Exercise & Fitness Community
lifestyle and cholesterol

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

lifestyle and cholesterol

Hi there ~ This may be a little bit off topic but I have been trying to get this question answered for some time now. In November I was diagnosed with high cholesterol (254 total; HDL 49, LDL 188, Triglycerides 86) and have since read that birth control pills cause your cholesterol to rise. I just started LoEstrin (JunelFe 1/20) in Dec, and also began a lowfat diet and exercise weight loss program. I do not smoke, and I am taking garlic supplements to try to help lower my cholesterol. I am 37 and there is a history of heart disease in my family, though I do not have it. However, I am concerned that the Pill will counter effect the changes I am trying to make, and I do not want to have to go on Lipitor or similar type of drug. I know that LoEstrin is an extremely low-dose pill, and so far it is working well for me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as to how to balance out this situation. Thanks!
Here's some advice: STOP TAKING IT! Why put yourself through this trouble when you can just stop taking it of your own free will. There are healthier ways of preventing pregnancy. Try the "Pull out" method during sex. It works. We need to start taking the simple easy natural steps necessary to prevent rather than going to the docs for a magic pill that causes so many problems in other areas. You have a plan to stay healthy yet daily you choose to swallow a pill that works against you. What since does that make?
YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUgKekv57hI&feature=youtube_gdata_player