suspect that this is due to the Levaquin)

Shortly after I came off the percocet, which was almost a year later, I started having this weird bicep pain.  

The pain is like a knife and knocks me to my knees when it happens.
I talked with my ankle surgeon, who sent me to see a PA who ordered xray, nambutone, and phs therapy.  Nothing helped.  I absolutely HATE taking pain meds, even ibuprofen or tylenol.  I get sick to my stomach on medication.

Am I doomed to have this pain forever?  It feels hopeless!
Just found this thread and, yes, my symptoms are almost exactly like the orginal post.  I'm a belly sleeper and felt this pain coming on for a year or more.  I ignored it and the last 6 months have been very painful.  Hard to sleep and definitely can't roll over on that side at all.  

At first I thought I had a rotator cuff injury and was going to have an MRI for that.  After thinking about it I realized that I'm claustrophobic and wouldn't be able to take the MRI.  That was two months ago.  But, I am now thinking about going for the MRI just to see what might be in the shoulder.

Sometimes it feels like it originates in the elbow, like when I reach for the top shelf in a closet.  That's when I get that intense, deep drill pain in the mddle of the bicep.
I had pain so severe I would fall to me  knees and crouch like a wounded animal!  The problem was bone growing into the area where the tendons run causing inflammation, the bone needed to be ground and cut away to allow the tendons to move.  Eventually I had to have two operations because the:

500 plus physio sessions
Creams
Diflfenic
Nolotil
Paracetamol
Anadin
Add here any other pain killer you know of because none are truly effective.
Pain killer morphine injections in my a*se every three days
Three cortizone injections
Three x rays
Two MRI's
One ultrasound
And eventually I was considering suicide (no I an NOT a drama queen) because nearly two years of poor sleep patterns and the inability to work thus draining my financial resourses left me lower than low.  A year later and the shoulder is great..................and now the same problem is starting up on the other shoulder, better get the razor blades ready.
I had surgery for a torn rotator cuff on December 28.  About 3 weeks into my recover (which was going really well), I started getting sharp stabbing pains in my bicep and sometimes tricep when I move certain ways.  Also, every night I wake up with the bicep and sometimes tricep aching (like a giant toothache).  In addition, I have had swelling above my clavicle which will not go away, despite being on a prescription anti-inflammatory for over 6 weeks.  All my doctor says is that he does not understand this and to keep taking the Rx and icing the swelling. Any help out there?  
I am also experienceing a bicep pain in my left arm since last two weeks. Will you suggest me any remedial tip.

