Exercise & Fitness Community
Steam rooms and saunas

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Steam rooms and saunas

I'm currently 31 weeks pregnant and stay very active. I go to the gym everyday (approved by my doctors and Midwives). Before I became pregnant I used the steam room and found it extremely beneficial for my skin. Of course I have had to put that on hold for now, I do plan on resuming it once the baby is born. I plan on breastfeeding and this may seem like a strange question but will steam rooms or saunas decrease my milk supply? I have not been able to find any information on this subject via internet. I would be thankful for any info you may have on this.

Sincerely.
How you are feeling and how many weeks are you pregnant?
Using steam rooms after delivery and during breast feeding should not be of a concern to you or to your baby.
It would not effect breast feeding in any manner and there would be any decrease in milk production in your body as milk production is dependant upon Oxytocin-prolactin hormone cycle.
If you notice any symptoms suggesting that your milk production has decreased, then you can inform your Gynae and necessary intervention can be done.
Keep me informed.
Bye.
I gave birth by c-section 5months back and want to steam bathe..will that affect me in any way?