Stabbing bicep pain when I lift my arm
For the last 3 months (since April 2005), I've developed a stabbing pain in my left bicep when my arm is in certain positions.  The pain is located deep within my arm in the center of my upper arm and is very intense (i.e., level 8-10) as if a knife was plunged into the center of my bicep.  When the pain happens, I have to use my right arm to pick up the left arm and move it into a neutral position down and in front of me.  Depending on how intense the episode was, it can take anywhere from 5-10 seconds for the pain to subside and disappear completely.

The pain happens when I lift my arm into certain positions (i.e., overhead presses especially when my arm lifts next to my head or behind my head).  I am no longer able to put a bar behind my neck and grip it from behind.  The motion of bringing my arm up and back to grasp the bar is excrutiating.  It doesn't matter if I'm lifting weights or not -- I experience the pain in my everyday life too whenever my arm is raised, bent at the elbow, and moved backward.  Note, I am able to do bicep curls or hammer curls with 5# weights without pain so any bicep-related activity in front of my body is pain free.  Tricep kick backs and tricep "push ups" are also pain free.

I have been active, including aerobics, biking, skiing, lifting weights (5# or less), on and off all my life and 3-4 times a week since late last year and consider myself in excellent shape and am of a normal weight for my height and age (45).

Note, I broke my ankle in June so didn't exercise much at all for 2 months but the arm pain is still there.
I felt compelled to write in as well as I have had the same kind of pain since the summer of 2012..I went to the Dr and he gave me a strong inbuprophen cream to put on my left bicep and it did eliviate the pain for 8 hrs but that was it..I went to pyshio and she had me do curls with a large rubber band and that didnt  help so i never bothered going back...what i did find interesting is that when i was using my arm for physical work but watching my limits with it that the pain was starting to go away but after I had stopped the pain increased again...since then i havent done anything too great with it and it is still with me to this day...It seems like a common thing after reading these posts which i didnt realize...I too could not figure out how i did it but i have a young child so maybe lifting her up and holding on with my left arm is the only thing that may have triggered it...I do hope it goes away eventually but doesnt seem like it as it is still with me at this point in time....has anyone found a cure other than rest.....
Hi Dean, I am not sure if you saw my earlier post above. Scroll up just a bit to June 27, 2012. That post may be of interest to you.
Finally!!  I have found something to prove I am not crazy with the bicep pain! I have a Partially torn rotator cuff from a fall with arms out and shortly afterwards the shoulder then "froze". It continues to worsen, not improve despite over a month of PT. I hear you all, ladies, on the tortures of bras, shaving and blow dryers, add backing out of parking spaces to the list! I am going for a second opinion tmrw ( took almost 3 months to get appt, I seriously hope it's not too late, from what I have learned about torn bicep tendons and scar tissue.) My  PT and first ortho doc insist that this arm pain is "referred pain from shoulder" but the bring me to my knees-literally- stabbing scream/cry pain I get from a random wrong move or jarring motion like catching self in a stumble or pulling a door open, seems hard to believe it is "referred"and not something separate - quite embarrassing as I seem to have no control or ability to suck it up when it occurs, just wait it out in tears and deep breaths. Thankfully it happens mostly at home not in public!  I will update after my Ortho consult and hopefully have some helpful info to share, not just my tales of woe ;)
Hello everyone. I wanted to share some new information that I found very helpful for my own condition. In one of my earlier posts in

this thread (June 27, 2012), I mentioned that I fixed my bicep pain issue by getting remedial massage on my pectoral muscle. Whilst

that did work, I found over time, the bicep pain kept creeping back (but never as bad as it was originally).

Previously I mentioned that a tight pec muscle can be a cause for pain in the bicep (due to trigger points) because the bicep and

pec muscles attach to the shoulder at a similar point. To keep my pec stretched, the remedial massage guy told me to go home and

lift my elbow up horizontal and put my elbow against the door frame, then slowly twist my body away to stretch the pec. This did the

trick; however, it never cured me 100% because after a while the bicep pain would creep back just enough to be annoying. So I

started my internet search again!

