Exercise & Fitness Community
pain in both shins when walking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

pain in both shins when walking

Recently I've had quite a bad pain in both my shins from just walking, I do normally walk quite quickly and the pain seems to go away after about 5 or 10 mins of either standing still or sitting down. I don't get this pain from walking around the house but only after continuous walking outside, the pain comes afer about 2 or 3 mins of walking. When the pain occurs I have to slow down my walking by a large amount and upon checking my shin muscles they are very hard and seem to be swolen, there is no visible changes to them, no bruising or redness etc.

When im not walking outside my shins feel perfectly normal no pains or strange feelings at all. I'm 33 years of age and I have never had problems walking large distances, sometimes for over an hour even. These days I do spend alot of time sitting down at a computer so I'm wondering if this has something to do with the problem, or could it be that i just walk too fast? thanks for any help.
Medial tibial syndrome, or Shin Splints is a nondescript pain in the front, back or side of the tibia.  It usually follows after a strenous or repetitive exercise and is often related to faulty foot mechanics.  It can also be caused by a reduction of blood flow to the muscles from clogged arteries in the leg.  Proper shoes or foot orthotics may help.  Treatment of the pain would be rest, ice, and anti-inflammatories. Check with your MD or Orthopedic MD for vericose veins or arterial blockages to make sure that is not the cause. Running after 30years of age should not be done on hard surfaces such as cement or tarmac (streets).  These are hard on the feet, ankles and knees. Power walk, jog or run on grassy surfaces or on commerical cork tracks.  These surfaces may give you a harder workout for calorie burning and are easier on aging knees, ankles, and feet.  Good luck.
thanks for the reply, I took a long walk today and it seems that before I was just walking too fast, took it a bit slower and did not get any  pain or uncomfortable feeling at all.
I have pain in both of my shins all of the time - no one has been able to determine what the cause is - the pain occurs no matter whether I am sitting, standing or walking - which I can't do!  I used to walk at avery good clip - my husband couldn't keep up with me - but now _ can't walk 50 feet without very bad pain - I had an angio plasti on one leg - did no good - the shins still hurt so bad - they wake me in the middle of the night as well - can anyone give me any insight???  I am not a runner or a great fan of walking daily.  I have bad varicose veins in one leg, but the pain starts in the other leg and then goes to the leg with the bad veins - I am scheduled for laser surgery on the bad leg with the veins next month, but don't hold out much hopt.  If anyone has any suggestions or help, please let me know - I am so discouraged - by the way, these symptoms came on suddenly, not gradually.  Thank You Jean
I too have this problem although i can remember the pain as long back as when i was 14 (i am 40 now) when i used to walk 4 miles to school. Over the past 5 years i can only walk a minute and the pain in my shins flare up so bad, my feet feel numb and floppy, my heart rate goes sky high, sweats and i have to stupidly stand and pretend i am reading some important message on my phone or take a fake call ;-) The pain actually is so bad it brings tears to my eyes. No swelling just tightness of both shins. I have tried shoes with a lift and this didnt help. To me it seems the doctors really do not know what it is? I HAVE noticed however that when i am walking with my partner arm in arm and talking away with each other the pain isnt there!!! ( my mind is on other things) Maybe this problem is also affected by the brain? I am not a doctor but as you know when we have this problem we note everything that may cause it. I now feel stupid going to the doctors as they never seem to be able to do anything. It IS ruining my quality of life as at the best of times i feel great but unfortunately walking is a BIG part of life. P.s i NEVER took part in sports so it isnt always a sports injury like most articles say.
Wow, this is exactly what I feel. I have also noticed talking to someone prevents the pain. I try not to think about it too much while walking to prevent the pain from occurring, but trying not to think about it is basically thinking about it so it ... burns!

Haha, I pretend to read an important text too and slow down my pace.

I find walking downhill does not cause a problem, but walking uphill does.

Found any solution? I haven't been to docs but after reading your comment, I don't think there would be any point.