Exercise & Fitness Community
sternum clicking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

sternum clicking

the same as all of you i get te same problem, im 16 and ive had this for a while, i get it when i stretch and push my chest out and also when you take a deep breath my chest expands causing like ripping sounds in my chest, have any of you ot wide sternums or is it just me? please email me stiffmeister_69***@****
Hi Jord,
How are you feeling?
It is common to have feeling of pain in sternum while doing bench press.
Can you exactly tell us what you want?
If you are feeling that you have sounds in your chest while doing bench press or other exercise which have started recently suggests that there might be an infection or you might have hyper-reactive airway disease.
I think you should be consulting a physician at earliest and get yourself evaluated and discuss regarding further management.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.
i was stretching one day and heard my chest pop. after this, i started having pain along each side of my sternum, the pain is more intense on the left side. Also, if i push on my sternum, there is a great deal of pain. i have had this pain for about a week now. it is very painful and sore. it is very difficult for me to find a good position to rest in when i try to go to bed. can anyone tell me what is wrong with me.
Hi - I have the same as you had - haev experienced it for several years - when I stretch and breathe in deeply the centre of my chest clicks like when I crack my knuckles - Your post was over a year ago - did you get it seen to or is it still the same? It doesn't hurt me but sounds horrible and I don't want it to get worse or make me a cripple when I am older (I'm 29 now.) Can you let me know please? Mike. (mike.***@****)
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Go for a simple X-ray to find out about your chest bones ribs, sternum, clavicle and other bones. Sometimes it occurs due to some injury and also due to abnormal sleep position. If you have perfect X-rays and no infection there is no cause to worry. Take care!
if you have perfect xrays and your in pain then  there is cause to worry. typical text book doctor reponse.
hi its jord here! havent looked at this thing in ages! i still get the same popping and its 2 years later even more! its something i think i might have to live with and i go through days were it can be worse than other days, i cannot sleep on my side or the next day it will ache like hell, slouching isnt good, the best thing i found was to fix my posture but this is usually really hard to keep doing, i was told that another bad thing is that my peck muscles are stronger than my back muscles therefore fixing my posture would be alot harder, its probably the worst thing ever as it is a central part of ur body and as im a freerunner also movement is one thing i do not want to lose or have trouble with, id preffer a dodgy knee or something. its clicked again right now....