I found some YouTube videos by a chiropractor. You really need to watch both videos. The first video shows a stretch that not only

stretches the pec but the bicep too. In the first video he mentions the need to ice the shoulder. This is where the second video

comes in, and I suggest you do watch it because it is key. Most chemists (or drug stores if you're in the USA) sell ice packs, which

are great, or you can use whatever ice blocks you have in the freezer including a bag of peas. I use a thin kitchen towel to wrap

around the ice pack. Anyway, since doing the icing and stretches now for a week, I have noticed a significant improvement. Please

don't think that you will be cured after one session. It might take you a few days before you feel any improvement. And you may have

to do these stretches long-term. I have incorporated the icing/stretches into my gym routine, so no dramas.

As always, this is just information for you to consider. You must realise that your condition might be different to mine. I suggest

you watch both videos and consider if this may help you. If in doubt, talk to a medical professional first. Remember, this new

exercise stretches your bicep and your pec at the same time. Don't use excessive force when stretching, use your common sense as to

what a firm stretch is without causing you more damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH3hILhe-bg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dasv9_-8eWw

Cheers!
I started about a year ago with difficulty walking on tread mill, then up flights of steps my legs hurt terribly. I cut out walking the steps my legs get tired with to much walking little stiff.    6 months ago a started with pain in right arm and now its terrible in my left arm, stabbling pain at night I can't lift it 3 inches off my chest and it hurts moving it away from my chest to the side want to cry.   I seen a orthopedic dr. and he sent me for a xray said it showed pseudogout then sent me for an MRI.   I will see him again Monday and let you know what he says.   The pain to me feels like its the bicep can't remember an injury but I do work very hard and by Friday night it's killing me
I had this exact same problem in my right arm a few years ago. The pain got worse and worse until I couldn't sleep; it just always felt broken. I never saw a doctor (no health insurance), but eventually I found that exercising and using my arm very carefully actually made it feel a little better. Yoga also helped, and after a year it finally healed. I've never regained the same range of motion but at least it feels normal now. A few months ago my left arm started hurting the same way and it's getting worse. It mostly hurts when I move it too far or try to lift things with it stretched out to the side. I have tried to use it carefully but so far nothing has helped, and sudden movements are agonizing. I watched the videos that Steven_Australia (above) suggested and will see if icing and stretching that arm will help. I'll update with results.
I had surgery on Dec 27th 2012....still I have slight pain in my shoulder,for the most part the pain is gone...except for from time to time,it gets like stuck...and I can not lift it higher than shoulder level...in less I move it very fast and slam it past the shoulder level,and it will snap real loud,and hurt like a BIOTCH...and will make me scream in pain for just a few seconds...but even this is not what bothers me most....

Since I had surgery,my bicep has continued to feel like a very large needle is moving around in there,and when I move into different directions,or different movement,it will feel like it is all the way down inside my bicep...jabbing deeper and deeper into that muscle....on many occassion I have literally wanted to go make them take an xray of my bicep...just to prove to me that there really is nothing left in there from the surgery.

Should I go back to the orthopedic and see what he says about all of this...I keep hoping this needle pain will go away,and the sticking of my shoulder...
Hi I'm new here too- I have had this INTENSE stabbing pain in my bicep for months when I move my arm in a certain way-  I am losing flexibility and range of motion, my shoulder hurts, but if i apply pressure at certain places on my shoulder i seem to be pain free, (only while i am applying pressure) im not sleeping well, and when my reflex pulls my arm back suddenly I am literally in tears until the pain subsides ( about 5 minutes) I have no insurance either and am at my wits end-I feel like it is now effecting my quality of life.

