Exercise & Fitness Community
tingling/superficial numbness in calves

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

tingling/superficial numbness in calves

I am a 32 year old female, 5'8" 175 lbs. I recently started working out on a regular basis and have developed a strange tingling/superficial numbness on the front portion of both of my calves.  I weight train and do 15 minutes on the stationary bike and 15 minutes on the eliptical machine.  There is no pain, it just feels like I am touching my skin through a thin pair of knee socks.  I noticed this yesterday as I was shaving my legs and it has not yet subsided. It is very stange and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this or knows what I may be able to do about it. I have also experienced some lightheadedness recently. Thanks in advance for any suggestion, all info is greatly appreciated.
I have a numb skin sensation on the back of my ankles and lower calves. I jog 4-5 times a week, not far, a couple of miles. My skin in that area feels numb all the time, and no pain. Any help would be appreciated.
It sound like you have compartment syndrome. It's pressure build-up in a certain compartment of the leg. I am not a doctor but I am in the army, and I began to develop numbness in the back of my right calf and ankle. It wasn't pain but it was very uncomfortable to the point where when I ran my foot went numb as well and starts to drag.  Sudden increase in excersice, especially running, is usually the cause.  I just had fasciotomy, which is surgical treatment for it.  You get an incision on the affected compartment and fluid, which causes the pressure, is released.  You should be good to run again after a month or so.  The problem with me was they cut over the wrong compartment (the side of my shins) so when I run, I still have the same problem!