Exercise & Fitness Community
best exercise after broken hip

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

best exercise after broken hip

I was in an accident in January and broke my right hip. Any suggestions about what kind of exercise is best now? I've been walking.
One of the first exercises that a physician or therapist will likely have a hip fracture patient begin with is performing gluteal sets. The gluteal muscles refer to your buttocks muscles, which provide stability around the hip joint. By beginning to contract these muscles early after surgery, patients will improve the strength and stability around the recently repaired fracture site. The exercise is performed lying in bed by simply squeezing your buttocks muscles tightly together for five seconds and then relaxing. Repeat this exercise 10 times.
Another common exercise often performed after surgery to repair a fractured hip, is a quadriceps set. This exercise is also performed while lying flat in bed and is done by simply tightening the front thigh muscles of your operated leg, while pressing the back of your knee down into the bed. Hold the tightening for five seconds before relaxing, and repeat 10 times.
When you are able to perform a strong quadriceps set, begin attempting a straight leg raise. A straight leg raise is initiated by performing a quadriceps set with the injured leg but then progressing to lifting the entire straightened leg 12 to 18 inches off the bed. This exercise strengthens the hip flexors muscle group and is important in the rehabilitation process after a hip fracture surgery. Regaining the strength of this muscle group will allow you to begin performing routine daily tasks, such as getting in and out of bed.
Before doing anything TALK TO YOUR DR. FIRST!!!