Any suggestions or successful results?
Sorry I promised I would respond after ortho specialist and lost where I posted. Just found it. I was told again for the third time that it is referred pain from the shoulder. It has been over a month now since I have screamed with that stabbing horrible pain we speak of, since we ((PT and I)  increased the stretching at physical therapy with more of a pulling action on their part added on to stretches I actively did like rolling a ball etc. I never thought it would go away but it is healing. When it gets me now, rarely,  it's only a 3 not a 9 or 10 level and now more public humiliation on my knees in agony. I write this to give you some hope so you don't give up. Keep it moving, stretching. Good luck! (P.s. still frozen but moved a little tiny bit)
Thank you for sharing your information
I appreciate
Thank you for the videos, I think they are going to help me.
I am having pain in the biceps and what appears to be bulging or lumps in the bicep
I have been stretching my neck as the scalene muscles in the neck can cause this pain from shoulder to thumb and fore finger.
I am going to attempt to do the first stretch.
Also on the site were ways to tell what is injured
Good luck to you
Thank you for taking the time to give advice.

I also have a trigger point therapy book which is helping me quite a bit.

There is another thread on here that started in 2007 is over 400 posts strong, some people have found they are deficient in Vitamin D or need more magnesium.

Just wanted to say thank you
Thank goodness I found this forum! I, too, have been experiencing intense stabbing pain in both upper arms (left hurts more than right) since January 2013.  It baffles my regular doctor, an orthopedist, and two physical therapy centers. One PT said the pain was caused by Statins (Lipitor) that I had been taking to manage cholesterol levels.  I stopped the Statins on April 1; the pain has not gone away but has receded somewhat. I am seeing a Rheumatologist in 2 weeks. The doctors I saw prescribed Alleve (naproxin) which doesn't  take away the pain but offers slight relief; also heat and ice. Friends and family don't understand/believe the pain so it is comforting to find a group that understands and has experienced the frustration of clueless doctors and no answers.

How is it that so many suffer these symptoms but no one has found a cause? Is anyone else here taking Statins?
hi I had the same thing and had , an M R I,and from that I'm going to have  seugery
this sounds like my problem using my laptop too much in the wrong hunched over position with my right arm being my dominant typing hand and my right bicep all last night and today hurts like hell and last night couldn't even pick up a light glass to take a drink!!! a bit better today but still sore. seems to be dead center in the middle of the bicep muscle!!!  no heavy lifting or exercise so has to be all this laptop time. used a regular computer and just the position to hold over the keys and use the mouse and arrows kills me!!! can mush on the arm spot itself no pain  all pain is on the deep inside. who knew who much you use a muscle till you do something to it!!!  will take naproxen and see if helps!!!
OMG this is my laugh of the day amidst all my pain. Soooooooo many people all with the exact same symptoms. Except Steve in Australia, nobody seems to have found a solution. I have never heard of a remedial massage therapist - my insurance is not going to cover it, so it's still a sacl of frozen peas and ibuprofin more me. Worrying thing is it it never seems to go away. I don't like the sound of this. Can't go the gym and I worry I will get FAT!!
I also have stabbing pain but its in my the front of my right deltoid
, and it happens when my arm is flexed and i lift my arm , i also have intermittent  neck pain and my right arm would tingle with no apparant pressure on it.
Any help with the diagnosis and what to do ?
Yayy, I found out what is wrong with me...I have Tricep Tendonitis and found a Video that helped me.  (Thanks to Steven Austrailia I went to You tube.  I saw the video he posted and decided to look at more you tube videos and discovered I have Tricep Tendonitis).  I thought it was my Bicep and didn't even know it was tendonitis and what to do with it.   Bear with the video, watch it through, yes he is crazy, but he explains it perfectly and how to easily relieve your pain.  I did it myself and in 10 minutes I felt better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEg9bIjNHdc
Hi Veryluckywoman,

I just saw your question so I hope by now you are having less pain. I am finally not having the intense stabbing pains very often anymore, but my whole bicep aches and shoulder still hurts a lot. My sisters both had the same problem and one of them gave me some exercises to do that she got from her doctor, and those have helped some. Also icing my shoulder and taking a lot of Advil helps when it aches a lot. I've been lazy and haven't done any yoga lately but that also helps quite a bit as long as I am very careful. My left shoulder seems sort of frozen and I don't have a very wide range of motion, but I think over time it will get better as it did with my right arm.