Thanks & regards

Feroze  
3 months ago I slipped and fell on a ice patch. Went to doc, had xray, had mri, and nothing shows up. meanwhile, pain is extreme when I attempt to move it in certain ways. I have to say I have much more movement than I did 3 months ago (probably 60-70 percent of normal). But whatever it is, it is painful and nobody seems to be able to look at it and come up with a solution. Perhaps by the end of summer, it will be back to normal. I hope.
Benn Having the same symptoms for months - my doc said he thinks it is carpel tunnel. Been researching with no real evidence of what the pain is.
i have the pain in my bicep muscle due to splint for fracture of wrist - my brain is constantly reacting to protect this arm, thus the bicep is tightening affecting my shoulder rotator cup as well = so i use a heating pad with arm bandage for support - and drink amino acids with vitamins with affirmations it is healing. pain for over 2 months;. rest and no lifting till tendons are healed.
i am having the same problem it has been going on for a few days but today is the worst day out of all of them it is the worst when i lift my arm almost straight out and then when i put it down after lifting it up and it takes a few seconds for the pain to subside where it hurts the worst is right next to the shoulder blade
I have this same screeching pain in my right upper arm, can't move it above my shoulder and actually teared up and involuntarily screamed (quite embarrassing) when doctor was testing it for range of movement - she said x-ray showed calcific tendonitis in the rotator cuff - some websites say it will go away on its own, others say it will never go away. Had bad bruise to outer side of wrist several days before these symptoms appeared, but she said they are not connected. I'm still not persuaded it isn't fractured by the amount of pain this is causing.  She prescribed holding it completely still (which all these pages say causes it to freeze up) and take vicodin for sleeping and regular ibuprofin for pain. I know immediately when both stop working. Long term medication is such a bad solution.Any exercises that anyone has had luck with for the rotator cuff, please let me know!
I experienced all these painful symptoms.  I was on so many pain killers, muscle relaxers, anti-inflammatory medications, I thought I was going crazy, I was in a fog most of the time and I felt nobody believed me.  With the help of a great PT and surgeon, I was diagnosed with a torn rotator cuff and bicep.  I had surgery, but because I was misdiagnosed (before finding a PT who knows what he's doing) I developed something called CRPS (complex regional pain syndrome) With the proper treatment I am once again sleeping and living a less painful life.  I found that running, aerobics, any bouncy type activities would aggravate my symptoms.  I recently discovered hot yoga and find it to be very therapeutic.  Good luck!
I have Sharp Pains in the middle of both of my biceps. The pain lasts for a long time when it happens, i think it first came about when i had a wrestling tournament that lasted all day. Now when ever i do an activity such as swimming or jumping on a trampoline, it comes back and feels like someone is putting a huge sharp needle in and out of my arms....stretching it out doesn't seem to help, but make it hurt more. Resting my  arms on the "arms" of my chair seems to seize the pain, but after i remove them from that position, it comes back and doesn't go away for a few hours. A little over a week has gone by and it's happened only on the days where i did activities.
I've read through the first 30-40 i'd say, and no one really posted an answer besides that their doctor gave them medicine.
If you have an answer PLEASE send me an email at ***@**** <--no spam please..and tittle it " *Answer* ". thank you
I knew if I looked long enough I would find others who have this problem! The "stabbing knife" pains and involuntary little shrieks of pain upon movement are all too familiar. Can't hook or unhook a bra. Trouble shaving under arm and blow drying hair! 2 years ago, I had this in the LEFT bicep/shoulder area for 18 months. Was diagnosed as idiopathic frozen shoulder. Finally the left side got better with months of PT, home exercises and seeing a massage therapist. Now RIGHT side has just started the same excrutiating (sp?) bicep pain! The frozen shoulder tag doesn't quite fit as the pain is in my bicep. (Note: it doesn't hurt to do bicep curls with a bar or free weights. The terrible pain comes from lifting the arm straight out to the side.) Thank you
Thank u for posting here!  I see my pain described precisely!  My Dr. actually told me to see my mental Health Dr.  for the stabbing pain!!! He only found touch of arthritis in my shoulder.  duh,  My 16yo implies that I am making it up as well!  I will be aggressive on Monday with Dr. and follow it through!
While this will sound familiar, I to have developed pains in both shoulders and have random refereed pains in biceps and collarbone area. Started two months ago from what appeared to be no specific cause. Pain is terrible at night and need to take an Emtec-30 at 2AM to sleep for a few hours. Doing physio and taking Celebrx but the symptoms are showing little or no progress. Ultrasound showed everything in pretty good shape. Wondering if it could be an some form of mild infection or virus lurking. Any comments?
I GOT SMASHED ON MY UPPER ARM THREE MONTHS AGO- THIRD TIME-SAME SPOT- USUALLY IT HURT  BUT IT GO AWAY AFTER THE BRUISE GONE.BUT THIS TIME THE BRUISE GONE BUT THE PAIN IS SOME TIME UNBEARABLE, IT IS ALL THE WAY TO MY LEFT SHOULDER.TO THE DOCTERS TWICE, DID XRAY AND WAITING TO READ MRI. I HATE PAIN PILL.I AM WORRY BEING CRIPLE TO TRHE REST OF MY LIFE.ANY SMART IDEAS OUT THERE PLEASE HELP. THANKS.,
I am the latest to join my fellow sufferers!  Hi Everyone.....I too have sharp stabbing pain along my upper arm (where the shoulder meets the torso.  I think it started a few months ago after I went rowing.  I had moderate pain until last Friday when I tripped and used my right arm to prevent from falling.  Needless to say, I experienced a stabbing pain that was beyond excrutiating.  It is a throbbing, stabbing pain all along my inner arm, down to my forefinger and thumb.  I too can't sleep at night.  The pain was so bad last night that I got up and cried.  I find that if I sleep in an upright position on my back the pain subsides somewhat.  The only thing that has been helping is Advil (I take 4!!!).  I have no idea what to do.  All I know is that I can't move my arm in any direction without feeling the deep, radiating, throbbing, sharp pain.  By the way, my rotator cuff (part closest to my armpit) is sore to the touch.
i got hit on left upper arm a few times but the pain went with the bruises. this time it is still verry painful after bruise disappeared, i went to see the doctor. she did not touch or see my arm. said i have frozen shoulder then sent me to the ortho and xray. this ortho doctor then sent me to the therapist after he ordered a mri. the therapist massage my armpit even after i told him my arm is hurt like stabbing, burning and spasm from shoulder to elbow.i can not hook or unhook my bra. in certain movement my arm-bicep-area start spasm with unbearable pain. some time i scream, then it go away.  i went to see a nother md.he told me to come back for steroid shot in the shoulder. i dont buy it. why my shoulder? my arm, not shoulder. i made a nother oppointment to see a different md next week. i forget to mention that i also had a flu shot with the first md i had seen. the shot site was also on left shoulder. i took motrin for pain, then tylenol #3. it put me out for 2 days.
hi, read your colum, i think you might be right on the spot. that is what i have been thinking about. may be an infection. i got hit hard on my left arm quite a few times. bruise and pain really bad for about 10 days then the pain went away. this time it is not, i went to see the md- three of them, they seem dont now much. the only thing they do is blame the poor innocense shoulder. my pain mainly on my bicep area and seem getting worse may be infection set in.or virus because i had a flu shot at the same time at the same spot i got hit. i'll see the md next week - this is a 4th md.
+1 for this inexplicable pain. So many people complaining but not many people posting their eventual solutions if they find them...they must just get on with their life rather than sharing their wisdom. I'm going off to my GP within the next week and will hopefully get sent off for some scans.

I've been feeling like this for over a year now and it's driving me crazy. My pain is nowhere near as bad as what some of you are describing (never had interrupted sleep except for in the beginning when it was much worse). I'm still able to do bicep curls unimpeded despite the pain apparently emanating from that region (although it also feels like the shoulder half of the time).

In addition to the pain and having no overhead strength I've found that my flexibility has seriously diminished. I went to see a GP when the pain first began but he dismissed it as a strain. One year on I'm not so convinced! I'll be sure to come back here and let you know all about it if I have any luck with my (hopefully inexpensive) treatment!
I also have the pain in right biceps mostly, started as ache and has progressed to sharp pain. Can't sleep well. Can only sleep on left side with arm propped up. On my back it starts to throb, bra hooking kills, ect.
Went for acupuncture 2 times. Didn't help. Chinese medicine specialist did 2 hours of work on it, didn;t help. Diagnosis is frozen shoulder /rotator cuff. I am also looking for a cure. Hot water from shower pounding on it before bed helps some.
I realize this original post is years old, but it looks like people are still reading.  I too had the same bicep pain in both arms for the last few weeks.  I have been working out for 3 months prior.   It was the worst at night, I take Naproxin and it helps.  Yesterday I told my personal trainer about my pain.  He found some pressure points near my arm pit, did some stretches (it was painful) and it relieved my pain.  He said my rotator cuff area is constricted so I need to stretch it out.  He didn't seem to think it was anything serious.  I felt better all day after what he did.  I suggest those of you dealing with this go to a pain management person, maybe someone who specializes in neuromuscular release therapy.  I am going today, can't wait!!   Don't run to a surgeon until you know for sure!
Yes, it's four months and the pain is so unexpected as it only happens with certain movements of my left arm..... but it knocks the wind out of me and the pain is so severe that I think passing out would be a blessing.  Not big on drugs as my body has trouble with them but any luck with heat?  Please let me know as the pain is now moving up to the left side of my face which makes me think is might be a pinched nerve.  Maybe the dog snapping my arm around or maybe bad computer habits as I work.  HELP!
I had a very bad fall on Aug. 31, landing on my head and right shoulder.  Fractured my scapula in 2 places.  About a month into the pain/rehab, I began to have severe pain in my right bicep/upper arm, and the doc diagnosed a torn rotator cuff.  The pain is really really bad, and seems to be getting worse.  I'm having an MRI tomorrow.  I just don't know why I wouldn't have known about the rotator cuff right after the accident.
It's been 10 days since I slipped and landed on my right shoulder.. Within hours I could not move my right arm properly.. I had intense pain.. I saw my doctor the next day and all I got was a shot for inflammatory and pain killers.. I then saw a Orto specialists as per the xrays he said I had a mild seperated shoulder but he didnt seem like that was the injury.. I'm waiting for my follow up and MRI. I can move my arm backward and do curls with no pain but I can't raise my arm up or reach forward like to shake a hand.. I have a stabbing pain on my bicep and uppershoulder.. It's weird because I can move it more without pain when I'm taking a shower with hot water.. I have been taking medications and applying ice or heat. I don't have pain at night to sleep but i can't sleep on my injured right side.. Any ideas thy can help me would be appreciated thank you
Hi! I know what you ladies and gentlemen are talking about in the pain department. I was in a car wreck in april 02, 2011. It jammed my shoulder back since i locked my arm before i hit the lady that pulled out in front of me. I haven't been able to work since the wreck due to the pain.

