Exercise & Fitness Community
Umbilical hernia
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Umbilical hernia

Hi, I am 38, fit and regulary exercise. I have just noticed I have a small hernia right in my belly button which has turned it from an inny to an outy. I am able to push the hernia in and I can feel the 'Stuff' popping back in side. Over a short time or with a little abdominal pressure it pops back out.

I have been to the doctors and he has said that there is nothing to worry about, he does not think i need surgery but I should lay off the gym. I am really unhappy with this but he, in not so many words said that this was tuff.

Could someone qualified (i.e. not just an opionion please.) tell me what my options are.

1) Are there any weight training exercises I can still do or any that I should definatly stay away from?
2) Can I use a truss or a belt during weight training?
3) Is a cross training machine OK?
4) Could surgey put me back in the Gym full time?
5) I have read about people haveing a mesh inserted instead of sutures, could this be a better way to go?
Is there any other advice you can offer?

Thanks to the qualified people who take the time to comment on these forums, I know you dont have to.

Ian (Sad and desperate)