Some of the exercises that help:

Hold a stick or rod with both hands and raise your arms as high as possible without pain, keeping arms straight, and hold for five seconds. Repeat 10 times.

Shrug shoulders up, hold for five seconds, then squeeze shoulder blades together, hold for five seconds, then relax shoulder blades down for five seconds. Repeat 10 times and do three sets.

I got very good at being extremely careful with my left arm and I think that has to happen to let it heal, but you need to do the exercises to keep from losing range of motion (and they help with pain). I also sleep with a pillow under that arm because I kept accidentally hurting it at night.

Good luck; I hope you feel better!
Add another sufferer to this list!
I think I tore a muscle or strained a tendon when folding up a heavy lounge-bed, and it jammed for a moment when I was applying force. I assumed, like in the past, that it would heal up in a few weeks with rest, arnica and nettles then prescribed exercises. But no, it's getting worse and worse. Pain spread, radiating to my shoulder FROM my mid bicep, then around the back and into my ribs and even into my breast. Aches all night, sharp stabbing if I move my arm outwards or upwards. Physio was surprised to find it was NOT frozen shoulder. CT, ultrasound and Xray showed a cyst at the back of my scapula (where there is no soreness or immobility at all), and some fluid on the top of my shoulder, and a 4 millimetre calcified fragment projected through the upper arm joint. This sounds like the candidate for all the pain; perhaps it shifted and is puncturing a tendon or muscle from when the fold-out lounge jammed on me. But on the CT they say it's probably 'developmental'. Well how stupid is that? If I'd grown it in the womb or as a baby, it would have caused trouble before suddenly hitting me a month ago at the age of 58!! Unless as I suggested, it might have moved, like a splinter that gets into an uncomfortable position. What made me wonder is (a) it FEELS like something is stuck in there or out of place, causing the pain, (b) it feels as if something needs to move or click and (c) pain killers and anti-inflammatories, if they work at all, only work partially and for a very short time. If it were 'just inflammation' they should work better than they do.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
I finally went to a doctor for my upper arm/shoulder pain, they think that I have ripped the labrum it is tissue in the rotator cup which makes the socket for the arm deeper.  He also thinks I have some tears in the rotator cuff which would cause the upper arm pain or as we say the horrible stabbing pain when we move the "wrong way"  Due to insurance regs I have to go to an orthopedic to have him refer me for an MRI, will do that Monday.
I am having an MRI to check it out and will update.  I wish I had been able to go to a doctor earlier but I thought it was a strain or sprain and I could heal it with heat, ice, rest, ultrasound, advil, etc.
After a while it hurt all the time, not just when I put my hand behind my back or brushed my hair or reached forward, this week the pain was with me all the time. This started last week.
Don't wait thinking it will go away.  I am so sorry I waited until I am in agony and now have to wait for appointments to start any treatment.
Good luck
Dee
As original poster said my pain started with a stabbing pain in bicep which moved to the shoulder.
I went to the orthopedic and it is adhesive capsulitis that is also called frozen shoulder.  I have lost range of motion, it was very insidious, happened very slowly.
I wanted to come back to share this information in case anyone else might have it.
The answer is physical therapy or it gets so bad you can't touch your face.
For some reason collagen is being laid down and freeze the shoulder and arm together.
D
I wanted to come back to share this article in case anyone else is suffering from this bicep tricep shoulder pain.
It starts out slowly until 6 months later I could not brush my hair, reach behind me, etc.  Severe pain

