clicking sounds in chest!!!
hi - i'm a 22yr old female and i just wondered if anyone out there has any idea to why i get (which i can only describe as..) clicking noises when i take a deep breath. It doesnt happen all the time, but when it does its very uncomfortable - i've had it now for about 7yrs, and it has got worse as i've aged. I did go to the docs when it started years ago, an got sent for xray but everything seemed fine, and the doc couldnt tell me why - so i got discharged and carried on with it, but it has got worse - and the clicking noises louder!! anyone know what this is?? - Thank you - Steph
Hi , I'm a 22 year old female and I have a partially similar problem. When I have been sat in a certain position for a length of time and I want to move I get a surge of pain in the sturnum which is relieved very quickly by pushing my chest forward which makes the (sometimes very loud!) cracking noise. The pain doesn't bother me particularly but I get a bit scared that something is going to happen when I crack it. If it isn't a sign of anything serious and I'm not doing myself any damage then I can definitely live with it. Those people who have been to the docs about it - is it worth going?
wholly! its good to know there are so many others out there with this same problem. I have had this for years now and the doctor has just brushed me off saying you cant click your chest!!!! haha. he said it must be the spine clicking but we all know that it is our sternum!! haha.
sounds like no one has had any luck figuring this one out but hey, it cant be to serious. we are all in good health still, just blimn hurts sometimes eh. I really hate it when you just cant get that click out!!! painful
Hey !
I don't know if anyone has the same problems that I do, but I thought I could share my own experience when it comes to chest pains that are similiar to this.
These "chest pains" started randomly one night when I tried to sleep. I always sleep laying on one of the sides. It's a clicking sound, that people that are 2 metres away from me can hear. It's either a squishing, cracking och clicking sound. I went to a doctor to see what it was, he was stunned by this, since he could also hear it clearly, without any instruments. While I was there, I made a couple of tests, blood pressure and so on. They couldnt find anything wrong with me, except the loud sound that is. They did also send the "report" to some heart specialists, which never heard of this problem before. However, the sound usually appears when lay on the left side while having my hands between my knees, or when I support the head with one arm (hand). It sometimes hurt, sometimes dont, sometimes more that other and so on. It also hurts sometimes when I take a deep breath, or when I blow out all of the air in my lungs. I can also hear this sound when I'm walking in stairs and such. This really confuses me, since no one seem to know what it may be, or how to cure it. If any of you have any tips that you may seem helpful for me, please throw me an email at ***@**** or write a reply here. Because this really worries me. Thanks ! / Robert, 17 male.
Hey !
I GOT TABLETS FROM INDIA AND THEY DID HELP ME MUCH MORE THAN ANY OTHER TABLETS:  THE NAMES OF THE GRAET PILLS ARE:   VOLFLAM PLUS,  DEXONA,  MERCK
I ALSO suffer from PAIN AND CRACKING IN THE CENTER OF THE CHEST.
IT IS ANNOYING ILNESS, chronic

MANI POLAND UK
Wow long thread... thought I would share my story with this. I have had the sternum click for a few years now and I'm 26. A previous comment mentioned the xiphoid, but my click originates in what seems to be called the sternal angle. However the pain I get seems to not be in the area of the click, but in the parts attached to the sternum and even up higher by the collar bone and towards my shoulders. Like other people have said I can reproduce the pain by pushing my chest and shoulders inwards and putting my arms out in front of me. The pain came on a few months ago and has given me some quite bad anxiety, because I had no idea what it was. I went to the GP and she gave me stomach pills and a referral to a cardiologist. The stomach pills did nothing, and the cardiologists did a stress ECG and found nothing but a fast heart rate, probably due to anxiety. Im pretty sure it comes down to my lifestyle.
* I have very bad posture as I work hunched over on a computer all day and then at home for fun too.
* I smoke heavily.
* I exercise twice a week on average, I do 10km runs easily and light to medium weights.
* my chest is stronger than my back
* I am 6'0 (182cm) and have a lean build with wide shoulders.

