umbilical hernia
Hi, 6 years ago i had my 2nd child and developed an umbilical hernia, which i had surgery for the repair.  I now have had a 3rd baby - 5 months now- and have the umbilical hernia has returned.  I wondered if there was any specific exercises that i could do to try and rectify this as i do not want to have more surgery, thanks
Hi, This is difficult to correct without surgery. In fact, delay will only gradually exacerbate the present hernia, and the gap in your abdominal muscles around the umbilicus will widen with time.
Unfortunately, heavy exercises too will worsen the condition, so I would not recommend these till you are properly evaluated by a surgeon. Certain exercises such as progressive relaxation and deep-breathing techniques may be performed to reduce postoperative pain and speed recovery
hi I have one to and was told not to do any exercise such as sit ups til its corrected and that it can come back after surgery unless I lose weight down to my goal weight....i can get surgery if i lose 20 pds but my goal weight is 50 pds in order to be 130 pds again. they use a mesh thing to rebuild a wall behind the hernia i am told to help it from coming through again...they told me a good 3 to 6 months of slow abdominal exercise if i want to heal properly and for long term.so i am trying to lose the whole 50 pds before surgery,. best wishes to you!
p.s. so far walking has been the best and easiest thing on my hernia