Exercise & Fitness Community
Working Out, Eating Right, Gaining Weight

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Hi All!

I was reading previous questions on here about the same thing.  But the person who posted the question was actually underweight according to their BMI.  And personally anyone above 5'3" and below 115 needs to not lose any weight.  So I felt like the answer was not relevant to me.

I am 24 yrs old and have recently lost about 40 lbs (200lbs down to 160lbs) - it was a slow weight loss just done by generally eating healthier.  I really wasn't active.  Now I am in a weight loss completion at work and have decided to step it up and start working out.  I work out lightly on lunch for 20 minutes and then go home and every other day do 30 minutes of cardio and about 20 minutes of strength training.  I have a BS in Public Health and understand the general idea of weight loss.  But ever since starting to work out the scale will NOT budge.  In fact I am gaining weight.

The reason I am asking for your help is because in the previous question, the person didn't have weight to lose. I am 5'10" and 160 - which I know it a health BMI, but I also know I have some more to lose.  

Can anyone help me out as to why I am gaining weight?  And before I get 100 replies of "muscle weighs more than fat" - I know this, so how do I work out and avoid building muscle?  

Thank you for any advice you may have!
This is the fastest way to lose fat and build muscle in the body. Peak 8 actually stimulates the growth hormone in the body. I encourage you to visit Dr Mercola’s site to learn more about Peak 8 fitness because I personally feel that it is one of the best ways to exercise, especially considering the speed at which you can lose fat and build muscle.

I highly recommend you read this article and watch the videos on the page. It will give you all the information you need to know about Peak 8 – Flood Your Body With This “Youth Hormone” In Just 20 Minutes

What you eat after Peak 8 training does matter

It’s recommended that you do not eat sugar or carbohydrate for 2 hours after the Peak 8 exercise because these foods can impact the release of the growth hormone in the body.  The link is below
http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2010/11/13/phil-campbell-on-peak-8-exercises.aspx

Figure your heart rate by this formula
The Karvonen Formula is a mathematical formula that helps you determine your target heart rate zone. The formula involves using your maximum heart rate (MHR) minus your age to come up with a target heart rate range (which is a percentage of your MHR). Staying within this range will help you work most effectively during your cardio workouts.

an example of the Karvonen formula for a 23 year old person with a resting heart rate of 65 beats per minute (*to get your resting heart rate, take your pulse for one full minute when you first wake up in the morning or after you've resting for a while). This formula also includes an updated calculation of maximum heart rate (the previous formula was 220 - age, which has now been shown to be inaccurate):

206.9 - (0.67 x 23 (age)) = 191
191 - 65 (resting heart rate) = 126
126 * 65% (low end of heart rate zone) OR 85% (high end) = 82 OR 107
82 + 65 (resting heart rate) = 147
107 + 65 (rhr) = 172
The target heart rate zone for this person would be 147 to 172

First thing in the morning before you get out of bed have a clock with a second hand and check your resting heart rate then figure your rate by the
Karvonen Formula above.
.
You burn 30 percent more fat from doing cardio after a weights session as opposed to cardio on its own.
.