Exercise & Fitness Community
Threw out my back a week ago, leg pain now

Our Exercise & Fitness community to help you take charge of your health. Ask a question, join a conversation, get tips: fitness, nutrition, and management tools / trackers.

I threw out my back last Thursday. The quick story, I was being stupid. I had to do a heavy bench and deadlift at practice and follow it up with a 70% of max squat for 3x3. I got a little antsy on my last squat (which I was doing beltless with a fatigued back) and went to rack the weight before I completely locked out.

I did an awkward step with my right foot and threw out my back (mostly on the right side). Anyway, I spent the weekend doped up on muscle relaxers and as of Tuesday my back feels great.

The problem is, now the tendon behind my knee on the outside of my leg (don't know the name) feels 'tight' for lack of a better word. If I stretch it out it feels somewhat better for the rest of the day but then as soon as I sleep it goes back to bothering me again.

It's painful to take a full stride, but walking up stairs actually feels good. Doesn't bother me at all even taking 2 steps at a time.

Anyone experience this or have any clue what the deal may be/a fix for it?
I did the same thing a few years back to find out I sprained my SI joint (sacral illiac joint) and have had to really focus on strengthening my gluteus medius and minimus ever since to keep it in check.

The band on the outside of the leg is the IT Band and it is a problem for a lot of people. If you bend your knee and see your knee cap pointing slightly out to the side then, yes it is tight. The best stretch for it is with using a foam roller, a large cylindrical tube of dense foam. When you find one, lie on your side on top of it and roll your leg along from your knee to hip. First it is very painful but releases quite quickly if you do it often.

I feel your pain.
Strengthen Gluteus min/medius
Stretch out IT band

Jen
Interesting. I set up a chriopractor appointment a week ago thinking it might have been an alignment issue. I went today and he said that it is possibly a pinched nerve after taking a few xrays. However, when he stretched me out a bit that seemed to help.

Doing heavy lifting (espeically deadlifting) I doubt that I have a weakness in my glutes, but do you think that I could have a similar effect from having overstregthened glutes/hamstrings in relevance to my quads?

I think we have a few foam rollers up here where I work so I will probably try to stretch it out a little awhile I am here.

Thanks for the quick response.

Kyle
Well firstly, most people think of their glutes as their nice butt, but that is not so much the case. The gluteus medius and minimus are on the side of our hips and a relatively quite small. To trengthen them most people don't know how to work them out, you can by doing such things as sidel leg raise, side leg ovals, and bent knee side leg clam shell movements.

Secondly, having a miss alighnment of the hips can definately put us out of whack so that is an issue. Regarding to strong glutes/hamstirngs, not usually but it is more likely to TIGHT hamstrings and glutes. Stretch them out A LOT, only when the body is warm and don't over stretch. I am sure you are familiar with stretches.

Deadlifts are a prime causer of pain in the back if done incorrectly. When doing deadlifts be absolutely sure (do so you can look in a mirror) you have an arch in the back. If the back rounds out at all then the back helps pull you up and well....pain later. Keep your knees a little bent when doing them or even try somethng else for a while until you can heal. What about lying hamstring curl with a ball using only one leg, that can be difficult using only one leg, until you heal.

Again, remember stretch stretch stretch the hamstrings especially.

Jen
Also look into Sciatica and ask your doctor, that is a possible problem also.
Reducing Your Risk for Dementia Thr...
1 hr ago by gymdandee
mishymoshymarcy commented on oral presentation
Nighthawk61 commented on oral presentation
Achieve your weight goals
Exercise Tracker
Make exercise part of your routine