Water on Ankles
In recent doctor's office visit it was noticed my ankles were "swollon".  The physician pushed on the skin and it remained remained "indented" and she said I was retaining water around my ankles.  I am 75, exercise regularly, 5-9 and overweight.  I take heart medication (Amiorarone 200 mg) and blood pressure medication.  My question is why are my ankles retaining water.  The doctor has changed blood pressure medication to include a kind of water pill that is included in the new blood pressure medication.  What is causing the swelling in my ankles.  Many thanks, Eugruss in Kentucky.  
Hello!

Your veins are not able to pump blood, this is related to age, obesity, heart problems and increase in blood pressure or any lymphatic obstruction.

Your doctor is using a water pill or a diuretic this will aid in decreasing the swelling. The swelling is also called as edema.  Change in anti hypertensive medications also help in decreasing the swelling.

I would suggest you to keep your legs elevated on a pillow when you are sleeping avoid standing for long hours, exercise at your ankle joint while sitting and sleeping which will aid venous drainage.

Take care!
Many thanks for your response regarding water around the ankles as I did not understand what was happening and my physician did not explain.  I appreciate your time and effort in answering my question.