Exercise & Fitness Community
loose acl

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

loose acl

Im currently 17 years old and a competitive soccer player. I have been offered a soccer scholarship to play next year in college beginning in august 2009. I injured my knee in july 2008 and have not played sinced. I have been to my orthopedic and they have said my acl is still intact but it is very loose and the option of a brace is available but i have the risk of tearing it complelty as well as other ligaments. Whereas I can opt surgery which I am out for 6-8 months evern though it is not torn. Any help is appreciated

Treatment of injuries to anterior cruciate ligament is based on patient’s preoperative level of activity. The following activity levels are based on the International Knee Documentation Committee:
Level I includes jumping, pivoting, and hard cutting.
Level II is heavy manual work or side-to-side sports.
Level III encompasses light manual work and noncutting sports (eg, running, cycling).
Level IV is sedentary activity without sports.
Nonsurgical treatment may be considered for patients who participate in level III or IV activities; all others should be considered as candidates for surgery. In addition, surgery is considered on any young athlete due to potential complications from recurrent instability.

http://www.emedicine.com/sports/TOPIC9.HTM

So unfortunately,medical treatment involving non surgical methods is unlikely.
Hope I have provided you with sufficient information.In case you need any more then pls post us.

Thank You. Is there any specific kind of surgical treatment that I could receive ?

Arthroscopic surgery or open surgery may be performed for anterior cruciate ligament injuries. Surgery involves reconstruction of the damaged ligament using a strip of tendon from the patient's knee (patellar tendon) or hamstring muscle(autografts).In some cases, allograft, xenograft and artificial ligaments may be used. It is followed by an exercise and rehabilitation program to strengthen the muscles and restore full joint mobility

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do kep me posted on how you are doing.

Im receiving surgery on the  23rd of this month. My doctor told me that if the ligament is not torn they are simply going to stitch the ligament and I will be fine and if not they will do a complete reconstruction surgery.
I have just had an Arthroscopy after an MRI scan showed a problem with my meliscus. However after the op i was told that my meliscus was fine and that the main part of my upper anterior is very loose and not having any significant function. Should this have shown up on my MRI ? Also what is the best action to take so i am able to play football and snowboard again? Would building up the muscle around my knee be sufficiant?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

If it is due to trauma then I would suggest you to keep your knee immobilized for 2-3 weeks in a bandage and followed by physiotherapy.

With this small amount of peripheral tears will heal.

Take care!