Exercise & Fitness Community
Stomach pain after playing basketball

Take charge of your health by joining others like you. Ask a question, join a conversation, get tips: fitness, nutrition, and management tools / trackers.

Stomach pain after playing basketball

When i play basketball, soccer (any sport that i have to run) I always feel ok for the 1st portion of the time i play. Then all of a sudden i experience sharp stomach pains. This continues long after I'm done playing which ever sport i was participating in. sometimes it'll feel like i have to use the restroom but when I try i can't do it. It'll will take me several tries before i have a bowel movement. When I do have one, my stomach will hurt even more as it is occuring. The problem occurs more frequently during the warm months. Drinking fluids will usually make it even more painful. Often times my stomach will have an odd shape. My mom (a nurse) says the term for that is "distented." The pain will stop for a few seconds then come roaring back.

Here are a few more notes of importance:
I usually stay hydrated when i play.
My diet could be  better but I don't consume huge amounts of junk food or anything of the sort.
I'm not a couch potato. I'm a teen who is 5 ft 3, 115 pounds. Not too overweight, not too skinny either.I play outside when I can. Probably around 4 times a week.

If anyone knows what could be wrong i would greatly appreciate any help

It is important to stay hydrated, but exercising with a stomach full of fluid or food can give you side aches.   Hydrate the night preceding a big match and don't drink more then 1/2 cup of water within a half hour preceding the match and another 1/2 cup of water during.  Rehydrate yourself afterward.  It is good to hear you a so active keep it up!
Hi jbizzle9192, how are you doing? Yes, it is important to keep yourself well hydrated with plenty of fluids and glucose as muscles take up glucose fast. Are you having problems of indigestion and acid reflux? Distended stomach due to gas is sometimes after meal can cause the intermittent colic, which comes and goes. Try to avoid spicy foods and better to avoid bulky meals and have more frequent snacks or small meals. Cap. Ocid on empty stomach and antacid gel prn may help. If required antispasmodic can be taken and consult your family physician for an examination. Take care and update on progress.
I'm having problems with cramps in my sides. How do you think the best way to lose them  during playing basketball? I'm about 5"10 172 lb and 13 year old. Plz tell me what I can do before practice and during practice to help prevent having cramps

JohnHaganMD commented on Timing of Cataract Su...
erotida commented on Timing of Cataract Su...
mishymoshymarcy Breathe and let go, I can d... Comment
Aug 23
Achieve your weight goals
Exercise Tracker
Make exercise part of your routine