tight and swollen calf muscles
Legs are swelling on and off, tight calf muscles.  Walk dog often, but does not help. Walking is only excerise, but am always gardening, cleaning.  I would like to walk more, what can I do to alleviate discomfort and swelling so I can excersie more, walking longer distance.  I am 55 and in good health as far as I know.  Pulled calf muscle and it seriously hurts to stretch calf area, heard a pop, felt like a ball hit it? Help?
You may want to see a doctor to rule out DVT which can be a very serious medical condition if not properly treated. But a more common cause of calf problems is do to not strecthing before exercsing and not cooling down after exercising. Also being older you should do some simple strecthes before doing basic long distance walking.

Another thing to consider is not getting enough calcium and water in your diet.
It is doubtful (not impossible) that you have a DVT since you experience swelling in both your legs.  It is likely lack of stretching before and after exercise or water intake as LukeL said.  You may also look into taking a multivitamin in case you have a deficiency of some sort.  It is recommended that all people over the age of 50 take a MV.  

You may also look at your shoes. If there is insufficient padding, it could be causing your legs to ache.  If you walk primarily on concrete or uneven areas, move to softer and more even ground as this can also be a problem.  As you get older, the body loses elasticity and is more sensitive to these types of things.  

The most important thing is to prevent serious injury.