Exercise & Fitness Community
What kind of Yoga is right for me ?

Our Exercise & Fitness community to help you take charge of your health. Ask a question, join a conversation, get tips: fitness, nutrition, and management tools / trackers.

What kind of Yoga is right for me ?

Hello

I'm interested in starting to take some yoga classes but I'm nto sure which type of yoga is right for me. I injured my knee running about three weeks ago; it's simply an overuse injury and a patellar inflammation. I can do most things except for run (taking a break to make sure I don't injure it more), and cycling also causes pain after awhile but it's nothing unbearable. I'm also an avid rock climber and have been climbing more since my overuse injury. I would run up to 30 miles per week. I also lift weights around 2 times a week and do ab routines around 3 times a week. I'm a very active person who likes a good workout, which made me at first attracted to power yoga. However, after reading up on it it seems that you have to have some amount of yoga knowledge before you go into asthanga. I've never done yoga so I have 0 knowledge. Basically, I'm looking for a class that will provide a work out but also work on flexibility because as a runner and climber I'm very tense. I also would be interested in exploring the mental/spiritual aspect of yoga, but again I do want a fast paced type of yoga. Any suggestions? Thanks for any responses!
Tags: yoga, exercise/yoga, power yoga, asthanga, type of yoga
I've only really done the Biggest loser Yoga DVD but one thing I noticed, watching some of the people who were in the work out video who were much more capable at yoga than I, they were sweating and shaking. Even with a beginning DVD, the people who were working out in the video (some of the former winners of the Biggest Loser and well versed in Yoga) were still getting a good workout. Being stronger, more agile and fit makes you be able to push harder in yoga.

So I suggest a beginning class- it would help show you the basics and teach you how to do it right. While you may be more fit than others in the class, you're going to be using your muscles differently. And really when it comes down it it, it's about controlling your muscles in a specific way and using your own strength and weight.

As far as the spiritual aspects of yoga go, I'm far less familiar with it. But I think you might achieve the same effect by looking into Buddhist meditations. You can skip the religious aspects and intense if you want, the meditation itself has a lot of merit. (Seriously, I was raised Mormon and spent college years going to a nondenominational Christan church- Buddhist meditation is still where it's at. And doing it without the religious aspects still has a TON of good.) You may have to use your googling skills to find a beginning mediation class, tape, dvd, etc. All you really need is to block out half an hour to an hour in the day and devote it to calmness.
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank commented on Consider ALL the Opti...
KeeLolo commented on photo
Risa615 commented on photo
Achieve your weight goals
Exercise Tracker
Make exercise part of your routine