If I keep my right arm tucked in to my side i can pick up weight. if i pick up something in front of me with my arm straight then i get the sharp knife stabbing pains in my upper bicep where it attaches to the shoulder. I can pick my right arm up with my left and raise it up above my shoulder only a little ways and then after i lower it back down to my side and let it relax for about 30 sec, only then does the pain stop.  I have already seed a ortho surgeon for my shoulder and he sais it isn't the main cause. I have to now see a ortho specialist for my neck because it's all out of whack. I hope it's not as serious as the ortho surgeon told me. I hope to see everyone get better and I'll keep you all updated!
After many doctors appts., pills, physical therpy, and nothing worked, I had an MRI done................. I'm having shoulder surgery in 2 weeks, I have bone that is rubbing and causing the pain to run down into my bicep. They are going to shave the bone down. Hope it works, the bicep pain makes it hard to do simple things, u never know when it's going to hit and when it does, u freeze untill it lets up !!!!,  
well, i suffered with similar pain for almost 6 months resting ( missing my gym  etc ) but pain got even worse to a degree that even i could not sleep at nights. Finally i visited orthopedic who prescribed PHYSIOTHEREPY for 7 days and it worked. my pain was half gone in 7 days and i still continued up to 20 sessions. now my pain is almost 5% of what it was before. So all you people suffering should go to a physiotherapist and tell him to do ultrasound on the areas of pain. this will reduce the swelling in 3 sessions and pain will reduce considerably in 10 sessions . ALL the best  
I could not believe that someone was actually describing the same exact thing I have been having for the past 5 months. Mine started at the end of August. It started with a whopper of a migraine. The next day I woke up with a terrible stiff neck. After that it moved down to my arm and it has basically settled in my upper arm. Like everyone else. I can me my arm up in front of me, but unable to lift it up from the side. The pain has become constant, but at times unbearable. At one point I was also having jaw and increased neck pain. That's when they found I had a cardiac blockage. After a cardiac cath and a stent placement, I was hoping the pain would end. The neck pain has lessened and the jaw pain is gone, but the upper arm pain remains. Right before they found the cardiac problem, I had started getting physical theraly for the arm and shoulder. They tried putting my neck in light traction and doing some deep massage on my shoulders and it had actually started to help!!. Sometimes there are bulges in the cervical spine that impedes on nerves that run down to the arm.
After writing all of this...I would have to say the best thing to do is to have an MRI to see if there is any impingement from the discs or arthritis, etc. Then to convince your Dr that is a possibility (if they can't find anything else). And the same as the last poster, get some good physical therapy.
I am thinking, at least for me, that the bad computer habits have caused my problem.  My symptoms are the same as yours and mine started after spending a lengthy amount of time on the computer in a position that I knew was not good for me.  Since then, if I bump my hand or have any quick movement with my right arm, the pain is stabbing and sharp and radiates for about 30 seconds and then gone.  I am losing the muscle tone in that arm.  I also have pain in the muscle next to my right shoulder blade.  I am thinking it all is stemming from the knotted muscle there.  Will try to go in for a message and see if that might help.  Good luck.....  :)
Hi. I have been suffering the same symptoms ow from Easter last year. I went to catch my grandson and he jerked back and I felt a sharp tug on my left shoulder. Suffered it for a while with anti inflammatorys then had Physio and ultrasound but no better. Referred to a specialist who did a ultrasound scan and then injected my shoulder. Though it was a tear so sent me for a MRI  end of Oct. then I was in hospital for bowel op til Christmas so not back to see him til 23 Feb. Report from MRI shows fluid build up in the bicep which is where I get the pain. I'm now waiting for another US and an injection into the bicep area where the buildup of fluid is. Surely I'll get relief then. The pain/cramp comes Eg I was sitting up in bed and reached out to lift a glass of water from the back of the bedside cabinet and whoa did that pain cut in. It's more like a cramp that goes into spasm and takes about 15 sec to ease. Brings tears to my eyes at times. It's my left arm so trying to reach back for the seatbelt if in the passenger side is a no no. Times it's so bad it goes down my arm into my hand and fingers or up into the back of my neck.
I hope by now yours is easing or improved. Take care Bernie
Google "Cubital tunnel syndrome". I am convinced this nerve is causing my bicep/tricep pain and tingling. I sit at a computer all day and I'm thinking that contributes to the issue.  Usually in pain when I wake up too...like I am putting pressure on it while I'm sleeping.  Some days I can't even pick up a cup of coffee with my left hand.  Anyway, hope you have found your solution!
have your dr. ck your neck.  unfortionatly i had all of these symptoms and after seeing 5 ortopedic drs.  for my shoulder where the pain was stemming.  on my own i asked if i could see a neurologist and from there i was sent to have test done on neck.  omg.  yes they found the problem.  i had 5 herniated disks 3 thru 7.  
So Heidi, have they now cured the problem? If not, can they be sure that is the cause? However, your comments remind me that I do have an inversion table which I will use again to stretch out the spine. I did it before for back problems and have been fine for ages. I hate medical drugs and avoid them if at all possible. For anti inflamatories, I will take tumeric (turmeric) with a pinch of black pepper makes if more effective.  
UPDATE: Had surgery no help, pain in bicep still like a knife going thru it and I have to stop in pain while it last. Could be 10 seconds, u just can't move. It happens when ever, never know  what movement will cause it.
FOUND HELP: I was online and found this site about nerves, the shield covering the nerves can dissapear due to many things. There are doses of vits (B's and R-Alpha Lipoic Acids) I thought , ya right??? Something else to waste money on. But I ordered after drilling this poor phone person to BE SURE I got my money back if didn't work. I've been taking a month, and "I CAN'T BELIEVE IT" my pain has almost dissappeard almost to nothing. It was soooooobad at times, I thought of just cutting my left arm off to stop the pain, thought I was stuck with it for life. When surgery didn't work thought I was doomed and the doctors could not find a reason for it. Look up NEUROPATHY SUPPORT it might help others. I feel so much better, one day I just realized I hadn't had the sharp pain in days, then I started to pay attention.....Hope u others find help, I know how bad it hurts !!!
I just posted something that helped me after a long time of pain, same thing , stabbing pain in bicep, sometimes felt like it ran all the way down to my hand, couldn't fold a fork some times, had carpal tunnel surgery years ago but this started above my elbow. It's so painfull and u can't move till it goes away. Hope my post will help u look at other options.
Could not see your post about what helped with the severe bicep pain...please post.
I had shoulder surgery and it didn't help , the stabbing knife pain came back in my left bicep where I couldn't move for what seemed like forever. I had to take my other arm to move it. U never knew when it would hit and what position would cause it. Surgen said there was nothing left to fix. Got on the internet and found this sight where this they talked about this burning and sharp pain which sounded a lot like mine.They talked about the shield around you nerves dissolves due to many reasons and there is a supplement that will help rebuild. I ripped them apart making sure I'd get my money back. Thought couldn't hurt to try. After a month, I noticed one day that I hardley had the pain, after 2 months I don't have it AT ALL !!! It may not work for everyone but it sure did ME !!! I don't want to advertse but if it can help someone else I will, I know the terriable pain that shoots through your arm. NEUROPATHY SUPPORT FORMULA It's high doses of B1, B12, R-Alpha Lipotic Acids and other stuff. U can't buy enough in reg vits to get to the levels these are.I didn't want to spend the money, but I'm damn glad I did. Let me know if it works for you. Be sure to not miss any doses and give yourself 2 months, everybodys different. Good luck to you.
Kate please see my post, I had the same thing, pills, doctors, surgery, and the stabbing pain in my bicep would not go away. I found something that really helped, not help, took it away. I have NO MORE PAIN. I actually have full use of my arm, no bicep pain any more. I hope it helps a lot of people, cause I know how bad it can be and the doctors could not fix no matter what they gave me and believe me, I've tried it all.
I know this is a bit old but did you ever get a cause of the pain as i have develped the same pain starting in the right then going to the left had xrays and MRIs blood work nothing showed up all normal. i am on oxycodone/acedaminophine and that barley works unless i dont move my arms. really need help so i can get back to work. this has been going on since oct 2011 and going to  physical therapy but makes the pain worse please help
I have been having the same issues as most of the comments on this topic.  It has been going on for about 8 months now.  Started with a slow ache in my bicep in my arm, then moving it in certain positions would bring tears to my eyes cause the pain was so bad.  So.  I finally went to the doctor, had X rays on my neck and shoulder.  Here are the results:

Degenerative disk disease at C3-C4. The discs between the neck bones are deteriorating and pressing down on a nerve that goes to my arm.  Hence the issues with the pain in my arm.  It wasnt my shoulder/arm.  It's all caused from the disc disease in my neck.   Cervical disc disease is part of the natural process of growing older. As we age, our intervertebral discs lose their flexibility, elasticity and shock absorbing characteristics. The ligaments that surround the disc, called the annulus fibrosis, become brittle and are more easily torn. At the same time, the soft gel-like center of the disc, called the nucleus pulposus, starts to dry out and shrink. As a result, people complain of neck pain and stiffness, especially towards the end of the day.
Degenerative disc disease

Symptoms

The common symptoms that suggest that cervical disc disease may be responsible for a person's pain include:

Neck pain
    Pain that radiates down to the back of the shoulder blades or into the arms.
    Numbness and tingling
    Difficulties with hand dexterity or walking.

My X-Ray also showed small posterior osteophytes (bone spurs) as well.   Treatment options for bone spurs include medications – such as anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxers, and pain relievers – cortisone injections, physical therapy, exercise, and even surgery.  

Right now my Doctor has me on pain medication and suggested that I go have physical therapy to build up my neck muscles.  He told me to sell my Harley (I dont have one), haha, Because my motorcycle riding days were over.  In other words take it easy.  He will monitor me and periodically I will have X-Rays to watch the progression of the disc disease.  Eventually he said I will have to have surgery.  

I hope this helps someone else out.  If anything.  Start with an X-Ray and go from there.  
Success! Please let me share my personal experience. I had a sharp pain in my right bicep for 8 months whenever I tried to do chin-ups at the gym. Disillusioned with western medical doctors, I decided to get the opinion of a chiropractor. On the first consultation he examined my shoulder and referred me to a Remedial Massage Therapist. The Remedial Massage Therapist knew exactly what was wrong with me as he had seen it many times before. After three 45 minute sessions over a fortnight, he fixed the problem. What was it? My right pectoral muscle was tight and contracted and had been like that for 8 months. The pectoral muscles connect to the shoulder at (or near) the same point as the bicep muscles. The tight pectoral muscle was pulling my shoulder forward and pinching a main bundle of nerves that runs down through the shoulder and through the bicep. To be clear, I saw a "Remedial Massage Therapist" who is “hands-on”. Remedial Massage Therapists are NOT the same as physiotherapists. It is my understanding that physiotherapists are largely “hands-off” and give you exercises to take home.
A Remedial Massage Therapist worked for me. The sharp pain in my right bicep has gone. As a preventative measure post treatment, and to help me with my pre-gym stretching, he gave me some stretching exercise to do at home to keep my pectoral muscle stretched out as it should be. After discussing the problem with him, I am utterly convinced that there are many thousands of people around the world needlessly suffering because western medical doctors may be too quick to either prescribe drugs or refer people for highly-questionable surgery that often fails to resolve the problem.
Obviously, everyone must consider their own personal circumstances, as well as any pre-existing and current health conditions; however, it may be possible that a Remedial Massage Therapist could work for you too if your symptom is a sharp pain in the middle of your bicep.
Good luck and all the best!
Check out this page....
http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/cubital-radial-tunnel-syndrome
I've had a lot of back pain, but when I couldn't lift my arm it was extra scary.
Been trying to get a referral from my GP but to no avail, so will be doing a FOI for all of my records and moving GP.

