Exercise & Fitness Community
exercises after breaking 3 metatarsal bones

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

I fell down a flight if stairs in late Aug. I wore a boot for a few weeks and returned to work 2 weeks ago. The pain in my foot has gotten worse lately. I think it's more associated with stiffness and pain in the arch and the outside of the anklel. I cannot afford physical therapy. Do hot soaks help and can anyone suggest exercises that may help?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Treatment of metatarsal fractures depends on the type and extent of the fracture, and may include: rest to promote healing; avoid any activity that may lead to repetitive stress; immobilize the affected foot; and the most important part is the follow-up care appointment with your doctor. Physical therapy, exercises and rehabilitation may be included in a schedule for return to normal activities.  

Recovery depends on the damage and which metatarsal bone is involved. It is important to apply ice and elevate the foot to minimize pain and swelling. It would be best to have it evaluated by your doctor first to rule out other causes.

Take care and keep us posted.