What are safe effective work outs for those with spinal stenosis and leg weakness?
Hello I have a gym membership but can't afford personal trainers.
Don't do repetitive impact exercises, including jogging and sports like tennis, basketball and football. When you run or jog, the impact is absorbed all the way up to your lower back, that can hurt the spinal canal.
Cardio is good!  Those that involve smooth motion and are low impact. Good exercises are swimming, exercising on an elliptical trainer and walking on the tread mill. The bent-forward position on a bicycle opens up the spinal canal, temporarily helping to reduce the pressure on your spinal nerves. Try the following, Lie on your back with your feet flat on the floor. Lift your legs toward your torso, placing your hands in the crook of your knees. Pull the knees toward your chest, feeling the stretch in your lower back hold this position for 15 to 30 seconds, then release the stretch. Repeat two times. Also try this lie on your back with your feet flat on the floor. Straighten your arms on the floor with your palms facing down. Slowly lift your right leg off the ground, lifting three to four inches off the floor. As you lower your right leg, lift your left leg. March in this position for 30 seconds, working your back muscles as you continue to exercise. Rest for 30 seconds, then repeat the exercise. Stop when you have performed four full sets.  If you go over to the smith machine at the gym and place the bar high and then grab the bar and slowly walk forward so you'er adding more of your weight on your arms that will stretch your back. I have an inversion table that is good for stretching
Gym, does the inversion table help the cervical spine or just the lower back?
I would think very little
Thank you for the advice. It sounds very practical. I can assume bar squats dead lifts and power cleans are off the menu.
Also because of claudication and radiculopathy I have greatly reduced activity stamina. Unable to crank HR up to therapeutic rate. Any advice?
Gym is a better guide for this than I am, but the one thing I do know is having stenosis doesn't necessarily mean anything.  It might in your case, but in most cases it really doesn't cause the pain people feel -- that's usually muscular.  You sound like you have some definite structural problems, and I know that's affected my neck big time, but still, much of it is still muscular.  It might not be as confining as you fear, though it does mean you must take the care you've already stated and Gym has stated that somebody without the problem might not.  Here's another thing I learned in my travels through back and neck problems -- everyone as they age will show some stenosis, some arthritis, some disc problems, but most don't hurt because of that, they hurt for other reasons.  
My Neurosurgeon told me that you can go your entire life and have very minor problems. On the other hand it could effect your bowls, bladder, and eventually be confined to a wheel chair.
My brother needed surgery because of pain and his gate changed and his feet started to get some numbness.
I see my Neurologist every year and go through a few tests.
Pax. my wife reminded me that our former DO Dr. had a device that worked like this one.
https://www.braceshop.com/product/saunders-cervical-traction-attachment

I saw your PM and I did look it up.  It looks interesting, but I think I'd need to see someone for traction first -- I've never done that.  At least that's what the website recommends for the product.  But the accompanying info is very thorough.  Thanks for the heads up.  As for the problems of structure, that's what both the physiatrist and the orthopedic back specialist told me -- they can never tell if your pain is really caused by the structural problem or not and usually it isn't.  But when it is, it needs attention, just as your neurologist said.  For that reason, they are very cautious about surgery, because it seldom works and causes a lot of permanent pain in many people -- along with cancer back surgeries are the main reason for the opioid problem.  But it's also sometimes the only thing that will work.  Which just goes to show, once you need a doctor you're in for a mystery tour without the magic.
My brother is like a new man! He said no problems at all. I think he had it done about a year ago.