I have been to McTimothy Chiroprator and she did tell me I had a very tight pectoral muscle and a rib out of alignment.. also a slight twisted neck vertabrae.   Felt better after a few days of being very sore.. but the arm/shoulder pains remain.
If I get a sharp pain I lift my arm over my head and mmy shoulder starts to sche but the sharp pain slowly goes away.  
Was thinking it was vein/artery related due to that but did a google search after reading some posts.

"tight pectoral muscles arm pain"

Came upon a few suggestions of causes.   I think mine is prolonged tight pectoral minor putting pressure on brachial nerve and perhaps artery.

So remedial therapy, ibufen and lot of effort to lose weight.

I think people should push their doctors more, otherwise this backward profession will never bother to research and find solutions.
Ask your docotor to do the Allen test on your arm, see if he knows about it?
Do search on YouTube for Pectoral minor stretches etc..

One is stand against a wall, put your Hands Up! then lower elbows and raise elbows in Hands up position..  Imagine an egg between bottom of shoulder blades and you have to hold it there as your move arms..

Read no 3 & 5 on this page
http://www.round-earth.com/ShoulderPainIntro.html
Same issues. Do you still have this problem or has it been resolved?Lynn
All these comments are sadly reassuring, if only because I don't feel so alone!  I read an earlier post on this thread that someone else had this bone shaving procedure and he/she indicated it was the only thing that had helped.  

Would love to hear how you're feeling now!
The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook makes the same case - that tight muscles at some distance from the pain are the cause of many muscle pains. I've been working thru this for an injured shoulder and it's helped me regain some range of motion.
I haven't read all the posts here, but it's pretty clear that what most of you are describing are strained tendons, specifically the one that connects the bicep to the shoulder.  It occurs when too much pressure is applied to the tendon. One common cause is lifting too much weight, or a sudden impact (e.g. dog pulling away on a taught leash).

Anti-inlammatory meds (i.e. Advil, Alleve, etc.) and ice will help reduce swelling, but they won't 'fix' the tendon. Tendons need to be rested. It may require weeks or months, depending on how severe it is. Those of you who are saying "every time I lift weights, I feel a pain" are making me wince. YOU CAN'T LIFT WEIGHTS WITH A STRAINED TENDON! You're only making it worse. It needs REST to heal; it's not like a sore muscle that will eventually get better.

Let the affected arm rest for two weeks. If it still hurts, you need to see a doctor and get an MRI. But be careful; a lot of doctors don't know **** about these sorts of injuries, and all too often will just tell you to take some advil. You need have an MRI done and you need to see someone who specializes in injuries of this sort. A GP will likely trivialize it and just say "take some advil". I've known people who had torn pec muscles, a completely ruptured tendon, who needed surgery, that before being properly diagnosed were told to just take some advil. There are a lot of lazy and irresponsible GPs out there that offer 'treatments' for injuries they know little about when they shoukd refer you to a specialist or two.

Good luck.
Great! I am glad at least one person read and understood my post above. My right-bicep pain is completely gone. I have been doing chin-ups and gym without any bicep pain. Thank you remedial massage :-D
I have the same thing in left bicep area. Hurts lifting arm when bent. Lying on side arm is so hard to shift when bent. needs help of right arm when stuck.
I have a trigger point therapy book. I also have tight pecs. I'm a marathon runner. Thanks for your comment. I will try my book along with stretches and massage... I've found this almost always works with other areas - legs, TFL etc.. My stick is good for knots too. Amazing how pain refers elsewhere and stumps us...

Thanks for the reminder.
I felt compelled to write in as well as I have had the same kind of pain since the summer of 2012..I went to the Dr and he gave me a strong inbuprophen cream to put on my left bicep and it did eliviate the pain for 8 hrs but that was it..I went to pyshio and she had me do curls with a large rubber band and that didnt  help so i never bothered going back...what i did find interesting is that when i was using my arm for physical work but watching my limits with it that the pain was starting to go away but after I had stopped the pain increased again...since then i havent done anything too great with it and it is still with me to this day...It seems like a common thing after reading these posts which i didnt realize...I too could not figure out how i did it but i have a young child so maybe lifting her up and holding on with my left arm is the only thing that may have triggered it...I do hope it goes away eventually but doesnt seem like it as it is still with me at this point in time....has anyone found a cure other than rest.....
Hi Dean, I am not sure if you saw my earlier post above. Scroll up just a bit to June 27, 2012. That post may be of interest to you.
Finally!!  I have found something to prove I am not crazy with the bicep pain! I have a Partially torn rotator cuff from a fall with arms out and shortly afterwards the shoulder then "froze". It continues to worsen, not improve despite over a month of PT. I hear you all, ladies, on the tortures of bras, shaving and blow dryers, add backing out of parking spaces to the list! I am going for a second opinion tmrw ( took almost 3 months to get appt, I seriously hope it's not too late, from what I have learned about torn bicep tendons and scar tissue.) My  PT and first ortho doc insist that this arm pain is "referred pain from shoulder" but the bring me to my knees-literally- stabbing scream/cry pain I get from a random wrong move or jarring motion like catching self in a stumble or pulling a door open, seems hard to believe it is "referred"and not something separate - quite embarrassing as I seem to have no control or ability to suck it up when it occurs, just wait it out in tears and deep breaths. Thankfully it happens mostly at home not in public!  I will update after my Ortho consult and hopefully have some helpful info to share, not just my tales of woe ;)
Hello everyone. I wanted to share some new information that I found very helpful for my own condition. In one of my earlier posts in

this thread (June 27, 2012), I mentioned that I fixed my bicep pain issue by getting remedial massage on my pectoral muscle. Whilst

that did work, I found over time, the bicep pain kept creeping back (but never as bad as it was originally).