http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Shoulder_Problems/
You may have pinched cervical spine issues. I've had similar problems and a neurologist has helped. pinpointed what was going on.why the cramping and intermittent weakness and offered excersizes and short term light duty ( on workouts). Good luck guys!feel better
I have experienced the same pain as the rest of you.  It started earlier this year after I retired.  I spend more time on my computer or my Kindle and sleep on my side with my hand tucked under my head/pillow.  Sometimes I wake up and the pain is excrutiating; other times no pain at all.  I told my doctor about this and after Xrays and MRI's showed nothing wrong he recommended I get the book "Pain Free" by Pete Egoscue.  Mr. Egoscue's theory is that all pains of this type come from misalignment of shoulders, hips, back, etc.  He provides numerous exercises that deal with the various parts that are out of alignment.  He tells you how to figure out where your problems are and the exercises that will impact it.  The exercises are not strenuous; mainly getting in a position and staying there to release inappropriate flexion.  I've tried these and gotten considerable relief.  The book is available on Amazon.  BTW I'm not related to Mr. Egoscue and don't get a kick back for recommending his book.  :-)  Anyway it's worth a try and costs you less than $15 for possible relief from your pain.  I'd be interested to hear whether this works or has worked for anyone else.
Hello all,
I have had this pain in the bicep for 6 months, I too thought it was a muscle strain, I went to a quality Physiotherapist and osteopath, he told me it is either a torn cartilege or a ligament strain in the shoulder, I said he was mad, but he put me on my back slowly pulled my arm up above my head and pushed down, the pain nealy killed me, it is in fact a shoulder problem not a muscle problem, at the moment i am doing excersises daily to build up the muscle that pulls the head of the arm into the socket, that should help, will report back after mri scans
sam
Thank you for your post about the Egoscue Pain Free book.  I got it right after your post and started doing the menu for the shoulder.  That helped my shoulder but didn't do anything for the bicep pain.  I then switched to the elbow and I am finally better.  The pain isn't gone completely.  It still hurts when I do certain things, but I can now do a lot of things it was too painful to do before, like fasten my bra.  Still hurts but not so much that I can't do it.

I bought his Motion book recently and I will begin working on my posture.  After reading the book, I realize how out of whack my whole body is.  I'm hoping that will also help with the bicep pain.

It's taken me 2 months of doing those menus to get to where I'm not miserable trying to do things.  

Thanks again.
I think the cause of my shoulder pain is the same as yours.   It must be a nasty habit.  I feel pain in the inside of the outside left shoulder.  I feel pain if I bend my arm then try to lift it.   pain in the bicep
i have the same feeling of a knife stabbing my right bicep. i am right handed and cannot even move my right arm, it is in a sling, so typing with left hand. the pain is so bad i have thrown up from it, been in the hospital twice in last few days, had ex rays and ultrasound, and diagnosed with calcific tendinitis. am on oxycotin, but it really doesn't help. my arm and hand got very swollen, got naproxen to take swelling away. now the skin has turned red; the doctor told me to go back to the hospital if this happens, so back i go, this is the worst thing ever
Same problem here.  The pain is deep within the arm and it seems impossible to pinpoint its actual location, but I lost a lot of sleep over this.  In my case I suspect that I have developed chronic trigger points (a.k.a. muscle knots) in the shoulder area, mainly due to posture and working habits, and those knots have worsened to a point where they end up pinching arm nerves that go through the shoulder, which then causes havoc in my bicep and elbow areas.  What has helped me the most so far is to perform what is known as a "pectoral stretch" by placing one arm up along a wall and stretching forward until I feel tightness in my shoulder, and massage the tender spots in front and on the side of my shoulder with my other hand.  Sleeping on my side while having my arm fully extended and stretched behind me (same position as pectoral stretch) also helped me.

