ripping/popping in chest, hard to take deep breaths, no pain
For the past few months I've been having terrible problems with my neck and left shoulder blade (sometimes paralyzing), and have been seeing a chiropractor. During this same period I began to feel a ripping sensation in my chest whenever I stretch my shoulders backward, especially when shifting (not tilting) my head backwards at the same time.

It makes a short and distinct ripping sound, however it generates no pain.
Over the past two weeks now I've started to find it difficult to take deep breaths.

I see lots of people have been posting similar symptoms all over the net, however no-one seems to be getting an answer.

Does anyone here know what this might be?

Could it be connected to whatever is going on with my back problem (the cause of this is still unknown)?

Many thanks
Hey some time I also feel problem in taking breaths. I feel I am not able to breath properly and i will die.
Hi there!

Well, this sounds like muscular spasm/ inflammation. While acute cases are associated more with pain, chronic cases tend to have a discomfort rather than pain. You have not described the exact problem with the neck and shoulder blade, though one may like to rule out joint problems and nerve impingement in such cases. Also what is your difficulty while taking deep breaths? If you are trying to describe an irritant or painful feeling, this could be due to inflammations of the chest wall structures, particularly the involvement of the pleura (membrane covering the lungs) causing pleuritis etc. Other possible causes include lung infections, costochondritis, rib fractures, growths etc. If it is just difficulty in breathing, in the sense that you find it tiring to breathe and are gasping for breath; this could be due to respiratory or cardiac causes; though a few other systemic issues like endocrine abnormalities, renal abnormalities etc could cause this as well. It would be best to get this evaluated by a primary care physician. An evaluation may include a complete physical examination and a few tests like blood and urine routine, CRP, ESR, serum CPK, creatinine, LDH, imaging studies like X-ray, EKG etc. After a diagnosis is made, it can be managed accordingly.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Thank you for taking your time to post this information for me.
I will definitely take this to a physician and have taken your comments on board, but in the meantime I'd still like to find out as much as possible beforehand.

To answer your questions. My neck and shoulde-blade pain seems to be a severe case of torticollis, according to my chiropractor. The worst period seems to be over with this, yet I still feel very aware of it on a daily basis and I've learned not to make certain movements. So something is definitely still out of place.

Going to my breathing, there is no pain. I feel like I need to take a deep breath, yet the intake doesn't satisfy my lungs. I find myself stretching my neck back and lifting my head to take in as much air as possible, until I finally get the intake that I need. I guess you could call it a mild form of "gasping".

Since both problems are at the same height in my torso, and since both started within a month of each other, I'm wondering if they're connected. Or at least I'm hoping they are, if it's just due to a *relatively* simple back problem which is impeding on my lungs.

I wonder if this you have any opinions on this? I would really appreciate to hear what you thought.

Many thanks again.
Hi again!

Well, I would suggest an evaluation by your primary care physician for the torticollis as well as the breathing issue. Acquired cases of torticollis often have an underlying cause like a cervical spine abnormality that would need to be evaluated for. Stretching exercises are helpful, which I understand would have been initiated by your chiropractor. For the breathing, it is possible for this to be an issue with lung volumes which could occur conditions like asthma, COPD, fibrosis etc. The first may requite a specialist intervention by a neurologist/ orthopedician and the latter by a pulmonologist if any abnormality if found. However I would sincerely advise an initial evaluation by a primary care physician.
Hope this information was useful.

Take care!
Did you ever find a resolution to this? I have the exact same problem as you.