Previously I mentioned that a tight pec muscle can be a cause for pain in the bicep (due to trigger points) because the bicep and

pec muscles attach to the shoulder at a similar point. To keep my pec stretched, the remedial massage guy told me to go home and

lift my elbow up horizontal and put my elbow against the door frame, then slowly twist my body away to stretch the pec. This did the

trick; however, it never cured me 100% because after a while the bicep pain would creep back just enough to be annoying. So I

started my internet search again!

I found some YouTube videos by a chiropractor. You really need to watch both videos. The first video shows a stretch that not only

stretches the pec but the bicep too. In the first video he mentions the need to ice the shoulder. This is where the second video

comes in, and I suggest you do watch it because it is key. Most chemists (or drug stores if you're in the USA) sell ice packs, which

are great, or you can use whatever ice blocks you have in the freezer including a bag of peas. I use a thin kitchen towel to wrap

around the ice pack. Anyway, since doing the icing and stretches now for a week, I have noticed a significant improvement. Please

don't think that you will be cured after one session. It might take you a few days before you feel any improvement. And you may have

to do these stretches long-term. I have incorporated the icing/stretches into my gym routine, so no dramas.

As always, this is just information for you to consider. You must realise that your condition might be different to mine. I suggest

you watch both videos and consider if this may help you. If in doubt, talk to a medical professional first. Remember, this new

exercise stretches your bicep and your pec at the same time. Don't use excessive force when stretching, use your common sense as to

what a firm stretch is without causing you more damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH3hILhe-bg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dasv9_-8eWw

Cheers!
I started about a year ago with difficulty walking on tread mill, then up flights of steps my legs hurt terribly. I cut out walking the steps my legs get tired with to much walking little stiff.    6 months ago a started with pain in right arm and now its terrible in my left arm, stabbling pain at night I can't lift it 3 inches off my chest and it hurts moving it away from my chest to the side want to cry.   I seen a orthopedic dr. and he sent me for a xray said it showed pseudogout then sent me for an MRI.   I will see him again Monday and let you know what he says.   The pain to me feels like its the bicep can't remember an injury but I do work very hard and by Friday night it's killing me
I had this exact same problem in my right arm a few years ago. The pain got worse and worse until I couldn't sleep; it just always felt broken. I never saw a doctor (no health insurance), but eventually I found that exercising and using my arm very carefully actually made it feel a little better. Yoga also helped, and after a year it finally healed. I've never regained the same range of motion but at least it feels normal now. A few months ago my left arm started hurting the same way and it's getting worse. It mostly hurts when I move it too far or try to lift things with it stretched out to the side. I have tried to use it carefully but so far nothing has helped, and sudden movements are agonizing. I watched the videos that Steven_Australia (above) suggested and will see if icing and stretching that arm will help. I'll update with results.
I had surgery on Dec 27th 2012....still I have slight pain in my shoulder,for the most part the pain is gone...except for from time to time,it gets like stuck...and I can not lift it higher than shoulder level...in less I move it very fast and slam it past the shoulder level,and it will snap real loud,and hurt like a BIOTCH...and will make me scream in pain for just a few seconds...but even this is not what bothers me most....

Since I had surgery,my bicep has continued to feel like a very large needle is moving around in there,and when I move into different directions,or different movement,it will feel like it is all the way down inside my bicep...jabbing deeper and deeper into that muscle....on many occassion I have literally wanted to go make them take an xray of my bicep...just to prove to me that there really is nothing left in there from the surgery.

Should I go back to the orthopedic and see what he says about all of this...I keep hoping this needle pain will go away,and the sticking of my shoulder...
Hi I'm new here too- I have had this INTENSE stabbing pain in my bicep for months when I move my arm in a certain way-  I am losing flexibility and range of motion, my shoulder hurts, but if i apply pressure at certain places on my shoulder i seem to be pain free, (only while i am applying pressure) im not sleeping well, and when my reflex pulls my arm back suddenly I am literally in tears until the pain subsides ( about 5 minutes) I have no insurance either and am at my wits end-I feel like it is now effecting my quality of life.

Any suggestions or successful results?
Sorry I promised I would respond after ortho specialist and lost where I posted. Just found it. I was told again for the third time that it is referred pain from the shoulder. It has been over a month now since I have screamed with that stabbing horrible pain we speak of, since we ((PT and I)  increased the stretching at physical therapy with more of a pulling action on their part added on to stretches I actively did like rolling a ball etc. I never thought it would go away but it is healing. When it gets me now, rarely,  it's only a 3 not a 9 or 10 level and now more public humiliation on my knees in agony. I write this to give you some hope so you don't give up. Keep it moving, stretching. Good luck! (P.s. still frozen but moved a little tiny bit)
Thank you for sharing your information
I appreciate
Thank you for the videos, I think they are going to help me.
I am having pain in the biceps and what appears to be bulging or lumps in the bicep
I have been stretching my neck as the scalene muscles in the neck can cause this pain from shoulder to thumb and fore finger.
I am going to attempt to do the first stretch.
Also on the site were ways to tell what is injured
Good luck to you
Thank you for taking the time to give advice.

I also have a trigger point therapy book which is helping me quite a bit.

There is another thread on here that started in 2007 is over 400 posts strong, some people have found they are deficient in Vitamin D or need more magnesium.

Just wanted to say thank you
Thank goodness I found this forum! I, too, have been experiencing intense stabbing pain in both upper arms (left hurts more than right) since January 2013.  It baffles my regular doctor, an orthopedist, and two physical therapy centers. One PT said the pain was caused by Statins (Lipitor) that I had been taking to manage cholesterol levels.  I stopped the Statins on April 1; the pain has not gone away but has receded somewhat. I am seeing a Rheumatologist in 2 weeks. The doctors I saw prescribed Alleve (naproxin) which doesn't  take away the pain but offers slight relief; also heat and ice. Friends and family don't understand/believe the pain so it is comforting to find a group that understands and has experienced the frustration of clueless doctors and no answers.