I have found correcting posture helps to some degree
Stephie,

I have had the same symptons for awhile now and finally went to the doctor for it.  The person who did my Echo test said I may have a problem with my valve but I am waiting for the results.  It's frustrating because I know how it feels and the doctors look at me like I am crazy.  I just hope they figure it out!
Had the same problem myself for a couple of years.
Seems to flare up with exercise at gym, particularly chest exercises.

i believe its literally tendinitis of the chest.

My clicking has been so loud my partner could hear it, and it hurts lying on the side.

Ive found that rest helps (gym),  glucosamine tablets  and anti inflammatory tabs.

Heres hoping OJ123 is correct and we will out grow it (im 42).
I also have the same problem, when I take a deep breath, am lying down, or when I press on both inner sides of my rib cage its a click and/or popping sensation...it doesnt hurt just very annoying maybe its just me I feel like i can't eat as much at one time then I used to because of this..any info on this would be helpful and much appreciated../i am also a male,22 years of age and in good physical condition..thanks
I'm 17 years old, I read these posts on this thread and It makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one. I truly can't live with this. I can't sleep as much as I used to.  I have had chest xrays and EKG tests and its all normal, but I can hear the snapping, I can feel it. It hurts so bad. It happens when I am sitting and lying down.  It has been happening the last 3 months and is getting worse and worse.

