Exercise & Fitness Community
exercising with a healing broken foot

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

exercising with a healing broken foot

I am 11 weeks into a broken foot. I broke my 5th meditacel.  My doctor says I can spin with very low resistence. Looking for a second opinion.  He says I'm 50% weight bearing on the foot. I tried spinning yesterday. I didn't break a seat as I'm afraid to use my foot too much.
After I fractured my femur I was afraid to exercise for over one year so this is very common. Just take things slow and don't over exert yourself, you will begin to feel pain if you are. If you want to do exercise maybe consider a rowing machine or a stationary bike with pumping handel bars.

If you can afford it you may want to consider physical thearpy or a trainer who specializes in rehab.
Hey, I'm in the same exact boat as you. Same broken bone for the past 11-12wks. I dont know about yours, but mine doesnt hurt at all. Doc told me it may never heal back. Im going to get a 2nd opinion...and try cycling at the gym this week. I'm used to running 5mi a day, dont know how much longer I can take this. Keep me posted on what happens.
i broke my foot about 3 years ago from excessive running in the marine corps. i now have a non union fracture that the doctor says will never heal. i still run on it. i love running so ill never stop even when i first broke it i never tolled anyone and i never stoped running. its all about how much pain you are willing to take. dont get me wrong i am not telling u to run on it, u should take it slow but eventually youll have to get back on that horse pain or not. can u take it?
I broke the 4th metatarsal in my foot 3+ months ago.  It is still quite painful, I wore a cast for 3 weeks, a boot for about 3-5 weeks and now am doing what I can with the physical therapy exercises they gave me the one time I went.  I also use the treadmill several times a week to build up my strength.  My podiatrist told me yesterday that healing the foot is a long process as we are always using it.  I forgot to ask him about the treadmill and have a call into him.  He said my bone is back where it needs to be yet only like a web, not solid yet.  He is ordering me a bone stimulator.
I broke my 3rd metatarsil 8 weeks ago, was in a cast for 3 weeks in stability sneakers for 3. the doctor told me that by week 9 I should be running again. Week 7 I started to walk at 4.5 (which is coo down for me normally) and my foot from the break to my toes burnt inside. I am now jogging at 6.3 for 2 laps with 1 lap walk at 4.5. I hate this. I am used to running at 7.5 for 45 minutes straight. The thing that still hurts is, I over pronunciate on my foot and just under my toes ontop of my foot swells. I have to learn how to strike dead center. Bought a new pair of Nike Shox M1 today and my foot doesnt hurt. BTW I have 12 other pair of sneaks. I want to be as active as I was before the break.
I had a stress fracture in my foot 13 years ago and it never healed.  I got it from running too much, I went from 60 miles per week to 100 miles per week.  At that time, they told me cycling was a good way to keep fit.  
Recently I started cycling and the same foot is starting to hurt again.  I have been doing a lot of hills, so there is a lot of force on that foot.  Not good, will cut back on hills.  I hate this!  I like exercising.  I wish someone could tell me how to fix this.  I am trying some orthotics, and cutting back on the hills.  
I am 11 weeks into healing a compound fracture that became a full separation and I haven't had any pain at all but I do get swelling often when I am on my feet for the day. I am a regular runner of 28 miles a week but next week I am gonna try just a mile...I can run and there is no pain at all even....I tell myself all will be well if treated with a level of respect for the injury. I was told I wouldn't run again because of the type of break.....when I do run it has been a couple of blocks but I am so excited to get my first mile. By the way...I broke my foot just playing around. It's just life(:
Hi Trish, simply replying for moral support. I broke my sesamoid bone a year ago and had the bone removed 9 months ago. It's been tough. I'm a hairstylist and a gym junkie. Love exercise. The last week my foot has gone for the worst, sitting in bed with ice pack off for from over usage. I have done all the recovery that was prescribed to me, was in moon boot post surgery then in comfortable shoes with minimal exercise. The pain has got worse in the past few months.
MY doctor told me today that I'm booked off for 6 weeks with ice pack and crutches. It's very tough but i miss exercise and i hate that i have to sit at work. This process has been soo emotional as i couldn't accept being away from gym. I do believe and ha've hope that all will be ok and ill be fully healed. Just nice to talk with people who understand your frustration. Will do weights at home with crutches with strict diet maybe swimming at later stage. Am thinking of a cast for 6 weeks to relieve all weight bearing activities. Any suggestions to this will be greatly appreciated. Candice age 25 south Africa