How is it that so many suffer these symptoms but no one has found a cause? Is anyone else here taking Statins?
hi I had the same thing and had , an M R I,and from that I'm going to have  seugery
this sounds like my problem using my laptop too much in the wrong hunched over position with my right arm being my dominant typing hand and my right bicep all last night and today hurts like hell and last night couldn't even pick up a light glass to take a drink!!! a bit better today but still sore. seems to be dead center in the middle of the bicep muscle!!!  no heavy lifting or exercise so has to be all this laptop time. used a regular computer and just the position to hold over the keys and use the mouse and arrows kills me!!! can mush on the arm spot itself no pain  all pain is on the deep inside. who knew who much you use a muscle till you do something to it!!!  will take naproxen and see if helps!!!
OMG this is my laugh of the day amidst all my pain. Soooooooo many people all with the exact same symptoms. Except Steve in Australia, nobody seems to have found a solution. I have never heard of a remedial massage therapist - my insurance is not going to cover it, so it's still a sacl of frozen peas and ibuprofin more me. Worrying thing is it it never seems to go away. I don't like the sound of this. Can't go the gym and I worry I will get FAT!!
I also have stabbing pain but its in my the front of my right deltoid
, and it happens when my arm is flexed and i lift my arm , i also have intermittent  neck pain and my right arm would tingle with no apparant pressure on it.
Any help with the diagnosis and what to do ?
Yayy, I found out what is wrong with me...I have Tricep Tendonitis and found a Video that helped me.  (Thanks to Steven Austrailia I went to You tube.  I saw the video he posted and decided to look at more you tube videos and discovered I have Tricep Tendonitis).  I thought it was my Bicep and didn't even know it was tendonitis and what to do with it.   Bear with the video, watch it through, yes he is crazy, but he explains it perfectly and how to easily relieve your pain.  I did it myself and in 10 minutes I felt better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEg9bIjNHdc
Hi Veryluckywoman,

I just saw your question so I hope by now you are having less pain. I am finally not having the intense stabbing pains very often anymore, but my whole bicep aches and shoulder still hurts a lot. My sisters both had the same problem and one of them gave me some exercises to do that she got from her doctor, and those have helped some. Also icing my shoulder and taking a lot of Advil helps when it aches a lot. I've been lazy and haven't done any yoga lately but that also helps quite a bit as long as I am very careful. My left shoulder seems sort of frozen and I don't have a very wide range of motion, but I think over time it will get better as it did with my right arm.

Some of the exercises that help:

Hold a stick or rod with both hands and raise your arms as high as possible without pain, keeping arms straight, and hold for five seconds. Repeat 10 times.

Shrug shoulders up, hold for five seconds, then squeeze shoulder blades together, hold for five seconds, then relax shoulder blades down for five seconds. Repeat 10 times and do three sets.

I got very good at being extremely careful with my left arm and I think that has to happen to let it heal, but you need to do the exercises to keep from losing range of motion (and they help with pain). I also sleep with a pillow under that arm because I kept accidentally hurting it at night.

Good luck; I hope you feel better!
Add another sufferer to this list!
I think I tore a muscle or strained a tendon when folding up a heavy lounge-bed, and it jammed for a moment when I was applying force. I assumed, like in the past, that it would heal up in a few weeks with rest, arnica and nettles then prescribed exercises. But no, it's getting worse and worse. Pain spread, radiating to my shoulder FROM my mid bicep, then around the back and into my ribs and even into my breast. Aches all night, sharp stabbing if I move my arm outwards or upwards. Physio was surprised to find it was NOT frozen shoulder. CT, ultrasound and Xray showed a cyst at the back of my scapula (where there is no soreness or immobility at all), and some fluid on the top of my shoulder, and a 4 millimetre calcified fragment projected through the upper arm joint. This sounds like the candidate for all the pain; perhaps it shifted and is puncturing a tendon or muscle from when the fold-out lounge jammed on me. But on the CT they say it's probably 'developmental'. Well how stupid is that? If I'd grown it in the womb or as a baby, it would have caused trouble before suddenly hitting me a month ago at the age of 58!! Unless as I suggested, it might have moved, like a splinter that gets into an uncomfortable position. What made me wonder is (a) it FEELS like something is stuck in there or out of place, causing the pain, (b) it feels as if something needs to move or click and (c) pain killers and anti-inflammatories, if they work at all, only work partially and for a very short time. If it were 'just inflammation' they should work better than they do.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
I finally went to a doctor for my upper arm/shoulder pain, they think that I have ripped the labrum it is tissue in the rotator cup which makes the socket for the arm deeper.  He also thinks I have some tears in the rotator cuff which would cause the upper arm pain or as we say the horrible stabbing pain when we move the "wrong way"  Due to insurance regs I have to go to an orthopedic to have him refer me for an MRI, will do that Monday.
I am having an MRI to check it out and will update.  I wish I had been able to go to a doctor earlier but I thought it was a strain or sprain and I could heal it with heat, ice, rest, ultrasound, advil, etc.
After a while it hurt all the time, not just when I put my hand behind my back or brushed my hair or reached forward, this week the pain was with me all the time. This started last week.
Don't wait thinking it will go away.  I am so sorry I waited until I am in agony and now have to wait for appointments to start any treatment.
Good luck
Dee
As original poster said my pain started with a stabbing pain in bicep which moved to the shoulder.
I went to the orthopedic and it is adhesive capsulitis that is also called frozen shoulder.  I have lost range of motion, it was very insidious, happened very slowly.
I wanted to come back to share this information in case anyone else might have it.
The answer is physical therapy or it gets so bad you can't touch your face.
For some reason collagen is being laid down and freeze the shoulder and arm together.
D
I wanted to come back to share this article in case anyone else is suffering from this bicep tricep shoulder pain.
It starts out slowly until 6 months later I could not brush my hair, reach behind me, etc.  Severe pain