Thank you for posting this thread, I hope there is some solution to this. Going to cardiologist in a couple weeks.
                                                                     -Mitch G.
wow massive thread, that has answered a load of q's, cheers folks. It seems that chrisbristol et al and i have the same, sleeping on a fairly hard matress - wondered if a softer one may help. Clicking, especially when i breath in deepely. Glad it is a 'common' complaint!!
thanks again all
Hello everyone. I am 30 years old and my chest has been clicking since I was about 16. The reason mine is, is because I started lifting weights when I was about 14 and I was in the gym doing dumbell flys, I know, a bit young!! to late now!! anyway I lifted too heavy being a bit of a plank!! I took the dumbells down and snap, my sturnum made 1 allmighty click and since then I have had the sturnum problem, had x rays and all sorts no joy.
So I do think this problem is caused by a strain to the chest centre, not the end of the world, i'm still lifting weights now, very heavy and also pushing my chest in to click it is a habbit that I would be lost without!! it still gets painfull but manageable, just hope if I have heart attack I can tell the difference!!!!!!!  
Jon Jon.
I have had this issue for a year and a half now... one night I was just laying down on my side and I woke up to that same gross popping sound that everyone here is talking about. It hurt so bad it was like it knocked the air out of me. Since then almost every night I have had the painful popping and clicking.  I sleep on a sleep by number, Tried both soft and firm, even added 4 inches of memory foam. That did nothing.  I know that I am hyper mobile with all of my joints and my doctors haven't even bothered to do x rays but they just said that it was probably due to that.  Knowing that so many other people have this issue makes me think otherwise.  I have never had any trauma to my chest, I do not lift weights. This simply happened in my sleep.   Last week I went on a tilt table for my back, and the noise that my chest made was disgusting!  It was this nasty squishing sound like my muscles turned to liquid. Since then my ribs almost feel like they are floating... I do not really recommend going on to any traction device if you are having this issue.
I have the same thing, but I think it's just starting. I have been getting small clicks with a little discomfort for a couple of months when I sneeze, it is always the same rib.
About 15 minutes ago I sneezed and it popped louder and actually hurt, a lot, it hasn't been constant but the pain isn't going away and a visible red patch (like a slap) has formed on my sternum.
I am 18 and have had joint problems for a long time and clicking all my life but never as strange as this. I have taken a few wrestling spear tackles (real wrestling not messing around WWE style) to this area but I stopped training a few months ago now.
This has coincided with my hip getting painful, it has been cracking for years but started being painful around the same time as the rib. I have been to doctors about my joints before because I have very loose shoulders, stiff hips and pretty much all my joints crack. They say I don't have arthritis and kept passing me around to specialists, and I haven't heard back from the last one.
I have the same thing. My rib would pop or click when I would take deep breaths or lay on my stomach. My doctor said it was caused by poor posture. One of the ways to help this is to 1. Stand up straight and 2. Take a tennis ball, lay on your back and place it under you (aprox. Under the rib that pops). Lay there with it under you for 5 minutes a day and it really seems to help!
So every time I've looked up any information regarding this popping sensation it's always been the same result: tons of people with the same complaint and tons of theories about why it's happening, many of them perhaps right, but none applicable to my case, or so I believe.  I guess I'll start with listing all the other typical info I've seen.  It's gotten worse over the years, I've gotten X rays a couple times and there's "nothing wrong" (talk about a lie) and I grow nervous that something I did in the past is cutting my life short. Guess I'm getting what was coming.  I seem to recall the general time period during which it occurred and I had been smoking tobacco out of a hookah quite often (an hour a day for a week straight) and snorted some smarties candy within a week of it's occurrence. Both of these contain sugar in them which someone I spoke with proposed to be extremely difficult to remove from the lungs and could be potentially quite damaging to them.  Back when I first began experiencing this I was convinced my lung had partially collapsed,however I think I would be suffering more if that were the case. Since then the popping has increased an insane amount to an uncountable number each day. I seem to think though that when I exercise more that it goes down as well as the severity of the pop, which relieves less but the tension is not as great in the first place.  Anywho, I figured the best way for us to eventually find out what is wrong with us is not just a submitting of our symptoms, which is the easiest part, but also a proposal of how we feel we developed this... bizarre trait.  Could be heredity influenced but I'm sure some things we exposed ourselves to (ie smoke or physical trauma) was probably what finally caused it.  I have asthma as well if that is somehow related, which it very well could be and I do believe it is. If you're really searching for what's wrong take that extra step. If listing symptoms could have solved it, the "doctors" would have helped us by now.
I have the same slim, tall build with a very wide shoulder span. Every time i try to breath in deep, i feel as if i cannot fill my lungs all the way up with air. When i breath in deep, i feel a popping type of noise right around the lower left area of my sternum. Also, when i breath in deep, i feel as if a sticky substance is releasing and then sticking again whenever i release the air.
Another thing, whenever i begin to yawn, i feel the popping sound and i can never finish my yawns anymore.

I have had an experience where i felt as if I was having a heart attack, (I wasnt) and it does trigger some severe anxiety wich causes the pain to worsen. I am very cocerned that I may have a lung disease . please comment if you have any similar experiences.
I have asthma so I am used togetting lung infections but u recently had one that caused extreme fluid in my lungs and therefore caused violent coughs...I feel like u pulled something loose in my chest...I hear the clicking too followed by extreme
E shooting pain...any similarities???
I have the same problem...my chest pops occasionally and i need to find the answer. is there a good technique for cracking your chest. it feels great.
wow im going through the same thing and i have to admit i woulnd wish it on anyone.!!.......ive had it for about 5 months now and havent had any luck finding a solution( ive only gone two the doctor twice since this incident btw, but im planning on going again soon), although i do feel does affects me somewhat physically most of the damage is on a mental level not knowing how severe it.................................I THINK WE SHOULD ALL MENTION ANY UNORDINARY INCIDENT'S THAT OCCURED AROUND THE TIME IT BEGAN TO SEE IF CAN NARROW DOWN THE CAUSE!.........i use to work out alot(mostly hard cardio workout with some weight lifting, im male and 22 btw)...i recall the day it happend.
It was summer time, and we had a heat wave of above 100 degrees here in southern california which lasted for about 3 days! Ofcourse foolishly and uneducated about the dangers i continued my workouts, i think i may have gotten dehydrated( not sure) but by the third day i recall having so much trouble trying to get a full deep breath. After about two weeks it was so unbearable that i just had to go see a doctor,they took an x-ray of my lungs which came out normal, aswell as oxygen level which came out normal too ,so they prescribed some stress reducing medicine aswell as medication for inflammations. After about two weeks of taking the medication all the symptoms subsided at that point i stopped taking the medicine even though i still had some left, well i had trouble taking deep breaths again about a week later. Fast forward about two months, i had gotten hired for a new job which required me to work in temperature which was about 45 degrees for about 10 hours a day. I was still having trouble taking deep breaths but i still wasnt dealing with any popping/cracking sound near the sternum untill about two weeks later, so long story short i think that noise may be the result of extreme cold temperature, at least for me. I havent used that medicine that initially cured me for that one week because if financial reason but i do plan on going back to it very soon!

