Exercise & Fitness Community
Weight Lifting and Wrist Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Weight Lifting and Wrist Pain

Over the last 2 months I have been experiencing pain in my right wrist.  It is particularly noticable when I am doing exercises like the bench press or pushups.  I have been lifting weights for a long time, and this is the first time I have ever had a problem like this.  It is frustrating because I am unable to push myself in the weight room- Currently I am benching numbers far below what I am capable of because I am trying to take it easy on my wrist.
This issue also concerns me because i play basketball and golf, and having fluid wrist movement is essential in both these games.
Have you ever heard a problem like this before?  Are there any remedies other than quitting my weightlifting routine?
I would take a break from the heavy lifting... sounds like you sprained your wrist...

I've done that before... usually a week of light weights will do the trick... it's good to take a break from heavy lifting once in a while anyway to give your all your joints a rest...

Hope you're feeling better soon.

E
Thanks for the feedback.
I have been doing some really light lifting lately-  however, even doing pushups hurts my wrist.  
Also, I just recently started comparing my wrists and the injured one has a hard lump under the skin.  Is this a symptom of a sprained wrist or is this more serious?  
Anyways, I will try taking some time off until I receive your next comment.
Thanks again
Alright i have been thinking of getting these wrist weight so i can move faster,punch harder and improve my martial art techniques. Also i want to stabilize my Tai Chi so is it a good idea to keep the wrist weights (5lb each) on for a very long time as if for days.
I have been noticing the same kind of pain in my wrists.  i was wondering if you found anything that works.  I have been wearing a brace, icing, heating,stretching, and resting.  nothing seems to work.  Thanks
adam
adam
i have been working out for a long time and last week i was benching my max and then about 2 days aftter my wrist and forearms started to hurts and now i cant even pick anything up with it becuase it hurts. how long would u have to rest it for and what can this be?
Hi All-

I have two different wrist issues: left wrist from bench press and right from barbell curls. All of my research has shown this:

1. Do wrist excerists to built their strength, including phys therapy
2. Wear wrist support
3. Pay close attention to your form. Wrists should never be asked to bend in some ways (such as barbell curls; EX bar or DB are better). Also, wrist must remain straight during bench press, any angle in the wrist means the weight is put on the joint, not on the muscle. That results in injury.

Hope that helps someone.
You probably have a carpal bone dislocation. This explains the pain and the lump. It's likely your lunate bone. Go see a chiropractor or, better yet, an osteopath.