Exercise & Fitness Community
burning in lungs when exercising

Our Exercise & Fitness community to help you take charge of your health. Ask a question, join a conversation, get tips: fitness, nutrition, and management tools / trackers.

burning in lungs when exercising

I get a burning sensation when I exercise, I know I'm out of shape. How long does it take for your lungs to get back and shape to where I don't get that sensation or get so winded when I work out? Any advice would be helpful, I really want to get in shape but being out of breath makes it hard to keep it up.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

I would suggest you to practice breathing exercises and if possible some ( Pranayam or yoga).

Even swimming is good to practice breathing and go ahead with cardio initially keeping your goal in a progressive approach in a systemized way. Drink lots of water and avoid all allergens and also check if you are on any medications for some side effects.

Take care!
i have the same problem, but mines have been this way since i was a child. i could never run more then a block and if i push myself to do so i would be in crying pain, cant breathe, lungs feeling like there are on fire and my hands start to shake. i am now 30 yrs old same problem. i still try to push myself but it doesnt help. went to the track the 1st few days i walked it, next few days i power walked, then i went to jugging that didnt help cause i cant do that for pretty long either. never went to really get it checked cause im afraid to. i dont really want to hear it if its bad...
@ nelly1981, you should really get that checked out. I hear you on not wanting to go to the Doc, I have same problem. Maybe all we need is an inhaler to help. My burning lungs come and go....I'm in shape but even so I still find myself short of breath when running. It's frustrating because I keep believing I'm just being a wimp and not pushing myself hard enough. I live in higher elevation for the most part, and I so want to train for a marathon, but am scared I'll punk out due to my breathing. I'm sure you'd agree when I say it makes the idea of exercise not fun, which is sad.
Anyway good luck and keep me posted?

@ Dr Vinod: I find it really hard to relax with breathing exercises. I can't just sit there and quiet myself and focus on breaths. What do you recommend...how long of breathing practice sessions should one have? What do they entail? (PS I'm not flexible enough for yoga)
Infowars commented on The Turbinates: What ...
mishymoshymarcy commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
KeeLolo commented on laureninlove's status
Achieve your weight goals
Exercise Tracker
Make exercise part of your routine