http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Shoulder_Problems/
You may have pinched cervical spine issues. I've had similar problems and a neurologist has helped. pinpointed what was going on.why the cramping and intermittent weakness and offered excersizes and short term light duty ( on workouts). Good luck guys!feel better
I have experienced the same pain as the rest of you.  It started earlier this year after I retired.  I spend more time on my computer or my Kindle and sleep on my side with my hand tucked under my head/pillow.  Sometimes I wake up and the pain is excrutiating; other times no pain at all.  I told my doctor about this and after Xrays and MRI's showed nothing wrong he recommended I get the book "Pain Free" by Pete Egoscue.  Mr. Egoscue's theory is that all pains of this type come from misalignment of shoulders, hips, back, etc.  He provides numerous exercises that deal with the various parts that are out of alignment.  He tells you how to figure out where your problems are and the exercises that will impact it.  The exercises are not strenuous; mainly getting in a position and staying there to release inappropriate flexion.  I've tried these and gotten considerable relief.  The book is available on Amazon.  BTW I'm not related to Mr. Egoscue and don't get a kick back for recommending his book.  :-)  Anyway it's worth a try and costs you less than $15 for possible relief from your pain.  I'd be interested to hear whether this works or has worked for anyone else.
Hello all,
I have had this pain in the bicep for 6 months, I too thought it was a muscle strain, I went to a quality Physiotherapist and osteopath, he told me it is either a torn cartilege or a ligament strain in the shoulder, I said he was mad, but he put me on my back slowly pulled my arm up above my head and pushed down, the pain nealy killed me, it is in fact a shoulder problem not a muscle problem, at the moment i am doing excersises daily to build up the muscle that pulls the head of the arm into the socket, that should help, will report back after mri scans
sam
Thank you for your post about the Egoscue Pain Free book.  I got it right after your post and started doing the menu for the shoulder.  That helped my shoulder but didn't do anything for the bicep pain.  I then switched to the elbow and I am finally better.  The pain isn't gone completely.  It still hurts when I do certain things, but I can now do a lot of things it was too painful to do before, like fasten my bra.  Still hurts but not so much that I can't do it.

I bought his Motion book recently and I will begin working on my posture.  After reading the book, I realize how out of whack my whole body is.  I'm hoping that will also help with the bicep pain.

It's taken me 2 months of doing those menus to get to where I'm not miserable trying to do things.  

Thanks again.
I think the cause of my shoulder pain is the same as yours.   It must be a nasty habit.  I feel pain in the inside of the outside left shoulder.  I feel pain if I bend my arm then try to lift it.   pain in the bicep
i have the same feeling of a knife stabbing my right bicep. i am right handed and cannot even move my right arm, it is in a sling, so typing with left hand. the pain is so bad i have thrown up from it, been in the hospital twice in last few days, had ex rays and ultrasound, and diagnosed with calcific tendinitis. am on oxycotin, but it really doesn't help. my arm and hand got very swollen, got naproxen to take swelling away. now the skin has turned red; the doctor told me to go back to the hospital if this happens, so back i go, this is the worst thing ever
Same problem here.  The pain is deep within the arm and it seems impossible to pinpoint its actual location, but I lost a lot of sleep over this.  In my case I suspect that I have developed chronic trigger points (a.k.a. muscle knots) in the shoulder area, mainly due to posture and working habits, and those knots have worsened to a point where they end up pinching arm nerves that go through the shoulder, which then causes havoc in my bicep and elbow areas.  What has helped me the most so far is to perform what is known as a "pectoral stretch" by placing one arm up along a wall and stretching forward until I feel tightness in my shoulder, and massage the tender spots in front and on the side of my shoulder with my other hand.  Sleeping on my side while having my arm fully extended and stretched behind me (same position as pectoral stretch) also helped me.

I have had the same pain as everyone else here. I have been in and out of so many doctors offices, I have had x-rays, and MRI scans done. I went to three different Orthopedic specialists. I've had 3 corticosteroid  injections in my shoulder (that did nothing for the pain in my arm). On June 2, 2014 I had shoulder surgery to clean up the capsular area of the shoulder, remove some bone spurs and bursitis. He checked my rotator cuff and bicep tendons while he was in there, but they looked fine. After the surgery I  started back with physical therapy and my range of motion has improved in my shoulder and I have no pain in my shoulder, but the surgery has done nothing for the arm pain. It is still as sharp and strong as before I started treatment. My physical therapist says it should get better as I strengthen my shoulder muscles, but I am really not sure about that. I will be talking more about it with him on my next appointment and when I see my Orthopedic Doc again in October, I will be asking him about it as well. This injury seems to be very common, as I know of three other friends that are having the same issue right now. I don't understand why doctors don't know what to do about it or what it might be. All it seems they are telling their patients is to ice it and take Aleve. Both of which don't help or make the pain worse. Even rest really doesn't help.
This sounds like a rotator cuff injury, deltoid, shoulder, ect.
It radiates down the bicep but it actually comes from muscles in the shoulder.
It's because the rotator cuff muscles are very, very tiny and are easily torn. Hopefully this isn't a tear and it is just sprained, because tears will take quite awhile to heal.
Stay away from doing lateral arm raises, front arm raises, pushups, tricep dips and anything else that bothers your shoulders/arms.
Do not stretch your shoulders.
You can try out shoulder somatics (google it) it will help relax the muscles from any tension, help it to heal faster.
Also, try to strengthen your shoulder muscles. This is what helps heal injuries. Lifting heavy weights with biceps and triceps shouldn't effect your shoulders but Do NOT lift heavy weights while doing deltoid lifts, start with nothing but a band for resistance first, then you can try to lift 3-5 pounds. You want to do lateral arm raises, front arm raises to work your deltoids, and also the flyes to work the back of the shoulders too. Once these start becoming easily, very carefully up the weights. No one should ever lift more than 15 pounds for deltoids, to be safe. After awhile you should be able to start doing pushups, just be careful. I was able to do pushups after a month or so of strengthening up my shoulders after rotator cuff injury, I just couldn't do many for the longest time. Once you have a shoulder injury, you may always have to be very careful with your shoulders. Never try to lift anything heavy with your shoulder muscles, they are very small. Rotator cuff injuries are super painful! I know that sharp knife pain very well!
Hello, I am now suffering with my second frozen shoulder. These videos really helped my shoulder/bicep pain, thank you