I have had the same pain as everyone else here. I have been in and out of so many doctors offices, I have had x-rays, and MRI scans done. I went to three different Orthopedic specialists. I've had 3 corticosteroid  injections in my shoulder (that did nothing for the pain in my arm). On June 2, 2014 I had shoulder surgery to clean up the capsular area of the shoulder, remove some bone spurs and bursitis. He checked my rotator cuff and bicep tendons while he was in there, but they looked fine. After the surgery I  started back with physical therapy and my range of motion has improved in my shoulder and I have no pain in my shoulder, but the surgery has done nothing for the arm pain. It is still as sharp and strong as before I started treatment. My physical therapist says it should get better as I strengthen my shoulder muscles, but I am really not sure about that. I will be talking more about it with him on my next appointment and when I see my Orthopedic Doc again in October, I will be asking him about it as well. This injury seems to be very common, as I know of three other friends that are having the same issue right now. I don't understand why doctors don't know what to do about it or what it might be. All it seems they are telling their patients is to ice it and take Aleve. Both of which don't help or make the pain worse. Even rest really doesn't help.
This sounds like a rotator cuff injury, deltoid, shoulder, ect.
It radiates down the bicep but it actually comes from muscles in the shoulder.
It's because the rotator cuff muscles are very, very tiny and are easily torn. Hopefully this isn't a tear and it is just sprained, because tears will take quite awhile to heal.
Stay away from doing lateral arm raises, front arm raises, pushups, tricep dips and anything else that bothers your shoulders/arms.
Do not stretch your shoulders.
You can try out shoulder somatics (google it) it will help relax the muscles from any tension, help it to heal faster.
Also, try to strengthen your shoulder muscles. This is what helps heal injuries. Lifting heavy weights with biceps and triceps shouldn't effect your shoulders but Do NOT lift heavy weights while doing deltoid lifts, start with nothing but a band for resistance first, then you can try to lift 3-5 pounds. You want to do lateral arm raises, front arm raises to work your deltoids, and also the flyes to work the back of the shoulders too. Once these start becoming easily, very carefully up the weights. No one should ever lift more than 15 pounds for deltoids, to be safe. After awhile you should be able to start doing pushups, just be careful. I was able to do pushups after a month or so of strengthening up my shoulders after rotator cuff injury, I just couldn't do many for the longest time. Once you have a shoulder injury, you may always have to be very careful with your shoulders. Never try to lift anything heavy with your shoulder muscles, they are very small. Rotator cuff injuries are super painful! I know that sharp knife pain very well!
Hello, I am now suffering with my second frozen shoulder. These videos really helped my shoulder/bicep pain, thank you

