What are the causes of Big calves?
Hi, I am a 21 years old woman, 5'7, 138 lbs. My calves are very disproportionately bigger (estimatedly 38-40 cms) than the other of my body parts.

What are the causes of fat calves? Are there any health risks I should be aware of?
It is extremely distressing that I cannot wear anything that I like as I have been wearing black long pants ever since I was 12.
Besides, none of my family has huge calves so I'm pretty sure it's not genetic.

My legs also tended to cramp a lot while I was sleeping when I was around the age of 12-18, now they don't anymore. I am currently so desperately seeking for help online.

Thank you so much for anyone who's taking their precious time to read and answer my question. Your help is very much appreciated, thank you!
Hi!  So, are you a runner or anything?  Any physical activities over the years that have built up the calves?  Is it just your calves or your ankles too?  Some women just have this. How they were made.  You could begin doing toning exercises, lose a bit of weight overall (not sure what the ideal weight is for 5 foot 8.  Build up your quads so your calves seem more in proportion or best . . . just say forget about it.  I used to feel like my ankles were largish for the rest of me.  I was super into working out and was very VERY thin.  And yet, my ankles and calves looked large.  No idea why.  As I've gotten older, I swear, they seem more normal.  Could be because I'm like whatever at this point in my life but I've tried to work out, up and down weight wise depending on what is going on in my life and how motivated I am to keep working out and eating right, etc.  And I do feel better about my leg appearance overall when I am actively doing an exercise program.  good luck
You say you have big calves but that doesn't necessarily mean "fat" calves.  It could be your natural shape or it could be muscle depending on what kind of activities you've done in your life, such as bicycling a lot or running or playing soccer, all of which will give you more muscular calves.  Having "fat" calves would be an unusual place to have fat, but if you do have too much fat depositing in that area, you could work on it by working on exercise that affects that area and by losing weight everywhere, since you really can't lose weight through diet just in one place, it has to come off everywhere you have too much fat.
By the way, the cramping sounds like a lack of proper hydration or an electrolyte deficiency.
Hi Brillianaire. I had a similar problem and it got to the point where my other foot was compensating for the other. So I went to an orthotics specialist. It was the best decision I made. After getting the shoe inserts, I have balance and reestablished form. Make an appointment with one and you'll see. Hope that helps.