Exercise & Fitness Community
median nerve numbness, need help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

median nerve numbness, need help

This appears to be an arm wrestling injury. I have had fairly consistent numbness and tingling in my thumb, index and middle finger in my left hand for over a week. It started the morning after a night which include some intense arm wrestling. My first thought was the carpel tunnel since there was a lot of wrist strain in the wrestling. I've iced my wrist on and off and it did not appear to have any significant effect. I then iced my elbow on the advise of a trainer but that has not shown any significant results thus far.

There has been some very minor pain in my left shoulder. Could it be that I have torn something in there which effected only that nerve? Is it possible that it is in fact in my elbow? Considering  there was much stress on it at the time. How can I best diagnosis and/or treat myself? My occupation calls for physical exertion.

Thank you.
You are right in thinking that your median nerve is getting affected. Having said that your median nerve could have got affected due to pressure, injury or any tear.
You should be consulting an orthopaedician for evaluation regarding elbow joint and also for Carpal tunnel syndrome.
Alternatively a visit to a neurologist would also help you.
You should be getting an imaging study of elbow and wrist.
Electro-diagnostic studies are routinely obtained in order to delineate the site of nerve entrapment and the degree of nerve injury.
Electro-diagnostic studies should be performed if the diagnosis is in doubt or if surgery is considered.
Hope this helps.
Bye.
Thanks for your help.

If there was a tear somewhere in my shoulder or back, would I feel it? Would it hurt significantly or click?

Also, I've noticed one thing. The only time when I can significantly feel the numbness increase is when I make bicep flex and curl my wrist down or in towards the bicep. Without the wrist curling it is fine, but when I curl it, it goes numb. Does this mean its more likely to be in the carpel tunnel?