Exercise & Fitness Community
Why am I so exhausted?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Why am I so exhausted?

I´m a 23-year-old student living in Denmark. For the past few years I have exercised on occasion, for health reasons. Now, I don´t know if this matters, but I had an eating disorder when I was 15, a combination of anorexia and bulimia. Since then I gained a lot of weight. Every now and then, the "dark thoughts" come back and I either binge and purge or reduce my calorie-intake to 700-800 calories a day. Last month it once again came back to haunt me and I decided to do something a little more healthy, or so I thought. For the past three weeks I have been exercising every day for about an hour and a half. In the beginning that was all I did, but then I felt more and more guilty, whenever I ate, so I changed my eating-habits as well. Not as extreme as I used to, with a lot of vitamins and proteins every day, but still a lot less, then I used to eat. Now, my question is this: Although I exercise and eat (more or less) healthy, I haven´t lost as much weight, as I expected, on top of that, I am getting more and more exhausted every day. I am so tired all the time. The past few days I have taken some painkillers (Tramadol) after I got home from the gym, because it hurts everywhere. Why am I not getting any better?  
Hi there!

If you are aiming at losing weight, it is important to calculate your current BMI and the target BMI. The target BMI should be in a healthy range. Aside indulging in moderate amounts of physical exercise it is also essential to maintain a healthy diet plan. A healthy diet should consist of adequate amounts of carbohydrates, proteins, fat and plenty of fruits and vegetables to supply vitamins and minerals. The calorie requirement should be adjusted for ones physical activities as well. Do not exercise more than your body can handle or more than the calorie you have supplied yourself with. It is important to know that less than adequate calorie intake would also cause weight gain, due to the stress hormones kicking in. Start with a healthy breakfast, moderate lunch and light dinner. Also keep a track of calorie intake and your work out. It would normally take a few weeks/ months to observe noticeable changes. With gradual consistent efforts, you should be able to lose weight as desired in a healthy way.
Hope this helps.

Take care!