Exercise & Fitness Community
Umbilical hernia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Umbilical hernia

Hi, I am 38, fit and regulary exercise. I have just noticed I have a small hernia right in my belly button which has turned it from an inny to an outy. I am able to push the hernia in and I can feel the 'Stuff' popping back in side. Over a short time or with a little abdominal pressure it pops back out.

I have been to the doctors and he has said that there is nothing to worry about, he does not think i need surgery but I should lay off the gym. I am really unhappy with this but he, in not so many words said that this was tuff.

Could someone qualified (i.e. not just an opionion please.) tell me what my options are.

1) Are there any weight training exercises I can still do or any that I should definatly stay away from?
2) Can I use a truss or a belt during weight training?
3) Is a cross training machine OK?
4) Could surgey put me back in the Gym full time?
5) I have read about people haveing a mesh inserted instead of sutures, could this be a better way to go?
Is there any other advice you can offer?

Thanks to the qualified people who take the time to comment on these forums, I know you dont have to.

Ian (Sad and desperate)
Was the doctor a GP a surgeon? My opinion is to have surgery! If at all possible NOT to have mesh!! Avoid any activity that increases pressure in your abdomen!! What you have is your intestines protruding through the muscles of your abdominal wall. It's possible that your intestine can twist and then you would need emergency surgery. Avoid lifting weights!! You can usually go about your normal workout routine. "Can I use a truss or a belt during weight training" NO!!!! "cross training machine" Yes as long as you're not putting
pressure in your abdomen!!