Exercise & Fitness Community
elbow pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

elbow pain

I've been weight training very regular now for several months, and the last couple of weeks or so, I've been experencing elbow pain after my workout. Lasting for several days with pain when bending my elbow. The pain is only in the right elbow (I'm right handed). It feels like a bruise on the outside of part of the elbow. I can also feel discomfort from my elbow when my arm is straight with a barbell/dumbell hanging down. I continue to workout with the pain during my next workouts, and its tolerable enough to finish my workout. The pain usually subsides after a day or so of not working out. I'm concerned  as to the extent and type of injury that I may have. Could it be a strained/torn tendon or ligament, bursitis or arthritis. And should I apply heat or ice if anything.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

The elbow is the joint where three long bones meet in the middle portion of the arm. The bone of the upper arm (humerus) meets the inner bone of the forearm (ulna) and the outer bone of the forearm (radius) to form a hinge joint.

The outer bone of the elbow is referred to as the lateral epicondyle and is a part of the humerus bone. Tendons are attached to this area which can be injured, causing inflammation or tendinitis (lateral epicondylitis, or "tennis elbow").

The inner portion of the elbow is a bony prominence called the medial epicondyle.
Additional tendons from the muscles attach here and can be injured, causing medial epicondylitis, "golfer's elbow."

A fluid-filled sac (bursa), which serves to reduce friction, overlies the tip of the elbow (olecranon bursa). The elbow can be affected by inflammation of the tendons or the bursae (plural for bursa) or conditions that affect the bones and joints, such as fractures, arthritis, or nerve irritation.

You need to go to an orthopedician for proper diagnosis and treatment. Stop your weights till you diagnose the case.

Take care!