I do this same thing with my left hand when I am on the computer and I have pain in my left upper arm, biceps muscle.  I am going to try to stop doing this, take anti-inflammatory meds for a while and see if it goes away.
I had the same pains a after my dog jerked the leash.  I use DMSO (Dimethyl sulphoxide).  I'm a retired chemistry teacher and buy from Dr. Jacob's lab.  He studied DMSO for 50 years.  My pain is doing away.  Be sure when you use it that your hands and body are.clean.  Expect a tingling itchy feeling when you apply. I simple place it on with my hand.  Don't get it on floors or furniture.  It will make a spot.  I take 1 tsp in my orange juice in the also.  Many books YouTube videos.  Don't let anyone talk you out of it.  It's the modern-day miracle cure like aspirin.  I'm 73 now.  Dr. Jacob is 93.  I had been in such good health that I stopped my DMSO then the dog leash incident and I'm back on.  I use it for toothache, muscle cramps, headache, etc.  Buy it at health food stores or off-line.  Some people get garlic odor some don't.  Stay healthy
I had the exact same scenario. My dog pulled my arm when I was walking him.  Did you ever get a  diagnosis ?  My ultrasound showed  inflammation  tendinitis. A months worth of PT seems to be making me worse.  I really think I tore my bicep?  Just wondering which route to go next. I'm looking into DMSO, I'm allergic to aspirin and  sulfa drugs. Thanks
DMSO is absorbed through the skin into cells.  It repairs damaged cells including pre-cancerous ones.  Apply it topically and or orally where the problem is.  It will be absorbed into that area.  It reducing inflammation which is cause of most pain.  
I am not sure if you every found a cure or even getting this but I have the same issues with both upper arms and serious in need to what the hell is going on..  in 6 month have lost about 40 % of upper are movment and any quick movement with the upper are ans it feels like my arms are being ripped off .. so I am asking did you find treatment. thanks   Tim  at   tpe-usa  *******
You are not alone....   I have tried the doctor approach...  No help.... But lots of cost.  Some of the exercise videos helped a little but then seemed to make it worse after a couple's weeks...  I have battled this for 2 yrs..  I'll keep reading this blog and hope I find answer.  I'm 67, 115 lb, 5'1" ....  And a gal....  At this point I can't even brush my hair , can't pull my pants up, can't lift or push anything with my right arm....  I'm pretty tough, I was a general contractor/ remolder..
Sorry, I forgot to tell you I wear a sport band on my bicep. I move it around during the day.  Higher or lower, it helps the pain most of everything I've tried. I've been wearing it a couple! Months now and I even sleep with on.
I am sure that that is what has happened to me. Over use on the computer.
I noticed while reading your comment that I hang my arms in mid air while working on site. When pain started my bicep never swelled. A sharp pain suddenly appeared out of nowhere when I moved it.
No other explaination for this month long pain. Can't sleep on the arm and sometimes it will ache when I am trying to sleep.
I will change my position while using the computer. Today I am resting my whole forearm onto the desk top while typing. Thank  you
I am a 51 year old woman. Approximately 3 years ago I fell on the ice and 2 weeks later sharp pains occurred in my left arm-- bicep area--for example: reaching above my head to put something on a shelf & in the position to put my coat on.The pain was unbearable.I had 2-3 shots of cortizone. Later, I could not move my entire arm, the pain was up into my shoulder and in the original area. Had a x-ray, MRI, and physical therapy. Diagnosed with a "frozen shoulder". Before my arm was better I fell again on the same arm. Pain came back stronger. Eventually after approximately 11/2 years arm was better. Every now and then I have a medium to sharp pain. Well, today I have the same pains but not as strong in my right arm--bicep area--but, I did not fall. Pain is bad when I try to pull start a lawn mower or sudden movements. I have not got this arm treated, because it seems like there is no particular reason for this pain, so---just have to deal with it--maybe someday a reason will show-up and if it get's bad again--just get another shot or 2 or 3. I can understand everyone's concern, because this is very painful.

UNKNOWN
I had same issues and found out I have
Ankylosing Spondylitis or AS. A lifelong autoimmune disease.
ANK-ki-low-sing
spawn-di-LIE-tis
Inflammation pain and stiffness mainly in spinal joints.  
Lower back
Hips
Neck
Shoulders
Legs
Ribs no
Feet bottom heels
Hi Nilda, I`d like to thank you for all the info, you took the time to let everyone know about your situation and the possible treatment, so I have the same exact problem, but on my right bicep instead, same symptoms that you have, my physician sent me to a physiotherapist, but no improvement, I believe the cause of my pain is related to work, the pain is sharp and it does not matter whether you are lifting anything, its the position, I have to see my doctor again and I will suggest your situation, thank you.
Mine just like Nilda for about 3 month now and nothing helps..pain is like stabbing..went to Doc and got a cortozone shot but no help..... wake up nites from pain...am 77 years old and have been doing 15 pushups daily every morning as part of my regaler routine and stretching my shouldres as well...... at a loss cusz I don't tolerate pain meds......still doing volunteer work st a Goodwill store  but its limited as well....
i have the same problem when i stretch my right arm and it's more painful when i remove my clothes
i have the same problem
I had a chiropractor do a adjustment on my arm and feltimmediately pain. I'm having the same pain as others describe. I have tried ice and anti inflammatory meds but it has not gotten any better and its been over2months. Any ideas what it could be?
I have the same pain and I believe it is nerve related.  I can't seem to find any info on it though.
My pain started about January I mentioned it to my doctor around March. As the year progressed the doctor kept blowing me off until she decided to xray. Then she decided there was a shadow and would re do the xrays in 3 months. Waited, and worried that it was a tumor, last xray showed it to be clean. I did PT for 3 weeks only to come up worse off. I have stabbing pain in my bicep which sometimes radiates into the shoulder. It is now November and Im waiting for an MRI. Heat does not work, Ibuprofen doesn't touch it, pills are useless, PT was excruciating and made things worse.  I am able to lift heavy items no problem, however, small things like putting on my clothes, hanging my arm to the side without support, and just about anything in between. I have to sleep with my arm over my head in order to get any relief.  Of course it has taken so long because I am a veteran and the VA is super slow no matter how much pain your in. They just want to throw a pill at it. Please help!!!
Hi Nilda, I read your entry about a year ago and felt so pleased that I found someone describing exactly what I was suffering with. Since about three years ago I started to have have the 'plunging knife' pains in my left bicep when I moved my arm in certain positions - very painful. It became more frequent over time, and also started to happen in my other arm also. It got to the point where I could not put on a shirt, jacket or backpack without the chance of the shooting pain, nor raise my arm above my head in certain positions. Turning over in bed also carried the risk of a sudden hit of pain.