anyways here are some tips that have helped me out substantially!!!

burping!(  even if u dont feel like it , try burping ...im not sure why but ireally helps)

also try breathing through ure nose more often than ure mouth...personally when i cant take that deep breath through my mouth it sorta sets me into that panic/anxiety mode! try burping and and then inhale air steadily via the nose.....i noticed this helped me out alot about 3 months into this whole ordeal...

anyways i would really appreciate if u can talk about what u think cause this issue for u...have u been around extremely cold or hot temperature also any excessive workout?

i always hear some cracking noise in my chest each time i tried to swing my chest left and right. Pls can someone enlight me on what to do ?
Hi everyone

I was sitting in the back of a Renault Kangoo in March 2009, obviously not wearing a seatbelt, and I remember my dad taking a corner and then he stops SUDDENLY.  Its like I flew to the front, anyway so I was fine no real immediate pain (please don't think why didn't she just say - OH WHIPLASH- no it can't be.) Well odd enough my lower back hurt for about 2 weeks and it magically disappeared - no chiropractor needed.

How does this relate to sternum pain? well I worked for like a month after that with no pain but all of a sudden I got stressed at work and then I started to get pain in the chest area behind the sternum and when I would try to move properly and breath to see if it would go away I would hear weird popping sounds behind the sternum and clavicles area.

I hope this helped someone trace this back to mild to middle in severity whip-lash anything worse was probably already claimed for!

To date my symptoms are related to stress and only appear when I meet up with someone as tough as my old boss.  
I am experiencing similar symptoms and it seems that they srarted happening after I stopped working out. Tightness in chest in the morning as soon as I get up, the feeling of something being dislocated. I make myself crack, and get the feeling as something moved back but with pain through the muscles. Then I get a relief, even tughtness in jaw goes away and I can feel air going through my ears. But what started happening recently if I lift something around 10 pounds my heart started pounding really fast, I get dizzy, I can not breath, and I get as if anxiety/panick attacks symptoms.  Is this related to the chest pain? How can lifting heavy activate an anxiety attack?
I'm 36 and my sternum cracks almost every time I press on it (with little pressure),  I feel a small amount of discomfort after each crack. This just started a few weeks ago. I've played sports my whole life such as hockey, rugby and snowboarding (been riding for 23 years) without any major injuries to my chest. It's kind of strange this has started now??
I came here hoping to find a simple answer but I'm just as confused.
I guess it's x-ray time...

