Exercise & Fitness Community
Strained muscles on my left side

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Strained muscles on my left side

Since about six years I am suffering from strained/parenthesed/sour muscles on the left side of my side (specially the Psoas) and on the left side of my back. This is worst at the muscles from the lower ribs connected to the pelvis.

My guess is, I can be wrong of course, that my complaints are caused by playing rugby
on a high level for several years while suffering from an injury on my left knee (I have no cartilage under my knee cap). Because of this injury I have been relieving my left side while burdening my right.  I have the feeling that because of this I have a wrong position, which I am not able to correct.

The complaints are worse when I am sitting or standing for a while. Because I have an office job I am suffering a lot at work (sitting and also driving in the car). While sporting the complaints lessen.

I already tried fysiotherapy, ceasar therapy, manual therapy and ostheopathy without success. There has also been a lot of research (mri scans, research of the organs, hart, lungs, etc.), but they found nothing.

Recently  I feel my complaints the whole day (while they are worsening during the day while working and sitting at the office) and give me trouble focusing on my work and giving me a restless feeling.

My question is;
Is there someone who recognizes these symptoms and/or has tips or solutions.

Thanks a lot in advance for replying!!!!
I have one leg that is shorter than the other and my symptoms are just like yours. If I am walking I tend to be okay but if I have to stand or sit for a long period of time (standing in place 5 minutes, sitting 1 hour) I get moderate to terrible back neck and shoulder pain.

You may want to get a knee brace or some type of orthopedic device to correct this problem.
Some other advice I could give you would be to invest in a firmer mattress if you haven't already. I also find that when I am at home and I have a flare up in pain lying on the floor or another hard surface really helps.

If you get pain while driving you could be fitted for a custom made drivers seat. (Race car drivers do this to prevent back and neck pain during races). The same could be done for an office chair.  Inusrance may cover this because it is a real medical condition. You also pointed out you play Rugby so you probably come from a country that has free healthcare and you may not have to pay for it at all.
Dear Luke,

Thanks a lot for your advise! I'm going to check out if this is the cause of my problem (it does sound like it is).

Do you wear a kneebrace or something and does this help a lot? Will I be able to sport at a high level again? Are you complaint/pain free now?

A lot of questions I hope you want to answer.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

William

I haven't yet gotten a shoelift, but I think my difference may require surgery and I am more willing to deal with the ociasional pain then months of painful bone lengthning.

It seems like to me that from favoring one side you may have thrown your back or hips out of allignment. (If this were just a leg thing sitting down would take the pain away. But if your hips are out of allignemnt you will be favoirng one leg even when sitting down which will cause pain.

A good test for this is to look in a mirror while not wearing a shirt and see if your shoulders are square or if they are titled. If they are tilted it could indicate a hip problem. Also ask someone to look at you (when you are unaware of it) and ask them if your head is tilted towards one side. These are all signs of a problem in leg length.

Thanks for the tips, tomorrow I'll see the doctor so he can send me through to a specialist who can check ou ti f this is my problem.

I'll keep you informed.
William1,

I frequently have a strained muscle on my right or left side with shooting pain down the corresponding arm. I'm not sure what causes it, but it happens more than I'd like.

You're the first person I have heard of with a similar problem and I have to tell you that mine can be severe. I currently have it on my right side and it's the worst it's ever been. I can hardly stand up, sit up and lying down is really difficult. Basically moving in any direction is very painful.

Have you found anything to give your relief? Have any suggestions from others that have helped you?

I'm interested in any feedback from anyone regarding this recurring problem I have.

Thanks in advance!
Scott

He Scott,

I'm seeing a podotherapist in September. He's going to look if I have a difference in length in my legs, that might cause my, and maybe your, complaints.

I'll keep you posted.