Exercise & Fitness Community
exercising after an injury

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

exercising after an injury

3321793?1219652979
On July 4th I was attacked by a pit bull and a german shepherd...  I was lucky in that they didn't manage to tear any tendons or ligaments and I did manage to kick them off and get to a hospital very quickly. (where I was staying was right across an alley from the hospital emergency room)  I was told that on my right leg, where the german shepherd got me around the back of my ankle, all he did was tear up the skin and its healing fine.  Up by the knee of my right leg the pit got me and there are some puncture wounds that are also healing nicely.  By nicely I mean there will be some scarring but nothing more than like a 6 inch hairline around the back of my ankle and some dots up by my knee-- no discoloration or loss of strength or sensation.  However on my left leg, about half way up my calf the pit chewed on me-- by this I mean she literally bit into the skin over and over until I got away.  In a space on the front of the calf, next to the chin bone, about the size of a dollar bill folded in half, there is now a half inch deep well where she tore all the fatty tissue out from under the skin and the doctor said she nicked the bone and muscle underneath as well as the bundle of nerves that runs down that part of your leg.  I have a line from the injury to my big toe about 2 inches wide that is completely numb aside from feeling pressure and cold (not hot).  I was told not to let my left leg swell up from walking or anything like that.  This was because they managed to save the bit of skin over the area but are/were afraid that if it were to swell it would pull the skin up off the muscle where it lies now.  Since the event I have lost a large amount of the strength in my left leg.  Where I used to be able to take stairs 2 at a time I now must step down each stair one at a time putting both feet on the same stair before continuing because my left leg cannot support my weight very long.  To further illustrate the difference, I forget the name of the machine where you sit in the little seat and push against the weight thingy... but since high school, I'm 23 now, I have been able to lift between 900 and 1100 lbs on said machine... now if I sink too far down in the tub I have to pull myself up with my arms to sit again because my left leg just can't push anymore.  I can say that I've lost 30 lbs since the ordeal, bringing me down to 200 lbs (but I'm also 5 foot 9 with a rather ample chest-- yeah I'm a girl)

I would like to know if there are any and what exercises I can do to help strengthen and build stamina after such trauma?  I have to do something!... 3 weeks before this happened I helped my Mom move her things into a storage unit.  Her bed posts weigh 80 lbs a piece and the headboard and footboard are closer to 150 or more.  She has a stand-up tanning booth that weighs 1500 lbs.  Between me and my Dad we moved everything ourselves onto the U-Haul and off again-- in one day.  We are getting ready to move halfway across the country now and there is almost nothing I can do to help-- and we just can't afford to hire big burly guys to come help out... I need to build some strength in my leg and be able to stand on it for more that 15 minutes before it starts to swell up...