Cheers & good luck all!
i too suffer from the same thing and yes i have severe panic attacks and anxiety issues. but my clicking is more in mid back and when i lie on my right side and sometimes its a double clicking or poping. its been happening for the past 8 years with slight changes in how often it happend man its good to hear im not alone!!!!
I get a clicking too.  Only mine is left side, lower rib cage.  It only happens when I'm relaxing on the couch or laying bed, on my left side.  And its only painful when I wake in the middle of the night, unable to take a deep breath.  I DO have poor posture, slim build, with weak narrow shoulders.  I haven't had any known traumas to the area, although I do visit the gym regularly, but nothing out of the ordinary has taken place. I find it very annoying when relaxing on the couch.  Like I said, it's not painful then, but very annoying as the feeling is easily confused for gas bubbling in my stomach.  This has been going on for a little over a month now, and reading some of these posts of people living with this for years is making me nervous.  I don't have insurance, so visiting the doctor is a hard feat for me ;-(
hey , i read the part where u mention that u go to the gym regularly, i wonder. do u use any pre workout supplement?
Hi guys i have this problem too.. When i take a deep breath my ribs click in my back.. It almost pulls for a slught second then clicks. I go to chiro fortnightly for neck, back an hip problems. I find its getting way more consistant an drivingme nuts.. The pressure hurts an it feels like somethings wrong. I hve been in many car accidents and exercise 6 days a aweek.. Hmm not sure. My hubby will be hugging me in bed an i take my deep breath an my back cracks sometimes making 3-5 noises.. He can feel it on him. Hense y im looking this up now! Need answers
http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/hiatal-hernia

This clicking, could it be a Hiatal Hernia?

Sounds like some of these things occurred after lifting stuff at gym
same problem, but generally in the morning when i wake up, sometimes i can't open a bottle because the muscles in my chest is too tight, then i have to push my shoulders back, arch my back, and click, whala, the pain is gone.  

WOW! that explains exactly what I have been going through for the last 4 months. It started when I jumped into water and the impact from the jump hurt my chest. Ever since I have had pain/popping  in the area. It bothers me ever know and then when I workout my upper body or when I lie on my side for an extended time. Was yours sports related or did it just starting hurting?
Hi i am 23 yr old male and have similar problem past 3 years. Did you find any way to get rid of it. It is driving me crazy.
hi aiman_nz .. i have similar problem. Did you find any way to get rid of it.
i am in the exact same possition as you, when i stop smoking for a week or so it leaves, as soon as i smoke again ill get it after just one smoke. This leads me to believe it's nothing as sinister as i'd previously thought. My theory is it's a build up of flem or mucus that smoking could cause to be released somewhere in the lungs and it's some how sticking, or flapping or unsticking when one breathes out. This is much more what it feels like
I am a 32 year old male who has experienced the cracking in my sternum for the past 7 weeks. I broke my left collar bone playing rugby when I was 27. I went to an hour-long aerobics/weightlifting class over Christmas 2012 and my chest started cracking after that. My collar bone break was bad - malunion - and I never got surgery for it. I imagine it places some undue pressure on my sternum when I work out and that the intensity of the aerobics class was just too much. I've taken the last three weeks off at the gym and that has seemed to help, and my chest does not pop as much any more. But when it does, it sometimes starts a panic/anxiety attack that can only be relieved by IB proferen and rest. There is also a deep, brooding pain in the interchostal area where it pops when I am symptomatic. I'm chalking it up to chostocondritis. If it gets worse I may go see a doc. But even for thus of us with health insurance, it can break your budget just paying your deductible. Better safe than sorry though, so I'll probably go in.
Hi Stephie,

I am a 30 year old male.  And I have been dealing with this issue for at least 6-8 years now.  I am a very fit individual, train 3-4 times per week (weight training/Anaerobic cardio) I try to eat clean 60-70% of the time, and I don't smoke, and drink occasionally.  However I have a slight clicking in my chest when I take a deep breath in, or sometimes it catches me off guard doing something.  I hear it come up through my left ear, so it has to be referred to that lower side (I have no idea the cause)  I have had several ECG's and monitors.  And as usual it came out totally healthy and fit.  I thought that I was the only one.  Did you end up finding a diagnosis for yours ?

