Exercise & Fitness Community
should i check my igf-1 or hgh?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

should i check my igf-1 or hgh?

hello im 5'9.5" 150 lbs. started at 120lbs and gained to 150lbs. it is extremely hard to gain weight for my ectomorphic body type. iv been working out 3 days out of the week doing full body exercises and iv seen changes through my whole body ,but my arms are still super thin from the front. from side they look very nice but from the front they look very thin and weak ,anyways i was wondering is their a medical reason or something why my arms wont really grow they are 13.5 flexed and i cheat barbell curled 85lbs for 6 reps ,and i do weighted dips with 60lbs 3x8 with good form. i was thinking about taking this medical, i was thinking about taking a blood test to check for my  

1. Testosterone, Free (Direct), Serum with Total
   2. Human Growth Hormone
   3. Insulin-Like Growth Factor-1 (IGF-1)

the test is very expensive. iv taken a Dihydrotestosterone blood test and my doctor told me i was fine.

if i have low hgh and igf-1 wouldn't that mean that my chest and other body parts wouldn't grow too? because its just my arms. i often get **** about it because it seems my arms are too thin for my body. but when i take my shirt off my body looks proportional. here are my stats

5x5 squats 215lbs
5x5 bench 165lbs
5x5 barbell rows 125lbs
3x8 weighted dips 60lbs
5x5 over head press 115lbs
1x5 deadlift 235lbs
3x8 pull ups 10lbs
3x8 barbell curls 80lbs
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Your vital statistics of workouts are pretty good!

Do not worry as your weight gain may be due to muscle, you would need to calculate the amount of muscle and fat and the present proportions in your body.

At 5 feet 9 inches with a weight of 150 pounds you are in a normal BMI of 22.

Take care!

Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Take care!

im 146lbs and 5'9.5" and 23yrs old. I went to the doc and he told me my

igf-1 278ng/ml
growth homone, serum .3ng/ml

are these normal or below avg?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

For age groups between 16 and 24 years the normal ranges of IGF-1 and growth hormone are:

IGF 1

Male and female: 182 - 780ng/dl or 1.82 - 7.8 ng/ml, your value is high

Growth hormone:

Male and female 500mcgs i.e 0.5 ng and you value is low.

Discuss with an endocrinologist.

Take care!

what if i didn't eat anything 12 hours prior to blood test? could that be the reason why my growth hormone is low? would my growth hormone raise after i eat food?
is the growth hormone in a normal range for a 23 year old? and i also took a blood test at my gp and for chemistries my liver function and kidney function is fine and my thyroid(tsh) is at 1.344 which is also normal.
i appreciate you answering my questions
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Your IGF-1 of 278ng/dl is normal and for growth hormone I would suggest you to repeat the test at another laboratory.

Growth hormone secretion is also part of a negative feedback loop involving IGF-I. High blood levels of IGF-I lead to decreased secretion of growth hormone, so repeat both of them after a month to monitor your progress.

If the 2nd report suggests that your growth hormone levels are low for your age then follow up with and endocrinologist, who is an expert to diagnose the reasons for GH deficiency.

Take care!