Exercise & Fitness Community
feels like my arms are losing oxygen

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

feels like my arms are losing oxygen

Sometimes when I run uphill, steep altitude gains, in the beginning my arms lose blood.  It's not pain, it's not numbness, but a weird ache like all the blood is rushing out of them.  I'm sure it has to do with all the blood going to my quads and glutes so they can push me up the hill.  But I don't know any of my friends that have this sensation.  Just wondering if it's unusual.
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include overexertion, lactic acid accumulation, low blood sugar, low blood pressure, neuro-muscular/ vascular causes etc. You may consider an evaluation by a primary care physician, if a specific cause is identified, it can be managed accordingly.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question.  Your answer is very vague as I'm sure there are too many variables to just "guess".  I received a response to this question on another forum that leaves me curious.  They wondered if my arm muscles were underdeveloped compared to the level of exertion I was pushing my legs/rest of my body.  This could be it.  I started doing more upper body weight training, and some arm endurance training.  We'll see if that helps.  I'm in pretty healthy shape otherwise.  

Thanks again!