Exercise & Fitness Community
dislocated knee problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

dislocated knee problems

I
If you have a primary care doc, ask for a referral to a physical therapist. They should be able to show you some exercises for your particular problem. I myself don't have this problem, but if I did, I would visit an orthopedist and have them look at it and then get a referral for P.T. Good luck.
I myself just had ACL sx. But a girl that I worked with had the same thing, dislocation. She had sx ( very minimal) they went in and made a few small incisions and made a few incisions on the "tear drop" muscle. It worked. She was out for a week and has had no problems since. You might want to talk to an ortho. but leg extentions helps to build up the "tear drop" muscle to support the knee. You could look into that as well
Dislocations happen often with Ehlers Danlos Patients. The best thing to do for now is protect that knee with bracing. Do not do ANY exercise with resistance as it is hard on the joints. Do not push heavy weights but...keep the muscles as strong as you possibly can with lighter forms of exercise. EDS symptoms usually comes on in late teens or early twenties and then symptoms increase when hormones change again later in life (50's)
Can you touch the floor with your knees not bent? Do you bruise often and easily? Do you heal poorly? If any of these symptoms happen with you get to a geneticist to be diagnosed.
Yes, sometimes surgery can help a loose joint but they are not always successful. I know of an EDS patient that has had surgery 5 times on her knees because the surgery eventually fails. Our tissue is weak and seems to get weaker as we age.
Good luck. I hope that your knee problems are not EDS related but if they are it is important to know.
I know this is an old post but fi you still have this problem and have any answers let me know. I am 26 and had two operations to try and fix it and they made it worse. email me at ***@****
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi, you have to use proper technique when exercising or playing sports. Maintain strength and flexibility of the knee. Some cases of knee dislocation may not be preventable, especially if anatomic factors predispose you to dislocation. The use of the knee support is the most useful way. Physiotherapy can also provide exercises to strengthen the surrounding muscles. In recurrent cases, operations are sometimes required.