Exercise & Fitness Community
heart rate....what is dangerous?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

heart rate....what is dangerous?

I am a 59 year old male.  5'11" and 168 pounds.  I take a karate class (I am a 4th degree black belt)
2-3 times a week and I work out with weights for 45mins-1hr 2-3 times a week and I run outside or on
a treadmill 3 miles, 3 times a week .....8 min. mile the first mile....7 40 min. mile the second mile and 7:20 min.
mile the final mile.....the last 1/4 mile I run at a 1% incline.......I am measuring my heartbeat on the
treadmill at 173-175 beats a min. the final tenth of a mile of this run.....at the completion of the run my heart rate drops to 125 after 2 minutes......I don't feel spent....I feel winded but 'good'......my question is:  is a heart rate of 173-175
dangerous given that it exceeds what is 'recommended'.....(taking into account that I am in excellent
physical shape)?  Oh, and my standing heart rate is 62.  Thanks!
Tags: dangerous max. heart rate
Are you on any meds. or have any medical conditions? Working beyond your  range can lead to fatigue, orthopedic injury and even death! I suggest first getting cleared by your doctor! If he/she clears you then go for it! I just about all the time exceed my max. I don't know what formula you use to figure your H.R. But I suggest you figure your heart rate by this formula 
The Karvonen Formula is a mathematical formula that helps you determine your target heart rate zone. The formula involves using your maximum heart rate (MHR) minus your age to come up with a target heart rate range (which is a percentage of your MHR). Staying within this range will help you work most effectively during your cardio workouts. 
an example of the Karvonen formula for a 23 year old person with a resting heart rate of 65 beats per minute (*to get your resting heart rate, take your pulse for one full minute when you first wake up in the morning or after you've resting for a while). This formula also includes an updated calculation of maximum heart rate (the previous formula was 220 - age, which has now been shown to be inaccurate): 

206.9 - (0.67 x 23 (age)) = 191 
191 - 65 (resting heart rate) = 126 
126 * 65% (low end of heart rate zone) OR 85% (high end) = 82 OR 107 
82 + 65 (resting heart rate) = 147 
107 + 65 (rhr) = 172 
The target heart rate zone for this person would be 147 to 172 

First thing in the morning before you get out of bed have a clock with a second hand and check your resting heart rate then figure your rate by the 
Karvonen Formula above.

gymdandee.....many thanks for your thorough and helpful reply....I will use your formula to calculate MHR.....I think my heart rate is 'okay' but this will give me a great guideline......best....bogoore