Exercise & Fitness Community
headaches when weightlifting

Our Exercise & Fitness community to help you take charge of your health. Ask a question, join a conversation, get tips: fitness, nutrition, and management tools / trackers.

headaches when weightlifting

I am 17 and i have been lifting for two years now and my head has been relatively fine; however, in the last couple weeks during strenuous lifting i have been experiencing pain starting in the back of my neck, between my neck and skull, and then the pain spreading to the rest of my head and giving me a painful, throbbing headache.  I have been fine until this spontaneously started.  I am fine on the first several reps but once i get to the last few i really start to feel pain and the pain lasts until i go to sleep.  I believe i have tension headaches but so far i could not find anyone with an answer that got tension headaches from weightlifting.  Please if anyone has gone through a similar account or has advice, it would be appreciated.

thank you
dave  
Hi dav889, I have arnold chiari malformation and I lift weights, but have to be careful because I will get a pain in the back of my head and it will radiate up to the top of my head  if I don't quite soon enough.
Avatar dr m tn
Hello!

If the symptoms continue then do not neglect but follow up with a neurologist.

Any space occupying lesion, migraine, tumors can give rise to these symptoms with increased circulation due to physical exercise.

It can be also sinus or due to fatigue, it is always good to rule out medical problems.

Take care!
Avatar n tn
i have been sick with a cough, running nose, and soar throat.  Could that be the reason for my headaches?
Avatar dr m tn
Hello!

Sure viral cold and sinus will contribute to these symptoms.

You will have head aches, body aches, a feeling of malaise and weakness due to any viral attack. I would suggest you to rest for couple of days and take symptomatic relief in acetaminophen, anti histamines and cough syrups.

If the symptoms continue then follow up with an ENT.

Take care!
Have the headaches subsided? Did you determine that it was just the cold?
Just wanted to tell you that the same thing happened to me and it turns out that the piece of equipment I was using (for squats) wasn't properly adjusted for my height. I know the pain you're describing. It is excruciating. I switched to a recumbent type leg squat machine and no more pain. Sometimes it can be from bad form too.
Avatar n tn
I am resting like you said and I'm going to start again on Monday. My cold is subsiding and thank you for the advice.
Avatar n tn
I feel good and I'm going to go back to working out on Monday. I think your right about the form thing. I think I might have been driving my head back on incline press and not exhailing properly. I'm hoping it was just a cold though. It's good to know I'm not alone on this issue. Thanks a lot.
mishymoshymarcy "I don't let go of my thoug... Comment
KeeLolo commented on Baseline blood work a...
drifter0213 commented on advanced niTD
Apr 28
Achieve your weight goals
Exercise Tracker
Make exercise part of your routine