I would say that I now have about a 90% recovery and no longer get the shooting pains at all

I went to the Napropat student clinic (I think this translates as osteopath in English) here in Stockholm last September. They were puzzled by my case, and had not come across what I described before. Although they initially thought it was due to problems is in my neck/spine, the treatment over many weeks has focused on my shoulder. Three things have helped:
- Deep tissue massage on certain points around my shoulder blade. At the top, back and front the student found and worked very small areas of muscle that were virtually rigid. Almost like pressure points, it was painful,  but with sustained pressure over minutes (almost like acupuncture) the muscle seemed to release and become relaxed. She found several spots over the weeks and each time i felt a little nauseous as the muscle was massaged.
- At the same time she gave me 'muscle gliding' exercises for each arm. To slowly curl and uncurl each arm. Starting with the arm extended out sideways, level with the shoulder, palm up Then slowly curling and uncurling the arm thirty times each side twice a day
- I was also doing very mild physio to strengthen muscles around the shoulder cuff and also in the back to give more support to the shoulder joint.

I believe the pain has been caused by hunching my shoulders over many years. I broke my left collar bone twice as a kid and maybe I subconsciously protect the bone by raising my shoulder slightly all the time. I naturally respond to stress by hunching also. My guess is that over time my muscles that carry my shoulder became rigid and taught. This seems to have affected the shoulder muscles and joint together such that the major nerve running down the arm and bicep got pinched in certain positions.  

Since treatment the intense pains have stopped, I am more conscious of carrying my shoulders down and back from how I used to. I still get diffuse aches across the front of my left shoulder and in my bicep from time to time, but things are very much better now.

I hope this helps.
I hope I can help , fist off it's called a frozen shoulder . I had it severe on my left side for over a year . Couldn't sleep on it or lift it to shave my arm . My primary pain was in my front shoulder . I iced it I used icy hot and lightly stretched it  finally went away after a year . Then 3 years later my right side except the pain was front bicep and stabbing if I reached for anything out to my side and back or trying to put my right  arm in to a jacket after my left. I happened to mention it to my mother doctor and he laughed and said it's frozen shoulder caused by holding iPad tablet or phone and using your arm to type for long periods of time . He said stop it for two days see if t you have relief ( it was not easy but I used my good arm to hold either if I had to and voice texted . I will say I had amazing partial relief and it's getting better . I guess when I was reading  for 2-4 hours or answering emails sitting in one position everyday I'm stressing that bicep muscle and not exercising the shoulder . I hope this helps
Thank you, Sandra3022.  I could nott understand what I had done but your explanation fits, as do your symptoms.  I have just spent 6 weeks overseas using an 8 inch tablet instead of a computer. Probably holding it for hours at a time.  My bicep started to hurt and I had pain reaching back and putting on tshirts, jackets, etc about a week before I came home and I could not think what had caused it.  Now that I think about it, I had to put the tablet down a few times because my hand and arm were hurting. It is gradually getting better, but it hurts more when I use the mouse on the computer a lot - or the tablet!