Exercise & Fitness Community
Use metamucil for constipation and weight loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

When I take metamucil it gives me gas  or any type of broccli or cauliflower , bad gas , with just one dose a day, and yes I havent lost weight  either.***@****
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Psyllium husk, the dietary fiber in Metamucil is a source of both soluble and insoluble fiber, used for regularity benefits.

You should do cardio or other forms of exercise to lose weight.

Dietary food products like legumes, beans, cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage will give you flatulence. Limit the intake or take these only during dinner time so that the digestion is complete by the time you wake up.

Take care!
  You could try using beano (baking soda in cooking water can also help) when cooking high fiber foods. As your body gets used to digesting fiber the problems with gas should decrease to the point of being almost non existent. I enjoy high fiber diets because I actually love the taste of fiber rich foods such as, whole wheats/bran/fruits/veggies, making them easy for me to stick to, plus they keep you feeling full for longer. I never have a problem with fiber related gas because I am used to so much fiber in my diet. Even when I fall off the wagon and am not eating as healthy as I should be, I still eat plenty of high fiber foods because I enjoy them. Although fiber rich diets are extremely beneficial, taking Metamucil (unless you are doing it for regularity) is similar to using laxatives to lose weight. Not really very healthy.

Also, although somewhat unrelated, I find high fiber diets combined with high protein diets are very successful especially if you are doing any kind of resistance training.