Thanks - Chris
Hi, I've had the same clicking chest thing.
I was jumping on the trampoline, and landed on it very badly.
Now,when I lean to the side, I have this uncomfortable feeling, and the 'clicking'  sound.
I am a 45 years old male. I have the same clicking (like finger breaking sound) in right chest after taking a long breath. this sound more strong when both hand take behind.after this sound filling good.
Hi Chris

I am having exactly the same symptons since last two years. Now from past 4 months i have stopped stretching my arms and avoid doing any click so now I feel that when i stretch my arms I am unable to reproduce that click because i cannot stretch my chest using my arms wide open because i feel pain and i feel that the two bones get stuck to each other when i strech my arms. not sure but i will go and see the doctor. are you still having the sympton ???

cheers
imran
***@****
Hi Chris

cheers
imran
All,

Glad to find this forum, I am 22 Year old male and have been doing vigorous exercise in Gym for like 6 months and just a month back while sleeping felt severe pain in my sternum area..centere of chest..bending down or streching back (even Breathing) is causing a sharp pain. But very next day a little stretch in my back and a Poping sound in back…felt everything got okay/No pain. Felt relaxed for two days and again wake up this morning same problem….and now it seems to be a regular feature everyday there is pain…waiting for poping sound...(But seems to get these rip/back pop reduced) and the pain is still there…..I feel no pain while lying down straight on back or on my chest….(“Those who exercise can relate this pain to the pain which occurs while doing Tricep Dips- Feel sharp pain in centre”).. Doctors told me to rest but this thing is not getting sorted have been resting for like 2 weeks… VERY MUCH CONFUSED…. FED UP OF PAIN….MISSING THE GYM 
To All:
I'm soooo glad I found this forum. My son is now 21 and has had this clicking in the chest since his Sr. yr in high school, 2011-2012. He's an athlete, football, basketball and track. He's 6'6", 270lbs and plays college football. He first noticed the clicking after one of his football games in 2012. He stated, it only bothers him off and on when, he lays on either one of his sides, it feels as though something needs to be popped in there, he hasn't ever felt any pain though. And when he stretches his chest like, when he reaches both arms around his back and pushes his chest out then, he feels and hears the pop/click and then its gone. When he lays on his chest and back, he doesn't feel it. He's able to live and do his sports, workout etc. normally. But when he lays on his side, that's when he feels the wierd feeling in there.
All,

Hi carly91
I too experiencing same problem as you but in my case my nose always blocks that time i wouldnt be able to breath in and i went to ENT doctor he said it is because one bone in nose interfering the breathness.so i need to undergo operation but i didnt do that and i went to pulmonlogisthe said everything is fine it is happening because of axiety.
I had a fall recently while ice skating. Not a bad fall, but I landed with some impact on my chest - my right lower rib cage took the brunt of it. The pain was moderate and sleeping was difficult for the first few days. Now, after one week the pain is mild but present enough to prevent me from sleeping on my right side - and also enough to make walking through crowds an uncomfortable experience for fear of bumping into someone. (No brisk man-hugs for awhile)
A couple of days in, while washing my hands, I noticed a thumping or knocking sound coming from my rib roughly below my right nipple. The alternating movement of rubbing my hands together causes an alternating thump-thump-thump sensation. It also happens with deep breaths and certain other movements. It's not painful, just not normal. Based on discussion here it seems to me that the only thing to do is wait for the healing process to re-stabilize the connective tissue where the costal cartilage joins with the rib.
I have had a similar problem except by tensing up muscles slightly I can make the sternal bump on the lower side of my ribs pop out a great deal, I used to experience and still do, serious pain when excersising or putting pressure on my lower ribs along with the popping, I have played sports and football and have taken some trauma to the chest and I am curious as to the cause of this and if I should be worried by how easy it is to move my sternum without touching it
I have the clicking noise when lying in my left side, but no pain at all.  If I turn over it goes away.  Had two heart valves repaired three years ago.  I am going in for an echo in a couple of weeks.  Will let you know what I find out.
yes im alfred from Kenya and im facing the same problem now 3 years ..the moment my chest produces the clicking sound i feel relieved and comfortable. But iv been loosing weight ..Please help